Chapter 7

The Color of Sound

It was strange; Sunggyu had not seen Woohyun's voice until the very last word to come out of his mouth. Usually Sunggyu noticed the colored smoke roll out of a person's mouth first, but with Woohyun, it had been the last thing he noticed. He couldn't wrap his head around the strange phenomena.

 

He continued to stare at the darkening sky through the tinted window. By now the car was a peaceful silence, with all his younger brothers either sleeping or on their phones. Sunggyu's parents were having a light discussion on politics, as the next election was coming up.

 

Sunggyu looked down at his hands, now free of their duty to carry the presents he had wrapped earlier that week. After school ended on Wednesday, Sunggyu took the bus to the closest mall to look for something to give the Nam's at the Christmas party. He honestly hadn't thought of what to buy, so he had walked around the mall's two floors for hours before finally settling on buying them sweaters.

 

Sunggyu had found the perfect sweater for Boohyun at first glance. The big star in the middle represented the star signs, which was what horoscopes linked to. He thought it was fitting because without the help of a horoscope, Sunggyu would have never met Boohyun.

 

Woohyun's, on the other hand, was a task to find. Sunggyu had barely talked, or even looked at him for that matter, during their first encounter. Sunggyu had searched through three whole stores to find something that suited Woohyun. Finally, as his eyes scanned another winter wear rack, he found the perfect sweater. It wasn't as flashy as Boohyun's, but it was detailed, with little patterns all over the dark red and blue fabric. He thought Woohyun would like it, since he wasn't a very flashy guy, so to speak.

 

Once Sunggyu got back home, he rummaged through the storage closet, where the Kims threw random things into, and picked out some old rolls of gift-wrapping paper and ribbons. He started to lie out the paper on the ground, putting one box in the middle, but then stopped because he realized that he didn't know how to wrap a present.

 

After a grueling hour of wrapping, Sunggyu finally got both boxes done. He wiped the invisible sweat off his brow and closed his laptop, which he had been looking up multiple tutorials for wrapping presents on. He carried the finished presents to his room, leaving behind the mess of discarded tries on the living room floor.

 

He set the bigger, red present on the bedside drawer and the smaller, blue present on top. Even though he really didn't want to, Sunggyu hustled back to the living room to clean up his mess before the maids had a chance to. His mother had always insisted for them to clean up so the maids had little work to do, even if they had enough money to hire them.

 

Sunggyu's father worked as an assistant manager at a high-class hotel while his mother worked at Top Girl, a well known magazine, as an editor. Their family was leaning more to the wealthy side, but by no means rich, which was why he and his siblings were raised to help out whenever they could.

 

Sunggyu had to quickly busy himself in his homework because the excitement would build up and he would get nervous for no reason if he didn't. Sadly, he didn't have all his classes that day so the homework load was light, enabling him to finish within the hour.

 

He groaned in distaste as he lay back in his chair, stretching his arms high above his head and letting them fall back to his side loosely. His eyes searched his desk to find anything he could occupy himself with. Sunggyu had an idea. He opened his laptop and took out his drawing tablet from one of the desk's drawers.

 

He had to brush off the dust that accumulated on it over the months. Photo manipulation had been one of Sunggyu's hobbies since middle school, basically as soon as he saw his first Retouch the Photo tutorial while mindlessly surfing the Internet.

 

While his outdated Photoshop window loaded, he pulled up one of the search engines located on his laptop's dock. Sunggyu clicked onto Google Images, typed the words that came to his mind first, and looked at each picture that appeared carefully.

 

He surprised himself when the thoughts finally processed in his head. He had searched up 'Red Sun'. Soon he found himself opening new tabs to find other stock pictures he could use to create his masterpiece.

 

After he had mixed all the pictures together, he went onto an online site for editing, which he used often, to add filters to get a more artsy and complete effect. Sunggyu didn't know why he worked so hard on it, but he stayed cooped up in his room until the late hours of the night, until he got hungry and went downstairs for a midnight snack. He must've thought it was the best piece he made yet because the Sunggyu at 3am had printed it out and hung it up on his wall.

 

It was a pretty good picture, he had to admit. It was a landscape of a barren desert with a huge red sun rising in the background. In the foreground, there was a silhouette of a man looking off to the side. Sunggyu had chosen a random model from Google images, yet why did the man look like someone he knew?

 

Before he could contemplate any further on why he had chosen the model, his mind shut off.

 

The rest of the night was a blur to Sunggyu, who was still aimlessly staring out of the car window to the outside world, which had completely darkened by now. He started recognizing the road they were on, thanks to the couple of cafés he would frequent on weekends.

 

Once they reached their home, the eight, who were once groggy and sleep deprived, jolted out of the car. They couldn't retire to bed yet; it was Christmas Eve after all.

 

Hoya, being completely out of character, and the fastest runner, made it to the front door and fumbled around in his pockets to unlock it with his pair of keys. Sungjong caught up and jumped around the porch impatiently.

 

"Hurry up, hurry up! What if Santa already came!?" He whined, shaking Hoya's closest arm, which made him take even longer in opening the door.

 

Finally it unlocked and the six children yes, even Sunggyu— dashed to the eleven foot Christmas tree, gleaming with thousands of lights, which towered over the neatly wrapped presents, some even big enough to reach up to Sungyeol's stomach.

 

A collective "Whoa" echoed throughout the spacious party room, where all the festive decorations were put up. Nothing had been under the tree when they left earlier that evening. The Kims would give their staff the Christmas holidays off to spend with their own families, meaning that nobody was in their house during the time the presents appeared.

 

It was like magic, as Dongwoo always said when he was younger. Whenever one of them asked their parents, they would only shake their heads with a knowing smile, ushering them back to opening the presents.

 

"So… we missed Santa… again." Sungjong sighed, defeated. Myungsoo pat his back in a soothing manner.

 

It had been Sungjong's life long goal to catch the imaginary man in the act, and would stay up watching TV on the couch in the next room over, checking to see if he had arrived yet every so often. Yet year after year, he had failed to do so, always falling asleep a little after 12 o'clock.

 

"Okay boys, time for bed." Mr. Kim announced, as he walked into the room with a steaming mug of green tea. Beat from the excitement of the day, they obediently filed out and up the spiral staircase to their prospective rooms, their energy from earlier had vanished as quick as it appeared.

 

From downstairs in the living room, the two adults shared similar glances.

"Another successful year. I wonder when they will ever catch on." Mrs. Kim chuckled.

 

"Maybe when they are smart enough to attend Ace Academy of Seoul like Woohyun." Mr. Kim joked light-heartedly.

 

The two exchanged hi-fives before relaxing on the couch. Content with the presence of one another, they watched a Christmas movie in each other's embrace.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Bright and early the next morning, Sunggyu raced downstairs, only to find that he was the last one to wake up, like usual, but he didn't mind, as long as his brothers kept their hands off of his presents. He passed by the dining room, ignoring the delightful smell drifting from it, and headed into the party room.

 

Like he had guessed, the floor was a huge mess, with torn wrapping paper and thin layers of protective plastic wrap thrown everywhere. Sunggyu slid on a strip and almost fell, but his determination was strong enough that he regained his balance and continued through the room slowly and carefully, as if he was in enemy territory trying to sneak passed a guard.

 

He dropped to his knees in front of the first present with his name on it. It was medium sized with red and white stripes. There was a decorative bow tied around the box, making it, what his brothers liked to call, Sunggyu-proof.

 

For some unknown reason, Sunggyu had an extremely hard time opening anything tied with a bow or string, making birthday and Christmas presents almost impossible to open without the use of a scissor, which was what he needed most in his current situation.

 

As if Dongwoo had known, he walked over to drop off the scissors into Sunggyu's eager hands. Some may say that a college student shouldn't be as excited as Sunggyu was to open a present, but he begged to differ.

 

What made the whole Christmas experience so fun was the curiosity of what was in the boxes that lined the base of the festive tree. The next best part of Christmas morning was tearing away at the present's wrapping to reveal the hidden treasure inside, which Sunggyu knew from past events, was very time consuming.

 

The words on the box could start to be seen now, after a minute of working off the tape. Sunggyu read aloud the first word he uncovered that was printed on the white cardboard box.

 

"YesStyle…" He read, already guessing what was inside. For some reason, most gifts given to him were either clothes or accessories. It made sense, as he was no longer a child who needed an updated collection of toys every year, but he really did want things other than clothes.

 

Sunggyu took the lid off the box. Inside, folded in half professionally, was a slick black leather jacket. He unfolded it and held it up in the air, letting the light from the windows in front of him shine down onto it. Upon further inspection, the jacket was rather plain, other than the snakeskin texture that coated the whole garment.

 

He shook it a bit to get the folding wrinkles out. As he did so, a small, off-white box fell out. Sunggyu looked around, wondering if that was supposed to happen, before picking it up. Inside it was a false leather wristlet, similar in style to the jacket, except it had rows of studs lining the whole thing.

 

Sunggyu was always into all things punk and rock, so this present fitted his tastes nicely. Although this was his first ever rock outfit, he always daydreamed himself walking the streets of Seoul looking like a badass, with his hair gelled into a messy yet attractive style and thick eyeliner his eyes, giving the effect of a permanent glare.

 

Ah, but the real Sunggyu wouldn't do that, for his self-consciousness would kick in before he stepped out of the house. He wondered how Woohyun could do it, keeping an emotionless face on wherever he went.

 

Sunggyu didn't know how to explain his feelings. The younger man was a lot more handsome than Sunggyu, more intimidating than Sunggyu, a lot smarter than Sunggyu, and most of all, the color of his voice was way more appealing than Sunggyu's. Was he perhaps…envious?

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heeeey. It's midnight on a school night and I'm updating....yaaaaaay....Anyways this might be my last update of the week, I'm not sure. I have two major tests coming up and I need to study. I recomment using a site called Quizlet, just in case any of you readers need to study as well. Um...try not to mind how ugly the picture at the top is? It is supposed to be Sunggyu's artwork. In case you are wondering, I used FireAlpaca to mix all the images together then I went onto a site called Pixlr, which is what Sunggyu uses in the story too. I hope you guys liked this chapter and the Woogyu should start soon. See ya~