Chapter 23

Best Mistake

Three days passed by without a call from Taeyeon and Jessica had been spending her time at the company, doing her things. She told her parents about Taeyeon, and the thoughts about starting a relationship with her. Surprisingly her parents did not react the way she expected them to (which is to go crazy), but rather, they were quite patient in hearing her out. 

"I need to see her though," her mother said. 

"Mom..." Jessica complained.

"What? You mean I can't see this person that my daughter has been telling me for months right?" 

"You can... but don't... say anything... abrupt to her?" 

"Your mom may be protective but she's not nasty," her father chuckled. "And she sounds like a great girl."

Jessica told her parents about Taeyeon, everything about her, including the accident she got in, but not in detail. Honestly, she was quite sure that after three days of not seeing Taeyeon, she missed her. 

"I hope she's not like your husband. Ex-husband."

"Mom, I'm sure you'll like her."

-

Taeyeon did not call Jessica for three days. She decided it was best for her to not see her until Jessica settled her own affairs, though she really wanted to see her. The little news she got of her was from Sunny when she brought in documents sent in from JDOT. 

"Tae?" Sunny poked her head into Taeyeon's office. "Someone at the reception said she's looking for you."

"Who is it?" Taeyeon did not recall anyone scheduled to meet her today. 

"A Mrs Jung."

A Jung? She knew of a Ms Jung but there were so many Jungs out there. She guessed she had time to spare. "I've some time, I'll see her now." 

"Right away." Sunny saluted jokingly. 

Who would want to see her? Taeyeon thought as she hit the end of the pen against her temple. She shrugged to herself and went back to signing the documents. She would know soon. And indeed, she heard a knock on her office door. She laid down her pen and called out, "Come in please!"

She stood up and in came a woman in her, well, Taeyeon would said mid-50s to 60s. She was tall and neatly dressed. She smiled and reached out a hand. Taeyeon quickly reached out her hand to give you a firm shake. 

"You're Mrs Jung?" Taeyeon asked. 

"Yes, I am." The woman was still smiling. 

"Please, take a seat." Taeyeon pointed to a seat in front of her desk. She went to her seat and sat face-to-face with Mrs Jung. "How may I help you, Mrs Jung?"

"You're Kim Taeyeon right?" She looked at through plate in front of her. Beside the engraved 'CEO' was the name Kim Taeyeon. It should be right. Her daughter said she was the CEO of a well-known fashion label in the country, and perhaps the world. Little had she thought that she would be the CEO of such a large company and so young at the same time. The girl sitting in front of her was pretty, prim and proper. Though her daughter said she was the same age, she looked much younger but there was something about her that screamed 'mature'.

"Yes, I am," Taeyeon replied, feeling a little weird. Shouldn't the woman know who she's looking for? 

"You're a lot different from what I've imagined you to look like. In a good way, of course." Mrs Jung said. Taeyeon frowned and sat up straight. What was she talking about? The woman apparently saw the change in Taeyeon's expression and smiled again. Something about that smiled looked familiar to Taeyeon. "Have you heard of JDOT?"

"Yes, I have. I'm working with them now, for the show about a month or so later." 

"Then, I'm sure you know Jessica Jung?" She was still smiling.

"Yes," Taeyeon answered carefully and something struck her. That smile. It looked like Jessica's smile. So the person in front of her... Oh boy. She gulped a little. 

Mrs Jung's smile widened. Her daughter said Taeyeon was a very meticulous and clever person but she could get a little awkward and nervous sometimes. "So have you guessed it already?"

Taeyeon stood up suddenly and bowed to Mrs Jung. She did not know why but she figured she just had to do it. "Mrs Jung, nice to meet you."

Mrs Jung laughed at Taeyeon's sudden bow. She was indeed an adorable person, and polite, not to mention pretty. She could already see why her daughter had good feelings towards her. Though she met her for the first time, it was comfortable and though it was in he office, she did not feel like she was an inferior to her. The first time she saw Harvey, he had this superior air around him. It annoyed her indefinitely. 

"It's alright, sit down, sit down. I hope it didn't come as a surprise for you?"

Taeyeon smiled awkwardly and nodded. Honestly, it did and she had no idea why Jessica's mother would be here. She did not tell her! 

"I've heard a lot from my daughter so I decided to see you."

Taeyeon nodded slowly. How many people did Jessica talk to about her. Why did everyone say that whenever they saw her. "I hope she didn't say anything bad about me..."

"She didn't," Mrs Jung smiled reassuringly. "In fact, she said quite a lot of good things about you."

Taeyeon smiled. "Ah, that's nice to know."

"So, uh, do you have a boyfriend yet?" 

That question came rather abruptly. "No, I don't." 

"Do you plan to have one anytime soon?"

The question was getting weirder, she could sense it. "I don't know. I'll leave it to fate, I guess?"

For months, her daughter had been telling her about Taeyeon here and there over dinner and phone calls. It was weird to have her daughter to talk to her about anyone unless she liked the person and she figured quite some time ago that maybe her daughter liked that person she had been telling her of. Then she suddenly told her she was going to get a divorce and there was a thought that occurred in her that maybe it was because of Taeyeon but in the end, it was because Harvey cheated. Her daughter did not tell her that Taeyeon had feelings for her until a few days ago along with Jessica saying that she liked her too. She did not know how to feel about it but she was grateful towards Taeyeon for keeping her daughter through the period of divorce. And as long as her daughter could be happy, she would not object but the last time she thought of that, it ended up as a mistake so she was certain that this time, she would not make it happen again. 

"My daughter is rather stupid in her choice of partner but uh, you don't seem to bad yourself, much better than her well, I guess you know already."

Taeyeon was a bit confused by what Mrs Jung had said. What was she trying to say? 

"She has kept you waiting, hasn't she?" Mrs Jung asked suddenly.

"Uh..." Taeyeon managed to say. "She didn't ask me to wait for her... it was a rather... one-sided thing." 

"Oh, is it?" Mrs Jung nodded. So Taeyeon did not know surely about her daughter's feelings? She understood her daughter's hesitance though. She could have found out that she might have feelings for Taeyeon while she was getting a divorce and she was scared that it was just something she felt in split moment because to have someone there for her was comforting. Her daughter thought too much, that was both good and bad but somehow, she did not think so much about it when she married Harvey and she wanted to knock her head for that. Now she met someone who seemed reliable, and she was hesitant about it. 

"That little girl of mine can be rather frustrating at times, right?" 

"No, Mrs Jung, she's not. I think I'm the frustrating one." Taeyeon laughed lightly. Mrs Jung smiled along. She knew how frustrating her daughter could get and maybe Taeyeon felt that way too when her daughter could not get a divorce. But actually, Taeyeon did not feel that way, maybe just a little but once she decided that she wanted to be with someone, she would stick to her choice until something tore her away from it, just like the last time. 

"I like you, Taeyeon. You seem like a really nice person."

"You're too kind, Mrs Jung, no one says that to me the first time they saw me." They always thought she was stern, scary and cold. 

"Then I must be wrong?" 

"I hope not." Taeyeon smiled. 

Mrs Jung smiled back and stood up. She was never wrong about the way she saw people. The first time she saw Harvey , she thought he would not be the one for her daughter and after her whole round, she was right. Now, when she saw Taeyeon, she had a good impression of her. Not that she was the one but maybe she could be and she was going to leave it to her daughter; having someone to wait was not exactly a nice thing to do.

"Sorry to bother you, Taeyeon. I should've come another time."

"Oh, don't be! I'm not really busy anyway."

Mrs Jung looked at the stack of files in front of Taeyeon and pointed to it. "Really?"

"I'm used to it already," Taeyeon replied, standing up and walking Mrs Jung out of her office.

Sunny looked at her through the windows of her office. "Who is she?" She mouthed. Taeyeon waved at her which she understood to be "I'll tell you later."  

Taeyeon walked Mrs Jung to the lobby and the latter told her she did not have to send her all the way down but she waited with her for the lift to come. 

Ding! The lift doors parted and Mrs Jung patted Taeyeon's arm. "It's really great to see you Taeyeon. I hope it won't be the last time?"

Mrs Jung was suggesting something and she could somehow catch it. "I hope it won't be either." 

Mrs Jung entered the lift and waved. She smiled and waved back. The lift door closed and she walked back to her office. It was an unexpected visit for her because she did not hear much about Jessica's parents from her. 

"Tae!" Sunny ran into office. "Who's that?"

"Jessica's mother."

"What?"

"Mmhm." Taeyeon spun the pen in her fingers and flipped through the documents.

"What did she say?"

"Nothing much..."

"You know what I think it is?" 

"What?"

"She's checking." Sunny crossed her arms in front of her chest and leant back against the chair, a sly smile on her face. 

"Checking me?"

"Checking you out."

"Checking me out?" Taeyeon's eyes widened. "I've never seen her before and why would she want to do that? I mean, of course she doesn't like me."

"Oh lord." Sunny slapped her forehead. "Kim Taeyeon, you can be so smart and so stupid at the same time. Obviously she doesn't like you but her daughter does!"

"Eh? Jessica?" 

"Took you long enough." Sunny rolled her eyes. "And Mrs Jung is probably here to check out her future daughter-in-law."

"What? I never said I want to marry her!" Taeyeon explained though she felt herself blushing.

"Mmhm, that totally explains the blush on your face." Sunny nodded. "Don't even bother saying it's makeup because I know you. You just put on BB cream and that's it, you lazy bum."

"Are you that carefree or do you need me to double your work load?" Taeyeon threatened as she pointed her pen to Sunny. 

Sunny stood up and narrowed her eyes at her friend. "Are you challenging me right now? Bring it on then!" And she left the office. Taeyeon grunted, "Lee Soonkyu, you watch out."

-

"Are you leaving the office yet?" Sunny poked her head in again. Taeyeon looked at the clock. It was almost nine and she did not realise it. It was just then she realised her eyes were sore and her back was aching. 

"Yeah," Taeyeon yawned. "Wait for me."

Sunny stood at the door and watched her friend as she tidied her desk and slotted the files into the correct shelves. Her friend was not very particular about tidiness but when it came to work stuff, it was a different story. Taeyeon took her bag and switched off the lights to her office. They walked out of the office and Taeyeon noticed that all the employees went home already. 

"Dinner?" Sunny asked.

"Mm, I'm starving." Taeyeon answered. 

They smiled to the security and said goodbye to him as they walked out of the building. Sunny nudged Taeyeon as soon as they were out. She pointed and Taeyeon looked towards the direction in which she was pointing to. Jessica was sitting on a bench near her car and sketching. Three days and she already missed seeing that beautiful face of hers.

"I guess I'll get going?" Sunny winked and hit Taeyeon's arms before walking away as quickly as possible.

Taeyeon looked at her friend running away and shook her head as she laughed. She walked towards Jessica and stood just close enough to see what she was doing. The street light was not exactly the brightest so Taeyeon could not see the sketch as clearly. She did not recall Jessica saying she would add another design to the show because the designs were basically finalised and were in the process of production for the show. Maybe it was her hobby to sketch? Then, as if she felt someone looking at her, Jessica looked up to see Taeyeon standing in front of her. She quickly closed her sketchbook and stood up.

"How long have you been standing there?"

"About a minute or so." Taeyeon looked at her phone for the time. "Why are you here?"

"You don't want to see me?" Jessica asked, looking a bit disappointed.

"No, no, just a bit surprised. How long have you been sitting here?"

"Uhm, not too long... About two hours or so, maybe three." Jessica tapped her wrist.

"Why would you do that?" Taeyeon asked, her eyes wide.

"Because I want to see you." Jessica smiled.

"You could have just called."

"That would spoil the surprise, wouldn't it?" Jessica asked, still smiling. "Did you miss me?"

"Ah?" Jessica could somehow always make her lose her focus.

"Ah, you don't miss me." Jessica said, nodding and walking off slowly.

Taeyeon was stunned for a moment and when she saw Jessica walking away, she quickly caught up with her but walking a few centimetres behind her and said softly, "I do miss you."

Even though it was soft, Jessica could hear it clearly. She smiled to herself. It was a relief to finally get everything out of the way and approach a new relationship. It was a relief to know Taeyeon had not given up on waiting for her. She felt sorry and now, it was time for her to show how she felt. She turned around and reached out to hold Taeyeon's wrist. She gently pulled her forward to get Taeyeon to walk beside her. "Didn't I say it before? That I don't like people walking behind me."

Of course Taeyeon remembered. It was that night where Taeyeon felt that she had gotten closer to Jessica and it was that night which she thought maybe she could have a chance, if she waited. Jessica held onto Taeyeon's left arm. It was almost like deja vu but this time, they were even closer to each other, both physically and emotionally. It was a bizzare feeling for Jessica but she liked it. "And I miss you too."

Taeyeon heard what Jessica said and turned to look at the person beside her. Did she just say she missed her? A smile broke out slowly on Taeyeon's face and she looked away, feeling her heart getting warmer on the rather cold night.

"Three days... Just thought I took some time to think through everything," Jessica said. "Three days... It was enough for you to stop waiting, right?"

"No," Taeyeon replied immediately. "Never occurred to me."

Jessica smiled shyly. "I am, uh, officially free."

"Hm?" Taeyeon answered with a query.

"Harvey and I divorced three days ago." 

"Oh" was all Taeyeon could manage. She did not know how to express her feelings at that moment because it was complicated. She was of course glad because that means she did not need to conceal her feelings any longer but at the same time, she was worried because she did not know how Jessica had been for the past three days.

"Oh?" Jessica asked with a laugh. "Is that all you can say, Taeyeon?"

"Uh, well, firstly, it come as a big thing for me, and of course, a big thing for you... and uh, secondly, are you coping well?"

Jessica laughed and looked weirdly at Taeyeon. "Are you writing an essay? What's with the firstly and secondly? Anyhow, I guess I am, it just feels a bit weird... and a pity to have ended a considerably long relationship with someone who I was deeply in love with. That's why... Three days."

"Three days enough for you? You should have let yourself be alone for at least a week."

"And risk letting you run away with some other person? No, I won't let that happen," Jessica said. Taeyeon, again, looked at Jessica, eyes wide. What did she mean by that? Sunny was right, she could be really stupid at times. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I, uh, nothing... That sounded... Perculiar. Well, a good perculiar," Taeyeon muttered and smiling to herself.

"My mom, uh, did you see her today?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah, I did. She came to my office today."

"Mm." Jessica nodded. "I know."

"You know and you didn't tell me?"

"Why should I tell you?"

"I was shocked!" Taeyeon exclaimed. That moment when she realised the Mrs Jung in front of her was Jessica's mother, she almost broke out in cold sweat. Like mother, like daughter, the both of them had such an aura that could throw everyone off their feet.

"Hm, really? That was not what my mom said though. She said you looked really calm." Jessica smiled at her.

"Well, she said it, I looked calm."

"But she likes you."

"Ah, thank you."

Jessica laughed again. "Don't thank me. Thank yourself. To have my mom say something good about you on the first meeting says a lot about you."

"Ah..." Taeyeon nodded, but not knowing the intention behind any of it. Then she suddenly realised that they had walked really far away from her car. She pulled away and started making her way back. "Oh lord, my car!"

Jessica smiled at how silly Taeyeon was and caught up with her. She held Taeyeon's hand and the latter stopped, looking at her frowning. She pulled her in the opposite direction, still holding on to her hand. "Let's just... walk, shall we?"

Taeyeon felt Jessica tightening her grip onto her hand and she looked down at their hands. It was the first time they ever held their hands together and strangely, it was not her who initiated it. Walking sounds good right now, she needed to take a break from driving and she mentally noted that driving was bad for the environment so she needed to stop driving whenever she could and now was a good time. She held Jessica's hand and they walked in silence, knowing that they were going to have dinner but neither of them knew where they were going. That was alright though, because anywhere would be just fine.