Chapter 14

The Color of Sound

Woohyun dug his fingers into the sheets of his bed as he stared blankly at the celling. He had just gotten home from the Kim's house and the first thing he did was escape Boohyun before he could ask any dumb questions.

 

The ride back home was awful, with questions like 'Did he harass you?' and 'Are you okay?' being asked every five seconds. It seemed like no matter how many times Woohyun reassured his brother, he just kept going on and on about safety. Boohyun's top priority was Woohyun's safety, after all.

 

He sighed, his eyes trailing around the room. It wasn't as big or lavish as the Kim's house but it made him feel much more at home. Woohyun closed his eyes, trying to clear his mind. His exhaustion took over him, making his eyelids too heavy to open again, and he fell into a peaceful slumber.

 

Suddenly, when he opened his eyes that were no longer heavy, he was transported back to the Kim's house, more specifically, Sunggyu's room. Woohyun gulped as Sunggyu took his hand and led him further into the empty room. Woohyun looked around the huge space, eyes traveling up to the extravagant chandelier.

 

He bumped into something and lost his balance. Shaken, he grabbed the closest object to him, which happened to be Sunggyu, much to his dismay, and they both toppled to the floor. Woohyun shut his eyes on instinct as the back of his head hit the carpet, his arms flying up from the force of the impact.

 

He opened his eyes slowly as the pain subsided, meeting the older man's gaze above him. Sunggyu's hair fell, slightly brushing Woohyun's forehead. A wave of déjà vu hit him as his mind processed the situation, but was soon washed away when Sunggyu started to lean closer.

 

Their faces were centimeters apart, their eyes never breaking contact. That is, until Sunggyu's eyes moved down to the younger's parted lips. Woohyun bit his lip and turned his head, facing the door, half expecting someone to walk in right at that moment.

 

Nothing happened for a while. It was dead silent and the younger couldn't resist the urge to look anymore. Woohyun turned his head back to face Sunggyu, thinking he had gotten off him. Instead, Sunggyu's face was even closer than before, their noses brushed against each other. Woohyun's breath hitched in his throat uncomfortably. The look in the Sunggyu's eyes was sharp, as if daring Woohyun to move again.

 

Woohyun froze, his mind yelling at him to push the older man off, which could have easily been done, Sunggyu wasn't the strongest person he knew. Despite the ruckus in his head, Woohyun was paralyzed under the man's hard, but endearing gaze. Sunggyu leaned in closer, aligning their lips. It was at that moment when Woohyun gave in, closing his eyes and preparing for the inevitable kiss.

 

Woohyun snapped up in bed, rudely awoken by a metal pan falling on the floor in the kitchen below him. He looked at his surroundings, realizing he was in his room. The clock on the wall showed it was 10 am the next morning. He let out a breath he didn't know he was holding, his heart calming down moments after. It had been a dream.

 

"Sorry for the noise. I thought you were sleeping." Boohyun apologized as Woohyun made his way down the creaky steps to the empty restaurant that was connected to his house. He shook his head, waving away the apology as he entered the room.

 

"Can I…can I talk to you for a sec?" Woohyun asked rather shyly, noticing the other workers present in the kitchen. Boohyun put down the crate of oranges he was carrying and faced his brother, full attention on him.


"Somewhere else?" Woohyun urged, eyeing some of the staff that looked their way.  Boohyun nodded, realizing it was something important and ushered him out of the kitchen and back upstairs to their shared room.

 

"What's the matter?" He asked when he had safely closed the door and sat next to his distraught brother on the bed. Woohyun sighed, his gaze dropping to his hands.

 

"I had a dream about him again." He admitted after a while. Boohyun nodded in understanding, scooting closer to lay a hand on Woohyun's back, rubbing small circles for comfort.

 

"What happened this time? First it was the when he came for Christmas then again when you went shopping together." Boohyun asked quietly. Woohyun thought for a second, looking up from his hands.

 

"It was when he fell on me today." Woohyun confessed before continuing, "He was going to kiss me, like last time." Boohyun nodded along, scanning Woohyun's eyes to see if he was all right.

 

"What did you do?"

 

There was a long pause before Woohyun decided to share his emotions. "I…I didn't do anything. I think I might have wanted it."

 

Boohyun stayed silent, he knew it was the real Woohyun speaking and wanted it to stay that way throughout the whole conversation.

 

"So you wanted him to kiss you this time?" Woohyun slightly nodded, looking down again. It was awkward to speak his true feelings to his straight brother.

 

Woohyun had been getting these vivid dreams of Sunggyu since he started to make an impact on his life. At first, when he had had the dream about Sunggyu coming over for Christmas, Woohyun pushed him away when he got too close. The second time he pushed Sunggyu away was in the dream he had the night after they went shopping together, but less forceful and filled with regret.

 

 He had told Boohyun about them after the second dream, having a real heart to heart discussion for hours. To cheer him up, Boohyun took them to see a tarot card reader just for fun. The psychic had done this flashy show of supposedly looking into the future through the cards before handing Woohyun a single card.

 

"The sun," She said, mysterious voice and all, "The sun has spoken to me, telling me that your future lies with one who shines brighter than the sun."

 

What a corny thing to say. Yet, the brothers took it to heart, Woohyun especially.

 

"Do you think Sunggyu is your sun?" Boohyun asked slowly. Woohyun couldn't think of an answer, leaving them to mull over it for a long time in silence. "You do like him, right?" Boohyun added.

 

Sunggyu had started from a stranger to someone Woohyun couldn't get out of his head in just a few months. He would always look forward to their next meeting. Just thinking about him left butterflies in his stomach. Woohyun didn't know what he was so attracted to in Sunggyu. Could it be his shy smile? His low self esteem? Maybe even small, yet deep eyes?

 

Woohyun shook his head, he didn't know for sure if he liked Sunggyu. It could just be his reaction to having a friend after so long. Yeah, that's probably what it was.

 

"I'm not sure." He said after a while, meeting Boohyun's eyes. Boohyun softened and patted him on the back.

 

"Then go find out!"

 

And with that, Woohyun was suddenly shoved out of his house and onto the cold streets of Suyu. He blinked and turned around just in time to see Boohyun locking the front door.

 

"Hey you can't do this to me!" Woohyun yelled loud enough for Boohyun to hear through the glass. He saw his brother laugh before waving him off. Realizing there was nothing he could do, he got on a bus and made his way to the Kim's house.

 

~~~~~

 

"Sunggyu! Woohyun is here!" Sungyeol called after taking one glance at the said man once he opened the door. Woohyun slowly walked in. Sungyeol had walked off after pointing up the stairs, indicating that Sunggyu was in his room.

 

He climbed up the spiral staircase, planning on what to say. He met Sungjong half way, nodding at each other as greeting. After passing him, Sungjong smiled secretly.

 

Woohyun stopped outside of Sunggyu's door. He swallowed hard before opening it and walking into the room. It was dark and Sunggyu was nowhere in sight. He was about to turn around and head out until he spotted a large bundle of blankets move slightly.

 

"Sunggyu?" He called out unsurely. No answer. "Sunggyu?" He called again as he walked closer to the bed. The older man let out a fake snore once Woohyun stopped right in front of the bed.

 

"Sunggyu I know you are awake." Woohyun said, putting his hands on his hips.

 

Sunggyu sighed. Caught. He thought before rising into a sitting position.

 

~~~~~~

 

Yay I updated! I wrote this chapter in one sitting hahahaha. The plot thickens?  I think so! Since Halloween is coming up I think this will be my last update of the week. Thanks to everyone who filled out the poll, as it is now closed and I have the results. Hope you liked this chapter and will continue to support this story~