Chapter 22

Best Mistake

Jessica entered the cafe where Harvey proposed to her. He called her around five in the evening, telling her to meet him there and he would be waiting for her. She was about to call him to meet up too and was prepared to press on for the divorce with him. The layout of the cafe did not change much since the day he proposed and Harvey was sitting at the same spot where he had gotten down on his knees. She sat down in front of him with a cup of Americano placed in front of her. 

"I hope you still drink Americano," Harvey said, uncertain of himself. He was away from Jessica for quite a while and he did not even put in an effort to notice the details in her life. 

"Thank you, I still do." Jessica stirred the Americano. She could not remember the last time they sat down properly over a cup of coffee. 

"I, uh, didn't know you would be there in the afternoon. Did you hear everything?"

Jessica nodded. She heard everything, from the start to the end. She heard Harvey saying how much he regretted what he had done. She heard Taeyeon telling Harvey her feelings. 

"Then I don't think I've to say more right?" Harvey smiled sadly. For the whole month, he tried to get Jessica back. He tried to treat her even better but it was no use. Everything was too late, the damage was done and it evidently broke his wife's heart. He held on to the belief that maybe if he treat her better, she would forgive him but after hearing what Taeyeon had said, he realised his love for Jessica was not as strong as before, and for the whole afternoon, he thought that maybe the love in their relationship had slipped away so slowly that they did not even notice. He was the one who quickened the process of falling out of love and nothing much could be done to salvage a love that had fissures in it. It became clear to him and maybe, it was about time he let go and end the misery of their marriage. He took out the new divorce application form he picked up earlier in the afternoon. The one Jessica gave was crumpled by him and he felt sorry for what he had said back then. "I filled in the details for you, you'll just have to sign it."

Jessica looked at the fresh piece of form and then at Harvey. There was a mixture of emotions on his face. There was remorse and sadness but Jessica noticed the way he looked at her was just like the way he looked at her previously as if nothing had happened. However, they both knew that was not true. She took the pen and signed on the form and laid the pen down. She looked at the two signatures on the paper. She never thought that marriage would be that fragile; it could be easily broken just by an incidental swing. 

"Let's go and hand this in." 

They left the cafe and Jessica could not help but look at where they had sat. Harvey too. He wanted to end it the way they started, and he was sure Jessica wanted to do that too when she picked the cafe to hand him the divorce form. 

They submitted the required documents and the moment they stepped out, they were free. Harvey was a few steps ahead of Jessica and she looked at his back. It was weird knowing that the person whom you had lived together with for years would no longer be the one beside you from that moment on, but she knew she could get used to it sooner or later. It was a pity they could not go on because the both of them did not fulfil the promise they had given from the start. Love was not present anymore, and they could not go on just for the sake of it. 

Harvey turned around and looked at Jessica. The person he called his wife for years was no longer his and that caused a dull pain in his chest but who could he really blame? She had a person who loved her waiting for her and he felt happy for her. He did not realise how much he had actually loved her and it was lust that blurred his judgement; always complaining that Jessica could not give him what he wanted but in reality, it was him who was the flawed one. 

"How did that feel?" He asked. 

"Weird," Jessica answered. "But I'm sure we can get used to that." 

Harvey smiled and nodded slowly. "I didn't give you the happiness I promised and I hope after this, you'll be happy. I'm sure Taeyeon can care for you more than me. And I'm really sorry. I know no matter how many times I've said it, it'll not be enough."

"Everyone makes mistakes, Harv. You need them to learn and to be better."

"Sometimes I wish you'll slap and hit me because maybe I'll wake up earlier."

Jessica laughed. "Sometimes I wish I have the ability to do that too so I don't bottle everything in."

Harvey pursed his lips and sighed. He was such an incompetent husband and if he were to go back in time, he would have slapped himself so he would not make the same mistake again. 

"I'll be going now," Harvey said. He took a step down but he seemed to be hesitating. If he knew letting go and saying goodbye would be so difficult, he would not have given himself a chance to do so in the first place. 

Jessica waved and he smiled at her, turning around to leave. He drove off and Jessica's eyes followed his car until it disappeared.

"Hello, mom?" Jessica called her mother. "Have you eaten dinner? No? Great, can you pick me up? I just submitted my divorce form. Yes, with Harvey. He went off. Okay, I'll see you later. Bye."

Her mother came a while later with her father in the front passenger seat. She took the back seats and they started to bombard her with questions. That was the thing with her parents, they talked non-stop. She laughed the questions off and summarised, "He agreed to divorce and we just signed the form." 

"So what are your plans now?" Her mother asked.

"What other plans can I have, mom? The company is my priority." 

"Your mom meant, "Are you considering another relationship?"" Her father added on. 

Jessica thought of Taeyeon. From the start, the latter had been so nice to her and she knew very clearly how Taeyeon felt towards her and she was quite certain she had that feelings towards her too. Maybe she should give it a try, take it slowly and not give her parents heart attacks. But most importantly, she wanted to make Taeyeon happy the way she did when she was troubled. 

-

"He agreed to the divorce?" Sooyoung slammed her chopsticks on the dining table. "Finally!"

"He was so adamant to get you back, why the sudden change?" Tiffany asked, taking sips of her soup. 

"He went to Taeyeon's office to tell her to get away from me but somehow the whole conversation changed his mind." 

"Oh? What did Taeyeon say?" Sooyoung asked, slurping on her noodles. Tiffany hit her arm and she looked angrily at the former. "Why did you do that?" 

"Don't speak while you're eating noodles! You're getting the soup and saliva on me!" Tiffany scolded. Sooyoung rolled her eyes at her friend and continued eating. 

"She uh, kind of told him her feelings towards me."

"And you heard it?" Tiffany asked. 

"Yeah, I did." 

"Usually, I hate people who eavesdrop but that'll be an exception. It's about time you really know how she feels," Sooyoung said. "Have you told her you've gotten a divorce?"

"I'll tell her tomorrow." 

"You mean you haven't told her yet?" 

"I'll just take it slowly." 

"You really do know how to test someone's patience, Jess." Tiffany chuckled and shook her head. But she agreed to taking it slowly. 

"Has Yuri told you about the story between the two of them and the woman?" Jessica asked.

"What story? Who? What woman?" Sooyoung's eyes shone. Gossip! 

"Yeah, she told me." Tiffany scooped up through last bit of soup. "I couldn't believe it at all, I mean who could have thought?"

Jessica nodded in agreement. It was difficult to think that Yuri and Taeyeon had such a story to them.

"Uhm, I'm sorry but I feel completely left out here? I don't have a girlfriend or boyfriend but that doesn't mean you two can isolate me alright? We're supposed to be together." Sooyoung pointed the chopsticks at the three of them. 

Tiffany rolled her eyes and shoved her bowl and spoon to Sooyoung. She got up and left for the living room. "Then get one yourself."

Sooyoung stared at her friend in disbelief. They were supposed to have an art exhibition together yet she had to do all the work by herself because the other person apparently found a girlfriend and totally forgot that their exhibition would be due in two months. 

"Jess..." Sooyoung looked at Jessica, putting on her pitiful expression. "Tiffany's being mean." 

Jessica reached out and swept Sooyoung's bangs away from her eyes. "There, there. Tiffany's just being a silly old grumpy lady, alright?"

"I heard that!" Tiffany shouted from the living room.