Chapter 2

Best Mistake

Taeyeon looked at her watch and grunted as she tapped her fingers impatiently on the steering wheel. The traffic had always been the bane of her existence and she considered, for a slight moment, to abandon her Mercedes and walk to the meeting place. She was late and she could imagine the look of irritation over Jessica's face after replaying her tone of annoyance last night in her head over and over again.

After what felt like eons, she finally reached the restaurant. She saw Jessica sitting by the window, spacing out in the direction of the streets. Her heart did that thing again as she walked closer and closer to the table where Jessica was sitting at. A golden light shone on her, tracing the perfect outline of her face, imprinting it deeply in Taeyeon's mind.

"Sorry I'm late. Traffic." Taeyeon sat down in front of Jessica, giving her an apologetic smile.

Jessica snapped out of her daydream as she saw a figure shifting into sight. "Oh, you're here. It's alright, I just reached too."

Taeyeon smiled again, this time a bit more awkwardly and took the menu which the waitor held out to her. She glanced over to Jessica who was studying the menu, completely ignoring the fact that her stomach was protesting and urging her to order her lunch. She did not realise she was staring until Jessica called out to her.

"Taeyeon?"

"Eh? Oh, uh, my order, right," Taeyeon flipped through the menu and quickly made an order as she felt her face burning from embarrassment.

"Is that all you are ordering?" The waitor jotted down their orders and repeated it.

"Yes, thank you," Jessica replied politely with a light smile.

"Your food will be served in a while." The waitor bowed and took his leave.

"Let's start discussing about the project?" Jessica broke the silence between them.

Taeyeon nodded, taking out the files from her bag. For a moment, she did not know what to say to the woman in front of her. Usually, she would be the one bringing up topics but she realised they had ran out of topics to talk about, except fashion, which was tragically, part of their work. Sure she had quite a lot of things in common with Jessica but it would be weird to bring up those subjects again because it would seem like she was trying too hard.

"This is the details that my team has crafted, you can take a look at it and feel free to add in any idea that you think is appropriate."

Jessica reached over to take the files and a flash of light cut through Taeyeon's eyes. Instinctively, she squeezed her eyes shut and winced in pain. Jessica heard the soft hiss from Taeyeon and looked at her worriedly.

"Are you okay?" Her voice so gentle that miraculously, her eyes did not hurt anymore but she could still see bright sparks in front of her. She looked around for the source of her pain and something struck her. Sparkling in front of her eyes was a small yet prominent diamond ring resting on Jessica's finger. A sudden coldness shot through her body as she frantically hope that it was not on her ring finger but the sad truth was, it was.

Jessica saw Taeyeon spacing out again and traced her sight to her ring. After realising it was her ring which reflected light into Taeyeon's eyes, she quickly covered it with her right hand and smiled apologetically at her. "Ah, was it my ring? Sorry."

Taeyeon looked at Jessica, eyes as empty as a vessel, not knowing what to feel. She was married? "You're married?"

"Ah?" Jessica blinked as she registered the question. "Oh, yea, I am. Three years."

Three years? It felt like someone had just crashed the cymbals in her ears three times, each time for the year she was married. Why was she feeling this way? Whether or not she was married had no connection to her. Was she being hopeful? The last time she checked, she was pretty sure she was not attracted to her. And how long had it been since they first met? A month? She was definitely not the kind of person to fall in love with a person who she met a month ago. "Come on, say something intelligent, stop staring at her you stupid pea brain," something called out to her.

"Ah." Well, how intelligent. "Your husband must be very lucky."

Jessica laughed shyly and shook her, "Not really, I'm the lucky one. I met him when I seven years ago..."

Jessica plunged into a detailed recollection of the first meeting with Harvey, outlining every thing they had done together in the span of seven years, their aspirations, their vows, pausing momentarily for the food to be served; Taeyeon listened to her with a joyful expression, nodding whenever appropriate as she silently raised the spoon to in regular intervals, never did she once interrupt as her food slide down dryly and rested in her stomach, threatening to tear it apart after she realised there was no more food in her plate.

"He is a wonderful man and I'm really lucky to have him by my side," Jessica finally concluded her story to Taeyeon's relief.

"That's nice," Taeyeon replied as she staredly blankly at her empty plate. "Uh, do you mind if I use the restroom for a moment?"

"Oh, no, go ahead. I'll finish my food quickly then we can start the discussion."

"Thank you," Taeyeon said politely and got up, which for some reason, made her stomach felt even more uncomfortable. She floated to the toilet and shut the cubicle door behind her. Her eyes did not hurt anymore but strangely, a part of her hurt. She took a deep breath, thinking it must be her lunch that was hurting her stomach but it was still there. The pain clinging on to something in her.

"What do you want with me, you stupid body," Taeyeon hissed as sat down on the lid of the toilet bowl.

"How do you like it?" She heard. "The pain of loving again."

Her heart. That something that the pain was clinging on to, was her heart. She shook her head in denial. It could not be. Her heart was working fine all this while. No more pain, no more lapse.

"No..." She muttered softly. "No, it's not..."

"Yes, it is, you silly girl. You're in love again."

No, but she did not want to be in love again.