Chapter 9

Best Mistake

"Choi Sooyoung! Do you want to die?" Tiffany pounced on Sooyoung and wrapped her fingers around her neck, lightly shaking her back and forth. "I said it's just for the art exhibition!"

"Let go of me you murderer!" Sooyoung shrieked and pulled Tiffany away from her. "That's not what you said!"

Jessica looked at her two friends quizzically. She was surprised how these two got along in the same apartment and none of them broke their bones. They were both loud and authoritative, would not relent and would get at each other throats if they had a chance. Previously when she was still sharing the apartment with them, she had to pull them apart, risking being scratched by the both of them. On the one hand, she was glad she got out of this fighting arena but on the other hand, she missed staying with these idiots.

"Oh come on, Tiff. It's not like the first time you like someone right?" Jessica pulled Tiffany away and pushed her onto the chair beside Sooyoung. "And Yuri isn't too bad."

Sooyoung nodded in agreement. "I've only been there once and she seems like a really nice person. And you're single for all your life, Tiff. You need to find someone soon and get out of here."

Tiffany pounced at Sooyoung again but this time, Jessica held her down and she pointed her finger at Sooyoung's nose. "What do you mean by get out of her, Choi Sooyoung? If I were to leave, you have to do the laundry yourself. You'll have to buy your meals yourself. You'll have to clean this house yourself. You'll live here all by yourself, without me to grace your presence!"

"At least I will have some peace and quiet," Sooyoung grinned.

"I hate you!" Tiffany shouted and ran back to her room, slamming the door behind her. Jessica looked at Sooyoung who turned back to look at her. They looked at each other for a second before bursting out in laughter. Though they were turning 30 soon, they could be so childish at times. They had nothing to had from one another, though it could be embarrassing at times, the secret would not last long anyway. "You wouldn't want her leave, do you?"

"Of course not, why would I chase my free maid away?" Sooyoung smiled cheekly. "On a more serious note, yeah, I wouldn't want her to leave. She has been going to Yori quite often though, and leaving me alone here."

"I guess she really likes Yuri, huh?"

"You have no idea. She won't shut up about her." Sooyoung rolled her eyes as she put the tub of ice cream back ot the freezer. Tiffany would come home everyday, show her the sketches and go on to talk about how attractive Yuri was. "She's like Yuri's number one fangirl."

"You can't blame her, Soo," Jessica laughed. "You know how Tiff gets excited when she sees someone with such nice, distinct features. Inspirational level."

"Tell me more about it," Sooyoung said. Jessica followed her to the living room and sank down into the black bean bag sofa. Discovery Channel was on and Jessica saw sketches of animal lying around on the floor. Her friends derived inspirations from the weirdest sources but she could not deny the fact that they are amazing. To afford a penthouse in such a high-class place was not an easy task and they did it four years ago.

"Are you going to watch that channel until you're done with your idea sketch?" Jessica gave a side glance at Sooyoung who was jabbing her sketch with her paint brush.

"Mm? Do you want to watch drama? You can switch you know. It's your home, do whatever you want," Sooyoung replied without looking up. "Jessica?"

"What?" Jessica switched the channels randomly. None of the shows caught her eye and she finally settled for the new show, "My Lovely Girl".

"What's really happening between you and Harvey?" Sooyoung slid her paint brush behind her ear and gathered all the pieces of paper around her. "We don't see each other often now but when things happen, we know, Jess."

Jessica lied down on Sooyoung's lap and closed her eyes. What was happening between them? "I don't know."

Sooyoung smoothed Jessica's hair and poked Jessica's cheek. "If you don't know what's happening, how are things going to get better?"

"What if it's true?" Jessica whispered. She did not have the courage to say it out loud.

"What is true?"

"Harvey having another woman," Jessica's voice softened even more.

"That's only for you to find out, Jess." Sooyoung patted her friend's stomach. "Do you still remember how Tiff and I objected to your marriage?"

Jessica searched her mind for the memory and she smiled instantly when she thought of it. She called Sooyoung and Tiffany immediately after Harvey's proposal and the two of them rushed down to where the two of them were and started kicking and hitting Harvey. It drew a lot of attention because they were screaming something like "How dare you steal our Jessica away?", "You didn't even ask our permission!" and "You don't deserve Jessica!". She pulled them away and Harvey quickly scurried to hide behind Jessica. "You coward!" Sooyoung rolled up her sleeves and shouted. "If you want to marry Jessica, you need to pass our test, get it? Come out!" It ended with Harvey having a horrific memory about them and whenever he saw them, he would be standing at least three metres away.

"Of course I remember, you guys scarred him for life!"

Sooyoung laughed wickedly for a few seconds and reverted back to her serious self, looking at Jessica with concern in her eyes. "There's a reason why we didn't like him, Jess. We figured that we shouldn't tell you because... Well, you were happy with him. And at least he promised us to take good care of you. But seeing how that person is always not around now, I think we should tell you the reason."

Jessica sat up straight. She had a feeling it would be something she did not want to know but she listened anyway.

"Tiff and I were at the airport one day to send off a client and we saw Harvey coming out of the departure hall," Sooyoung paused and looked at Jessica warily. "He was with this air stewardess and he had his arm around her."

Jessica's heart sank, she knew she should not have let Harvey continue his job. She should have insisted on him to help her out at her company. She knew very well how popular her husband was with other female colleagues. For that moment, she felt betrayed, by her friends and her husband. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"We thought they were just friends. I mean, friends do that, right? Putting arm around the shoulders."

"But he had his arms around a girl!" Jessica shouted. Tiffany heard the shout and came out of her room. Sooyoung looked at her for help and Tiffany sat down beside Jessica, sandwiching her between herself and Sooyoung.

"We had too much faith in him," Tiffany hugged her friend and patted her back. Jessica was breathing really heavily as she tried to process the information. This happened years ago. What were the chances of it happening again? "And who knows, maybe it's just us. You know we don't like him right? So you can just not take us seriously right? Right, Sooyoung"

Tiffany gave Sooyoung a nudge and the latter nodded her head quickly. "Right, it's just us letting our imagination run wild. I think we're both tired from drawing the whole day."

"No," Jessica said softly. She pulled away from Tiffany and looked down at the ring. "I have my suspicion too."

"You what?" Sooyoung and Tiffany asked simultaneously.

Jessica sighed and leaned her head against the wall behind them. "While we were dating, he mentioned that he has a close female friend. I saw a few times and the glances she gave him were... worrying. I talked to him about it and he just brushed it off saying that there was nothing going on between them and they have been friends since high school."

Sooyoung and Tiffany looked at Jessica in disbelief. "Now, why didn't you tell us about this?"

Jessica brushed her hair back and it fell messily over her face. She smiled bitterly and said, "Because I really loved him. If I were to tell you, you would have gone up to him and given him punches. After our marriage, things were fine for the first two years, he spent time with me and went out with me. Things started to turn downhill at the start of this year. I didn't even notice it for the few months until I realised it in May. I try not to think so much about it and convince myself that he is still mine, don't worry. But recently, I'm really tired. It's always one-sided, with me putting in effort to talk to him and everything... And you two. When I called you, Choi Sooyoung, you always say you're busy. And you, Tiffany Hwang, you too and what? You're at the cake shop admiring your Greek Goddess!"

"Man, I didn't know you had so much going on, I'm sorry, we stink as your best friend, come here, we'll give you a hug." Tiffany and Sooyoung enveloped Jessica and the three of them stayed in that position for a minute. "We'll be there as soon as possible whenever you call. From now on. We promise."

"I'm not blaming you guys... I just feel... frustrated."

"You can try telling Taeyeon that..." Tiffany suggested. "Taeyeon seems like a good listener, though I've only seen her for a brief minute. From what I've heard from Yuri and Sunny at the shop, Taeyeon is a very capable woman too."

"You eavedropped on their conversation?" Jessica asked in disbelief.

"Well, in my defense, I didn't. They were talking rather loudly." Tiffany explained. "The thing is, if we're really busy, you can call Taeyeon."

"I did... I was having dinner with her earlier this evening but it was so... awkward." Jessica said. The dinner was so awkward that she thought the food was going to come out from her nose.

"She does look like the type to be really awkward." Tiffany nodded in agreement. "But maybe the more you call her out, the less awkward it'll be. And didn't you say you were working on a project with her? Since, you'll be seeing each other often, why not start getting used to seeing one another."

"It wasn't that awkward before this evening though," Jessica sighed. "She was avoiding me."

"Eh?" Tiffany raised an eyebrow and glanced at Sooyoung who pursed her lip together. The both of them narrowed their eyes and looked at each other knowingly. Could it be?

Just as they were about to ask Jessica a question, her phone rang. Jessica pulled out her phone from behind and looked at the caller ID. She frowned. Harvey was calling. That was new. "Hello?"

"Put it on loud speaker. Loud speaker." Tiffany said in a hushed voice as she knew who was calling. Jessica pressed the speaker button and Harvey's voice boomed in the room.

"Jess, where are you?"

"I'm at Tiffany and Sooyoung's, why?"

"Oh, I'm at home now and I didn't see you so I was worried."

"I thought you said he's flying?" Sooyoung whispered.

"I thought he was too," Jessica whispered back, holding the phone far away.

"Jessica?" Harvey asked. "Are you there?"

"Yeah, uh, do you want me to go home now?"

"Ah, no no, it's alright. Uhm, I'm just checking on you to make sure you're fine. Uh, you can stay with your friends for the night. I'll take care of myself. I'm going bathe now, good night baby, love you." 

"You too," Jessica replied and the line went dead.

Tiffany and Sooyoung looked at her and made a face, "He's so disgusting."

"Guys..."

"You two are totally not a married couple. You don't even know each other's schedules!"

"We give each other some personal space."

"I think you gave him too much."

Jessica kept mum. What was she supposed to say? It seemed like fate was playing with the both of them though. When Jessica was at home, Harvey would be out. When Harvey was at home, she would be out. Then her phone rang again, this time signalling a text message. She looked at the sender. Taeyeon. "Good night," she texted. She smiled unconsciously and quickly typed a reply. Tiffany and Sooyoung were looking at her friend's reaction the whole time and they glanced at each other again. Maybe this whole thing was not as simple as it seemed.

-

A/N: Another update! Just an insight to the relationship between the three friends, and a little hint to the direction in which the story is heading to.