Broke

Another ShinJaeRella Story

The next day was nice. Byun Baekhyun is so quiet. He wasn’t saying a thing, not even sparing a glance at me.

 

 

And I just felt heaven for the first time in forever.

 

 

We had our quiz in Math. I got a good score, I thank my listening skills and Chanyeol’s tutoring for that. At least, my scholarship is still safe.

 

 

I glanced at my seatmate after checking my results and that’s when I knew something was wrong.

 

 

Byun Baekhyun got a low score and failed the quiz.

 

 

After that class, I approached Chanyeol and we talked outside.

 

 

“I thought you helped him yesterday?”

 

“I did. Why?”

 

“He failed.”

 

“He did? But he got my questions right yesterday!” Then he stopped as if a sudden realization hit him.

 

“I-I have to get going now, Shin Jae-ya. Mr. Kang asked for me.” He immediately left.

 

 

Is something wrong with Chanyeol, too?

 

 

**

 

 

The whole day was quiet for me. No bullying, no whispers behind my back, and most of all, no annoying seatmate.

 

 

He didn’t sleep during classes. He was attentive. At least, that’s what it looked like.

 

 

He was just looking at the teacher, but I bet his mind is wandering off somewhere. Somewhere far away from here.

 

 

After class, Ms. Yoon called for him at the faculty. I stared at his back as he left his seat and made his way out.

 

 

“Shin Jae-ya, I heard there’s a new ice cream parlor just near our school. Want to go with me?” He winked. I blushed immediately and smiled.

 

 

But my thoughts were disturbed. I was thinking of Byun Baekhyun. Why is he like that?

 

 

Nevertheless, it’s Park Chanyeol who is asking me out. Why would I say no?

 

 

“Let’s go! I’ll treat you today!” I said excitedly to hide my thoughts about my seatmate.

 

“Wow, my ShinJaeRella’s getting rich!” He teased. I just stuck my tongue out.

 

“What are you waiting for? Come on!”

 

 

**

 

 

We were eating at the ice cream parlor while just being comfortable with each other. Chanyeol always makes me smile whenever I’m sad. He’s funny, he’s kind, and most all, he’s caring.

 

 

He didn’t mind if I was poor and I’m not as rich as him. He didn’t see me as an insect that needs to be squished any moment. He saw me as a person who’s worth something. He befriended me for who I am.

 

 

And I love him just the way he is.

 

 

“Say, Shin Jae. We grew up together and we’ve been together through it all. But my mind is curious about one thing.”

 

“What is it, Chanyeol?”

 

“Do you like someone? Or have you ever liked a boy or something? You haven’t told me a story about your love life even once.” I almost spit my ice cream out when he asked. I controlled myself and started to talk as well.

 

“I…uh…no, I haven’t liked someone yet.” I forced a smile.

 

“Oh. That’s good, then.” He actually looked happy. Why?

 

“How about you?” I asked. I hope he will say something since he hasn’t said anything about his love life either.

 

“Well, there’s this girl I like. I’ve liked her for a while now. That’s all I’m gonna tell you.” He stuck his tongue out. I don’t know why but I’m hurt. I’ve always been on his side and yet, he likes another girl.

 

“Yah! I thought we promised to have no secrets.” I pouted to hide my frown.

 

“There are just some instances that we need to have one.”

 

“But promise me you’ll tell me in the future or I’ll get mad at you.” I held out my pinky finger. We used to do this since we were kids whenever we promise something.

 

He held out his pinky as well. “I promise.” I smiled.

 

“Let’s go home now.”

 

 

**

 

 

“Thank you for today, Shin Jae-ya! I’ll make it up to you next time!” He waved me goodbye.

 

“Thank you, too! Be careful on going home, okay?”

 

“I will!”

 

 

I entered the house and noticed that it was all noisy again. My sisters are whining about something, I guess.

 

 

“But Mom! It’s in three months!”

 

“We need to take time with our dresses!”

 

“We also need to arrange things and bring him a nice birthday gift!”

 

“Enough, girls. I’ll ask my contact tomorrow to start with that, okay? Now go up,” my stepmom motioned my stepsisters.

 

“What took you so long? Do you think you have the right to go out just like that, huh?” She inched closer to me and pinched my left ear, hard. I winced because of the pain, and then she threw me to the floor. I can feel my tears welling up. What did I do so wrong?

 

“How many times do I have to tell you to come home early? You are only allowed if it is necessary! Otherwise, you stay home and do all the work! Do you understand?” She kicked me as she spoke.

 

“I’m sorry. It won’t happen again.” I arranged my clothes and stood up. She pushed my back, in attempt to hurt me again.

 

 

And it did.

 

 

I fell to the floor, knee first. Something scratched my knees and it hurt so badly. I looked and saw a piece of broken glass. Pieces of them scattered on the floor.

 

 

“Oh, and I forgot, a glass broke there because of your sister. Hurry and clean it up. Not a single mess will be seen, understand?” I picked up the broom and dust pan and quickly swept the mess. I almost fell again because of my injured knee, but I didn’t mind. But it stings so much I can’t help it.

 

 

I changed my uniform first. I wore a comfortable hoodie and shorts just an inch above the knee. As much as I wanted to wear track pants instead, I need to wear these because of the wound that is now getting bigger.

 

 

“Mom, I’ll just buy a first aid kit outside.”

 

“Hurry up. After that, you make dinner. Don’t be late again or you’ll be getting more than that,” she spoke as she motioned to my knee. I nodded in reply and went out of the house.

 

 

 

**

 

 

As I was walking down the street, I noticed a familiar figure entering a club. I followed that figure and I was right. Byun Baekhyun went inside the club.

 

 

He gobbled up a lot of drinks, and I can tell that he’s not much of a drinker. It took about only ten minutes for him to get dizzy with all those hard-looking drinks. He went out as he placed two paper bills on the counter.

 

 

And then he saw me.

 

 

“Ohhhh! So you’re here, huh? You stuuuupid girl.” He pointed at me. Even with the smug look on his face, I can tell that something is wrong with him today. I grabbed his wrist as I called a taxi. I paid for the fare as we got out of the car.

 

 

I rang the doorbell and someone who looks like a nanny answered me. “Oh, it’s the young master. Thank you, young girl. I’ll take care of him from here.” I waved her goodbye and I went inside the house.

 

 

I cooked dinner for the three and a little meal for my own. As they finished eating, I started washing the dishes. I treated my wound and placed an amount of bandage over it.

 

 

 It got late. I looked at the time; it was already 10 in the evening. I stayed up this late because I did my homework and my sisters’ as well. They always do this because they’re dumb enough to not know the answers.

 

 

I looked out at my small window and saw that his bedroom’s lights are still on. I saw his nanny taking care of him. I wonder if I can come and help.

 

 

I don’t know what happened. The next thing I knew, I was standing on my feet in front of their house, with a hangover soup I made in my hands. My fingers pressed the doorbell and the same person answered me again.

 

 

“Uh, I’m sorry it’s late at night, but can I come visit Baekhyun? I’m his friend that lives just there,” I pointed at our house.

 

“Okay. You may come in.”

 

 

She led me inside the house. Wow, their house is so big. Maybe it’s twice, or even thrice bigger than ours. She led me to a black door that has the letters ‘BH’ pasted in front.

 

 

“The young master is staring at the wall since earlier. He wasn’t moving, and he doesn’t want to talk to anyone. I hope you’ll be patient with him,” she warned me.

 

“I think I can. He’s a trouble in school, I actually prepared for the trouble he’ll be causing at home.”

 

“You seem to know him very well.” She smiled at me. “I watched the young master grow up. His attitude is like that because he didn’t have parents as he grew up. They were always busy, and he was always alone. I hope you understand.” Those words seem to make me think about him even more. I didn’t know that his life is like that, and yet, I judge him with his attitude.

 

“Thank you for the advice. I’ll come in now.” She grabbed my wrist before I could even pull the doorknob.

 

“What’s your name, dear?” She asked.

 

“Shin Jae. I’m Lee Shin Jae.” She smiled and she let me go. I went inside the room and saw my mortal enemy in his worst state yet.

 

“What are you doing here? Go away.” Looks like he’s back to normal.

 

“I brought you hangover soup.” I showed a bowl in my hands.

 

“Maybe you put poison in it so I could die just then.”

 

“I didn’t. Have a taste. It’ll make you feel better.” I held a spoon and I put it in between his fingers.

 

“I’m eating this just because I’m hungry. Don’t even think that I appreciate this.” I frowned at his remark. I thought he will thank me for it.

 

 

He finished the soup in no time. I handed him a capsule and a glass of water, in case he’ll have headache. He drank it immediately and spoke again.

 

 

“Don’t drink like that again if you’re not much of a drinker. You can get into serious trouble,” I said with worry.

 

“Shut up. I don’t need advice from you. You’re just an ordinary girl that doesn’t understand the life of elite people like me. You don’t have the right to talk to me as if we’re friends.” I can feel my heart sink. Why does he have to remind me that thing every time?

 

“You are not in a good state since this morning. Then I saw you go like that.  I’m just thinking if you have a problem--“

 

“I can go to you? Hah. In your dreams, you poor girl. Why would I even run to you? Do you think we’re that close for me to open up my heart to you? Shut it, because you won’t go anywhere.” My tears are forming. Why does he have to say those things when I’m just concerned about him?

 

 

That’s it. Why did I even come here in the first place? I knew this wasn’t a good idea, and yet I still did it. In the end, I just earned myself another criticism from this jerk.

 

 

“Fine, have it your way.” I stood up and turned my back. I walked my way to the door. But as I was about to go out and leave, I felt a hand pull me back.

 

“Don’t go. Please…” he pleaded as his voice cracked. Is this jerk a bipolar or what? I looked at him and I saw his tears flowing. I immediately softened as I saw how broke he was.

 

 

“Don’t leave me like she did…”

 

 

**

 

BBH is broke now. Shin Jae's heart softened at the sight, but will everything change just as she hoped for? What do you think? ^^ And Chanyeol almost  said it, right? Can I just let this story be a BaekYeol one? Lol just kidding.

 

 

How was it? Okay, I'm really nervous, I don't know why. Hahaha. Feedbacks would be very much appreciated by me! :)

 

 

Hello to all new subscribers. Feel free to express your thoughts! ^^~

 

 

Thank you to springjasmine91 for some advice. Your words are noted! :)

 

 

Thank you to everyone who are supporting! I love you all! You know that, right? Here, have a virtual hug *huuugs* lol <3