Chapter 2

The Color of Sound

Sunggyu had spent two of his breaks writing his paper assigned earlier that morning, but no matter how much description he squeezed into the damn thing, it just didn't feel complete. He sighed. He had no idea of what else to write about. He saved his five-paged Word document and shut his laptop.

 

He had filled out all the requirements, and even went a page over the minimum, which was incredibly strange for someone as lazy as himself. All of us sudden, it dawned on him. Sunggyu blinked at how easy it was. He needed to write about his own experiences with horoscopes working or not. 

 

The thing was, Sunggyu never had followed his horoscope before. He sighed again; all inspiration had vanished within a second of realization. He looked back to the newspaper. Maybe he could try what it said to do. He checked his wallet; he had enough to take his family to one of those cheap outdoor restaurant.

 

It was decided then, he was going to find out if this fortune telling system was a hoax or not. During his last class of the day, Sunggyu planned out the entire evening, starting with a nice dinner of Tokkpokki and Soon Dubu Jigae to a stroll around the Christmas decorated park near their house.

 

Once class ended, he rushed out of the building, eyes squinting to see bursts of bright green floating around the different friend groups that littered the school grounds. Honestly, Sunggyu didn't even need to use his condition to find his brother. Dongwoo's laugh quickly made it to Sunggyu's ears and he began to walk in that direction.

 

He found Dongwoo talking to a group of boys, which Sunggyu seemed to recognize. They were the friends Dongwoo introduced to him once before. He could only pick out one of them because of his stunningly similar face to his brother. Jonghyun he thinks his name is.

 

"Dongwoo, lets go home." Sunggyu said as he approached speaking distance.

 

Dongwoo nodded and ended the chat with his friends. Sunggyu acknowledged Jonghyun's wave to him and smiled in response. He and Dongwoo walked home in a leisure manner, with Dongwoo talking about how great his lunch tasted.

 

Sunggyu was happy Dongwoo would wait for him to finish school, as he ends half an hour after Dongwoo does. He hadn't even asked, yet every day without fail, Dongwoo would be waiting by the gate for him. It was no wonder he was his favorite brother.

 

They sped up their pace once they got to their front porch, both of them eager to be in the confinements of their home. From outside, they could hear the TV blasting some sort of war movie and chaotic screaming coming from whom they thought would be Sungyeol.

 

They were right. The living room, which was located to the right of the front door, was littered with half eaten potato chip bags and a jumble of bodies. Sungyeol, who was lying down on the couch, screamed every time a gunshot sounded from the TV, which was almost every three seconds.

 

Sunggyu sighed at the pathetic heap of bodies he called brothers. Dongwoo on the other hand, dropped his bag on Sunggyu's foot, dived onto the middle of the couch, effectively knocking the breath out of Sungyeol, and became immersed with the movie almost instantly.

 

Too tired from school to deal with his siblings, Sunggyu walked past them to the kitchen to notify the staff that they would be eating out that evening. Just has he had finished talking to the head chef, he heard his parents come home.

 

"Hey! What's with all this mess?" He heard his mother yell in outrage at the sight of the living room, "Who do you think has to clean this up, huh? Help the maids out, don't give them more work!"

 

"Mom." Sunggyu called when he walked into the room, "I want to treat you to dinner. The kids too."

 

Sunggyu's mom looked surprised. His father agreed immediately, taking any chance he could to not pay for dinner.

 

"Sure honey, but do you have enough money for all eight of us?" His mom asked unsurely. Sunggyu was still in college after all.

 

"Yes I have enough. If I didn't then why would I suggest it?" Sunggyu rolled his eyes.

 

There was still a lot of time before dinner, so he went to his room to finish his other homework.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

Sungjong lead the family into the food tent to one of the tables decorated with red and white cloth. They all agreed to let the youngest order because he could talk to people with ease, not like the others couldn't, but the talkers Sungyeol and Dongwoo were in a deep conversation about over powered Pokémon.

 

The food came relatively fast; first the piping hot family sized soup, then a large bowl of freshly made Tokkpokki. Everyone simultaneously picked up their chopsticks, ready to dig in. Sunggyu watched as the steam of the Dubu Jigae mixed with the colors of his family's voices. It was the small things like this that he treasured most. Although he was a bit sad that only he could see the beautiful arrangment of colors.

 

Snow suddenly started to fall outside the tent. The clear tarp that insulated them made a very good window. With everyone sharing their thoughts about the food at once, it almost looked like Christmas lights. Since Christmas was in a week, Sunggyu was starting to feel the festive mood, taking an extra minute or so to stare at the air only he could see.

 

"Thank you for the meal!" The family chanted. Myungsoo, who was sitting on the right of Sunggyu, gave him a pat on the back. Sunggyu blinked at the younger.

 

"Good luck paying. Hoya ordered another dish when you were zoning out."

 

Sunggyu was baffled. When did Hoya manage to sneak a platter of meat onto the list of things he had to pay for? Now he really didn't want to pay. Mrs. Kim noticed his hesitant expression and offered to pay instead, but Sunggyu denied it, reminding himself that he needed to do what the horoscope said for it to work.

 

The Kim's thanked the owner of the food tent then headed towards the park. Dongwoo and Sungjong ran ahead to look at all the Christmas shops set up throughout the pathway. Mr. Kim trailed behind them slowly, not wanting to be the one supervising them.

 

The park had been coated with a layer of snow. The cobblestone pathway was salted so the snow and ice would melt. Multicolored lights were strung from one light post to the next for as long as the eye could see. Along the turnouts in the path, street venders had set up wooden carts filled with headbands, jewelry, and couple items to attract teenagers out on dates during the winter season.

 

Sunggyu must have taken a wrong turn because when he looked down from the lights, his family was nowhere to be seen. Frantic, he searched the area, turning around 360 ° more than once. He thought back to the horoscope.

 

"Go on a relaxing stroll in a park."

 

This could have been the horoscope working. The passage hadn't said anything about strolling in the park with family and he could have guessed that walking around with his family would be anything but relaxing.

 

He decided that walking around in a less populated area would count as relaxing so he headed farther down the path he took. Letting the cool winter breeze flow through his hair, he stuffed his hands into his pockets and closed his eyes in bliss. The park was silent other than the sound of his feet hitting the cobblestone in slow, steady steps.

 

All of a sudden, Sunggyu found himself on the ground with an aching nose. He opened his eyes and glared at the legs of the attacker. It appeared to be as if the other male he bumped into had been doing the same thing, except of course; he didn't lose his balance and fall like Sunggyu did.

 

"A-are you okay? I'm sorry I wasn't looking where I was going. This was all my fault, I'm sorry." A shaken voice broke the silence. The stranger bent down to lend Sunggyu a hand, which he had no intention of taking, his eyes still burning holes into the man's skinny jeans.

 

Sunggyu stood up by himself with a groan, wiping away the snow off his . Only now had he gotten a look at the stranger's face. 'Worried' was written all over it, and if Sunggyu weren't annoyed right now, he would have almost laughed.

 

"Nah, I'm fine. I wasn't looking where I was going either."

 

Sunggyu watched as worry was replaced with relief. The man smiled, his eyes forming little crescent moons.

 

"I'm glad." The man gave a chuckle, "I didn't expect anyone to be walking in this section of the park." A bright red cloud of smoke escaped his parted mouth.

 

Sunggyu froze in place, his heart pounding in his head. He couldn't avert his gaze from the stranger's rosy lips. He had found him. He had found the person that the horoscope foretold of, the man as bright as the red rising sun.