Chapter 6

The Color of Sound

The room was still, all heads looking down at the cooling food, but none thinking about eating it. Dongwoo spoke up first when he noticed Woohyun walk out of the kitchen hesitantly, red staining his eyes.

 

"Hey, Woohyun."

 

The boy stopped in his tracks. He didn't need to look at the group to know that they had 'Pity' all over their faces, it happened every time Boohyun told his story. And he knew what was coming next. They would finish dinner, then walk out of the Nam's lives forever, unable to look at Woohyun as they did.

 

Woohyun held in another wave of tears. How many more people had to leave him? He knew it was because of his exterior aura and attitude, which screamed rude, but was it really necessary for one man to loose his parents, his best friends, and every connection he ever made?

 

Seeing as how Woohyun just stood there, Sunggyu got up, took Woohyun's shaking hand, and sat him down in the empty chair he claimed earlier. Boohyun and Woohyun stared at Sunggyu in awe, and Sunggyu suddenly felt embarrassed for his previous action. But what was he supposed to do? Just let Woohyun stand there for the rest of the evening?

 

The table sat in silence once again, but this time, their thoughts on food. The mood was lightened when Boohyun smiled and started taking food off the serving platters and onto his plate, causing the rest to do the same. Woohyun couldn't believe it, there was laughter, there was acceptance, there was friendship; all things he hadn't witnessed in a while.

 

Sungyeol kept asking about Woohyun's childhood, which Woohyun would brush off, since he still wasn't ready to take down the wall even though he wanted to. Boohyun, on the other hand, kept telling stories of the young, adventurous Woohyun who would always be smiling wherever he went. Woohyun knew he didn't have the power to stop Boohyun so he remained quiet.

 

Sunggyu turned to look at Woohyun's side profile. He hadn't realized until now that Woohyun was undoubtedly handsome. His eyes traced down Woohyun's perfect nose to his plump lips, which were shaped into a slight frown. Since Sunggyu was sitting so close to him, he could smell the light fragrance of vanilla in Woohyun's hair. This surprised Sunggyu, he thought that Woohyun would have a manlier scent. Sunggyu stifled a chuckle, causing Woohyun to lock eyes with him.

 

Sunggyu's eyes widened in shock and he quickly turned back to his food. It wasn't that he was embarrassed that Woohyun saw him staring, but rather, the deep look in his eyes caught him off guard. Under the questioning expression and judging glace, Woohyun's dark brown eyes were filled with a captivating sorrow.

 

Sunggyu didn't dare look up at Woohyun. He didn't know if he was ready to look at those eyes again. Somewhere in him, he felt every single second of Woohyun's pain, as if it had transferred to him through that one glance. Sunggyu felt a nudge, slowly he met those eyes again, but this time, they weren't deep, almost hollow, like Woohyun had a way of blocking his feelings.

 

"What's wrong? Are you just going to sit there and let my brother's food go to waste?" Woohyun remarked, and for a second there, Sunggyu thought he was actually worried.

 

He huffed, shoving a spoonful of food into his mouth. Woohyun gave Sunggyu a weird look then went back to eating. The chicken tasted delicious, but Sunggyu was too annoyed to care. One snarky word from Woohyun made his whole existence boil with anger, even if he knew that it was all a façade.

 

On the other side of the table, Boohyun and Mrs. Kim had been chatting merrily about anything and everything while Mr. Kim paused from eating to join the conversation from time to time. The rest of the Kim brothers were busy stuffing their faces like usual when it came to food.

 

"So Boohyun, what school does Woohyun go to?" Mrs. Kim asked. Sunggyu's ears perked up, as he too was curious, but obviously didn't want to show it.

 

Boohyun smiled but didn't say anything. Instead he gestured to Woohyun's direction, urging Mrs. Kim to ask the said man himself. Looking a bit uncomfortable, but no less curious, she asked again, this time to Woohyun who had his spoon half lifted up to his mouth.

 

"Ace Academy of Seoul." He answered simply, before slurping up whatever he had in his spoon. Sunggyu, with his eyes remaining on his plate, felt his expression deflate. He didn't know why he was hoping Woohyun was in the same college as him, but he couldn't help but feel a tinge of disappointment. Of course Woohyun went to a different college, otherwise he would've been in the same grade as Dongwoo, and Dongwoo knew everyone.

 

Mrs. Kim gasped while Mr. Kim looked intrigued. The siblings stopped eating to focus in on the conversation. Why had their parents responded like that? None of the six brothers had heard of the college before.

 

"My, my." Mrs. Kim started, looking quite impressed, "Aren't you a smart one."

 

Woohyun's wall cracked a bit and Sunggyu swore he saw a light blush cover his face. Sunggyu blinked to make sure, but as soon as it came, it was gone. Woohyun must not be used to compliments, Sunggyu decided.

 

"Why, how smart do you have to be to go to this Ace Academy?" Hoya asked, trying not to show his envy. Hoya was self-proclaimed top of his honors math class. Their high school didn't have ranks like most other schools did, but it was easy to tell that Hoya's grades were the best in the class. He was also pretty well rounded in other core subjects along with sports.

 

Boohyun wasn't the type to brag so he just said, "Pretty smart." before a forced laugh. Next to him, however, Mrs. Kim spouted everything she knew of the Academy.

 

"Not just pretty smart, Hoya, but incredibly smart! If you are super smart in all classes, then Woohyun must be a prodigy! That school is for the best of the best students in South Korea, even the wealthy can't pay their way into the school!" Sunggyu's mom finished, before calmly sipping her glass of water.

 

All eyes were on Woohyun now. Who knew that this broken, unsociable man could be a genius? Sunggyu groaned.

 

Great. Now he's handsome and smart. What next?

 

As if Woohyun had read Sunggyu's mind, he looked at Sunggyu with the most flattered expression his façade allowed him to show. Sunggyu froze, looking around the room to make sure that he didn't say it out loud. No one at the table was looking at him flabbergasted so he guessed that it was just coincidence that Woohyun happened to turn to him at that time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Thanks for dinner!" The Kim's chimed before heading out the door. Sunggyu lagged behind, waiting until his family was in the car before turning around to the Nam brothers.

 

Shyly, Sunggyu held out the dark red wrapped box to Boohyun with one hand and the other holding out a bright blue wrapped box to Woohyun. Boohyun smiled warmly and took the box from Sunggyu's hand, brushing fingers as he did so, making Sunggyu swallow hard.

 

Woohyun's eyes were a little wider than usual, but made no effort to take the box presented in front of him. Getting over the occurrence with Boohyun, Sunggyu focused on Woohyun, who just stared at the box.

 

"Oh come on, Woohyun. Just take it. Will it kill you to be polite for once?" Sunggyu whined, his arm getting tired from holding the semi heavy gift out for so long.

 

Finally, Woohyun took it, but held it away from his body as if it were dangerous. Then, like his brother beside him, slowly opened it to reveal a knit sweater. The design on both of the sweaters was much like the white and black sweater Sunggyu had worn when they met for the first time.

 

Boohyun's was grey and white with a blue star in the middle while Woohyun's was red and dark blue woven into intricate patterns. Both brothers held it up to their body and looked at each other's sweater.

 

"Thank you so much, Sunggyu." Boohyun said, "You didn't have to get us anything, though."

 

"No problem. It's the least I can do since you cooked us some amazing food." Sunggyu said with a smile, though it didn't last long. His smile wavered when Woohyun didn't say anything, or even show emotion. Boohyun noticed his brother's lack of response and frowned.

 

"Don't you have something to say to Sunggyu?" Boohyun hinted. Woohyun looked up and Sunggyu saw those deep eyes once again. He couldn't avert his gaze.

 

"Thanks." Woohyun muttered with a monotone voice. Anyone else would have scoffed at the seemingly half-assed thanks, but Sunggyu saw his true feelings. Woohyun's expression had 'I said thank you now piss off' written all over it but his eyes showed the innocence and thankfulness his soul, his true self, was feeling.

 

"Sunggyu! Hurry up!" Sungyeol called from the car. Sunggyu knew it was time to go, yet every fiber of his being wanted to stare at Woohyun's eyes more. Woohyun disconnected their gaze, instead he looked at the parked black car with Sungyeol's head popping out.

 

"Have a safe trip home." Boohyun waved Sunggyu off. "Oh and Merry Christmas!" He shouted when the car drove off.

 

The car was filled with comments on how nice the evening went and how they should go back again someday. Sungjong had fallen asleep, resting his head on Myungsoo's shoulder. Myungsoo was starting to doze off as well, leaving Hoya, Sungyeol, and Dongwoo to discuss the Nams. Sunggyu looked out of window, watching the passing scenery go by in a blur. He closed his eyes, resting his head on the cold glass.

 

Suddenly something processed in Sunggyu's mind and his head shot up. He had just seen Woohyun's voice for the first time. 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heeeeyyyyy.........I'm updating during school hahaha. Anyways here is part 2 of the dinner. Hope you guys liked it. Honestly, I don't know what I'm going to write for chapter 7. It'll come to me eventually. I think I might be able to update later this week so look forward to that~