Disbelief (Baekhyun)

The Silence Between Us Says Everything

To be honest, dating Chanyeol was like a dream.

Every time he picked me up for a date, I pinched myself just to make sure that I was awake.  I was still ridiculously in love with Chanyeol, and the feeling seemed to be mutual.  Everything was going great... until my birthday.

 

"So, what's Chanyeol doing for your birthday?" Kyungsoo asked while flicking through the variety of shirts on the discounted sales rack.

"I don't know, he's going to surprise me.  Do you think he's going to throw me a surprise party?" I bit my lip, smiling at the thought of whatever Chanyeol was going to do.  I had already made my mind up; I was going to love it either way.  When we were kids, his gifts were never quite perfect; but he found a way to make it amazing.

Kyungsoo chuckled, "Well, I haven't gotten an invitation.  So, you should put that dream to bed."

"Ah, but how do I know you're not just saying that to throw me off of your tracks?  The mind games begin." I wiggled my fingers at Kyungsoo.  He let out a sharp snort and turned to look at a different rack.

"Soo?" I asked; he hummed in response, "Why are we here?"

Kyungsoo pursed his lips, "Jongin's sister is coming to town."  I stared blankly.  "I need to impress her.  Baek, have you ever met her?"

"No, Kyungsoo, no.  I have met neither of his sisters, they were in a completely different age bracket.  Also, is Kai introducing you to family?  That's a big step."  I felt my lips stretch into a grin.

"Um." Kyungsoo was suddenly very interested in an out of style necktie.

"Kyungsoo."

"He doesn't exactly know that I know she's coming."  Kyungsoo confessed as I took the tie from his hands.  I gave him a stern look.

"I was just thinking that I could happen to run into her and we'd bond.  Is it bad that Jongin doesn't want me to meet her?" Kyungsoo looked up with eyes the size of the moon.

"Soo, I don't think discount dress shirts are going to impress her."  I told him, running my hands along the top of a clothing rack. 

"I'm nervous.  I panic when I'm nervous." Kyungsoo stopped sifting through clothes and headed for the exit.

"You'll do great." I gently bumped his side as we ambled down the sidewalk.  Kyungsoo smiled at me.

 

My birthday was two days later.  Kyungsoo and I had coffee to celebrate my birthday.  He gave me one of my favorite brands of eyeliner.  I told him he shouldn't have, even though I was secretly thrilled on the inside.  If this was what Kyungsoo got for me, what would Chanyeol give me?

I showed up at Chanyeol's apartment around 6:00 PM, looking the nicest I possibly could.  I must've changed outfits 12 times and redone my eyeliner over and over.  I was going to look perfect with my perfect boyfriend who'd undoubtedly planned the perfect evening.

I rapped on the door with three crisp knocks.  I smiled to myself, thinking of a slightly flirtatious, pithy thing to say.  The door swung open and it was Kai.

"Hi." I said with a little wave.

"Hey, Baekhyun, what's up?" Kai held the door awkwardly, seeming somewhat confused by my presence.

I let out a small chuckle, "Where's Chanyeol?"

"Do you guys have a date tonight or something?" Kai questioned.

"Ha ha ha, see how I'm laughing, but no seriously where is he?" It was cute that Kai was pretending not to know, but this was my first birthday with my perfect man of my dreams.

Kai puffed out his cheeks, "I really think he should've told you if he was going to work overtime on your date night.  He's at work, Baek."

I laughed soullessly, "He's at work?"

"Yeah."

"He's working tonight?" I rephrased.

"Sorry, Baek." Kai shrugged and slowly closed the door.  I stood there, stunned and in disbelief.  There was no way on the face of the planet that Park Chanyeol could've possibly forgotten my birthday.

I went through several levels of rage from "we're over" to "he should start sleeping with one eye open because I'm going to end his life".  I somehow managed to return to my apartment without snapping at an innocent bystander.  I was fuming and every single second that passed made me even angrier.

I contemplated calling him to chew off his head.  He needed to be reminded of my birthday?  He needed to be told that I wanted to spend time with him on my favorite day of the year?  My anger resigned to disbelief that was quickly replaced by sadness.

 

"He didn't even call me.  At all." My voice cracked.  Kyungsoo gently patted my back as we walked to meet Kai.  Well, I wanted to talk to Kyungsoo, but Kai needed to meet him at a cafe.  I knew Kyungsoo was hoping that it was for Kai to introduce him to his sister.

"Maybe he got caught up?" Kyungsoo offered.

"I did not receive a single communication from him yesterday.  Not a call, text, email, fax, letter, or smoke signal. Nothing, he didn't even try to do anything.  He forgot my birthday." I whined.

Kyungsoo paused, "Well... Baekhyun, I don't know how to make it better."

"You know what's worse, Kai probably told him that I stopped by.  When Chanyeol got back from work, Kai would've told him that I stopped by and he didn't even call me to ask why I showed up.  Maybe this is a sign." I sighed.

"First of all, since when do you believe in fate?  Secondly--" Kyungsoo's words died in his throat.  I tracked his line of sight to see what stole Kyungsoo's words.

Oh, it was worse than whatever I thought I was going through.

It was a position entirely too intimate for a public place.  My heart broke for Kyungsoo.  He thought that this was Kai taking the next step by introducing him to his family.

There was no way that Kyungsoo would've guessed that he would see the love of his life standing in the middle of a sidewalk clutching at another woman.  Their lips were practically welded together, I could almost hear them from where I stood.

Kyungsoo and I couldn't tear our eyes away even after they broke the passionate kiss.  Kai hugged the woman closer and his eyes drifted in our direction.  Kai released the woman in his arms, but it was far too late.

Kyungsoo ran.  I stood there in disbelief, where exactly had we gone wrong?



A/N:

Hi.  I have finals and I'm really busy.

Sorry for the time jump.

I apologize, on several levels.  The Kaisoo that no one asked for and Baekyeol drama~ Remember the fluff of last chapter?  To be continued...