Chapter 17

Best Mistake

Jessica drove back to her company, still slightly angry over what Harvey had just accused her of. Seriously? Her having someone when she was in a marriage? She would never think of that. Something she could not tolerate was infidelity and let alone do it. She disliked people who are involve in such a thing, of course she would not do it herself. She could only laugh bitterly at herself, laugh at how stupid she was to think even for a second that Harvey was truly sorry for cheating on her. She was not going to believe him again.

She looked through the designs submitted by her designers and drew a few sketches herself before calling them for a meeting. For the whole day, she busied herself with work and it almost felt like things were back to normal when everything was fine, and she was contented with her life, but when night came, reality hit her. How she wished her work could go on infinitely. Saying it did not hurt was definitely a lie because how could she not hurt? As much as she told herself everything would be fine, the pain would go, she knew it would take quite a while. She sat down at her desk and looked at the sketches spread out in front of her. She wondered how would things turn out if she did not say being his wife was one of her dreams. Maybe he would not have proposed? But if he was intending to propose that day, he would have a way.

She picked up her pencil and spun in between her fingers. Back to work, she sighed just as she heard a knock on her door.

"Jessica?" Her secretary stood at her door. "Someone's here to see you."

"Mm?" Jessica raised her eyebrows. Who could it be at this time? She did not recall having anyone visiting today. She motioned for her secretary to let the person in and she went back to editing the sketches. She heard the sound of high heels approaching her desk and she looked up to see Taeyeon standing in front of her. She had her hair tied back into a ponytail, showing her refined jawline. She had a subtle smile on a face as she nodded slightly to her while putting a file in front of her.

"The details of the show, here."

"Why would you trouble yourself when you can have one of your hundred workers to come down?" Jessica found her inner thoughts slipping out and she immediately shut .

Taeyeon knew exactly what she was referring and had an amused expression on her face. During that period of time while she was avoiding Jessica because she did not know how to feel, she had different employees going down to Jessica's each time to relay the files to her. This was her first time at Jessica's company and she was quite impressed with the layout of the company. Neat and elegant, just like the owner herself.

Jessica peered up to see Taeyeon still standing there looking around her office. She closed the file and picked up her pencil again, saying, "Do you still have anything? If so, please take a seat. I don't want the CEO of K.EMP to stand in front of me."

Taeyeon brushed her fringe away from her eyes and looked at the clock on the wall. "Do you want to have dinner together?"

She looked at the clock and realised that she had not eaten for the whole day. Jessica intented to have a light lunch while talking about the divorce matter with Harvey but she was too angry to even stay there so she left without buying something to eat. Surprisingly, she had not felt hungry for the whole day until then when Taeyeon mentioned it and her stomach protested silently. Taeyeon had been quite comfortable around her after the walk at midnight and she was glad but knowing Taeyeon might have feelings for her troubled her a bit.

"Sure."

"What do you want to eat?"

"Rice cake!" Jessica said without a thought.

"Oh?" Taeyeon looked surprised. She always thought Jessica was the type to eat at high-class restaurants so it came as a pleasant surprise to her. Pleasant because she was actually craving for rice cakes too. "Let's go then!"

"By the way, how do you know I'm still in my office?"

"Instinct," Taeyen replied.

Jessica raised her eyebrow in amusement as she gathered the sketches and put them neatly in a file before putting them into her bag. She had to come up with the final sketches by the end of the week and she only had two days left. Too much stress and with her marriage jeopardised, she could barely get into her usual working condition. Taeyeon looked at the stack of sketches as Jessica was packing up and from her troubled expression, she could guess what was going on in her mind.

"Do you need me to extend the deadline?" Taeyeon asked.

Jessica heard the question and stopped momentarily, looking at Taeyeon. "Huh?"

"Is it too rush for you to give me the sketches by the end of this week?"

Jessica looked at her bag with the sketches and shook her head. "Oh, no, it's fine. We're just into the final details. I don't want to slow down the planning."

"I think you're forgetting something," Taeyeon raised her index finger and pointed to herself. "I'm the one in charge. I call the shots."

Jessica let out a laugh and she shook her head, making her way to Taeyeon. She pushed her away lightly and rolled her eyes. "You're too full of yourself, Miss Kim. I'm your partner, I call the shots too."

Taeyeon looked on as Jessica left the office and she laughed softly to herself. Her stress was evident on her face yet she still said she was okay. Jessica was just like herself and that made her want to care for her even more. She followed Jessica to the carpark and stood beside her car. Jessica looked at her weirdly and looked around. She did not see a Mercedes in sight.

"You didn't drive here?"

"Sunny drove me here." Taeyeon said. "Care to give me a ride?"

Jessica thought she would be rather uncomfortable with Taeyeon being more open to her but actually, it felt comfortable, just like talking to a friend of many years. Since Taeyeon drove her to Busan and back, of course it would not hurt her to drive her around the corner to grab some rice cakes. "Sure."

She drove to Dongdaemun Market and the two got off. They got the food and continued to walk around the market. It was about ten and the market was still crowded but they did not like the crowd so they decided to go back. When they returned to the place where they left their car, Jessica saw someone leaning against her car and she immediately knew who it was from the height. Taeyeon was a bit taken aback to see a man at Jessica's car and she stood a distance away while Jessica approached him.

"What are you doing here?" Jessica asked, brushing him aside as she opened the door. "I don't really want to see you right now."

"Jess, look, I want to say sorry. For this afternoon." 

"Harvey, just... stop. The more you explain, the more I don't want to listen. Just leave. Think about what I've given you this afternoon."

Harvey? Jessica's husband? Taeyeon looked at the men carefully. Tall and lean with sharp facial features. He was good looking and would be charming to most girls, and Jessica was be one of them. So he cheated on Jessica? It was no wonder, with his good looks, there were bound to be many girls around him and if he gave in to temptation, that would be the outcome. She was still standing a distance away from the car as she looked at Harvey talking to Jessica who was already in the car. He bent down and had his face close to Jessica's and at that moment, Taeyeon felt uncomfortable and she remembered they were still married, even though they had problems with their marriage, they were still bounded by law. She felt like she was an outsider and at that moment, as bad as a person who had just cheated.

"Taeyeon, are you coming? I'll send you back to Yoris." Jessica called out, shutting the door at Harvey. Upon calling out her name, Harvey turned to look in her direction. His eyes had some sort of a fire in them and Taeyeon felt threatened instantly.

He turned angrily to Jessica again and pointed at to herself. He questioned, "You were saying you don't have anyone?"

"For the last time, Harvey Lee, I don't have anyone else. Stop putting me on the same level as you, do you hear me? You said you were sorry and now what? Accusing me again? What are you, Harvey Lee?" Jessica shouted. "Taeyeon, get in the car."

"Uh," Taeyeon stood her ground as she looked at Harvey who was looking at her with threatening eyes. He was protective, she could see. He had mistaken her for the 'someone' Jessica had and that was because he still cared. As much as he had betrayed her, he felt betrayed too but that was unjustified because he could probably just be pushing half the blame away just to make himself feel better. Taeyeon knew, she saw it before, and it was something she really did not want to remember but it just kept coming back to her.

Harvey made his way to her and kept a distance between them. "So you're Taeyeon huh? Jessica has been talking about you to me for quite some time."

Taeyeon just wanted to run.

"You know, Jessica is still my girl. And if you were to come between us," Harvey sneered. "You'll make her and yourself, just as bad as me."

She hated that tone. She hated it. She could still remember that mocking tone the man she thought she once loved used. "Do you actually think I've loved you before? If not for your money, I wouldn't have gotten close to you at all." When his wife found out, he pretended to be the victim, saying she seduced him first and he was completely the innocent party. After everything happened, Taeyeon wondered how mindless his wife could be in actually pretending that her husband was innocent. It would always be a painful teaching for her to be more careful but alas, the same thing was happening again, in front of her. As she recalled what had happened, anger and frustration rushed in. No way she was going to be accused of what she had not done.

"I'm aware of that, and I have no intention of getting between the both of you. From what I've heard, you're the one who had some problems, so I know exactly what you're trying to do." Taeyeon answered back softly but surely. "And with that said, that doesn't mean I don't have feelings for her. I do, and I'm not going to deny it. But you know what, I'm not like you. I won't tempt people into another relationship when they're attached. I would wait."

Taeyeon walked away, clenching her fists and gritted her teeth. Having the past taunting her was enough, she did not need another person to do so. She got into Jessica's car and the latter quickly drove away, leaving Harvey standing there, angry, embarrassed and another wave of regret hitting him, 

Jessica noticed that Taeyeon was holding her breath as she looked out the window. She could not hear what the two of them were saying because all of the sudden, they were speaking so softly. Harvey's expression was cocky at first but then after Taeyeon replied him, his expression sunk and could see that he was defeated. On the other hand, she could see Taeyeon bottling up her emotions.

"What did he tell you?" Jessica asked carefully.

Taeyeon kept quiet for a second before answering, "That you're still his."

Jessica pursed her lips. She knew Harvey would say that. He had always been like that. When they go to gatherings and dinners, he would always put his hands around her and said that she was his, sometimes she felt happy that he said that but sometimes it just felt like he was just showing off his precious object. And she knew very well why he said that. He questioned her about having someone and naturally, when he saw Taeyeon, he might have thought Taeyeon would be that somebody and she felt sorry from bringing Taeyeon into this situation.

"Taeyeon, I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologising?"

"Because you're dragged into this."

Taeyeon waved it off, saying, "This is nothing, I've dealt with worse."

Jessica did not register what Taeyeon had just said and continued asking, "So what did you say to him?"

"Uh..." Taeyeon did not know how to answer her because by doing so, that would be confessing. "There was nothing going between us."

Jessica let out a grunt. "That was what I told him too, I don't know what he was thinking at all."

Taeyeon felt like she was walking on a tight rope in mid-air, one wrong step, she would fall and maybe even hurt others as well. She could neither move forward or go back because going forward would mean confessing to Jessica, risking the little amount of friendship they have and it would feel like she was taking the opportunity to have Jessica. And there was no going back either for she knew, her feelings was not going to disappear and forcing herself to stop loving Jessica would be miserable. She needed something to help make up her mind, she needed something to force her to think everything through, to know what she had exactly at stake, but what was it? She could not even help herself anymore.

-

A/N: Hello! Update! I was busy with work for the past few days but I can relax a little now. Just to clear things up a little bit (and a little recap)... Jessica could guess that Taeyeon likes her and there is something inside her that feels for Taeyeon too but she just doesn't know it because everything that is going on is a little too much for her to handle.

On the side note, TTS is back! I really like the entire Holler album as a whole but I still kinda prefer Twinkle to Holler as a title track.