Chapter 8

The Color of Sound

"Find the one who shines as bright as the red rising sun. With them, life will surprise you with each passing day."

 

Those words stuck with Sunggyu until the dawn of the New Year, constantly nagging at him. It was destiny that he and the Nam brothers met. It was destiny he met Woohyun. Both men had a voice resembling the sun and the more Sunggyu thought about it, the less sure he was that Boohyun was the said man from the horoscope. He had millions of questions he wished he could figure out. But the bigger question hadn't been answered yet, Sunggyu realized, so how was he supposed to have the answer to the smaller questions? 

 

He was at his grandparent's house for a New Years party. The rest of the family was gathered in the dining room, leaving Sunggyu curled up on one of the couches in peace. Had it been the work of the horoscope? He didn't know. No matter how much he tried to suppress those thoughts, they would somehow creep back into his mind at the most random of times, often leaving him frustrated.

 

He sighed angrily and closed his eyes, giving them a rest from blankly staring at the wall straight ahead. Why did he care so much? The horoscope could've been a lie for all he knew, emptily written for the sake of the newspaper. Some part of him wished it wasn't.

 

It was 15 minutes to midnight and he could hear the boys in the other room getting restless. Sungyeol and Myungsoo kept whining about wanting to light the firecracker bomb they made in the hour prior. It was a Chinese dragon firecracker as the base with fountain shooters attached to each end. To top it off, Hoya added the ultimate firecracker known to man, the grenade.

 

Around the 5-minute mark, everyone rushed outside; the adults and Sunggyu exited a little after the rest, letting the kids stand in the front. There were no actual kids at the party, but the way the four high school and one college student acted defiantly resembled children.

 

Sunggyu's mind was still focused on the bigger question, even as the count down started. How had he not seen Woohyun's voice until the end? At first Sunggyu thought that his anger towards the younger blocked out the color. He had done some research and found that it was possible for emotions to block or mess with his condition, but that didn't explain why Woohyun spoke with no cloud leaving his mouth even after Boohyun cleared things up.

 

"Six!" Sungjong yelled, looking up from his watch.  

 

It was a Kim family tradition for the six brothers to yell out the final seconds. Every year it alternated from oldest to youngest and vise versa. This year the youngest went first, letting Sunggyu announce the last second of the passing year.

 

Five and four were yelled at the top of Myungsoo and Sungyeol's lungs.

 

"Three!" Hoya yelled, striking a match and leaning in to the bomb. Dongwoo was supposed to yell 'two' but instead he busted out into a giggling fit, like usual.

 

"One!" Sunggyu smiled, all thoughts disappearing in that instant.

 

Hoya lite the fuse and retreated to the curb of the road, where the rest of the group was standing. Not long after, the first pop filled the air. Then a second pop, and on the third pop, a stream of color shot up from one of the fountain firecrackers, lighting the next one. Soon there were five streams, each of different color, shooting up, sparks being carried off by the wind.

 

The time was coming for the loudest firecracker to go off, which would surely burst everyone's eardrums. Dongwoo gripped onto Hoya's arm in excitement and terror. This was the first time they included it and they didn't know how big it would be.

 

Sunggyu's eyes trained the slowly flaming fuse, inching closer and closer to the grenade. He wasn't one to be scared of things like this. Heck, he wasn't scared of rollercoasters. So why was his insides boiling over with nervousness?

 

I guess that was the excitement of not knowing. You could see the exact tracks the rollercoaster would take, along with the speed and intensity of the ride before, giving you only half the thrill. This new addition to the bomb a warning signal in Sunggyu's head but he didn't care. It was like walking into a dark abyss, not expecting light. In some ways, couldn't this link to love? Walking blindly into it, not expecting something out of it.

 

The fuse vanished into the grenade. Instinctively, Sunggyu covered his ears. He waited for a second, then another. It didn't go off. A dud. Yes, exactly like love, an unrequited love.  Sunggyu's hands uncovered his ears, letting in the groans of disappointment heard from all around.

 

Sungyeol was practically crying, using Myungsoo for support. Myungsoo wanted to laugh, but he himself was sad it didn't explode. What a way to start the New Year, huh.

 

A loud bang echoed, shocking everyone. A rainbow of color rained down from the sky, lingering for a second before vanishing, leaving grey marks in the clear sky. Two more were launched, exploding higher than the first.

 

"Fireworks." Sunggyu breathed, awestruck.

 

More and more started to shoot up, announcing the coming end. Some fireworks had distinct shapes while others rained down like cherry blossom branches. Two specific fireworks caught Sunggyu's eye. They were shot off as one then separated into two. One was a big red ring that faded fast. The second one was a larger white ring. Instead of vanishing as quick as the other had, the white ring sparked again, turning into a much brighter red than the last, lingering in Sunggyu's mind a few minutes after it vanished. Life had a unique way of telling things to Sunggyu, his synesthesia was proof of that.

 

Its cryptic announcement had processed in his mind, leaving Sunggyu frozen in place, the feeling much like when he laid eyes on Boohyun. Even the sudden extremely loud burst of the grenade that made the rest of the family scream in horror didn't affect him. 

 

The smaller ring was Boohyun, already red when Sunggyu met him. The white turned red ring represented Woohyun. Sunggyu had realized that he thought the younger man's voice was white because he hadn't actually seen a color. At least, until Woohyun uttered that small thanks. He swallowed hard.

 

Woohyun was his red rising sun.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Somewhere on the streets of Suyu, Woohyun paused his duty of taking out the trash and looked up at the sky. The firework show had been going on while he was inside the restaurant, leading him to offer to take the trash out just to see the ending.

 

He watched as two circles appeared in the sky, one white and one red. The white one suddenly turned red and vanished, its grey trail streaked in the lit up sky. He blinked.

 

What a strange firework.

 

He thought before throwing the trash bag into a grey bin, putting the recyclables into a different bin.

 

Woohyun was in mid step when an overwhelming feeling rushed over him. He didn't know what it was, but it felt like a huge burden was lifted off his shoulders. Maybe it was the official start of the New Year so his troubles were in the past.

 

He wasn't one to think so profoundly but decided on it because he didn't have any other explanation for that feeling, which had already passed. He looked up once more to witness the finale.

 

He couldn't help the, "Beautiful." that escaped his lips, unknowing of the scarlet red that flowed out smoothly into the fresh air. Woohyun had let down his guard in that moment, accidentally letting his emotions slip out for the first in a long time. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

Please don't hurt me for this lame chapter. At least Woohyun's voice is seen and Sunggyu realized that it wasn't Boohyun? Man it feels rushed to me... My younger sister is practicing a routine for our school's dance team and it was disctracting me for the majority of the chapter. What I'm saying is blame her if you don't like it. Uh...anyways I had one of my big tests today. I think I only got one wrong! :D Hooray for me! So I guess I'll see you guys in the next chapter hmm?