chapter 9

Seven Become One

The Beast members glanced at each other. Hyunki had never told them that TOP was his brother. This kid certainly was full of secretes. They wondered what else he was keeping from them. But right now they were just happy to see GD and TOP.

“Your dongsaeng!” said Lee Joon surprised.

“Yes,” said TOP rubbing Hyunki’s head, “and the only brother I’ve got.  He’s got a special place in my heart.”

“Aw” the whole crowd said.

“Yeah what about me!” said Hyunseung half joking.

GD and Top laughed along with the rest of the members. Everyone knew the connection between Big Bang and Hyunseung  and how close they were.

“Of course you do silly,” said TOP sending Hyunseung one his bright smiles, “but Hyunki is just a little more special.”

“We’re here to support all of you and so we have a little piece of advice for all of you.” Said GD, “You’ve all come very far in the last five years. You’ve over come the difficulties of your trainee years, gone solo, performed in musicals and dramas. You’ve made a name for yourselves and BEAST but don’t ever loose that Rookie mindset.  Enjoy the time you have together and never forget the blood, sweet and tears you shed to get to where you are now. You have gone from being called a ‘recycled group’ to a top notch group. We wish you continued success  Never forget where you starting from, Fighting.” Finished GD

As he was finishing the members started wiping away their tears, GD had mentioned so many things they’d gone through and not just in five years. Their trainee years had been long and hard, Hyunseung and Yoseob had even considered not continuing and giving up. Hyunki did everything he could to hold back his own tears but it was hard.

“I’ve got one last, personal message for Hyunki.” Said TOP.

“Oh, alright go ahead,” said Lee Joon

“Hyunki,” said TOP touching his brother’s shoulder and looking him in the eye, “you’ve always been a dongsaeng that I cherish a lot.  I remember the first time you told me you wanted to become a singer. It was a year after I had debut and you told me you wanted to be a rapper like me. In many ways that made me happy. But I was also worried,” TOP paused, wiping away a tear, “because I knew how hard it was. I didn’t want to watch you go through those difficult trainee years. But you did, and as you shifted from one company to the next I realized just how strong you were. No matter how many times you got left out of a group or were forced to leave  you were always optimistic. It’s been a long and hard battle for you physically and emotionally to get where you are now. Put I couldn’t be prouder of you and I can’t wait to see you mature as a rapper and an artist. I love you Hyunki-ah.”

            The tears that Hyunki had been holding in started to flow.  It was rare for his brother to reveal what he was thinking. He knew that when he’d first told TOP that he wanted to be a rapper like him that TOP had tried to discourage him from pursing that career as he didn’t want to see Hyunki get hurt like he had but Hyunki had pushed forward and now he was standing with BEAST.  TOP gave Hyunki a big hug. There were a few more words between BEAST, GD and TOP but Hyunki didn’t hear them he was still processing what TOP had said. A few moments later TOP and GD returned behind the stage and BEAST continued with their showcase. They ended well and on a high note but Hyunki couldn’t get what his brother had said out of his head.  This was going to be a showcase that Hyunki wouldn’t easily forget.

            After the showcase had ended the group showered and hurried onto their next schedule, Guerilla Date. They had a lot of fun during the Guerilla date and it was a chance for the other members to brag and show Hyunki off. They all knew that for Hyunki to gain support they had to support him too.  When they were finished with their schedule their mangers treated them to a nice dinner out before heading to the practice studio for rehearsal.

“So how come you didn’t tell us about your brother?” asked Yoseob sitting down next to Hyunki during their break.

“I didn’t want to be none as TOP’s brother. Ever since he debuted it’s been that way. I want to make a name for myself.” He said taking a sip of water.

“You two seem close though,” said Kikwang

“We are,” said Hyunki, “we have a big but I think that makes us closer.”

“That’s so cool.’ Said Dongwoon.

“Alright come on guys,” said Hyunseung pulling Yoseob back onto his feet, “lets run through it one more time. Then we can go home.”

            They boys all reluctantly got up and Hyunseung started the music once more It was going on four am when the boys stumbled into the dorm and by the time they’d all showered and changed it was close to five. Hyunki was the last person to hit the sack, completely worn out. He only got two hours of sleep when his phone went off waking him up. It was Jungkook texting him asking Hyunki if he wanted to join him and Jimin at the gym. He looked at his clock, it was seven, if he hurried he could go to the gym for forty minutes before coming back. He shot Jungkook a text telling him that he would meet them at the regular gym. He quickly grabbed his gym bag and quietly left the dorm.

“Hey!” said Jungkook giving Hyunki a high five when he walked into the gym.

“You look exhausted, how much sleep did you get?” asked Jimin.

“Two hours,”  said Hyunki fighting back a yawn.

“Oh did you see it’s all over the news about TOP and GD going to your showcase.” Said Jungkook starting on the bench press.

“I’m not surprised, but that’s why I didn’t say he was my hyung when I debuted.” Sighed Hyunki

“How are things between you and Hyunseung, any better?” asked Jimin

Hyunki didn’t say anything and by his silence both Jimin and Jungkook knew that the situation was probably getting worse rather than better. They hadn’t known Hyunki when things had gone south with Hyunseung but during one of those late nights when they’d all been feeling down Hyunki had shared his thoughts with them and they’d learned what had happened between Hyunseung and Hyunki. Both of them had been in the wrong and after years of letting the problem fester things had only gotten worse. They had been worried when Hyunki told them he was debuting with BEAST as they were worried about how the two of them would be able deal with being in the same group and now living together wasn’t working out to well. It was taking it’s toll on Hyunki and they could see that being sleep depraved wasn’t his only problem.

“Have you talked to anyone else about it?” asked Jimin

“You mean like Doojoon or Junhyung?”

“Ya, it might help the situation if at least one member of BEAST knew the whole story.” Said Jungkook.

“Did you guys forget that Junhyung and Doojoon were the ones who voted for me to join BEAST? There is no way I can tell them. I got to go?” he sighed looking at the clock, “If I’m late I’m screwed. See you guys later.”

            Hyunki left the gym feeling more wound up  and anxious than he had felt when he arrived. Usually when he was with Jungkook and Jimin they made him laugh and feel better. Not today though. It had been a little over a month since he had joined BEAST and fighting with Hyunseung almost every day was beginning to take his toll on him. Just as he got back to the dorm he received a text message from Geurim, he should’ve changed his number long ago.

“You were up early,” noted Yoseob as he came out of his room rubbing his hair.

“I met up with a friend.” Said Hyunki, “I’ll be ready in a few minutes.”

“Is it just me or is something bothering Hyunki?” asked Yoseob joining the members in the kitchen.

“He’s probably just tired.” Said Kikwang

“Doojoonie Hyung when do we have a day off?” wined Dongwoon.

“Please we just made a comeback and you’re already asking for time off?” said Hyunseung walking over giving Kikwang a back hug.

“Don’t you miss our fans?” said Yoseob plopping down next to Doojoon and taking a piece of meet from Doojoon’s bowl.

“Ya!” yelled Doojoon

“I’m ready,” said Hyunseung popping back in.

“Okay time to go!” said Junhyung grabbing his bag and leading the other six out of dorm.

            That day the group had Weekly Idol, two commercials to shoot. Doojoon, Dongwoon and Hyunki went on Happy Together while Hyunseung, Junhyung,Yoseob and Kikwang were at Gag Concert.  Doojoon and Dongwoon helped Hyunki a lot while they were on Happy Together. To there surprise Hyunki showed off his dance skills dancing the key parts to all of BEAST’s hits.  Of course now that TOP had made it clear that Hyunki was his dongsaeng and that he fully supported him.  Yoo Jae-Suk asked Hyunki how he felt joining BEAST

“Nervous, it’s a good opportunity and all of the members have been very receptive. I honestly don’t remember much about my debut stage but when I monitor it I can see the mistakes I made. And It makes me disappointed in myself”

“You did a good job,” said Doojoon patting Hyunki on the leg.

            The rest of the filming went very well and Hyunki was able to shine thanks to Doojoon and Dongwoon’s support. Hyunseung, Kikwang, Yoseob, and Junhyung had a good time on Gag Concert. But they weren’t done yet they were going on Tablo’s radio program too. Which was another three hours of work. But Tablo made it fun and exciting so they weren’t tired at all. Finally they were done and headed to CUBE for practice before turning in. Hyunki had ran to the CUBE café to grab some snacks and drinks for everyone when he heard someone call him.

“Oppa!” said a soft sweet voice

He turned around to see Geurim walking towards him.

“What are you doing here?’ Hyunki asked

“Mom wanted me to bring over some sides.” She said holding up the bento,

“Oh,” he said picking up the drinks.

“Hyunki what’s going on, how come you didn’t text me back?” she said rubbing his arm.

“HEY, stay away from my sister.” Snapped Hyunseung walking up and pulling the two of them apart.

“Hyunseungie, you’ve got an audience,” whispered Kikwang in his ear.

“ Oppa,” wined Geurim, “Hyunki didn’t do anything we were just talking”

“Like I’m going to believe that, he hurt you once I’m not going to let it happen again. What you going to deny it?” scoffed Hyunseung looking at Hyunki who had let out a long sigh.

“Deny it,” laughed Hyunki, “I’ve been denying it for six years but not once did you listen to me. You only saw what you wanted to see and you’ve been blind ever since!” he said jabbing his finger at Hyunseung and then walking away.

“Ya! Don’t go waling away from me you self absorbed  crybaby.” Said Hyunseung grabbing Hyunki’s arm and jerking him back.

Hyunki turned around and looked Hyunseung in the eye, “what happened to you Hyunseung? You’re not the same person I knew.” He said a tear rolling down his cheek. 

Aw the mystery is starting to be revealed slowly. What did you all think, did you cry at the end? or when TOP talked about Hyunki? please comment and subscribe