Chapter 11

The Color of Sound

A whole month flew by within minutes. Sunggyu had been focusing on studying, as finals week was coming up. During that time, he cut his connection with the outside world entirely, only straying from his room for food.

 

Sunggyu usually slacked off in the midst of studying, but recently he had been diligent - memorizing three lessons of English in an hour. Sometimes in the late hours of the night he would question why he was trying so hard, usually ending up with no solution.

 

Hoya knocked on the door loud enough for Sunggyu to hear over his music. Nell's full album was released last week. Sunggyu promptly downloaded the whole 45 minutes of it as soon as it was available online. Illegal or not, his first priority was to have it. He worked better with music anyway.

 

"Dinner is ready." Hoya stated in a monotone voice as he opened the door, sick of being the one who always has to go fetch his brother. Sunggyu waved a hand in the air without looking back, signaling that he got the message. He heard Hoya huff before walking away.

 

Sunggyu slipped his headphones off and gently placed them on the desk. There were papers and open books scattered all over it, leading him to put the headphones on his math textbook, which took up a third of the entire desk. He stretched, leaning back in his chair until he almost toppled backwards, before walking to the dining room.

 

His legs felt weak from the lack of use, almost tripping on a step as he made his way down the staircase. The house was brightly lit compared to Sunggyu's dark room, making him blink fast a couple of times before his eyes adjusted. He walked passed a couple of maids and into the dining room.

 

"Well look who it is." Mr. Kim smiled when Sunggyu entered the room. Sungyeol looked up and pretended to look confused.

 

"Who is that? He couldn't be my long lost brother could he?" Sungyeol said in a convincing tone, making the whole table laugh. Sunggyu pouted and glanced down at himself. It was true; he didn't look like his usual self.

 

His hair was a mess and he was wearing an oversized grey shirt and baggy pants that covered his feet. He also had his prescription glasses for reading on. Sunggyu thought it was fine since he wasn't planning to go into public anytime soon.

 

"Hey Boohyun, how can you be friends with a hobo like Sunggyu?" Myungsoo asked. Sunggyu's eyes widened as he made eye contact with Boohyun, who was sitting behind Mr. Kim. Boohyun laughed heartily.

 

"I don't know," he checked Sunggyu's appearance up and down, "Maybe if I had known he was a hobo I wouldn't have started a friendship with him." He teased.

 

Sunggyu choked on his spit. He already had too many embarrassing memories and he didn't need another one. He turned and ran out of the room but was stopped by a body heading in the opposite direction. Sunggyu eyes met Woohyun's and he panicked more. He quickly stepped to the side and continued his escape to his room.

 

Woohyun walked into the dining room rubbing his shoulder. "Um…" He started, catching everyone's attention. "Who was that just now?" He asked, pointing behind him. Everyone laughed again, confusing Woohyun even more. He was in the bathroom when Sunggyu came down.

 

"Sunggyu, come down again! Boohyun and Woohyun came to help you relax from studying!" Mrs. Kim called, chuckling.

 

A couple minutes later they heard loud pounding on the stairs soon followed by Sunggyu's reappearance. He was dressed in a white shirt with a frowny face, which was a size larger than he was, and black skinny jeans. His bedhair was smoothed down with his mother's flat iron and combed into place.

 

Sungyeol jumped up from his seat and ran over to Sunggyu with open arms. "Sunggyu! My long lost brother! You've returned!" Sungyeol shouted as he embraced the older man. His acting skills were really something else. Unimpressed, Sunggyu shook him off.

 

"I see you everyday. Just because I don't come out of my room during the day doesn't mean I'm 'long lost'." He grumbled. Sungyeol returned to his seat, high fiving Myungsoo on the way.

 

Sunggyu scanned the table for extra seats but found none. He noticed that Woohyun was standing awkwardly behind Boohyun too. Sungjong realized that Hoya failed to tell Sunggyu the seating arrangements along with the Nam brothers coming over.

 

"You and Woohyun have to sit in the living room. Make your own plate." He told Sunggyu before taking in a spoonful of soup.

 

"Shouldn't the guests eat at a proper table? Make Dongwoo and Hoya eat in the living room." Sunggyu asked, making Hoya and Dongwoo look up. Mrs. Kim clucked her tongue.

 

"Just listen will you? Woohyun said he was okay with it."

 

Sunggyu huffed, showing Woohyun to the kitchen to serve them. Woohyun trailed behind slowly, taking in the huge house. He felt poor compared to the Kims - the kitchen was bigger than his room!

 

"What do you want to drink?" Sunggyu asked, pulling Woohyun back to reality.

 

"Uh…" Woohyun trailed off, not knowing what they had. Sunggyu smiled a little, seeing as how Woohyun was like a lost puppy in his house, definitely a change from his usual self.

 

"We have water, milk, orange juice, strawberry milk, and fizzy lemon water."

 

"Oh, then I'll have milk."

 

Sunggyu nodded. He took out two cups and filled one with regular milk and one with strawberry milk. Woohyun looked at the glass Sunggyu brought to his lips.

 

"You like strawberry milk? Isn't that a girl's drink?" He asked, his persona adding in the last part. Sunggyu put the glass down, slightly offended.

 

"Yes, I do. That means I like two things girls do and I don't care what you think about either of them." He said, pretty loudly. Sunggyu wasn't one to hide that he was gay but he'd rather let friends find out after becoming close. To him, that statement told everything.

 

Woohyun was left in the kitchen, dumbfounded. He picked up that Sunggyu was gay somewhere in the beginning. He just hadn't thought that Sunggyu would admit to it and respond back like that. In truth, Woohyun was gay too, which was one of the reasons of his bullying.

 

He walked out of kitchen with his plate of food slowly. He made his way to the living room and set his plate down next to Sunggyu's. As for Sunggyu, he was hugging a pillow and focused on the TV, ignoring Woohyun.

 

The first layer of Woohyun's wall was practically gone when he noticed that the older man's eyes were glassed over with tears. There was a stinging in Woohyun's heart that told him to apologize. He closed his eyes and shook his head in preparation.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

Woohyun opened his eyes and looked at Sunggyu in surprise. His head was down and his grip on the pillow had tightened. He had beat Woohyun to the apology.

 

"I'm…sorry too." Woohyun said slowly. Sunggyu met his gaze with the same surprise he had seconds ago. "I'm sorry for hurting your feelings just now. I'm sorry for hurting your feelings all those times."

 

Sunggyu softened, realizing that the younger was speaking his true feelings. The red that appeared with every word gradually started to get more vibrant, making Sunggyu blink in confusion.

 

Boohyun and Woohyun's voices were an identical red, but the bright crimson now steadily flowing from the younger's mouth as he let out his feelings told Sunggyu otherwise. He thought he knew all about his condition but apparently not. Well, at least the countless articles on synesthesia he read mentioned that everyone's cases are different.

 

"Sunggyu. Sunggyu?"

 

"Hm?" Sunggyu absentmindedly responded, still staring at the red smoke. Woohyun felt uncomfortable under his intense gaze and shifted in his seat.

 

"Is there something on my mouth?" He asked, self consciously rubbing around his mouth.

 

"Huh? Ah… no, there is nothing." Sunggyu remembered that only he could see the color. During his whole apology, Woohyun thought he was staring at his lips! When would the embarrassment end?

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Yay fluffy-ish chapter~ And what's this? Sunggyu couldn't see the difference in the Nam brother's voices until now? So then what color is Boohyun's voice? I hope you liked this chapter and I hope you comment! I function off of comments to be honest. As for the storm that is going to hit, they predict heavy rain but that's about it. My friend is still staying over so I won't be able to update until late Sunday, if I ever bring myself to write another chapter.