Chapter 15

Best Mistake

Jessica knocked on the door of the shared apartment and waited for either of her friends to open the door. She had the keys but she was just too lazy to dig for it, plus, Tiffany would definitely be awake.

"Coming!" Jessica heard a loud shout and immediately knew who was that. The door unlocked loudly and Tiffany welcomed her with a face mask and her hair tied up messily. Though she had known Tiffany for a very long time, she never got used to this and it gave her a shock everytime Tiffany did that. "You're back!"

"How many times do I have to tell you, don't open the door like that!" Jessica complained. She slipped into her flip-flops and passed the bag of cup noodles to her friend. Sooyoung's face lit up when she heard the mention of cup noodles and jumped up from the sofa. 

"Thank goodness you're back, I'm starving." Sooyoung looked into the bag and frowned. "Why did you buy two of each flavour?"

"Ah, I didn't buy them." Jessica smiled apologetically. "Taeyeon did. I was asleep on the way back and she bought them for me."

"Oh, is it?" Sooyoung muttered thoughtfully. "Well, it's alright as long as it's the brand I like. How does she know which brand I like?"

"Uh, I don't know? She guessed?" 

"Hm," Sooyoung replied shortly and walked to the kitchen to prepare her supper. "Oh, and your good-for-nothing husband called. So many times."

Tiffany and Jessica stood outside the kitchen and leaned against the wall. Tiffany nodded and gave a frustrated expression. She lowered her volume and said, "If you don't come back, I'm sure with her hunger and anger, she would have smashed my phone. Maybe she would even go to your apartment again and kick him again. With studded shoes." 

"Tiff, you know that even when you whisper your voice is really loud right?" Sooyoung remarked as she waited for her water to boil. 

"Oh, shut up. Who was the one shouting just now?"

"I think I've made up my mind to divorce," Jessica said quietly. Her two friends turned to look at her instantly.

"Really? Have you thought it through?" Sooyoung came out of the kitchen and stood between the doorway. 

"For the whole day, yeah, I have." Jessica nodded and heard the kettle whistled. "Choi Sooyoung, your water."

"Oh boy!" Sooyoung exclaimed and slid into the kitchen once more and frantically wrestled with the electronic stove. 

"Did Taeyeon give you any... opinions?" Tiffany slowly asked. 

"Taeyeon? No, why would she? I didn't even tell her I want to get a divorce." 

"Well," Tiffany said suggestively. Jessica could see that Tiffany was trying to imply something and that something, she could already guess.

"Tiff, no."

"What? I didn't say anything!" Tiffany shook her hands and crossed them in front of her chest. 

Sooyoung came out of the kitchen with chopsticks in and the cup in her hand. She looked at Tiffany and shook her head. She said incomprehensibly, "Miss Hwang, how long have we known you? You can be so obvious at times. Yes, Jess, that's what she was saying."

Sooyoung walked past the both of them and sank into the sofa, watching the movie they had played while waiting for Jessica to get home. Tiffany looked at Jessica and shook her head vigorously. Jessica sighed and went to the living room, settling down beside Sooyoung.

"I know what you're implying, Tiff," Jessica said to her friend who sat down on the bean bag sofa beside her. "Taeyeon likes me?"

"You knew?" Tiffany gasped. Sooyoung rolled her eyes and slurped on her noodles. She really needed to stop being such a drama queen.

"I guessed..." Jessica tapped her fingers against her cheek.

"Then what do you think about her?" Sooyoung asked, poking Jessica's arm with the clean end of the chopsticks.

What did she think about her? Jessica had never thought of that question seriously. Taeyeon was mysterious to her, like a tough nut to crack. She did not tell her much about herself before they went to Busan together, actually, they did not have much opportunity because most of the time they were just talking about work. She could be a potential good friend, at least from what she gathered from the trip. She was caring and could spot the tiny details. In summary, she thought Taeyeon was much more mature than she perceived, making her dependable. But then she did not know why, under any circumstances, would Taeyeon like her in the first place? She was not a very interesting person to begin with. Like Taeyeon, she thought she was unapproachable. "I don't know actually."

"Cool?" Jessica nodded hesitantly. "Cute?" She nodded once more, even more slowly. "Dependable?" She hung her head low and nodded again.

"That's what I thought too," Tiffany said. "When she came running that night, I knew her concern for you was more than a friend. I mean, you two are not even that close yet. Why would she bother coming at midnight? Also, you said she might be avoiding you. What for? Like all of the sudden why would she?"

"Yeah, I thought of that too." Sooyoung held her cup noodles in front of Jessica and pushed it slightly towards her. Jessica looked at Sooyoung and took the cup, stirring it before taking a bite. "I asked her if she liked anyone."

Tiffany sat up straight and leaned forward, resting her chin on her fist. "What did she say?"

"She said she do have someone in mind."

"Oh my lord." Sooyoung held her breath.

"And she's married."

"She," Sooyoung repeated.

"I asked her if she's going to tell her that she likes her..."

"Why would you do that!" Tiffany exclaimed, smacking her forehead with her right hand. "What did she say?"

"No, not now."

"See, I knew it. Of course she wouldn't say yes. What are you going to do if she said yes?"

Jessica opened to say something but nothing came out. What was she going to say if that were to happen? But she did not feel too bad about the thought of Taeyeon liking her. It was not repulsive, in fact, she was alright with it, maybe a little happy even. At least she knew she had not lost her charm. Jessica laughed coldly at herself. What a pathetic thought. But to receive love from someone like Taeyeon who rejected everyone when she was younger, it was quite a privilege, wasn't it? And what were the chances of her returning the feelings? With all these happening at the same time, she was not even sure how she felt towards Taeyeon. To feel something towards someone in a period like this, she could not be sure of how she felt. It felt like she just needed someone else to talk to, she needed someone to distract her as she thought about her future with Harvey. Future? No, they were not going to have a future anymore. But would there be a chance for her with someone else in the near future? She was not sure if she would be ready, at least to be sure that she was not using someone else's feelings to make herself feel better. Especially not Taeyeon's, not after knowing what she could have been put through.

"I don't know, Tiff. I just want to, get over Harvey quick and put all my effort into my work."

"Are you sure you can get over him quick?" Sooyoung asked.

Jessica knew it would be difficult since he was her first love and usually, first love would be the one that hurt the most, or at least so she thought but after spending at least seven years with Harvey, their love had faded away as time went by. Maybe Emma was not the third party, it was time. Time put them through a test and both of them could not pass it. Harvey could not resist the temptation and she did not know what to do. Maybe it would not be so difficult to get over him afterall. She smiled sadly and shrugged, "I hope so. It still hurts."

"It will, honey, but don't lock yourself up. There are better people waiting for you." Sooyoung hugged her friend. She was worried that Jessica might ultimately get hurt in her relationship and the thing she was most afraid of, happened eventually. When Jessica started to tell them about Taeyeon, Sooyoung did secretly go around asking her friends about that person. Though she did not gather a lot, but from what she heard, Taeyeon was a nice person, just a bit icy cold. But that would be just like Jessica, so what would be the problem?

Jessica got the hint from what Sooyoung said and she could only hope that she would be able to open up to the one that had stayed for her. Like what Taeyeon said, she accepted Yuri would be there to stay so she opened up to her, and now she got a friend who was like family to her. Hopefully by then, she would be able to do that, and maybe, she would be able to accept a new relationship. Maybe, she would fall in love with Taeyeon.

-

A/N: Just a short update! :) This might be the second last or last update before I go on a short writing break because I'll be busy again. I'll probably be back after four or five days. On a side note, I was listening to TTS' "Whisper" just now, and I'm really glad they're back after 2 years! I can't wait for their new album next week.