Chapter 12

The Color of Sound

The evening was awkward, at least for Sunggyu. Woohyun had finished his dinner in peace, probably not even thinking about earlier.

 

Sunggyu mentally covered his face for the thousandth time. His face was still red with embarrassment. In the kitchen he had told Woohyun he was gay, although it wasn't as straight forward and he thought, and then was caught staring at his lips! Oh god, kill him now.

 

"Sunggyu, how is it going out there?" He heard his mother call from the dinning room. He also heard his brother's mocking laughs, as if to say 'Ha! You don't get to sit with Boohyun!' He grumbled under his breath.

 

Woohyun put his chopsticks down and reached for the TV remote. At the same time, Sunggyu got bored of the never-ending commercials playing on the current channel and reached for the remote. Their hands touched, with Woohyun's hand on top of Sunggyu's.

 

They looked at each other, as if daring the other one to take their hand off the remote first. Neither of them did, not wanting the other to feel superior. Sunggyu's heart rate sped up as Woohyun closed their proximity, their faces dangerously close.

 

"Let go."

 

Sunggyu blinked, releasing his grip on the remote in surprise. Woohyun sat back in his seat and flipped through the channels until he found one he liked. Sunggyu was frozen in his outreached position.

 

What, did you think something was going to happen? What were you expecting Nam Woohyun to do? Idiot.

 

His mind scolded him. Woohyun was the kind of guy who tries to intimidate people until he gets what he wants, which was the reason for his action and Sunggyu knew it. He leaned back into a confortable position, pulling a pillow into his lap, heart still racing.

 

The channel Woohyun picked was playing one of those popular live music shows. Currently, there was girl group of four doing a not-so-appropriate dance. Sunggyu was disgusted. How could girls dance like that in public? He was also disgusted at Woohyun for stopping at a channel that had such things playing. He glared over at him.

 

To his surprise, Woohyun wasn't ogling at the girls' curvy bodies like how he thought. Instead he was looking everywhere but the TV, from the table in front of them to the pictures lining the walls. Sunggyu almost thought that he wasn't paying attention and would've moved to get the remote but out of the corner of his eye, he caught movement and looked at it. Woohyun was mouthing along with the lyrics.  

 

Sunggyu looked at him strangely. How did Woohyun know the lyrics to a girl song? No red smoke was escaping his mouth, meaning that he was silently singing.

 

I wonder what his voice sounds like when he sings.

 

Sunggyu thought. Woohyun barely talked as it was – when he did it usually wasn't with emotion. Sunggyu opened his mouth to say something but was cut off with a high-pitched scream. For a second, he thought it was Woohyun, but then his youngest brother Sungjong came running into the room.

 

"How come you didn't tell me Girl's Day was on?!" He yelled before quickly joining in with the dance, body roll and all. Woohyun and Sunggyu watched, quite disturbed, as Sungjong went down and did some floor choreography. When did he have time to learn this stuff?

 

Sungjong never was seen practicing dances. Whenever a new girl group had a comeback he would just stand up from the couch calmly and dance it with sharp movements as if he new it since birth. He would watch the live version once then BOOM! He knew the dance.

 

The song ended and he left quietly, leaving the two older men sitting in silence again. Sunggyu regained composure rather quickly and focused back on the TV, which was now showing a boy group with a dark concept. Woohyun, however, was staring at Sungjong as he sauntered out of the room incredulously. Let's just say that Sunggyu was used to the random performances put on by his youngest brother.

 

"What was that?" Woohyun uttered in shock, his mind still processing the previous event. Sunggyu laughed and playfully hit him on the arm.

 

"Hey, don't go falling for my brother now that you know he's a girl on the inside."

 

"On the outside, too." Woohyun chocked out.

 

Sungjong really did look feminine, almost too feminine for his own good. He was constantly mistaken for a girl, he got confessions from boys way more than you would expect. You couldn't blame them though, Sungjong's voice was high too, so if his appearance fooled you, so would his personality and voice. You could call him one of kind.

 

Sunggyu laughed, he had to agree, although he wasn't too happy with Woohyun staring at his brother strangely. It took Woohyun a couple of seconds to regain composure, as he had just witnessed a boy dance a female dance better than actual girls for the first time.

 

"So, um, where do I put my dishes?" Woohyun asked Sunggyu, picking up his empty plate and piling his rubbish onto it.

 

"Oh, don't worry about it. I'll take it." Sunggyu attempted to take Woohyun's plate out of his hands. Woohyun, however, kept a firm grip on it.

 

"No, I got it. Just tell me where to put it." Even without his persona, Woohyun was still very stubborn, taking matters into his own hands whenever he could. Too bad for him, Sunggyu was also a very stubborn person. It was polite to take your guest's dirty dishes to the sink for them, but it was also polite to take your dishes to the sink instead of letting the hosts do everything for you.

 

They both sighed, realizing that neither would give up. Woohyun started to move towards the kitchen, heading to where he thought the sink would be. Sunggyu groaned. Woohyun was always pissing him off one way or another, even when he was trying to be kind.

 

Instead of just giving up completely, Sunggyu showed Woohyun to the sink to dump his plate. Once Woohyun left the room, he started to wash it with a sponge and dish detergent, one of the only things he knew how to do in a kitchen. The staff tried to usher him out, saying that they would do it, but Sunggyu didn't stop. He preferred to do things by himself, despite the environment he grew up in with servants helping out in every way they could.

 

Woohyun turned around once he made it back to the couch, realizing that he was alone. He felt like he was intruding in the Kim's living space if he wasn't accompanied by one of them so he went back into the dining room where the rest of the family was. Boohyun was happily chatting with Mr. Kim. Woohyun picked up that they were talking about Boohyun's chef skills and rolled his eyes.

 

Sunggyu walked into the dining room a while later. Woohyun was actually glad to see him; Sungyeol had been bothering him with questions too personal for his liking ever since he entered the room.

 

"Thanks for coming, guys. I'm going back up to study." Sunggyu announced. Woohyun's felt his expression drop. He was never going to be saved from Sungyeol and he knew it. Mrs. Kim paused her conversation with Boohyun and looked at Sunggyu's retreating figure.

 

"Kim Sunggyu, we brought these guests over for you. Why don't you show Woohyun around the house instead of studying more?" She suggested, which sounded more like an order. Sunggyu faced them, sighing. He really didn't feel like studying again so part of him was happy he was stopped. The other half felt like he needed every chance he could get to study in order to get a good grade on the finals.  

 

"Yes, mom." He answered. Sunggyu motioned for Woohyun to follow him as he exited the room again. Woohyun slightly bowed to the parents and quickly fell into step with Sunggyu. He was saved. Sungyeol pouted as he watched Woohyun escape.

 

Sunggyu noticed how close Woohyun was walking next to him. His mind went back to all the embarrassing moments they had that evening and his face turned pink. Luckily, Woohyun was too busy with looking around the house to see. After they toured the whole downstairs, Sunggyu decided to show Woohyun his room. He opened his door and walked in, Woohyun following slightly behind, hesitant to go into Sunggyu's personal space.

 

"You can come in, it's fine." Sunggyu reassured him. He stepped in slowly, eyes trailing around the room. It had nice beige wallpaper and white carpet flooring. The room itself was double the size of Woohyun's. Why did they need such big rooms? What did you do other than sleep in them that you needed a room that spacious?

 

Woohyun walked forward blindly, staring at the chandelier hanging in the middle of the room. All of a sudden he hit something, the force of the impact caused him to loose his balance. His first instinct was to hold onto something in order to stop himself from falling. He made a grab for the nearest object, which happened to be the same thing he bumped into.

 

And that something was Sunggyu.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cliffhanger? I think so. I don't know I'm not good with suspense. Yay I updated! The storm is gone and my family is safe and everything is okay! Other than my quarter tests are coming up, one being tomorrow, meaning that I won't be able to update fast like I usually do. Anyways I hope you liked this chapter and comment~