Chapter 18

Best Mistake

"So, what are you going to do? Are you going to... stay with him?" Taeyeon asked. Judging from Jessica's reaction just now, the chance of her staying with her husband was highly unlikely but there would always be a slight chance of it happening.

"No, I'm getting a divorce." There was a certainty in Jessica's voice which Taeyeon had never heard before. "I was actually quite hesitant when I filled in the form but after he said that, I'm quite sure that was what I want. Just looking at him makes me feel... I don't know, stupid. How did I not see that side of him?"

The heaviness Taeyeon felt in her chest was suddenly lifted. Maybe she got a chance afterall.

"Taeyeon, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure, go ahead."

"Uhm, let's say I met this person who is really nice to me and... I seem to enjoy the company..." Jessica spoke softly, looking at the road. She could feel Taeyeon looking at her and she refused to turn her head. The person she was referring to was none other than the person beside her. When Harvey was talking to Taeyeon just now, she was suddenly worried; she was afraid that Harvey would do something to Taeyeon. For the past few months, she enjoyed Taeyeon's company but she was unsure whether if she was just dependent on her for comfort or she really had some feelings for her. And with all that is happening right now, it just made her even more unsure. She could feel that the longer she took to finish the sentence, the more intense Taeyeon's gaze was. "Does that make me... Is that... An emotional affair?"

Taeyeon sensed the hesitant in Jessica's voice and it was quite obvious that Jessica might be referring to her. That suddenly made her nervous and she stared at Jessica trying to make sense of her expression but there was nothing for her to read. It was glad to know that Jessica enjoyed her company, at least she knew she was not annoyed with her but what struck her was the question "Is that... An emotional affair?".

"I don't know," Taeyeon shrugged, trying to feign calmness. "Why do you think it might be?"

"Just... I... A gut feeling."

"Do you think the person likes you?" Taeyeon asked boldly.

"I think... Yeah," Jessica's eyes darted to Taeyeon quickly and saw her smiling subtly.

"Do you like the person?" Taeyeon asked rather casually.

Jessica was expecting the question but she still did not know how to answer it. Whenever she thought about it, she ended up going round in circles. If she liked Taeyeon, maybe it was out of gratitude or for comfort and that would not be truly liking her which would hurt her and she did not want that to happen. She tried to make sense of her concern for Taeyeon when she seemed like she was troubled or that little panic she had when Taeyeon avoided her. It was... Oh lord, all these were happening too fast and too much.

"I don't know, I really don't know."

Taeyeon was a little rejected when she heard that but she understood. What she told Harvey was true, she would wait, wait until Jessica was free and wait until she was sure of her feelings. She did not know where she got that confidence that Jessica would like her but she was certain not to make the same mistake again. She was not going to interfere another marriage, even if it is in danger.

"I'm sure if that person really likes you, he will wait."

"How are you so sure that person is a he?"

"Oh, it's not?" Taeyeon grinned.

Jessica pulled up in front of Yoris and Yuri just came out of the shop. Jessica rolled her eyes at Taeyeon. It was so painfully obvious that Taeyeon knew about Jessica's knowledge of her liking her and she was just holding it back but she was thankful because if Taeyeon were to confess right there and then, she would have kicked her out of the car. It would be too awkward. Taeyeon chuckled softly and got off the car. She held the door open and this time, smiling genuinely, "Don't think about it too much. Just do what you have to do now and focus on preparing for the show. And... Remember, if that person really likes you, she will wait."

Taeyeon shut the door and headed towards Yuri was watching them from the shop. When the both of them left for Yuri's car, they turned around and waved. She suddenly remembered Taeyeon saying 'she' instead of 'he' and she smiled. She could count on her to do that.

-

"That jerk said what?" Sooyoung shouted as Jessica told her friends what happened in the afternoon. "He is unbelievable!"

"So he refused to sign it?" Tiffany asked.

"From the looks of it, yeah, it's unlikely for him to sign it now."

"I don't know why you're still so kind to him Jess. Just give him a slap there and then, maybe he'll wake up!" Sooyoung put her hands on her hips. "I think I need to give him a slap too."

"Soo, you slapped his girl- I mean, the other girl, not his- but oh nevermind, the thing is, yeah, you should have slapped him," Tiffany said.

"I really wanted to when he spoke to Taeyeon."

"You said he what?" Sooyoung shouted again. "What did he say?"

"That I'm still his."

"Oh the lord is testing me, that man is, I knew he was no good from the start!" Sooyoung walked around the living room. "He's a two-faced jerk."

"Jess, you know you're still his wife by law right? I mean he got a point there. Don't let him catch any idea to force you to stay."

"Don't worry, Tiff. He won't."

"Did Taeyeon say anything?"

"She uh, said that... she'll wait, or at least I think she was referring to herself."

"You asked her?" Her friends' eyes widened.

"No, no, I didn't, well I hinted, like it wasn't really obvious but I don't know, she is smart, she caught on..."

"I like her so much better than Harvey, she's such a meticulous person, like she actually left when I kinda signalled her I wanted to talk to Yuri this morning at the cafe." Tiffany rolled around on the sofa and stretched.

"You're such a mean person, Tiff." Sooyoung pushed her off lightly and she landed with a thud on the ground.

"Hey! Why did you do that?" Tiffany protested, rubbing her elbow. "I mean, I wanted to ask Yuri out and- oh ."

Sooyoung and Jessica turned their head immediately to Tiffany and looked at her with narrowed eyes. She quickly got up and made a run for her room after realising the slip of her tongue. "You did not hear what I've just said!"