I miss you. (Chanyeol)

The Silence Between Us Says Everything

It had been six years since I last talked to my best friend.  Six years since he told me that he was in love with me without actually saying it.  Six years since he cut me out of his life.

Life without Baekhyun was something I'd never imagined before.  It was one of those things that I assumed would continue forever.  He was always going to be my best friend.  Even now, without him, there was still a place in my heart for him.  It was constantly awaiting his return, ready to completely forgive him.  Ready to tell him about all the things Baekhyun wasn't there for.  Ready to tell him that I realized I loved him too.

By the time I started my freshman year of college, Kai and I were no longer together.  I remember it rather poignantly.

 

"Chanyeol, I don't think we're going to work out." Kai had told me while we were watching a movie on my couch.

I turned to him confused.  Kai looked at me with eyes full of pity.  He took a deep breath and continued, "Surely you know it by now?  I'm not Baekhyun."

"I'm not in love with Baekhyun.  I'm in love with you."

Kai took my hand and pursed his lips. "You're not.  You left when we are about to... consummate? Yeah, you left when we were about to consummate our relationship. You left because of him.  At some you had to realize I wasn't him.  You spend all of your time with me because you can't spend it with him.  Plus you don't need to worry about me, I'm not in love with you either.  You should just call him."

I looked down, "I've tried. He changed his number right after graduation." I bit my lip.  The sting of his abandonment was still there.  "Who am I supposed to lean on now?"

"I can still be a friend.  I just think that we should stop making out and stuff." Kai tried to end it lightheartedly.

I could feel tears b, "Would it make me a terrible person to cry about the guy I think I'm in love with to the guy that just broke up with me?"

Kai brought my head to his chest as I began crying.  He gently rubbed circles on my back as I just got lost in missing Baekhyun.  "No.  That's what friends are for."

 

Kai had somehow gone from being my boyfriend to my new best friend.  It felt right, more so than when we were dating.  We roomed together in college and had been living together since we entered to work world.

I still texted Baekhyun's old number.  I typed: I miss you. Almost immediately after I pressed send, I felt the buzz of an incoming message.

Error! Message could not send. The client that you are trying to reach has canceled their subscription.

I sighed.  Everytime I felt the urge to talk to Baekhyun I would just send him a message.  It was easier than keeping it on the inside.  It was like I was telling him either way, even though it wasn't getting to him. 

I was spread out across the couch, watching but not watching whatever was on.  This was my kind of relaxation.  I heard the door to the apartment open as the scuffle of paws and feet.  I was soon greeted by Lady, Kai's dog.  She reached to my face.  After she left her wet kiss on my cheek, she hopped up onto the couch and settled herself right between my legs.  Her head resting on my knee, as if she too was going to watch whatever was on.

Kai appeared with a bottle of water and sat down on a chair.  Something was different about his face. It was more than the fact that cold air had just been biting him, causing his cheeks to become rosy.

"What's up?" I asked, as one of my hands wandered down to Lady's head.

"Do you believe in love at first sight?" Kai looked directly at me.  He was perched on the edge of his seat.

"I fell in love with you at first sight.  I mean it didn't really work out, but I guess yes I do.  Why do you ask, Mr. Kim Jongin?"

"I saw an angel."

I squinted at him.  "Did you ask the angel out?"

Kai took a breath as made face.  He struggled to get out the words, opting for a high pitched "um".  He finally found the words that he wanted to say, "Not quite.  Uh, um, er, Lady may or may not have tried to, um...."

I glanced at Lady, "Lady did what Kai?"

"She..." He continued to struggle, the look on his face was priceless.  There was definitely some embarrassment creeping in. "Lady, she, um, tried to mate... with his leg." Kai ended his explanation with a small cough.

"Lady molested him?" I had to keep myself from laughing.

"Do. Not. Laugh. Park Chanyeol." Kai pointed at me.

I coughed down the giggles bubbling in my chest.  "Do you think this 'angel' is ever going to talk to you again?"

"I know I'll see him again."

"What guarantees you that?"

"He just moved into the building apparently.  He was in the lobby when I came back with Lady and... well, I did manage to apologize.  Only after staring at him like an idiot for a minute."  Kai put his face in his hands.  Lady was normally very well behaved, lady-like if you will.  She was past her years of trying to... you know... with her toys and had never once tried to get it on with our legs.

"Maybe she saw you struggling.  What did this angel look like?"

Kai sank back into the chair with a dreamy look on his face.  "He has short black hair, it makes his skin look really pale but in a good way.  He's got these beautiful wide eyes that I just know he's full of innocence.  His lips are so full and they kind of look like a heart... I wonder what it'd be like when he smiles." Kai smiled to himself.

"Does he have a name or a unit number?" I prompted.  Kai's face immediately fell.

"I should definitely try to find him; Lady made him spill his coffee."

"Yeah track him down.  Offer to pay for dry cleaning or something." I chuckled to myself.  Life was about to get interesting.  Kai's entire life seemed to be trial and error for figuring out who his soul mate was. Kai was all about true love.

 

I was making hot chocolate when I saw it.  Snow was gently floating down from the sky.  I walked away from the hot chocolate mix and brought myself to the window.  My mind immediately back to my childhood.  Snow days with Baekhyun were the best.  He couldn't aim very well, so I always won the snowball fights.  Our snowmen never turned out quite right and Baekhyun would get frustrated halfway through and quit, opting to make a snow angel instead.  I missed Baekhyun.

I walked back into the kitchen and resumed making the hot chocolate when Kai came back from his walk with Lady.  Lady ran to me and tried to the counter to pick up remnants of the mix.  I swatted her tongue away and Kai appeared in the kitchen with the most confused look on his face.

"You look like you've seen a ghost." I joked as I placed a mug full of cocoa in front of him.

"No, not a ghost."

His demeanor made me laugh, "What on earth did you see that made you lose your soul?"

"I think I saw Baekhyun."

"What?" My mind was racing.  Baekhyun was in the city?  Was he okay?  Did he end up becoming a teacher like he'd always dreamed?  Did he miss me?

"In the elevator." Kai nodded.

I slowly put words together, "Did... he... look okay?"

"He was on his phone."

Baekhyun was in the building.  We were so close.

I was going to find Baekhyun.  Immediately.

It was my turn to tell him how I felt.


 

A/N: ohohohoho. What's going to happen?  I wonder...

comment or something... TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.

there might be another bonus chapter soon.... or perhaps not.