Chapter 13

Best Mistake

Jessica pulled up in front of her parents' apartment. She took a day off at the company because she was not in the right mood to start designing. Not after what happened about 12 hours ago. After they got back to Tiffany and Sooyoung's apartment, her friends decided to keep her company for the night by hugging her sleep. Though she was not alone, a lot still went through her mind. Her head hurt and she did not sleep until five in the morning. She knocked on the door twice and waited for the door to open. Her father should be at work while her mother would definitely be at home. A few seconds later, the door opened to reveal her mother, surprised to see her so early in the morning.

"Honey, why are you here? Why didn't you call?" Her mother pulled her in and closed the door behind her.

Jessica looked at her mother and caught herself crying again. She was so afraid to tell her mother about Harvey's absence back then but she did not know why she decided to come to her mother the first thing after knowing the truth. She hugged her mother and leaned her chin on her mother's left shoulder. Her mother patted her head and softly comforting her. She hated crying because she did not like to feel weak, so she always kept her tears in whenever she was outside but when it came to her mother, she did not bother to put up a facade.

"Let it out, dear, it's okay," her mother comforted.

"I'm sorry, mom, shouldn't have done that. Did I scare you?" Jessica managed a laughter and wiped her tears with the back of her hands. 

"Silly, I'm your mom, I've seen you cry so many times, it doesn't scare me anymore." Her mother touched the back her head and smoothed her hair. "But I've never seen you cry so hard. What happened? You don't usually come to me." 

Looking down at her hands, Jessica slid her ring up and down her finger. She did not realise she was still wearing the ring and as she was looking at it, it suddenly looked tainted. Mrs Jung looked at her daughter playing with her wedding ring and she could guess what was going on in her mind. It was her daughter, of course she knew what was going on in that mind of hers, even if she did not want to say it.

"Is everything alright with Harvey?" She asked. It was not alright, she could see.

"Mom? Should I..." Jessica trailed off and she took out her ring. "Get a divorce?"

Mrs Jung was stunned. Divorce? She sensed something wrong in their relationship but she dismissed it as a lack of communication because of the time spent apart. Just a few weeks ago, they had a dinner together and everything seemed fine, though Harvey looked distracted. Her daughter loved Harvey and it was unlikely for her to have an argument with him, let alone get a divorce. When they said they were getting married and she opposed, Jessica even gave her a cold shoulder. It was Harvey's promise to take care of Jessica well that made her agree. Though he looked like a play boy, he was actually quite a nice gentleman. "Why?"

"He..." Jessica could not say it out. It felt terrible saying it out. "Does not love me anymore."

She understood that immediately. It was a euphemism. "He told you?"

Jessica shook her head. "Tiff and Soo found out. At our apartment."

"At your apartment?" Mrs Jung burst out. "Your apartment? He can't do that! To my daughter? No, he's not going to get away from that! I need to get my chopper."

"Mom." Jessica pulled her mother's hand and patted the back of her hand. "Sooyoung already kicked him."

"Well, I think he deserves another kick."

"Mom, I'm fine, really."

"No, you're not! Look at you! Just a night and you have such deep eyebags."

"Mom, really. I've... I thought about this before."

Mrs Jung sat down and sighed. Her daughter was always like that, even if it was clearly other people's fault, she would not pin the blame on them. "You sure?"

"I've thought about it yesterday, at night, I... I can't accept that- when I'm faithful to him and he... did that to me." Jessica said softly. That pain was unbearable and she did not know how she did it; how she kept her composure and not cry when she was asking him about... them.

Her mother pulled her into a hug. She really wanted to tell her it was alright to cry, it was alright to be weak because even the strongest person would have a fragile side, even the strongest person would fall. It was alright not to be alright. Whatever her daughter's decision may be, she would give her the fullest support. When she wanted to marry Harvey, she agreed eventually because she wanted her daughter to be happy. Now, if she wanted a divorce, she would definitely support her. "Sweetie, whatever your choice, your dad and I will support you. If you need us to teach him a lesson, call us anytime. We'll climb out of bed if we have to."

Jessica broke out into a light laugh. "Thanks mom. Sooyoung and Tiffany learnt well."

She stayed at her parents' until lunch was over and she bid her mother goodbye before heading out. She walked aimlessly on the streets, not knowing where to go. Her apartment was not an option. Sooyoung and Tiffany was not at home, and being alone would just give her an opportunity to have thoughts that haunt her. Her next viable option would be... Jessica scanned through the list in her mind and thought of Taeyeon. She contemplated. Sooyoung and Tiffany just called her over a few hours ago and if she were to call her out again, would she find her annoying? She spun her phone between her fingers and bit her lips. But she needed some distraction and Taeyeon seemed like a good option.

"Hello?" Taeyeon picked up after a ring.

"Taeyeon? Uh, do you have time now?" Jessica asked carefully.

"Mm, I'm at Yoris. You can come over, if you want." She was at Yoris again.

"Can you... come out?"

"Oh, uh, yeah, sure. Where are you? I'll go there."

Jessica smiled and told Taeyeon her location. "Thank you, and sorry for calling you out again."

"It's alright, I need some time away from Yuri anyway," Taeyeon joked and Jessica could hear the owner's loud protest in the background. "You're going to scare your customers away, Yul," Taeyeon's voice sounded distant. "I'll be there soon."

Jessica kept her phone away and walked around the area, not wandering too far away just in case Taeyeon could not find her. But even if she walked away, maybe Taeyeon could still find her, she was quite certain. Taeyeon. This name was not unfamiliar to her. K.EMP was one of the top fashion label in the country and when Taeyeon took over, it was on the cover of many tabloids. It was hard to believe that Taeyeon was the same age as her because she looked really young, but something about her also gave her a mature feel. She was the embodiment of contradiction and yet, it was exactly this that made her an enigma. When Taeyeon first offered her the project through Sunny, she was surprised, really taken aback. When she first saw Taeyeon, she was not going to deny her interest in getting to know her more because she had this intriguing air of mystery. She slowly grew to like her company because she took her mind off thinking too much about her marriage then, just like how she did last night. What was Taeyeon to her? A business partner? A friend?

Then what was herself to Taeyeon? Why would she ask her out for lunch so often then? Why would she keep her company when she had her own things to do? Then she thought of the day she told Taeyeon about her marriage over lunch and the distance she felt when Taeyeon looked at her afterwards. Could it be?