Chapter 16

Best Mistake

The next day, Jessica went to pick up the divorce application form. It surprised her how she had come to her decision so quickly. Before their relationship even had problems, she had thought of many what ifs. What if Harvey did not love her anymore? What if he cheated? What if they were to divorce? Sadly, they came true. She thought she would not be able to let go. She thought she would hold on but now, her ability to let go so quickly came to her as a surprise. There was a fleeting thought of holding on to Harvey; maybe they could pretend that nothing had happened and moved on (since she did not see them together) but what was the point of doing that? Acting like nothing happened when it actually did would only deepen the gorge between them, adding on to that, burn the bridge that connected them. 

After avoiding him for a day, Jessica finally decided to call him. He left 72 missed calls, ironically, more than the calls he made that year before the revelation. "Hello?"

"Hello? Jess? Is that you?" He sounded tired. 

"Yeah, it's me. Can me meet?"

"Yes, I mean, of course, uh I'm home."

"No, I'm not going back," Jessica said. "Let's meet at the cafe. That one where you proposed to me. Do you remember?"

There was a short silence at the other end of the line before Harvey managed a weak "yes".

"I'll see you at lunch?"

Harvey agreed without saying much more. When Jessica heard his voice, she felt sorry. But after putting her through his deceit, Jessica felt frustrated and she felt like he deserved it. The cafe was not too far away and Jessica went there first. That day was their anniversary and they went to the cafe after their dinner. She could still remember how it was like that day. There was not many people in the cafe, and they were just sitting by the window, not wanting the day to end. They were talking about their hopes and dreams, and Jessica jokingly said, "Expanding my company and being your wife." 

"Really? Then today must be your lucky day," Harvey said, smiling brightly. For a moment, Jessica did not register what he just said and looked at him weirdly. He took out a velveted box and put in front of him. With two hands, he opened the box to reveal a dazzling diamond ring. Jessica stared at it, not knowing how to react. Though she said it in a joking manner, she did not exactly meant it jokingly. She did have the hope of being his wife but she did not expect him to propose then, maybe another year or so. Harvey looked at her and knelt down beside the table. Jessica was glad that there was not many people at the cafe to look at them them. 

"Jessica Jung, do I, Harvey Lee who is still lacking in many things, have the honour of holding your hand for the rest of my life?" 

It was not the romantic proposal she dreamt of but nevertheless, there was tears in her eyes. Of course, she said yes. That time, she did believe in forever foolishly but now, forever seemed like the least probable thing that will happen. This cafe brought back many memories. Memories she wanted to hold on and memories she wanted to let go. 

She saw Harvey walking in to the cafe, and she sighed. It was a sweet six years with him and there was a part of her not wanting it to end. Harvey walked towards her, evidently exhausted. Still handsome but in a day, he lost his charm.

"Hey, Jess. How are you?" Harvey tried to make a small talk but that was definitely not something he should ask his wife who he had cheated on. 

"I'm fine, you?" That was a really stupid question, Harvey Lee.

"Could not be worse off than you..." Harvey said quietly as he shifted in his seat.

"I ordered black coffee for you, you didn't change your taste right?" Jessica said a little bitingly.  

Harvey caught the underlying meaning in Jessica's question and a pang of guilt hit him. "Jess, can you let me explain?"

Letting him explain would be hearing him defending himself for committing adultery but it did not matter anymore actually. She nodded. She wanted to hear what was his reason for turning away. 

"I was having some problems with my job and I was overseas. One time Emma was there and she noticed I have some difficulties so she... you know she was my friend since high school and... for that period of time, she kept me company and... that time we got so drunk I don't even know what happened anymore and we just... I'm sorry Jess, I don't know what has gotten into me. I... I still love you, Jess, really, please trust me."

Jessica heard herself laughing. For what reason, she was not too clear either but at that moment, Harvey looked so desperate. She expected him to say all those things just to make himself look better but really, it just made him seem like a clown. 

"Harvey, really, it's alright, you don't have to force yourself to say something you don't mean anymore." Jessica laughed. "All these years, I've seen how close you are to Emma. To be honest, sometimes I feel like she is your girl, not me."

"Not, Jess, it was my mistake. All mine. I'm sorry, please give me another chance."

Jessica shook her head. "What's the use Harvey? Ask yourself what you really want."

"You. You are the one who I want." 

"But your affair tells me otherwise."

"That was just..." Harvey said frustrated. "It was a moment of temptation. I can't. I don't have the power to do anything."

"Hear yourself out Harvey, hear yourself. Do you make any sense at all?" Jessica was annoyed. That was a ridiculous reason. 

"What do you want me to do? I can quit my job and work with you. I can do that."

"You don't have to do that, Harvey. The last time you rejected this idea, I have no intention of asking you again. Actually, I've other things to tell you today." Jessica took out the form from her bag and put it in front of Harvey. She filled it in just now while waiting for him. He looked at the form and it hit him. 

"No. No, I'm not going to do that." 

"Harvey..." Jessica sighed. "Even if I give you another chance, my parents, Sooyoung and Tiffany... they won't forgive you."

"I don't need other people's forgiveness. You. Just you."

She shook her head again. "Maybe I could, but not now. Not when I waited for you to come home and you're outside, spending time with another woman." 

Harvey held the form in his hand and crumpled the side. It was just one time, one time he was caught and they were getting a divorce. "Why are you in a haste to get rid of me?"

"Wha-"

"Is it because you have someone else too?" Harvey cut her off and smiled dangerously at her. Jessica looked at him in disbelief. Did he just accuse her of the same crime he committed? Did he really just redirected the fault to her? 

"Excuse me?"

"I mean, you could have possibly met someone while I was away. It was just a convenient time to get a divorce."

Jessica glared at him, feeling very insulted. She was resisting the urge to slap him because it would not look nice on any of them. She was insulted because he just brought her down to the same level as him, disgusting and despicable. Just because he had no more reason to cook up, he decided to blame her. She never knew he had such a side to him and it just proved to her again that she was blinded. 

"You're really pathetic, Harvey, to even think I would be on the same level as you." Jessica smiled coldly. "Sorry to disappoint you but I don't have any one. Maybe I should say yes to make you feel better? I'm in no rush to get a divorce actually but after what you've just said, I hope we end this quickly. I'll leave the form with you. If you tear it, I'll give you a new one. For seven years, I've been blinded by my love for you. But now, I'm regretting I even closed an eye on you and Emma."

Jessica stood up and gave a long stare at Harvey who was quiet. Why did he even make that comment? He was just too desperate, too desperate that he tried to blame it on her. That was a stupid move. A really stupid move. "Don't make me say I regret marrying you, Harvey, because right now, I don't." 

With that, Jessica left the cafe, leaving Harvey sitting at the table alone, holding the divorce application. He really did not want to lose Jessica. If he did, he would not have anyone anymore. 

"Can I ask you something?" Tiffany leaned against the counter. Yoris' business was moving slow that afternoon and Tiffany took the opportunity to talk to Yuri. 

"Go head." Yuri said as she arranged the cakes in the display. She dared not talk to Tiffany face to face because she would blush really easily. 

"Does Taeyeon like Jessica?" 

"Huh? Ow!" Yuri raised her head and knocked it against the side of the display. She rubbed the back of her head and hissed. What was with the sudden question? "What's your question again?"

"Taeyeon likes Jessica?"

Yuri was still rubbing her head and she sat behind the counter. She could not give Taeyeon away because if she did, Jessica would definitely know. She hesitated and for this short period of silence, Tiffany could tell Yuri was trying to come up with an answer to avoid her question. 

"Don't be so troubled, Yuri. We already know." Tiffany leaned forward, resting her chin on her fists. 

"What? How did you know?" Yuri asked loudly. The wind bell chimed and a customer walked in. Yuri immediately stood straight and gave her sweet smile. 

"Welcome to Yoris!" She motioned Tiffany to move away and the latter did as she was told while rolling her eyes. The customer thanked her and stood in front of the display, picking the cakes. Yuri packed them up and thanked the customer. "Thank you, please come again!"

All this while Tiffany sat at the table beside the counter, watching Yuri's every move. When she was working, she looked the hottest. She smiled unconsciously and leaned back against the wall, still looking at Yuri sending the customer off. "I've never seen you use that tone on me before."

Yuri looked at her and gulped. Why was she doing that to her? "Uh, I did! You uh, left before I could even say that."

"Really?" Tiffany grinned. "Why is your face so red?"

Yuri's hand flew up to her face and felt around. Her face was slightly hot. She sat down behind the counter and pretended to look at her accounts. "No, it wasn't. It's uh, must be the weather." She started fanning herself and Tiffany laughed lightly. She stood up again and walked towards the counter again. She leaned against the glass display this time and smiled seductively.

"I need someone to be my model, for my painting." 

Yuri's head shot up and stared at her with wide eyes. "Wha- why are you looking at me this?"

Tiffany broke out into laughter as she saw Yuri panicking. The latter was usually composed when it came to other things but when it came to Tiffany, she would always lose her composure. "Relax, I'm not asking you to be like Rose in Titanic. But if you want, I would never oppose to it."

"What are you saying?" Yuri exclaimed, flustered as she stood up and walked about on the spot. 

"You know, you're really cute," Tiffany said, admiring Yuri as she sat down again. "I'm just joking. I'm just telling you that you're going to be featured in my painting. Just in case you wouldn't like it later."

Yuri sat down again, her face burning up. She disliked Tiffany. She disliked her for having that effect on her and she was the older one! She pouted slightly as she flipped through the pages of the accounts book hardly. 

"Yuri?" 

"What?" Yuri answered with a bit of grudge against Tiffany.

"If I ask you to go out with me, will you?" Tiffany asked seriously.

"Is this some kind of joke again?" Yuri tapped her pencil against the book, not believing Tiffany. 

"No, I'm serious. I've never been so serious in my life before." 

Yuri looked at Tiffany's face for any trace of joking around but she saw none. Tiffany's gaze was piercing but hopeful and sincere. She was not joking? She knew Tiffany had a thing for her and she did too but she was too shy to even ask. She smiled and for the first time, she kept her composure. 

"I really hate you, you know?"

Tiffany smiled for she saw Yuri's first proper smile directed at her. "I know." 

-

A/N: update! This will be the last update before I go on a short break. It has been a good week for me, to have updated the foundation of the story. I hope you all like the story so far :)