The Other Side of Byun Baekhyun

Another ShinJaeRella Story

It’s been a month since school started. I can tell that all is well.

 

 

That is, if my seatmate, Byun Baekhyun, didn’t exist.

 

 

“So to get the square root…”

 

“Yah, hand me your math notebook after this class.”

 

“And why?” I asked, my eyes focused on the lesson.

 

“I don’t have notes; there’ll be a quiz tomorrow. So hand me yours,” he abruptly said and bowed his head down to sleep. I looked at him with disbelief.

 

 

I stepped on his foot hard that caused him to wake up.

 

 

“Yah! Why did you do that?!” He shouted. Our math teacher looked at us with those pair of angry eyes.

 

“Mr. Byun, Ms. Lee, is something wrong with my class?” He asked calmly but I know he is feeling the exact opposite way.

 

“U-Uh…sir--“

 

“What’s wrong with you, old man? Can’t you tell that we don’t want to listen to that stupid lesson?” My eyes went wider than it should be. How dare he say that!

 

“I-I’m sorry sir. We should just listen,” I said before our teacher could throw the chalk to my seatmate. He glared at us one more time and continued.

 

“How can you say that? Are you out of your mind?” I hissed.

 

“In case you didn’t know, my father is one of the top shareholders of this school. This means that our money is practically that old man’s salary every damned month. Now could you please shut up? I’ll sleep. Tell me when it’s over.”

 

 

And just then I knew Satan has seated beside me.

 

 

After school, I went to the library to study for tomorrow’s quiz. I can’t afford to lose my scholarship just because my seatmate is a devil. I went to the corner of the library and found a comfortable couch. I opened my notebook and a borrowed book.

 

 

“Hey.” I looked up to see who it was, and I saw Chanyeol. I immediately smiled.

 

“Hey. You’re here to study, too?” I moved so he can sit.

 

“Yep. Let’s study together, then.”

 

 

My main purpose is to study, but Chanyeol being beside me is a pure distraction. I love how serious his face gets when he tries to solve an equation, and his big smile that slips into his mouth if he knew he got it right.

 

 

“ChanYoda, you’re so smart. You don’t have to study hard anymore.”

 

“Nah. I’m not that smart. I just know how to do it,” he humbly said.

 

 

And boy, I’m falling more and more.

 

 

“I know that the library is a place to study, not a place to flirt and do lovey dovey things, right?” Someone asked. My nostrils flared when Byun Baekhyun showed up.

 

“What are you doing here?” I asked angrily.

 

“I suppose that I told you to give me your notebook after class, right?”

 

“I didn’t agree to that.”

 

“What I said is done. Now, give me that notebook.” He was about to snatch it when Chanyeol slapped his hand away. I was shocked because I totally forgot for a minute that he’s right beside me.

 

“Don’t bully my Shin Jae just like that.” I blushed immediately after his words. My Shin Jae?

 

Baekhyun scoffed. “Playing the prince role, are we? And what am I, the dragon that blows fire into the princess?”

 

“Go away now, Byun Baekhyun. Can’t you see we’re studying?” It took all my courage to say that.

 

“What if I don’t want to?” I was about to fight back when Chanyeol did for me.

 

“Don’t you remember what happened last week? You humiliated her in front of the whole school. Now you’re asking for her help for tomorrow’s quiz. Are you out of your mind or what?”

 

“You stay out of that fight, Park Chanyeol. You don’t know who you’re messing with,” he said through gritted teeth.

 

“I really want to punch you right now, but that would mean that I will be stooping down to your level. And I’m being calm, so I’m asking you to please leave us alone.” My fists clenched as each word slipped out of my mouth.

 

 

But this jerk did otherwise.

 

 

He sat on the other side of the couch and inched closer to us. “Now, teach me. I don’t want to leave because I don’t want to fail tomorrow’s quiz.”

 

“Then you should’ve listened, not slept. Seriously,” I muttered under my breath.

 

“ShinJaeRella, you’ve studied enough. You can head home now. I’ll be the one to teach him,” Chanyeol offered to me with a smile.

 

“Are you sure?” I asked.

 

“I am. It’s getting late now. I texted my driver to send you home. He’s waiting for you on the parking lot,” he said. He packed up my books and notebooks for me and helped me wear it over my small shoulders.

 

“Thank you for today, ChanYoda.” I hugged him and left both of them in the library.

 

 

Chanyeol’s POV

 

 

“Are you guys in a relationship or what?”

 

“You have nothing to do with what we have. Be thankful that I’m kind enough to teach you the lesson you missed.”

 

“Start now. You haven’t taught me anything yet, so I don’t have anything to thank you for.” Seriously, what a spoiled brat.

 

 

I taught him kindly and slowly for him to understand the lesson thoroughly. As we were done, I asked him if he had any questions regarding the lesson.

 

 

“I have a question, but it’s not about the lesson. It’s about you.”

 

“What?”

 

“Do you like that girl?” My eyes went wide. Why is he curious about it, anyway?

 

“She’s not just an ordinary girl. She’s got a name: Lee Shin Jae. Stop referring to her as if she’s an object.”

 

“So you do like her.”

 

“What does have to do with you?” My brows creased.

 

“Nothing. I just want to ask, that’s all. I’ll be asking again: do you like her?” I remained silent for a couple of minutes. I arranged my things in my bag and so did he. I didn’t want to answer that question because he’s the one who asked it. But I did, anyway.

 

“And what if I do?” I saw him become stiff.

 

“Okay then.” He left first before me.

 

 

As I was walking down the stairs, I saw a sea of girls. Don’t tell me they were actually waiting for me?

 

 

“Chanyeol oppa!” They shouted. Right, they were waiting for me.

 

 

I waved my hand and smiled at them. I’m still not used to this kind of attention. What do they like about me anyway?

 

 

As I was walking through, they handed me gifts and other stuff. It’s not that I don’t appreciate them, I’m just not used to receiving some.

 

 

I received a text from my driver that Shin Jae arrived safely. That’s good, then. I thanked him for that and said I’ll just be walking home.

 

 

As I was walking, I tried to explore the city more since I don’t want to go home yet. Even if we are rich, I am still used to commuting from and to places because I want to be somehow independent. And besides, I want to know what kind of things Shin Jae gets to encounter every day.

 

 

Let me tell you something: I grew up without a mother. My father did his best in raising me without any help. I lived a simple life, just like how he wanted it to be. He reminded me not to be boastful about money, and always think that money is not something you can just waste.

 

 

And he raised me well, right?

 

 

I arrived at my favorite coffee shop. I was in line with the counter when my eyes caught a familiar figure.

 

 

I saw Byun Baekhyun and Kim Taeyeon sitting across each other on a table.

 

 

I ordered my coffee and a few finger foods and sat at a table where they can’t see me but it’s just a right amount of distance.

 

 

“Can’t you give me another chance?” Is this jerk so desperate or what?

 

“I’m sorry. I love you, Baekkie, but I’ll just hurt you in the end.” And this , too?

 

“It’s okay. I just want to be with you. I missed you so much after you left Korea two years ago.” So that’s why they broke up.

 

“I missed you, too. But…it just won’t work out. Things won’t go smoothly between us anymore.”

 

“I don’t care. I don’t care…” I can tell he’s crying. “Just please…”

 

“I’ll be leaving again tomorrow. I told you, it won’t work out.” That fast?

 

“I’ll wait for you. No matter how long it will take.”

 

“Are you sure?” She asked.

 

“Of course. I love you so much so I’ll face the consequences.”

 

 

And I decided that I absorbed too much information that day.

 

 

**

 

 

Chanyeol knew something the others didn't know. And how is Baekhyun's quiz going to be if he's sad? But that's his karma for bullying Shin Jae ><

 

 

Thank you for everyone who supported! I decided to write another one as I woke up from my sleep. New subscribers, comments, etc. make me feel happy~ I love you all! *huuugs*