Chapter 10

Best Mistake

"Are you sure you're not going to go back?" Tiffany nudged her friend.

"No, I want to stay with you two. It has been a while, hasn't it?" Jessica replied, fiddling with her phone. Sure she wanted to stay for the night with her friends because she missed them, but the truth was, she was afraid. Afraid of going back to her house and find things she did not want, or did not have the courage to see. She was a coward, she did not want to accept the fact that something had gone wrong in her marriage. Not yet.

"If you say so honey." Tiffany pulled Jessica in for a side hug and the three of them stared at the television screen flashing scenes from Discovery Channel. Jessica did not know when either of them switched the channel but she was thankful. She was in no mood for those soap operas. She leaned on Tiffany's shoulder and closed her eyes. Just sleep, it would be a brighter day tomorrow, she told herself. Tiffany and patted Jessica's head while Sooyoung held onto Jessica's hand. She was glad to have her friends with her but if they could not spend time with her, she would be alone and she was not ready to tell her mother about this. Maybe she should tell Taeyeon, but on what basis? Ten minutes later, Jessica's breathing slowed down and Tiffany knew she was asleep.

Tiffany reached over to Sooyoung and pinched her thigh to catch her attention. Sooyoung turned her head sharply towards Tiffany and frowned. "Ouch!" She mouthed. Tiffany ignored her protest and darted her eyes towards Jessica who was sound asleep. Sooyoung knew what Tiffany was saying - "How?" She shrugged her shoulders lightly and made an angry face which Tiffany understood as, "That disgusting man, I know what's he up to." Tiffany nodded in understanding and agreement, then she glanced at Sooyoung and smirked. Sooyoung immediately understood what her friend was saying and shook her head towards the door. Tiffany raised an 'okay' sign and stood up. She piggybacked Jessica into her own room that was kept like how she had left it and tucked her into bed.

"Let's go!" Sooyoung waved her hand, urging to Tiffany to hurry up. "It's almost midnight!"

"Yes, yes, don't rush me, you know how I'm like when I'm rushed," Tiffany grabbed her sunglasses from the coffee table and threw it in her bag.

"Why do you need your sunglasses at night?" Sooyoung stared at her friend in disbelief and dragged her towards the door.

"To scare him of course."

"Oh please, that coward would be scared of us even if we just go there in singlets and shorts." Sooyoung sped off in the direction of Jessica's apartment. She raised her fist and shook it in the air. "You mess with our friend, we'll make sure you don't see the sun!"

-

Yuri leaned against the wall and peeked over at Taeyeon's phone. She shook her head and smiled. She knew there was no use nagging at Taeyeon over and over again, all she had to do was to trust that Taeyeon had matured and thought about how she was going to handle the situation. "Texting Jessica?"

Taeyeon jumped a little when she heard Yuri behind her and threw her phone across the sofa. "Kwon Yuri!"

Yuri laughed and sat down beside Taeyeon on the sofa. "I thought you said you have some work left to do?"

"I do!" Taeyeon hit Yuri on the arm. "I thought we agreed to not peep at each other's phone!"

Yuri shrugged and grabbed the remote control to switch on the television. Taeyeon glanced sideways at Yuri. No nagging? "Are you going to nag at me again?"

"Is that how you see me, huh?" Yuri said with a poker face. "And no, I'm not going to nag at you anymore. I trust you."

"Thank you Yuri." Taeyeon put her laptop away and hugged the person beside her and pushed her down on the sofa. "What do I do without you?"

"I don't know? I thought someone hated me so much at first." Yuri pinched Taeyeon's face.

"I was still young then."

"Right." Yuri nodded and agreed sarcastically.

"Really!" Taeyeon protested.

"Yeah, yeah, alright, you were young back then," Yuri brushed her off. "Just know I'll always be here when you need me."

"Love you."

"Gosh, that's disgusting." Yuri made a disgusted face as a zombie flashed across the televsion screen.

"Are you talking about me?" Taeyeon shot Yuri a glare.

"No, no, of course. I'm uh, talking about that dude over there," Yuri muttered and pointed to the screen. "See that ugly dude. Gosh, he's so disgusting."

Taeyeon rolled her eyes and went back to her work. She paused for a while and looked at Yuri as she remembered something. "Yuri."

"Yeah?" Yuri took a sip of her tea.

"Do you like Tiffany?" Taeyeon asked suddenly.

Upon hearing Taeyeon's question, she choked and coughed violently for a few times. Was she trying to kill me? What kind of question was that? Taeyeon saw the reaction her friend gave and started laughing. Yuri's face was bright red and Taeyeon could not tell the reason - either she was blushing or she was just choking really badly. She grabbed a piece of tissue and gave it to Yuri.

"Drink some tea." Taeyeon pushed the cup up to her lips. "Man, your reaction says so much."

Yuri coughed a few more times and patted her chest. That was the worst feeling. To have a little rascal questioning her about her love life and choking at the same time. "Do you really have to ask that when I'm drink my tea?"

"Well, I can ask that anytime. So, do you? I know she likes you, well, 99 percent sure. Your face featured in the great artist's sketchbook." Taeyeon tapped on her keyboard. 

Yuri felt her face getting hotter. She knew Tiffany might like her because she was always there at her shop, from morning till night. She knew her cake was nice, many people told her that, but it was impossible for someone to eat it everyday without getting sick. Tiffany was an exception. She arrived an hour or two after the shop opened for the day, stayed till lunch and went out for lunch before coming back again. Everytime she gave her order, she would have her brightest and her most attractive smile on and Yuri would be stun for a brief moment before she reminded herself that there were still other customers waiting.

"Are you blushing or is that from the coughing?" Taeyeon touched Yuri's cheek.

"Gosh, you're so annoying." Yuri brushed Taeyeon's hand away and headed for the kitchen. Taeyeon laughed to herself and shook her head lightly. Someone was in love too.

-

Sooyoung pulled up in front of Jessica's apartment and pushed Tiffany gently. "Wake up, sleepy head. How do you even manage to sleep? That was such a short ride! Tiffany Hwang, your eyes are swollen. Man, you're amazing. Put on your sunglasses, we can't go up looking like that!"

"For lord's sake Sooyoung stop talking." Tiffany blinked a few times and took out her sunglasses from her bag. "Gosh, I look ridiculous."

"Let's go! We need to bust them." Sooyoung linked arms with Tiffany and headed towards the security who stopped them. "What a lovely night sir, we're here to grab something for our friend. She's sick and she lives here. Miss Jung. Jessica Jung, you know her?" 

The security glanced at the two women in front of him. They looked decently dressed, well enough to be associated with Miss Jung, except for the one in sunglasses. He looked at his watch. It was twenty past midnight and the woman was wearing sunglasses. Sooyoung noticed the security's hesistant and she knew it was because of Tiffany. "Sir, she has swollen eyes so it's best for her to put on her sunglasses."

"Is that so?" The security questioned and nodded. "You may go."

"Thank you!" Sooyoung pulled Tiffany along with her into the lobby and pulled off her sunglasses. "Woman, this is ridiculous!"

"You were the one who told me to wear this!" Tiffany snatched back her Ray-Ban.

"Shhh, keep quiet."

"Choi Sooyoung, we're in the lift." The lift stopped with a ding and the doors opened.

"No, we're not." Sooyoung stepped out and turned towards Jessica's apartment. "Do we kick down the door?"

"That's the dumbest thing I've heard. Of course we don't. This door is expensive!" Tiffany pressed on the buzzer.

"Now you're giving them time!"

"Be quiet!" Tiffany said in a hushed voice as she heard footsteps behind the door. There was a moment of silence before the door opened slightly.

"Sooyoung? Tiffany?" Harvey asked as he opened the door wider. "Why are you here? Where's Jessica?"

"Oh, she's at home. Our home, I mean. Uh, she wants us to get something for her because she's tired. She's sleeping right now. Can we go in?" Tiffany said as sweetly as possible.

Harvey's eyes darted back and forth from Sooyoung and Tiffany. "Sure. Come in."

Sooyoung and Tiffany sauntered into the apartment and walked to the Jessica's bedroom (with Harvey). The both of them scanned the room suspiciously. The bed sheet was messy with a book lying on it and the bathroom light was switched off. They looked at each other weirdly and continued to search for the 'thing' that they needed. Harvey stood by the door and looked nervously at the two friends. "What are you finding?"

"Uh... something..." Sooyoung muttered as she walked around the room. Tiffany pulled Sooyoung to her and pinched her lightly. She glared at her, meaning, "What do you mean by something?"

"We need her files." Tiffany smiled. "The one that uh, the project with K.EMP."

"Oh, that one. It's right there." Harvey pointed to the files on the table in the corner which they had looked through.

"Oh, so that's the one!" Tiffany laughed, making it sound as natural as possible. "We didn't know how it looked like."

Harvey returned a stiff smile. "Is that all?"

Tiffany nodded while Sooyoung shook her head. "Yes, we're done. We'll be going back now." The two of them walked out of the room, with Harvey following them to the door. "Sorry to interrupt. We'll call the next time."

Harvey nodded. "No worries. Take care of Jessica."

"Oh, you don't need to worry about that. We will." Sooyoung smiled this time. "Be sure to take care of her too when she comes home tomorrow."

They left and Harvey closed the door behind them. They looked at each other and tilted their heads. "There's no one?"

"He's good," Tiffany spat out and she felt so sorry for Jessica because she knew something had really gone wrong.

-

Harvey closed the door behind Sooyoung and Tiffany and his tensed body relaxed immediately. He would never have thought Jessica' two friends would come over but he knew for what reason. It was clear that the things they said to him before the left meant something. A warning. He knew he should not have played with fire in the first place but what could he do? He could not be blamed for love. He walked to the balcony and drew the curtain away. "They're gone."

-

A/N: Some of you might be wondering why Jessica doesn't want to go back. Yes, she's afraid because Harvey is her first love (hard to believe but yes, he's her first love) and she doesn't want her first love and also her marriage to end this way. She may be capable and look strong on the outside but everyone has a soft side right?