Caught Up (Chanyeol)

The Silence Between Us Says Everything

I guided Baekhyun to the Lay's ice cream parlor.  Baekhyun didn't resist at all, which gave me hope.

I sort of shoved Baekhyun into a seat towards the back of Lay's parlor.  I set my umbrella down and immediately went to find Lay.  Lay was staring at businessman outside of the store front.  The guy was on his phone, probably with a lover of some sort, but Lay just stared dreamily completely ignoring the customer in front of him, then again Lay's default face was staring dreamily.

"LAY." I coughed loudly to gain his attention.  He refocused on me, and before a question could form on his lips, I spoke.  "Chocolate ice cream sundae."

Lay grabbed a bowl and looked at me, "Did you want a brownie or cookie base?"

"Brownie."

I got him to pile on whipped cream, chocolate syrup, marshmallows, and sprinkles.  I paid before Lay could even ask me to.  I grabbed two spoons and made my way back to Baekhyun at the table.

Baek seemed to be lost in his thoughts, so I cleared my throat.  His eyes snapped into focus as he remembered that he'd come here with me.  His eyes drifted between me, the spoons, and the sundae.  "What...?"

"Unless six years have changed the amount of ice cream on a brownie topped with chocolate sauce, whipped cream, sprinkles, and marshmallows you can eat at once, this is good right?"  I briefly thought back to when we were kids, and we'd always share sundaes because despite all of Baekhyun's talk, he never could finish one.  "We used to do this all the time."  (Sometimes I would just come here and get sundaes and miss him, but I wasn't going to tell him that.  Not yet.)

He paused, contemplating what I'd just said and picked up a spoon, "It's fine."

The conversation fell dead as we ate the gigantic pile of sugar in front of us.  I quietly studied him with a longing.  Six years and he didn't seem worse for wear.  How could he be just the same but not feel it?

"What's been up with you?" Baekhyun interrupted my admiration of him.

I set my spoon down in the bowl.  "Well, um, where do I start?  I mean I went to college and graduated.  I work from home most of the time because I make graphics for all sorts of things.  Kai is my roommate now." I found out I was in love with you. "I think that's it."  I wanted for him to fill in some of the blanks.

"For someone hell-bent on catching, that was pretty short." He commented before his spoon clean.

How exactly was I supposed to tell him that I had spent six years imagining finding him and telling him that I realized that we were meant to be together?  Like, I broke up with Kai when I realized it was you.  "Well, I spent a lot of time missing you and worrying.  I was so worried.  I mean you just left without telling me.  You changed your phone number."  I realized I was getting angry. "I had a lot of time to think about it. You didn't even tell me your parents were moving.  That doesn't happen overnight."

Oh yes, I had had a lot of time to let that betrayal sink in.  While I did spend some time pining over him, reality slapped me in the face.  My best friend, MY BEST FRIEND, had weeks to tell me that he was leaving, weeks.  He didn't say anything.

Baekhyun sighed, "As I recall it, the last few months of high school, you were always too busy to come to my house."

Was that an excuse?  Sure, I was being a crappy person because I was with Kai.  Did the idiot sitting across from me not know how important he was to me? 

"You left me alone." I let out the pained whisper.

"You have Kai." He said, way way too lightly.

"Kai isn't you." That was the entire problem with my relationship with Kai.

Baekhyun was quiet for a minute.  He stared at the door and responded, "I know." He got up and left.  Unbelievable.  Why did he keep leaving?  He didn't have an umbrella, and he hated being wet.

I grabbed my umbrella and ran out after him.   I was so done with him running away from me.  I opened my umbrella and dashed after him.  I was damp by the time I caught up to him because the umbrella wasn't really protecting me.

"HEY BYUN BAEKHYUN!" I yelled at him. 

He froze, and when he turned around I enveloped him a hug, pulling us both under the protection of the umbrella.  I crushed him against me, hoping that he would get it.  Hoping that he would get that he was the only one I wanted to hug in a romantic way.  Just feeling his warmth against my chest made me need him even more.

He was stiff in my arms until he came his senses apparently.  He pushed me away with a shocked look on his face. "What are you doing?"

"You may have caught up with me, but I haven't caught up with you." I said, extending my arms so that he was back under the umbrella.

"We're not catching up in the middle of the street."

"I wasn't suggesting that." I replied.  I raised my hand to hail a taxi.  Luckily enough, a yellow cab stopped immediately.  I opened the car door and motioned for Baekhyun to get in.

He glared at me as he pushed past and into the cab.  I jumped in after him and gave the driver an address.

 

Baekhyun and I exited the cab, and he immediately stopped.  "Um, Chanyeol, where are we?"

I didn't answer his question, but instead, I opted to drag him along yet again.  I pulled him through the front door and straight to the front desk.  "Hi, Jongdae."

Jongdae smiled widely, "Hello Mr. Park, do you have a guest today?"

I nodded, and Jongdae handed me a key.  "He can put his things in one of the spare lockers.  Enjoy your time."

I smiled, "Thank you."

Baekhyun started, "What--"

His words died as soon as I began leading him away again.  I quickly navigated my way to the locker room.   Once we stopped Baekhyun regained his senses. "What are we doing?  Where are we?"

"We're at the gym."

His response: "I don't have my work out clothes."

"They have spare."  I turned him around for him to find the meticulously stacked shirts and shorts in various sizes.

"Oh."  He breathed.

"We'll get changed, and then we can catch up."  I patted his shoulder and went to my locker.  I swiftly changed.  The nerves were gnawing at my confidence.  This was how I was going to catch up and maybe perhaps woo him. I think that it was my grand gesture, you know the ones that movies are always talking about.

I rushed returned to find Baekhyun finishing up.  I caught a glimpse of his pale back.  I wondered if it had any freckles on it, briefly, it was a fleeting thought.  I wasn't really surprised when it popped into my mind.  For the past six years, I wondered what it would be like to memorize every inch of his skin.

"Ready?" I asked.

"What are we doing?"  He asked once more.

"We're going to play soccer."

 

Baekhyun fell on his .  He was panting really hard, using his arms to keep in from completely sprawling out on the floor.  He let his head fall back.  His face was flushed as sweat glistened on both his face and arms.  There were wet patches on his t-shirt from the perspiration.  "I still at this."

I walked over to sit next to him.  I handed him the bottle of water I had gotten him.  "You haven't been practicing? For shame."  I teased.

"How is this catching up?" He asked.

"Well, I know you haven't been working out actively.  I mean you responded to my questions concisely because you didn't want to waste air.  Otherwise you probably would've overthought it."

Baekhyun cracked open his water and chugged.  Some of the water overflowed and created a little stream running down his neck.  He gasped for more air after his intense quenching of thirst.  "How do you over think questions about your own life?"

"You'd find a way." I nudged him.

He laughed.  It was good to hear him laugh after so long.  Longing consumed me.  He turned to look at me, surely to give me a witty comeback.  He didn't say anything for moment.  I felt myself moving forward slowly, so slowly.  I wanted to kiss him.  Really badly.

"How's Kai been?"  Baekhyun asked, suddenly break our eye contact and the .

"Kai's... Kai.  He hasn't changed much, he's still searching for the one."  I didn't want to talk about Kai, not when I was a inch away for kissing Baekhyun.

"How do you mean?"

"You know, trial and error, dating, but I think he really likes your friend Kyungsoo." I said, deciding to take a sip of water.

Baekhyun stared at me for a moment.  It wasn't clicking for me why the gears in his head were turning.  "Kai likes Kyungsoo?"

"Yeah, all he's been talking about since Kai met him.  Now that I think about it, it's only been like 2 days." I chuckled.  "I mean, Kai's dated a few guys.  There was me, Sehun, Tao, I wanna say that he dated a girl named Krystal maybe?  But, this Kyungsoo guy, it's like how I was when I realized how I felt about you."

Oh no.  I just accidentally confessed.

Baekhyun stared at me, but I couldn't look at him.  He was over it, isn't that what he said?  I looked away. 

Baekhyun began to talk, "What do you mean when you realized how you felt about me?  Park Chanyeol, what do you--"

I didn't know how exactly I managed to do it.  I was pressing my lips against Baekhyun to answer his question.  I was kissing Baekhyun.

The irony did not escape me.

At least this time, I knew why I was kissing him.


a/n: I almost forgot to add an author's note.

Right guys, I'm tired.  So, hopefully this is okay?  Please don't leave.  This is like the only fic that I'm trying to work on because it's my favorite.  please comment?

<3 :-*