Chapter 1

The Color of Sound

Sunggyu hated a lot of things, and Monday mornings were definitely on that list. It was only the second week of being a junior in college and he was sure he wasn't going to make it until summer. The workload they dropped on him on the first day was already twice the amount he had in high school. He sighed for the first time that day; he knew there would be more where that came from once he arrived at campus.

 

Exhausted from the all-nighters he pulled three days in a row, he dragged himself off the comfy bed with a groan. He heard his personal butler knock on the beige door of his room.

 

"Sir, It is 6 o'clock. Please wake up, breakfast is already served." The butler announced when he opened the door. Upon seeing a half asleep, shirtless Sunggyu standing in the middle of the room, he went into the walk-in closet to the left of the door.

 

"Sir, I do suggest you wear a shirt to bed, as it is December." He said as he picked out a black and white knit sweater to go over Sunggyu's school uniform. Out of instinct, the half-asleep male raised his arms to let his butler drape his uniform onto his fragile torso before he did the same for the snowflake-designed sweater.

 

"I'll be down after I wash up." Sunggyu stated simply before shuffling to the bathroom that was built into his room. His butler exited the room with a bow. Sunggyu looked into the mirror of the bathroom, his eyes focused onto his lips.

 

"My name is Kim Sunggyu." He muttered as he watched what appeared to be white smoke leave his mouth with each word. He sighed, why did he expect today to be different than any other? His voice would remain as white as his sweater no matter what he did. White was the color his mind made out to be a dull, untrustworthy person and he hated it.

 

He decided not to mull over it and go eat breakfast before he had to skip it and rush to school. After washing up and fixing his horrible bed head, he walked out of his room and down the spiral staircase to the dining room.

 

His entrance into the room went unnoticed. With five younger brothers crowding the table and fighting over the food, it was hard to even hear Sunggyu's good morning chanted around the room by the maids and kitchen staff.

 

Since there was obviously no way Sunggyu would get a seat at the table, he made his way to the stainless steel refrigerator located at the other end of the room. He poured his own bowl of cereal and a cup of strawberry milk. Sunggyu disliked his cereal with milk. He never understood why most people enjoyed eating mushy, milk soaked cereal. Just the thought made him contort his face at the regular milk in the fridge.

 

After his quick breakfast, he said goodbye to his brothers, all who paid no attention to him, grabbed his backpack, and left for school. Myungsoo looked up from his food when the sound of the front door closing reached his ears, but was quickly distracted by more important actions when Sungyeol tried to make a grab at his last slice of bread.

 

"Kim Sungyeol don't you dare." Myungsoo growled as he slapped Sungyeol's hand away from his plate. Sungyeol whimpered and soothed his aching hand before sneaking a croissant off of Dongwoo's plate.

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

Sunggyu had just turned the final corner into school when the time on his watch flickered to the blue digital numbers 7:00. He was glad he got to school before classes started at 7:30, but he could have spent more time sleeping. He sighed and closed his eyes, he guessed a little studying wouldn't hurt.

 

Right as Sunggyu open his eyes, hundreds of little puffs of white floated into the air around him. Once he stepped through the gates at the entrance, he got a pretty good look at the sources of the smoke. A sea of heads crowded the area between the gate and the main building where honors math and English classes were held. And that was exactly where Sunggyu needed to go.

 

His first class was honors English 202. Sunggyu wasn't particularly good at speaking the foreign language, but he continued to take the class because wanted to study abroad, mostly to understand the lyrics of a lot of the music he listened to, but he was also curious if people in America shared the same white voice people in Korea did.

 

He knew of very few people on campus with other colored voices. His second oldest brother Dongwoo, who was a freshman in his college, had a bright green voice, which Sunggyu's mind translated as easy going, friendly, and has lots of dreams. This color made Dongwoo quite easy to spot in a big crowd, since his brother was always talking.

 

His best friends Heechul and Jaejoong had yellow voices, which meant strong, independent, and wise. Sunggyu had accidentally walked in on Jaejoong and Heechul having a friendly argument, to which he had mistaken for a real one and intervened. Heechul thought it was the most adorable thing on earth and decided to 'keep' Sunggyu.

 

Sunggyu decided to wait at his desk until his class started. He took out his iPod and switched the device to shuffle, and let the familiar melodies drown out the outside world. He took out a book he borrowed from the library the day earlier and flipped to the page he left off at. The book was in English and by no means interesting to him, but he continued reading in hopes that the main character and her sparkling vampire boyfriend would suddenly show more emotion.

 

So even in books people have white voices.

 

The sound of the bell snapped Sunggyu back into reality. He hadn't noticed the students filing in earlier, and was startled to see all the desks filled with his classmates. He closed his book and put away his iPod just as the teacher walked it.

 

"Listen up, I will be assigning a project today. You will have to read up on horoscopes and then write a paper on the history of this unique way of fortune telling." The teacher stated before projecting the class a few examples and requirements.

 

Luckly, today's class was only a 45-minute lecture. Sunggyu escaped the room as quickly as he could before heading towards the library. His schedule had four classes spaced out over one-hour breaks, so that he finished at 1 o'clock pm. He was good as using his breaks wisely, but his homework load was too much to complete during the day.

 

Sunggyu dropped his stuff off at an empty table and went in search of books on horoscopes. He found two good books and a fairly new newspaper, brought them back to the table, and indulged in them immediately.

 

As he was skimming through the page of horoscopes on the newspaper, a certain list caught his eye. It was the horoscope for Taurus, which was what he was. Thinking that it wouldn't waste his time dramatically, Sunggyu read the horoscope out loud.

 

 "Live life at its full potential. If you are stuck in an infinite loop of repeating days, find the one who shines as bright as the red rising sun. With them, life will surprise you with each passing day. Go out with family and spend a relaxing evening strolling in a park."

 

Sunggyu re-read the second sentence. His eyebrows furrowed as he tried to decipher what it could have meant by "shines as bright as the red rising sun." Was it a code to meet someone at sunset? He had no clue. This brought a bigger question to his mind. How was he supposed to write a paper on something so sophisticated when he couldn't even figure out what his horoscope meant?