A Good Heart

Another ShinJaeRella Story

“Everyone please settle down now.” Miss Yoon arrived at the classroom. She looks like she’s happy and excited. What could it be?

 

“There’s an upcoming event in our school. It’s the annual dance competition.” I heard murmurs from everyone in the class, particularly the girls, that they are excited. But I’m different, because I don’t dance.

 

“This year, they’ll have it by class. And the homeroom teachers drew lots earlier on which category you’ll be dancing. I picked up the ballroom one.” She showed us the paper. The girls cheered happily. Some of the boys groaned, and others just stayed quiet. For example: Byun Baekhyun. Of course. I think he’s someone who doesn’t dance much.

 

“I haven’t picked up the partnerships yet. So we’ll do it today. You can choose your own partner.” I immediately looked at Chanyeol and he did the same. He gave me a smile. I cheered inside my head grinned.

 

 

My other classmates started to have their own partners, too. A random girl asked Byun Baekhyun, and he just nodded his head, not giving a care about the competition.

 

 

“When I call your name, please say your partner’s name so I can list it down.” She started calling the girls’ name. When it was my turn, I proudly said my partner/bestfriend/crush’s name.

 

“Park Chanyeol is my partner.” A smile flashed through my face. The other girls gave me knowing looks, but I didn’t care. I need to learn to stand up for myself and not let others step on my pride.

 

 

Everything was going smoothly when suddenly, the devil raised his hand.

 

 

“Yes, Mr. Byun?”

 

“I have a complaint.” My classmates looked at him and I did, too. What the hell is his problem?

 

“In ballroom, it takes time to coordinate with your partner, especially when you’ll be dancing for the first time. And I suggest that we do the partnerships by height, because you can’t catch up if there’s a big height difference. Can we do that?” He asked calmly.

 

 

Is it just me or was he talking about Chanyeol and I?

 

 

I looked at him with my eyes looking with disbelief. He glanced at me as well, and he smirked. Oh how I hate this jerk.

 

 

And what I hated the most at that moment was my classmates were all agreeing to him. I glanced at Chanyeol and his expression was blank. I wonder if he got sad as I did.

 

 

“That’s right. Okay, everyone line up according to your height.” We all stood up and l lined up according to my height. My expression became darker as I saw Chanyeol at the back of the line, with me almost at the front. Ugh, I curse myself. Why am I born short?

 

“So whoever is beside you right now is your partner. Sit down now.” I glanced at my side to see who my new partner is.

 

 

And this day couldn’t get any worse.

 

 

I’ll be dancing with Byun Baekhyun for the dance competition.

 

 

**

 

 

“Right foot forward, and 1, 2, 3, sway. Yes, that’s right. You’re doing well.”

 

 

Since my classmates are oh so rich, they probably took ballroom classes as kids. That’s a good thing, since practically they know how to dance ballroom. But the bad thing is, I’m the only one who doesn’t know how.

 

 

And my partner is as irritated as ever.

 

 

“Will you just please pay attention to them? You’re not doing anything right since the start.” He hissed.

 

“Sorry.” It’s not my fault that I did not take dancing classes before, right? Ugh.

 

“Seriously, I see no hope in your skills.” He’s starting it again.

 

“Yeah, whatever.”

 

 

Somehow, we survived the dance practice. I managed to improve, but only slightly.

 

 

“Shin Jae-ya, let’s go eat at the ice cream parlor again.” Chanyeol approached me.

 

“Oka--“

 

“Sorry, but she’ll be practicing the dance with me. No ice cream parlor date for you today.” I looked at Byun Baekhyun with anger in my eyes.

 

“She was about to go with me. Why do you have to interfere?” Chanyeol looked mad. Oh no.

 

“The dance practice is more important because as you can see, she can’t dance properly due to the reason that she doesn’t know how. Since I’m her partner and I’ll have to take that burden as well, I think we should practice more. Don’t you think?” I really want to go with Chanyeol but I have to admit, Byun Baekhyun’s right.

 

“Alright, then. Don’t even try to hurt her or else…” He didn’t finish his sentence and instead looked at me and held my hand.

 

“Take care, okay? See you.” He squeezed my hand lightly and he let go after a few seconds. He waved me goodbye as he smiled and I did, too.

 

 

Baekhyun’s POV

 

“Let’s go now.” I walked first before her. I walked straight without looking back, but somehow she managed to catch up and walked beside me.

 

“Where are we going to practice?” She asked.

 

“Just follow me and keep your mouth shut.” And so she did. Good, an obedient girl.

 

 

We continued walking and I saw her send a text message to someone.

 

 

To: Mom

I’m sorry but I have to go somewhere for school again. I promise to go home early and help with the chores.

 

 

What the hell? Isn’t it normal for us to go home a little late for school stuff? Why is she even sorry?

 

 

She sent it and she hid her phone. As her eyes looked up, she saw a food stand near us and her eyes gleamed in delight.

 

 

“Woah! Ddeokbokki! Wait, I’ll just buy some.” I was about to protest when she practically ran to the food stand. I rolled my eyes in annoyance.

 

“Thank you,” she said to the stall vendor as she got her food. She ran back to me and she handed me one.

 

“Try it.” She smiled as if she was expecting me to comply. But I walked first and left her standing there.

 

 

She caught up with my speed with that food still in her hands. I tried not to look at her to emphasize that I don’t want to eat that dirty food. I grew up eating food from 5-star restaurants and such, and I am so not taking that one from the street food stall.

 

 

“It won’t hurt, you know? Besides, it’s delicious. Just one bite and I know you’ll like it.”

 

“I don’t want that, now keep that away or I’ll throw that to the ground,” I said coldly but she didn’t give up.

 

“I promise to dance better if you take this.” The food’s aroma made its way to my nostrils, and I can’t deny that it smelled delicious. But I didn’t give in and I did not speak for a long time.

 

 

I managed to keep my pride high until my stomach growled in hunger.

 

 

She laughed hysterically it made me want to punch her in embarrassment. Oh God, I didn’t know I was that hungry, either.

 

 

“Come on now. You’re already hungry and this is the only thing we’ve got.” I glanced at the food one more time and I snatched it away from her.

 

“I will only taste this because I’m hungry. Don’t even think about anything else.” I took a bite and my eyes widened. I didn’t know street foods can be this delicious.

 

“See? It tasted nice, right?” She took a bite of her own food as well. We continued walking until we reached our destination without saying a single thing. I wanted more of that, but she’ll probably make fun of me if I ask.

 

“This is a dance studio. We have access here, so we can practice here all night long.” I entered first before her and talk to the staff. She gave me a key and we got a practice room.

 

“Wow.” She looked so amazed. Seriously, haven’t she seen one before?

 

“Stop that, it’s annoying.”

 

“Stop what?”

 

“Stop looking at this room with amazement.”

 

“But I am amazed, what do you want me to do?”

 

“Shut up and practice.”

 

 

We placed our schoolbags at the corner of the room. I got my phone out and played the music. I knew it. She can dance better if she sees herself. I am looking at my reflection as well. We practice for an hour, and I can say that we’ve improved.

 

 

She reached for her bag and she sat down. She drank her bottle of water in one shot. Was she that tired? Well, at least she tried her best. She got something else from inside, and by the smell, I knew what it was.

 

 

“Here.” She handed me another ddeokbokki and I accepted it happily.

 

“For the good job we did today.” She smiled at me before taking a bite. I took a bite as well because that practice got me hungry all over again.

 

“Yeah,” I whispered.

 

 

Shin Jae’s POV

 

“Say, can I ask you something?”

 

“What now?” He looks irritated again. Somehow, I was used to this.

 

“Are you always like that?”

 

“Like what?”

 

“Grumpy, not in the mood, frowning. I haven’t seen you laugh or even crack a smile.”

 

“That doesn’t concern you so stop asking.”

 

“It wouldn’t hurt if you at least share to me, you know. Maybe you’ll get that burden off your chest.” He became stiff. I hope I can get into his good side this time.

 

“I just don’t feel like it. I don’t have a reason to smile anymore.” His frown deepened. Oh no, I shouldn’t have opened that topic up.

 

“Let’s go home now. It’s getting late.”

 

 

We walked outside the studio and thanked the staff. As we were walking home, someone approached us, or rather, him.

 

 

“Baekhyunnie, you’ve grown so much in a span of months.” An old woman talked to him.

 

“Ah, not really, ahjumma. I haven’t seen the kids for a while, too.” I glanced at him and I saw how happy his face is.

 

“Come visit the orphanage if you have time, okay? The kids really missed you.” And just then the old woman noticed me. “Oh, is this your girlfriend? She’s so pretty.” I smiled at her in appreciation. It’s not every day that someone tells you you’re pretty, you know? Not to mention an old woman whom you’ve seen for the first time in your life.

 

“Good evening, ma’am.” I bowed my head in respect.

 

“And a polite one, too.” She smiled sincerely at me. She looked at the person beside me again.

 

“Thank you for everything you’ve done for the orphanage, Baekhyunnie. Hope you can visit us more in the future. Come with her, okay?” She looked at me. I just nodded because I don’t know how to react.

 

“I will. Take care, ahjumma. Tell the kids I’ll bring them toys the next time I visit.”

 

“You, too. Take care on going home, young people.” She waved us goodbye walked on the direction opposite of ours. Byun Baekhyun started walking ahead of me again.

 

“Hey. What was that about?” I asked him.

 

“Shut up.”

 

“Hey, I’m just curious. Nothing will change if you say things like that, you know.”

 

“Ugh. I visit the orphanage that she manages if I have time and do voluntary works and such. I like kids, really.” He smiled sincerely. My eyes widened as I saw his sincere smile for the first time.

 

“I saw that! You smiled!” I pointed at him as I cheered loudly. He tried to hide the smile and looked at me with those irritated pair of eyes.

 

“Why did I even bother telling you? Aish.” He walked first before me. I ran to catch up to him and I smiled happily as I look at him every now and then.

 

“You should smile more. A smile looks good on you,” I said.

 

“Shut up.” I laughed at his remark.

 

 

Jongdae is right. He does have a good heart.

 

 

**

 

 

I updated for the second time today! :) Hope you guys like it. Uhm, I would really appreciate it if you can comment so I know what you think and sometimes it gives me ideas on what to write for the next chapter. And it makes me want to write more. ^^~ Although it's fine with me if you don't, though. I don't want to push you haha. 

 

So how was it? Byun Baekhyun can sometimes have a good heart, too. Omg I'm starting to ship ShinBaek instead of ShinYeol >< Haha. Okay I'll shut up now about that. So, thank you everyone for supporting! And welcome to new subscribers!~^^ Annyeong~ *hugs you all*