Chapter 19

The Color of Sound

Sunggyu jumped off the bed, where he had been sitting for the past two hours, and half ran – half limped down the spiral stairs after Woohyun. No one mentioned a party to him at all! After stepping down the last step he gasped, taking in his surroundings.

 

The usual, calming white washed living room was completely filled with festive party decorations and people dressed in extravagant clothes – some who seemed to recognize Sunggyu and some who didn't spare him a glance as he made his way over to the kitchen, where he could hear Dongwoo's laugh.

 

"Ah, there he is." Someone said happily when Sunggyu managed to squeeze into the crowded room. He looked around uncertainly, recognizing the voice.

 

"Grandma!" Sunggyu shouted, shocked. He hadn't seen his grandparents since he was in high school – almost three years ago. "How are you? How is Jeonju?" He asked excitedly. Sunggyu wasn't much of a people person but that just meant he kepy his family and friend extra close.

 

"Oh, I'm well, and Jeonju is still as country as ever." The old woman replied, embracing her oldest grandson in a warm hug. It appeared to be that the rest of the family had already said their greetings and had started to catch up without him.

 

Sunggyu pulled away and looked around for his grandpa nervously. Why was he nervous? Trust me, if you ever met that man, you would be nervous, too. Mrs. Kim seemed to catch onto Sunggyu's wary glances around the room and laughed.

 

"Your grandpa is in the bathroom, but don't worry, he'll be right out any minute." She joked, making Sunggyu shiver in horror. Hoya came jogging into the room – well, as best as he could anyway due to the amount of bodies – and shouted for Sunggyu to run.

 

"He's out! Go!"

 

On instinct, Sunggyu made a bolt to the exit. He really didn't want to deal with his grandpa right now, especially when the Nams were over.

 

"Sunggyu, my boy!" An old and gruff voice called out from behind him. Caught, Sunggyu turned around, sighing. He glanced to his side and almost cried. The Nams were in the room. "Aren't you happy to see me?" Sunggyu's grandpa asked with a chirpy voice.

 

"Uh…" He replied, walking closer to the man. Once he got into arms reach, he was pulled into the biggest bear hug anyone could give. Sunggyu grunted in pain as he felt all of his bones snap. Finally, after what seemed like forever, he was released.

 

"It almost feels like yesterday you were walking around in diapers." His grandpa announced nostalgically, earning giggles from the other family members. Sunggyu sighed again. This was why he didn't want to see his grandpa. He was a major embarrassment. Not only that, he favored Sunggyu the most, meaning that most of the cringe worthy stories would be about him.

 

Peaking out of the corner of his eye, Sunggyu saw Boohyun whispering to Woohyun with a smirk on his lips. That's it. My life is over. He thought as he averted his gaze from the two, smiling cynically to himself.

 

"So, how 'bout we start heading to the lawn? The buffet is over there, yeah?" His grandpa laughed, dragging Sunggyu along with him as he made a beeline to the sliding doors that led to their backyard. The rest of the family followed soon after along with the Nam brothers.

 

"Help me." Sunggyu mouthed back to Woohyun, who, in return, raised an eyebrow. As soon as he felt the cold night air on his skin he knew the actual horror had begun.

 

"Oh, would'ya look at that. A soju fountain." Sunggyu's captor said, delighted. "C'mon boy, drink some with me. You're old enough, right?"

 

Yes, Sunggyu was old enough to drink, but he never once wanted to taste that strong smelling adult drink. Despite his protests against it, he ended up downing a shot, and then another. The taste wasn't the best; in fact, it wasn't good at all, yet something in it made him want to drink more - as much as he'd hate to admit.

 

Woohyun watched from afar as Sunggyu downed another shot, worried. His grandpa had already started to act drunk, walking away with his wife and laughing like a madman, leaving the college student by himself. From what Woohyun counted, Sunggyu had drank at least three more shots than him.

 

"Hey." He finally called out, walking up to the older man who was right about to take his seventh shot. "Cut that out." Woohyun ordered when Sunggyu raised the cup to his lips again with out acknowledging him. Sunggyu jumped in shock when the cup was knocked out of his hand and the contents spilled onto the grass. He looked at the worried man in front of him, confused.

 

"What was that for, Boohyun?"

 

Woohyun took a step back, cringing. Sunggyu's breath reeked of alcohol. He examined the elder. His face was flushed over with a light pink and his eyes couldn't keep focus on Woohyun's face. He must've been really drunk. Woohyun checked the bottle that was in Sunggyu's hand and his eyes widened in surprise. The soju he was drinking was the one Boohyun would offer to only the strongest drinkers he knew at the restaurant. While thinking about his brother, something clicked.

 

"Wait, did you just call me Boohyun?" He asked, staring into the older man's dazed eyes. Sunggyu, in return, shrugged his shoulders and staggered to one side. If it weren't for Woohyun steadying him, Sunggyu wouldn't be standing at that moment.

 

"Boohyun, Woohyun. Woohyun, Boohyun. They sound the same so what does it matter if I call you Woohyun?" Sunggyu slurred.

 

"I am Woohyun."

 

"Whatever. You both have red voices anyway." Sunggyu said, giggling at Woohyun's annoyed expression.

 

"What is up with you and voices? Why is mine red?" Woohyun asked. Maybe he could finally get answers out of the drunken man.

 

"You think I know?" Sunggyu replied; all humor wiped off his face in an instant. "I lived in a peaceful world of white and then all of a sudden Woohy - I mean Boohyun showed up with his red voice and all and made my life complicated." He ranted, stopping to take a swig of soju straight from the bottle.

 

"He's so handsome, you know, Boohyun. And he can cook and he's nice and he's perfect." Woohyun had clenched his fists unconsciously as Sunggyu continued to praise his brother. "But you know what's worse? You showed up with your brighter red voice and screwed me up. I thought I knew what I wanted but then you, with your broken and messed up self, jumped out of nowhere and made me fall for you."

 

Woohyun blinked, registering all of what Sunggyu had said. He could feel his blood rushing up to his cheeks but shook the feeling away.

 

"Sunggyu, you are drunk. You don't mean any of this." He said, more to himself than the other man. The said man shot him a glare so sharp it would've cut Woohyun into pieces.

 

"I do mean it. I mean everything I say. Remember what I said in English back there? I meant that, too." Sunggyu shouted, beyond angry.

 

"Woohyun, Sunggyu! What's wrong?" Dongwoo asked, hurriedly walking up to them.

 

"Nothing. Don't worry." Woohyun reassured the newcomer. He heard Sunggyu scoff next to him.

 

"So my feelings are 'nothing' to you?" He heard him mumble. Woohyun turned to look at Sunggyu but he turned away just in time for him to miss the tears sliding down his cheeks. Suddenly, Sunggyu dashed away, dropping the empty soju bottle onto the ground, his figure disappearing into the massive crowd of guests.

 

Woohyun stood there, dumbfounded. Dongwoo, who was standing next to him, looked up at him with an expression filled with confusion and worry.

 

"What just happened?"

 

"I'm not too sure, myself. I think I just witnessed a drunken confession."

 

~~~~~~~~~~

Wow that escalated quickly. I may rewrite this chapter but for now, here it is. Thanks to everyone who has been with me for this long, as it is nearing 20 chapters. After this fic is done please go check out my new fic, Transparent. :D By the way, do you guys want a sequel?