Chapter 5

The Color of Sound

And before he knew it, Sunggyu was standing outside Meok & Sam for the second time in his life. Myungsoo stepped in front of Sunggyu's view, leaning in really close to his face. It was a habit of Myungsoo's and Sunggyu knew he didn't mean to be in his personal bubble, but it really needed to stop.

 

"Why are you just standing here? Go inside already." Myungsoo urged, dying on the inside because of the amazing smell that was drifting out of the restaurant's open doors.

 

The Kim's, mostly the six sons, decided to have an early lunch so they could eat a lot when it was time for the party, and man, did they wish Sunggyu would enter the building already.

 

Myungsoo would have barged in without hesitation on any other occasion, but only Sunggyu knew the man who invited them, leaving him unable to do anything but wait patiently to not come off as rude.

 

Sunggyu took a deep breath and headed to the door, his grip on the red and blue boxes tightened as his feet stepped on the tiled flooring of Meok & Sam. He looked around before walking up to the front desk; his family following close behind, taking in the foreign scene.

 

The restaurant was spacious, with crisp white walls and orange tiled flooring. There was a counter on one end of the room, giving the people who sat there a good view of the grill, which was only a few feet away. There were a numerous amount of tables located around the room, the ones in the middle being extra long for party reservations.

 

That was when Sunggyu saw him. Boohyun was working the grill, his back facing them. He was tempted to call out to him, but decided it was best not to because there were a few customers left.

 

Boohyun had texted more information after Sunggyu agreed to go. He had said to come at 7 o'clock, but on demand of Mrs. Kim, they arrived ten minutes early. Boohyun said that he would be closing his store to the public so they could celebrate without other guests to attend to.

 

Woohyun, who had just given a table their bill, noticed the group awkwardly waiting by the door. He rolled his eyes when he followed Sunggyu's stare. Of course, it was his charming older brother he was staring at.

 

"Hey, stop crowding the door." Woohyun said as he walked towards them, effectively pissing Sunggyu off. How could that boy have the audacity to greet them in such a rude way? If Sunggyu were alone, he would have retorted, but since he wasn't, he kept his mouth shut in a frown.

 

"Is this Boohyun? I though Sunggyu said he was incredibly nice." Mr. Kim whispered to Dongwoo, who had been the nearest person to him. Dongwoo nodded, as if agreeing with his father's statement.

 

Woohyun overheard the little exchange and his face slightly fell. Although no one noticed, Woohyun was quick to gain control of his expression, but the feeling of sadness overwhelmed his mind. He knew his first impression came off bad, but he couldn't help it. His attitude was beyond his control anymore.

 

Woohyun cleared his throat. "You're here early. I don't have the table set yet."

 

Sunggyu's frown only deepened. Did Woohyun expect them to wait outside for another ten minutes in the freezing cold?

 

"But," Woohyun added on, noticing the displeasure on their faces, "you can go ahead and get seated. Just try not to get in the way as I'm setting up, okay?"

 

Woohyun internally swore at himself. That last bit sounded more like an order than he meant it to be. He knew he already ticked off Sunggyu, but now he must've dampened the rest of the family's spirits too, seeing as how they lacked any answer even when he showed them to the table.

 

Once Woohyun walked away to announce their arrival to his brother, the whole family started to gossip at the same time. Sungyeol, whose biggest pet peeve being rude people, started rambling on and on about how much he wanted to punch Woohyun. Myungsoo and Hoya nodded, agreeing that they too, wanted to sock Woohyun in the jaw as well.

 

Sunggyu, who was trying to speak over his family, kept repeating that it wasn't Boohyun they met, but his evil little brother. His mother seemed to be the only one who heard and passed it along to her husband, who then too, passed it on. Soon the whole family had heard the message and stopped hating on who they thought was Boohyun.

 

"I still wanna teach him a lesson." Sungyeol piped up, making the table erupt with laughter, the colors of their voices mixing together to make a big bright cloud float above their heads.

 

Sunggyu had briefly glanced up at the cloud - something he was already accustomed to since his family had shared more than enough laughs for him to picture it vividly in his mind at any given time – before focusing his eyes on Boohyun, who was now walking over to them. Their eyes met, and Sunggyu looked away quickly, making Boohyun smile.

 

"Hello everyone." Boohyun greeted politely with a bow. "You must be Sunggyu's family if am I correct." He met eyes with everyone, making sure to remember their faces, a warm smile plastered on his own handsome face.

 

Sunggyu heard Mrs. Kim swoon behind him, but his eyes didn't leave Boohyun. This was the first time Sunggyu had seen him in chef's attire. Boohyun was wearing a white, nicely fit chef's top and wrinkle free long black pants. The shirt had the words Meok & Sam imprinted on it on the right sleeve. He noticed that Woohyun had a similar outfit on. The only thing different was that Woohyun had a plain white V-neck with the logo printed on it along with a black waist apron on.

 

Boohyun introduced himself and then gestured to the man laying down napkins and chopsticks on the table. All heads turned to Woohyun as his name was called. To his brother's dismay, Woohyun didn't show the least bit of attention and kept laying down the utensils like nothing happened, then to disappear around the corner to fetch the jug of water.

 

"I'm so sorry for my brother's actions. He is always like this to people he classifies as strangers. Please bear with him for tonight." Boohyun apologized on behalf of his brother. Mrs. Kim cooed over how mature of a brother he was and ushered him back to work.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

Woohyun closed up the restaurant once all the other customers left, leaving just the Nam brothers and the Kims. Boohyun walked over with a tray full of food and everyone cheered. Woohyun took the free seat next to Sunggyu while Boohyun sat down next to Mrs. Kim, much to her delight.

 

"Thank you for the food. And thank you for having us over." Mr. Kim said to Boohyun, which acted like a cue for the others to all saying their thanks. Boohyun nodded, claiming that it was an honor to spend Christmas Eve with them.

 

They all started to dig into the delicious looking food. Woohyun sat there staring at his empty plate, realizing that no one thanked him, or even acknowledged the fact that he helped put this party together. He suddenly didn't feel like eating anymore.

 

Sunggyu flinched in surprise by the swift movement next to him as Woohyun got up and walked towards the kitchen, murmuring that he had to clean up a few things. Once he was out of sight, Woohyun crumbled to the floor next to the giant refrigerator, silently staring at the ground as a million thoughts exploded in his head like a volcano.

 

On the other side of the room, Boohyun had a worried face on, understanding the reason behind Woohyun's abrupt leave. Sungjong, who had been the quietest throughout the whole time, suddenly asked the question on everybody's mind.

 

"Why do you and Woohyun act so different? You're so kind while he's such a…" Sungjong trailed off, not wanting to say what he was thinking out loud. Boohyun sighed slightly, knowing that he couldn't keep it a secret.

 

"Back in middle school, Woohyun got bullied a lot. I don't mean just verbally, but legitimate assault. He would sometimes come home with a black eye and multiple bruises running down his body. I was, and still am, the only person he can truly trust. Our parents died when I was in highschool, but that's another story." Boohyun paused, letting this information sink in before continuing.

 

"Anyway, in order to make the bullying stop, Woohyun built a wall around himself, protecting him. Basically, that wall is what you saw today. He's in his freshman year at college now, but even though the bullies stopped years ago, he can't take down the wall. Woohyun is a kind man on the inside. Whenever he says or does something rude, he knows it and wants to change, but he can't, which is why he has become such a loner these days." Boohyun finished.

 

The restaurant grew silent as everyone registered what had been said. Seemingly all at once, the opinions they had of Woohyun changed for the better. Boohyun eyed Sunggyu's expression. It was a mix of guilt and pity.

 

Boohyun sighed again. Pity was the one thing he was hoping to avoid. He hated pity. All his parent's coworkers had the same look of pity on their faces at the funeral. He shut his eyes, much like how Woohyun was doing in the other room.

 

"Please." Boohyun started again, gaining everyone's attention again. "Give Woohyun a chance." He practically begged.

 

The table lit up with kind smiles. "Of course we will." Mrs. Kim announced. The room filled with positive comments like "Definitely" and "Sure" immediately after she spoke. Boohyun almost broke out in tears.

 

Woohyun, who had been listening in on the conversation, though, actually broke out in tears. He was tremendously happy that the focus of tonight was on him and not the usual story of Boohyun's life, which was a frequent topic when friends, mostly girls, visited. But most of all, never in his life had he imagined that these wonderful strangers would walk into his life through a misplaced cellphone and support him after a small speech from Boohyun that barely touched into detail. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay Woohyun's backstory is revealed! Uhhhhh......sorry it's really bad. I wrote this at 3am hahaha. Okay I just want to make sure that all of you got that Meok & Sam is Boohyun's restaurant name. Also I hope you guys get that having a white voice means you are a dull, emotionless, untruthfull person and that having a red voice is like, the best voice to have because you are an amazing, trustable, super kind person. I also will continue to include the voice color idea in future chapter, which I've realized that I haven't been using a lot. I have also been informed that ; is called a semicolon. Thank you to that person who told me in the comments. Anyways that is all for this chapter and I'll see you in the next one~ Byeee