Chapter 16

The Color of Sound

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have made him run." Woohyun apologized, bowing 45 degrees at Mr. and Mrs. Kim.

 

"Don't worry, son. I'm sure he's fine." Mr. Kim reassured him. Mrs. Kim nodded along, although worry was evident on her face.

 

"Would you mind if I stayed a little longer?" Woohyun asked, kicking at the ground a little. It was rude of him to stay, he knew, but he had something to do before he left.

 

"Of course we don't mind, but whatever for?" Mrs. Kim questioned.

 

"I'd like to apologize to him when he wakes up." The Kim's softened at Woohyun's request. They had heard the ruckus before and demanded Sungjong to explain when he literally ran into Mrs. Kim. To say the least, the couple thought it was cute that Woohyun didn't want anybody to know he was Sunggyu's friend.

 

Woohyun made his way up to Sunggyu's room after his short talk with the Kims. They truly were nice people. As he was going up the stairs, Hoya called from below, gaining his attention.

 

"Hm?" He turned around to look at the younger, yet manlier, man at the bottom of the stairs.

 

"Just a warning, don't mind the questions Sunggyu will ask. He gets disoriented when he's sick." Hoya said, making Woohyun curious as to what types of questions he would hear once the older man wakes up. He nodded and continued up the stairs to the said man's room.

 

The room was dark, as the curtains had been pulled over the windows and the lights were off. Woohyun went over to the chair that was pulled near Sunggyu's bed to take care of him easily. Woohyun felt his heart clench at the sight of the older man lying in bed.

 

Sunggyu was sleeping peacefully, but he was drenched in sweat and had a permanent frown on his face. He was breathing normally, at least. Woohyun grabbed the wet towel that was soaking in a bucket of ice cold water and rung it out. The sleeping man slightly flinched when Woohyun started rubbing the towel around his face, clearing the sweat off. Despite that, Sunggyu hadn't stirred awake.

 

Woohyun glanced at the digital clock on the bedside desk. It read 11 o'clock am. He had been there for a whole hour, but it didn't even seem like fifteen minutes to him. He had to go help out with the store for the lunch rush in an hour so he hoped Sunggyu would wake up soon.

 

He waited another ten minutes, staring at the older man fighting his fever. It was a creepy thing to do, but Woohyun didn't avert his gaze from Sunggyu's face, which was the only thing visible, the rest of his body had been layered with blankets up to his neck. He felt relief wash over him when Sunggyu's eye's slowly started to open.

 

Sunggyu felt like a brick had hit him on the head when he regained consciousness. He slowly opened his eyes, staring up at the white ceiling for a couple of seconds, before his eyes trailed to the figure sitting next to him.

 

"Dongwoo?" He asked. It was too dark for his vision to adjust. The figure, which he had thought was his brother, moved closer and put a hand on his forehead.  

 

"No, it's me." Woohyun said in a calm voice, not at all fazed by Sunggyu calling him Dongwoo. Sunggyu seemed to recognize his voice and took his hand off of his head.

 

"Woohyun?" Sunggyu clarified, slowly turning his body to face him. He knew not to sit up anymore. The younger nodded. "Why are you still here?"

 

"I was waiting until you woke up." Woohyun said, eyes making contact with Sunggyu's. During the time he spent waiting for him to wake up he looked over his whole face more than once until he was content. But, he wanted to see Sunggyu's eyes, to lock gazes, to feel that feeling of his heart skip a beat.

 

"Okay. Are you going to leave now?" Sunggyu asked. It wasn't a sassy question indirectly asking Woohyun to leave, but a question of sincere curiosity. Woohyun smiled, the tone of voice Sunggyu used was that of an innocent child.

 

"No. I wanted to apologize." Woohyun stated. Sunggyu looked at him, confused. "For making your fever worse." He finished. Sunggyu smiled a little, happy that the younger would go out of his way to stay around just to say sorry.

 

"It's okay. I'm getting better any-" Sunggyu's sentence was cut off when a coughing fit boiled up. Woohyun rolled his eyes as the coughing subsided.

 

"Sure you are." He said as Sunggyu gasped for breath. The older man frowned at him and he laughed.

 

"Hey, why is your voice red?"

 

Woohyun stopped laughing. Did he hear the question right? No, Sunggyu definitely asked if his voice was red. That didn't even make sense. A red voice? Sound can't have color. Maybe this was what Hoya was warning about earlier.

 

"What do you mean red? How can a voice be red?" Woohyun asked out loud. Sunggyu let out a sigh.

 

"I don't know. That's why I'm asking. How is your voice red? Mine is white."

 

Woohyun was really getting confused now. He expected questions like 'Have you ever had a girlfriend?' and personal stuff when Hoya told him. He couldn't think of an answer to the elder's question, so he just sat there, hoping for Sunggyu to ask a different question.

 

"Well?" Sunggyu insisted on Woohyun to answer. "Actually, I don't care." He changed his mind moments after, "How can you turn your voice on and off?"

 

"I can't?" Woohyun said, which sounded more like a question than a statement. Sunggyu observed as crimson smoke rolled out of his mouth, billowing as he breathed out.

 

"Liar." Sunggyu huffed. Woohyun frowned, disliking what he was called.

 

"Well then what about you? Why do you ask questions that don't make sense?" He retorted. Woohyun had been sensitive to being called things like that, all thanks to his bullying. His protective persona couldn't help but try to defend himself.

 

Sunggyu was silent for a while. He seemed to be staring at Woohyun's lips again, making the younger question if being rude turned Sunggyu on. After a while, Sunggyu decided to speak up.

 

"Then why was your voice transparent just then? How come sometimes it's red and sometimes there is nothing?" He asked.

 

Woohyun realized Sunggyu was probably seeing something he was not, this color that came out of his mouth when he spoke.

 

It must be from the fever. He's still out of it.

 

"You better not be making out in there because I'm coming in." Myungsoo said from outside Sunggyu's room. He entered shortly after, with a blindfold over his eyes with Sungyeol leading him to the bed. In his hands was hot soup that Mrs. Kim must have prepared.

 

Woohyun got up from his seat to let the blindfolded Myungsoo sit in it. "We weren't doing anything funny, ." Woohyun said as he pulled down the blindfold, which was a tie wrapped around his head.

 

Sunggyu laughed, as best as he could anyway, after seeing the red return to his friend's voice. It made it easy to tell if Woohyun was being serious or not and he liked that.

 

"Here, eat." Sungyeol offered Sunggyu a spoon, helping him into a sitting up position. The sick man thanked his brothers as they exited the room. Woohyun looked around awkwardly, not knowing what to do now that Sunggyu was occupied with eating.

 

"I should go now." He finally said after checking the time again. Sunggyu nodded, seemingly to have forgotten his question earlier. "See you." Woohyun said, exiting out of the room shortly after.

 

On his way down the stairs, he saw Hoya waiting for him at the bottom. As he neared he spoke up.

 

"Did he say anything weird?" Hoya asked. Woohyun nodded.

 

"He kept asking why my voice was red for some reason." Hoya's eyebrows rose.

 

"Red, hmm? Never heard of someone with a red voice." He mumbled. Woohyun stared at him.

 

"You mean you know about this?"

 

"Possibly." Hoya merely shrugged, ushering the confused elder out of the house. "Go, before Boohyun gets worried."

 

And with that, Woohyun was shoved out of a house for the second time that day.

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

Hiiiiii guysssss. Wow it's been long since I last updated. Actually I was rereading my fic from the beginning, and now I'm curious as to why you guys even subscribe to it. I mean, I'm thankful, but the story is so badly written…..Also I was busy playing Assassin's Creed to write again. Sorry to everybody who was waiting~