Chapter 18

The Color of Sound

The Kims pulled up at their house after a short drive. Sunggyu had forced himself to forget about the message and instead had been discussing the movie with Dongwoo. Every time he got a glance at his phone, something in him would become excited as he watched the time slowly tick one minute closer to their arranged meeting.

 

Technically, the meeting wasn't agreed on by both parties. Woohyun had said he was free every afternoon, but Sunggyu hadn't thought that he would come over after his first day finals. Maybe since it was an English test today he would be warmed up to teach it, Sunggyu decided. He had no problem with it, either, as he had nothing else to do until the start of the new school year. 

 

They entered the house. Despite they absence of his siblings, the house was bustling with staff. Sunggyu looked around the house, eyes following a couple of maids as they entered and exited the living room in a hurry.

 

"What's all the commotion for?" Sunggyu pondered out loud. Behind him, he heard Dongwoo stifle a laugh and the cluck of his mom's tongue.

 

"Well, that's the last time we celebrate with you." She said, walking in front of him and placing her purse in the hands of a butler. Sunggyu followed her to the kitchen, repeatedly asking what they were celebrating.

 

Mrs. Kim her heels, nearly bumping into her taller son. "What day do you think it is?" She said with a hint of sourness to her voice. Sunggyu blinked as he thought.

 

"Monday?" He answered, earning him a light slap on the shoulder from his mother.

 

"It's February 14! Valentine's day!" She scolded. Sunggyu's eyes widened at the realization. His hands flew up to his head, grabbing hold of his light brown locks.

 

"You and dad's anniversary!" He shouted, gaining the attention of a few kitchen staff in the room who were busy preparing platers of food. Dongwoo walked up behind them, laughing at his brother's ridiculous expression of shock and worry.

 

"Did you really lose track of time again?" He said as he patted his older brother's back. "Don't worry, I got you covered this year." He giggled as he saw Sunggyu's facial expression relax.

 

"I, uh…Sorry, I must've got so caught up in studying that I forgot." Sunggyu apologized to his mom, who was now seated at the dining table with her laptop. She glanced up at him with one eyebrow raised.

 

"Dongwoo had finals, too, yet he still remembered."

 

Sunggyu flinched under her gaze and lowered his head. How could he forget something so important to his family? After a few seconds of shame and embarrassment, he heard a chuckling fit break out. His head snapped up and his eyes fixed on Mrs. Kim's smiling face.

 

"Just playing with you! Don't worry, I don't mind. I'm glad that you try so hard in school." She giggled. Her laugh was very airy and wasn't the most lady like sound, yet it was refreshing and pleasant to listen to. Sunggyu let out a deep breath, placing a hand to his heart.

 

"Now leave me be, I have a lot of work to finish up before tonight." She waved him out of the room. Dongwoo had the TV to a sit com – something Sunggyu wasn't very fond of – and Mr. Kim had disappeared as soon as they entered the house, leaving Sunggyu with no other choice but to wait in his room.

 

He trudged into his room and fell face first onto his bed. He stayed there for a while before rolling over to breathe. He stared up at the ceiling, thinking of things to do to occupy himself until 4. He looked to his bedside clock while sitting up; it read 12:13 pm. Puffing his cheeks out, he decided to make another picture using Photoshop. It was the only thing he could think of to fill up the extra time he had. The tablet was already on the table from three months ago; Sunggyu had been too lazy to put it away.

 

After cracking his knuckles, he immediately got to work.

 

~~~~~~

 

He sat back in his seat, admiring his new piece of artwork. It was made up of silhouettes, all of them a shade of black, indicating night, with a lone white figure in the middle that seemed to capture the essence of solitude. Sunggyu had tried something a little different than his usual style. He had added words, allowing his picture more depth.

 

Sunggyu's eyes traveled up the corner of his desktop, eyes scanning the time. 3:50, it read. Time really flies by when he mixes images. One time, back in high school, Sunggyu had spent a whole eight hours on a single piece. After that, he couldn't stand up straight for a while due to back pains, which happened to be one of the many reasons why he had halted his art career.

 

He stretched in his seat, tilting his head back and forth to get the kinks out. It was nearing 4 pretty fast so Sunggyu took a quick bathroom break and cleared his desk of the tablet, replacing it with his 20-pound English book. Just then, Sunggyu's phone buzzed on his bed, where it fell out of his pocket.

 

Unknown Number: I'm here.

 

As Sunggyu read the short text, Myungsoo yelled, announcing Woohyun's arrival. The younger brothers had returned home about an hour ago, Sunggyu heard their entrance from all the way in his room with headphones on. Not long after Myungsoo's notice, Woohyun knocked on Sunggyu's door briefly before walking in.

 

"Hey." Sunggyu greeted as his friend made a beeline to the free seat by the desk.

 

"We will only talk in English now. No Korean." Woohyun stated with a stern voice. Sunggyu was taken by surprise and fumbled for an answer but was rendered speechless because his mind was still trying to translate the English into Korean.

 

"Wait - hold on." Sunggyu said. "Are we starting the lesson right off the bat?" He asked. Woohyun frowned when Sunggyu hadn't spoken in English.

 

"Yes, we are. Show me how far you got in your textbook." He ordered, red oozing from his parted lips. Sunggyu walked over to the desk and hesitantly flipped through the book until he found the unit he had left off on. He swallowed hard as he did so; Woohyun was staring at him with a sharp gaze, eyes trailing over his features before shifting to the open book.

 

"Here," Sunggyu said, pointing to a certain spot, "I'm having trouble here." Woohyun scanned the page, reading its material in lightning speed before sighing.

 

"Really? You couldn't get this?" He looked up at the older man incredulously. Sunggyu, in return, simply shrugged his shoulders.

 

"Well I'm sorry that I don't go to a high class college like you." He said in a sarcastic tone. Woohyun gave him a pointed look. "Right, speak in English…" Sunggyu corrected himself.

 

~~~~~~

 

A few hours passed. Woohyun had put the textbook away and challenged Sunggyu to have a conversation with him without hesitation in answers.

 

"Do you like autumn?" The younger man asked. It was a yes or no question but he was testing to see if Sunggyu could add on to a one worded answer.

 

"No, I like you."

 

Woohyun looked Sunggyu in the eye, wondering if he heard right. He noticed that the older man gasped, eyes widening in the process.

 

"No, no! I didn't mean that! I don't know the word for summer in English." Sunggyu franticly said in Korean, trying to straighten the misunderstanding out as best as he could.

 

Woohyun let out a breath he was unconsciously holding in, trying to block out the sound of his racing heartbeat in his ears. He tried to think rationally, 'yeoreum', the Korean word for summer, and 'you' did sound similar when spoken fast.

 

"Whatever, let's continue." Woohyun said, waving away the false confession. "What do you have to wear in the winter?" He quizzed. He made sure Sunggyu would have to remember vocabulary they had gone over earlier for his answer. As he expected, the older man's forehead creased as he raked his mind for the words he needed.

 

"Um…you should wear scarf and jacket when going outside during the winter." Sunggyu said slowly, eyes looking up and to the side every once in a while, trying to formulate the sentence structure in his head before saying it, his mind thinking back to that embarrassing moment in between words.

 

"You forgot the 'a' before scarf but it was otherwise correct." Woohyun remarked, making Sunggyu cringe at the mistake he had made countless times during the lesson. "At least your accent faded a bit." Woohyun acknowledged as a way to make the older feel better. Sunggyu opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted when Hoya called up to them from the bottom of the stairs.

 

"Hey, guys! Some of the guests are arriving to the party so come down! Also, Boohyun is here."

 

Sunggyu paused for a second before looking over to his tutor in a confused manner. The said man didn't look fazed at all. In fact, he seemed to know exactly what was going on.

 

"What party?" Sunggyu asked as Woohyun made his way to the door, glad to speak his native language again.

 

"It's your parent's anniversary and Valentine's day, isn't it?" Woohyun said in a sassy tone before fully exiting the room, leaving a dumbfounded Sunggyu to sit in silence.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Yaaay Woogyu~~~ and there will be more in the next chapter, too! Please wait patiently for the next update :D