Chapter 13

The Color of Sound

Sunggyu had let out a piercing scream when Woohyun suddenly pulled him down shortly after bumping into him. He shut his eyes tight, bracing for a hard collision with the floor. Luckily, he had fast reflexes, enabling him to stop himself with his hands instead of having a painful impact.

 

He opened his eyes after a moment of silence. His breath hitched in his throat when he saw the position they were in. Woohyun was staring up at him, incredibly flustered. Sunggyu's hands were on either side of Woohyun's head and one of his legs was between Woohyun's. The younger man had his arms lying uselessly above his head.

 

They stayed in that position for a while, staring into each other's eyes. Sunggyu didn't know how long they stayed there, unmoving. His mind went blank at the sight of the handsome man trapped under him. Woohyun's vanilla scent filled his nose; he could almost taste its sweetness.

 

"Sunggyu is everything alright—oh."

 

Both men's heads shot to the newcomer. Hoya stood there awkwardly, judging the two on the ground. Sunggyu's mind was all over the place as he tried to process everything that had happened, his face turned bright red that even reached his ears. More footsteps were heard and a new voice called out.

 

"Hey what's wrong?" Boohyun stopped next to Hoya, "Whoa."

 

Sunggyu heard Woohyun gasp below him as he himself swallowed hard. His stomach did flips once he registered the expression Boohyun had on. Finally, everything seemed to end when Sunggyu's vision blurred and he fainted. Woohyun groaned when the older man's body fell on him with full force.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Sunggyu regained consciousness, although he was too weak to open his eyes, or even adjust the uncomfortable position he was in for that matter. His face felt warm and sticky and he wanted nothing more to take a shower at that moment.

 

"Mom, he's not waking up yet. What if he went into a shock coma?" Someone suddenly said, sounding really close to where Sunggyu was lying.

 

"Shut up Sungyeol, shock comas aren't a thing." Myungsoo answered from farther away.

 

"It is too!" Sungyeol shouted back, getting up and shuffling after Myungsoo.

 

Sunggyu felt movement around him and then a hand press on his forehead, his eyelids fluttered at the cold touch. Soon a wet cloth was replaced with the hand, soothing Sunggyu's burning face.

 

"He's waking up. Everyone be quiet, I think he has a fever." Mrs. Kim whispered.

 

A fever? Sunggyu thought, eyebrows rising a little. How did he catch a fever? All he did was stay home for the past couple of days. He managed to open his eyes a crack, taking in the scene.

 

He was lying down on his bed, which made sense, since he out in his room. There was an extra comforter on him and at least three or four new pillows surrounding his head. Sunggyu looked at his mother, who was staring back at him with a soft smile.

 

"What happened?" His voice came out hoarse and gravely, making his throat tickle enough that he started coughing. After his fit subsided, Mrs. Kim explained how she was dragged into his room to find him unconscious on top of Woohyun. Sunggyu blushed, remembering what had caused him to faint.

 

"Oh god, it's not what it looked like." He said, covering his face with his hands weakly. He heard his mother's tender laughs.

 

"I know, Woohyun told us what happened once we got you off of him."

 

Sunggyu retracted his hands away from his face, instead bundling them under the blankets. He felt a little less embarrassed with the news, although he wouldn't ever be able to look Woohyun in the eye again.

 

"Can you sit up? You've been out since yesterday." Mrs. Kim asked. Sunggyu's eyes widened and he shot up but immediately regretted it when he felt a migraine form.

 

"What do you mean since yesterday?!" He asked as he slowly slid back down into the covers. He looked to his bedside clock, unbelieving. She was right; it was the next day at 10 o'clock in the morning.  

 

"I could have been studying…" Sunggyu trailed off, sighing a little. He still had to go over a few English sentence patterns they had learned a while back. Mrs. Kim shook her head disapprovingly.

 

"You can't study today. Just take today off to rest." Her voice was kind but also stern. Sunggyu huffed but agreed rather quickly when another coughing fit struck up. What kind of parent doesn't want their kid to study for finals anyway?

 

"I'll go make you something to eat." She added as she got up from her kneeling position. Sunggyu nodded and watched her leave the room. He closed his eyes for a while, singing Nell's new song in his head, as he often did when he was bored. A rap on the door caused him to slightly look up, not wanting to worsen his headache.

 

"Can I come in?" Sungjong's light yellow voice called out. Sunggyu raised a hand as a response. Sungjong walked over slowly, eyes trailing over Sunggyu's pale figure. He sighed and swept his older brother's bangs out of his face.

 

"How did you even get sick?" He mused out loud. Sunggyu sighed too. He didn't know either. They stayed in silence as Sungjong changed the wet cloth on Sunggyu's forehead.

 

"It's weird, right? I never get sick." Sunggyu chuckled, as best as he could anyway. It was true; Sunggyu lived through all his middle school years without a single pink eye. Not saying he was the healthiest man alive, but his immune system just had a way of keeping him fever free.

 

Sungjong, labeled as the most caring of the siblings, stayed with Sunggyu as he was fed the porridge his mother made. A few maids came around to collect the empty dishes a while later. Sunggyu was told to sleep but he couldn't, his mind was cluttered and what other time could he sort everything out other than now?

 

"Hey, Sungjong, you know about my condition, yeah?" Sunggyu asked after a while. Sungjong nodded in response, he was busy organizing his older brother's desk.

 

"Have I ever told you what colors I see?"

 

Sungjong stopped what he was doing and walked over to sit on Sunggyu's bed, interested. He thought for a while, tilting his head to one side.

 

"No, I don't think you ever did tell me." Sungjong concluded. "What color is my voice?"

 

"Yellow, almost a creamy pastel yellow. It's different from Jaejoong's and Heechul's yellow, though." Sunggyu said, analyzing the color escaping Sungjong's mouth.

 

"What does it mean? I think you once said you link color with attitude or something." Sungjong asked, trying to see his own voice but failing. Sunggyu shook his head.

 

"Not attitude. Personality, more like. I see yellow if someone is independent and true to themselves." Sunggyu said. Sungjong nodded slowly, liking the meaning behind his voice.

 

"So what about Myungsoo and the others?"

 

Sunggyu coughed a bit before answering. "Myungsoo has light purple, Sungyeol and Dongwoo have green voices, although Dongwoo's is a little bit darker green. Hoya's voice is yellow, almost orange, and Mom and Dad both have sort of pink voices." He finished. All this talking was making his throat sting. Sungjong was quiet, as if trying to register all that information. Sunggyu almost thought he was bored but the glint in the younger's eyes told him otherwise.

 

"Can someone's voice change color?" Sungjong asked, scooting closer. Sunggyu thought for a while. He hadn't exactly seen any bodies voice become a different color. Well, except one.

 

"Not necessarily. Woohyun is the only one who I've seen that can change the color of his voice." Sungjong's eyes widened.

 

"Seriously?! How? To what color?" He demanded, smacking Sunggyu's covered body a couple of times.

 

"Sometimes, well most of the time, his voice is clear." Sunggyu said carefully, rubbing his side from Sungjong's abuse. The said man looked confused so he elaborated. "No color comes out. It must be normal for you but it is really strange for me."

 

Sungjong pouted. How come he couldn't have this super power his brother had? It wasn't fair.

 

"Anyway, I think, when Woohyun really means something with his true feelings, his voice becomes red. Boohyun's voice is also red, but not as red as Woohyun's red." The already confused Sungjong couldn't keep up with all the reds in his brother's statement.

 

"Uh…so you are saying Woohyun's voice is only red when he actually means what he said?" Sungjong asked, trying to clarify what he had managed to get. Sunggyu nodded as a response, his vocal cords were surly damaged by now.  

 

"Sunggyu! Woohyun is here!" Sungyeol called from downstairs. Sunggyu's stomach dropped. He wasn't ready to see Woohyun yet; he had just barely gotten over his earlier embarrassment. He heard someone coming up the staircase and his heart started to beat faster.

 

He watched in panic as Sungjong quickly left the room, leaving him alone. Sunggyu didn't know what else to do but pretend he was sleeping when his door creaked open.

 

~~~~~

 

I'm sorry for not updating as fast as I normally do. Here is the long awaited explanation on voices, although not as deep as I would've liked. And also Sunggyu Sungjong bonding time! Yaay! Ooh what happens next chapter with Woohyun? I don't know either! Hahahaha Thanks for reading and I hope you comment~