Chapter 1

Best Mistake

Taeyeon thought over the choices she had: call her or text her and finally settled for the option of calling. She dialled the number saved as 'Don't Call' but then again, she was never the one who adhered to the things she set for herself. She told herself, "If she doesn't pick it up after three rings, I'm going to hang up and make it look like a miss call."

One... Two... Three.... Taeyeon drew her phone away from her ear but she heard a click that means her call was answered. "Hello?"

"Hey Taeyeon."

She leaned against the sofa and smiled.

The first time Taeyeon saw Jessica was when she was offering a project because she knew Jessica wanted to expand her brand label through a magazine interview. She came across the interview in the magazine as she passed by her employee's desk. He was sitting there, with his work file in front of him, seemingly doing work but there it was, the magazine lying in front of him. She leaned against the desk and stared questioningly at him.

"Is it good?" Taeyeon read the title of the article, "Rising Fashion Label of 2014". 

"Of course it is! Haven't you heard of Jessica wanting to expand her fashion label internationally? Man, I would love to work for her, such a talented and beautiful lady."

"Am I not a talented and beautiful lady?" Taeyeon crossed her arms in front of her chest and raised an eyebrow at the poor man who was still reading the interview.

"Eh?" He turned his head and jerked up, bowing immediately. "Ms Kim, I didn't know you were here!"

"You would like to work for..." Taeyeon glanced over at the pages of the magazine. "Jessica eh?"

"No, no, no, working for you is my privilege too, Ms Kim. You're a very capable leader and of course, more talented than Jessica," he spoke really quickly as he rubbed his hands together feeling embarrassed.

"Give me the magazine." She held out her hand and he quickly placed the magazine on her palm with two hands, bowing at the same time. "Get back to work and give me a report on the recent sales volumes. I want it in two hours."

He gulped and nodded, "Yes, Ms Kim, I'll give it to you in two hours."

Taeyeon took the magazine and strutted towards her office. "Jessica Jung, CEO of the rising fashion label over the past few years." She read the caption. What was so great about her that won her a spot in all the magazines this month? After reading the interview, she got her answer. Jessica started out as a designer for a local fashion label for a year and was then picked out by a famous designer which landed her a spot in an internation fashion label for a year. She was ambitious and started her own fashion label with a minimal amount of resources but after two years, it grew to become a well-known brand locally and the company was into its fourth year. As compared to herself who inherited the company and did not care a brass farthing about fashion, Jessica was far more admirable and respectable. Not only that, she was beautiful.

"Kyu, help me arrange a schedule with Jessica, the CEO of JDOT."

"Right away boss!"

And after the first meeting, Taeyeon concluded that Jessica was a rather cold person. Even though she was friendly towards her, something in her eyes said otherwise. She had a protective wall around her, and a cautious attitude towards her. The reason was not difficult to understand though. Taeyeon had seen how the field of business worked while growing up in such an environment. Her father was backstabbed many times by his partners and fell into multiple pits. If a man with many years of experience in business could fall for it so many times, it would be easier for someone who was still young and fresh in the scene.

Honestly, she was attracted, but not in a romantic way. It was more like an admiration towards her, a new found respect for someone who could be successful against all odds.

Gradually, after a few more meetings and more interactions with her, Taeyeon felt that there was something different everytime she saw her. First, she would unconsciously smile whenever she saw her. Then, her heart rate would start rising a teeny weeny bit, not very significant but not that insignificant either because she realised it. Selfishly, she started asking her if she had time for lunch and surprisingly, Jessica said yes, all the time. That was how they started to hang out.

At first, Jessica was a bit reluctant because she did not know Kim Taeyeon very well. Also, she knew that Taeyeon owned one of the biggest and most well-known fashion label locally as well as internationally. It was puzzling at first. Why would she want to work on a project with her? A project that could at least add another zero into her revenue. As time went by, however, she realised Taeyeon had a really simple character. She did not have the complexity she thought she would have, and was more comfortable with her. Taeyeon was also the same age as her so she did not have much difficulty engaging in a conversation with her.

And on some days when Harvey was not around, working and chatting with Taeyeon took her mind off such matters. At least she did not felt as lonely as before. But of course, Taeyeon did not know she was married, or at least that was what Jessica thought.

"Oh hi, I thought you were asleep or something." Taeyeon tried to sound as casual as possible.

"It's still early. Why did you call?"

"I don't know, I just want to talk to you?" Taeyeon thought, but instead she said, "Right, I want to confirm the time for the meeting tomorrow."

"You could have just texted," Jessica said with a hint of annoyance which felt like a slap to Taeyeon's face.

"Sorry, did I trouble you? I'm rather impatient so..."

"It's okay. I'll see you at twelve for lunch and we can talk about the project."

"Alright. Sorry to trouble you again, good night," Taeyeon hastily ended off the conversation.

"Good night."

Taeyeon waited for her to hang up but Jessica did not. There was a moment of silence between the both of them and Taeyeon hesitated if she should say 'sweet dreams'. They were not that close yet to say it without sounding awkward but she decided to say it anyway, "Sweet dreams."

She was greeted by another moment of silence and she wondered if Jessica was taken aback by her which made her regret a little bit.

"Uh, you too," Jessica finally said, sounding almost like she was questioning her.

Taeyeon quickly hung up the call and threw her phone on the sofa beside her. What was wrong with her? Why did she even think of doing such a thing? She ruffled her hair and got up to head for her room. She felt terrible after the phonecall, something that she did not expect. Jessica sounded really annoyed. Was it because she kept calling her and asking her out for lunch? She cursed herself for crossing the line and now she was certain that things are going to be a bit more awkward for them. And for some reason unknown to her, she could not sleep. The last time this happened to her was during her examinations in college and never had she thought of having the same thing happening to her again because of a woman.