Chapter 4

Best Mistake

Jessica leaned against the sofa, the files on her lap. She had been reading these documents for almost three hours since six in the evening and she had registered nothing. Nothing! Whenever she tried to read the files, Taeyeon's face would flash through her mind. Those eyes with a tad of hostility. It bothered her but she could not put a reason to why she felt that way. She rubbed her temples with her index fingers, chasing the thoughts out of her mind.

The lock to the apartment turned and Jessica snapped her head towards the door. It opened slowly and a luggage appeared in the doorway. A smile rose on Jessica's face. She tossed the files aside and skipped to the door.

Harvey stepped into the apartment and smiled when Jessica came over to give him a hug. "Hey baby."

"I missed you," Jessica mumbled as she nudged her head against the crook of Harvey's neck.

"Hm, me too." Harvey pressed a kiss on Jessica's head. "I brought you a gift."

"Really?" Jessica pushed the luggage into the room with Harvey following closely behind her. That was one thing Harvey would say to her: I brought you a gift, and he would dig out a box containing either a necklace or earrings from the bottom of his bag. Jessica eyed Harvey who was beside her, digging into his bag as predicted. It was almost like a routine everytime when he returned home. She could not remember when things had gotten so predictable and when did she start feigning surprise at the gifts.

"There!" Harvey put a beautifully wrapped rectangular box in front of her. Jessica smiled, a bit sadly, but Harvey did not realise it. She could already guess what was inside the box.

"It's beautiful, thank you." Jessica put the box aside and picked up the files that were lying around on the sofa.

"But you haven't seen it yet." Harvey was a bit bewildered by Jessica's actions. She did not even bother unwrapping the gift, yet she said it was beautiful. Were the files more interesting that his gift?

Jessica sighed and flipped throught the files absentmindedly. "It's another necklace isn't, it?"

Harvey found himself speechless. Jessica was right. It was a necklace. A simple 'yes' would do but he could not even manage it. He felt guilty.

"I already have so many necklaces and earrings, Harv, I don't need another," Jessica said softly while she stared at the irrelevant words on the documents. "I just need you to be beside me. I don't know when it started... Like when did you stop spending time with me? I don't even know anymore."

Harvey closed his eyes. He was expecting this someday but he did not expect it so soon. He was conscious about his absence from Jessica's life but he had his job to do and that entailed him to leave her. He could not possibly say no, considering the fact that it might give him a promotion real soon. "Jess, I'm a pilot."

"Wow, thanks for reminding me, Captain Obvious." Jessica laughed coldly.

"Oh, come on, don't be sarcastic with me. You know I'm working towards the promotion right?"

"I see you value your promotion more than me."

"Jess, you're being unreasonable right now."

"Oh, I'm unreasonable now? I was left alone at home because you're not at home, Harvey Lee. I'm your wife. It's unreasonable for me to want you to pay more attention and spend more time with me?" Jessica raised her voice. She gathered the files and stood up to leave for the bedroom.

"For goodness sake, Jessica, I'm a pilot. I have to travel around the world, that's my job!" Harvey followed Jessica and grabbed onto her right wrist. "Hey, look at me."

"Let go, Harvey, I'm tired." Jessica turned away but Harvey held onto her wrist firmly, pulling her towards him.

"Jess, I'm doing this for us."

"For us?" Jessica turned around swiftly, looking into Harvey's eyes. His eyes darted to the left the moment they met hers and she looked away. "Harv, I have my own company. You don't have to feel the need to give me material goods. I can afford them myself. I just want you to spend time with me that's all. Didn't you say that before? That you'll be with me whenever you can? What happened? You're always away."

Harvey took Jessica's hands in both of his hands and looked down at them. He grazed the diamond ring on Jessica's finger and sighed inaudibly. "I know. I'm sorry. I just, you know, the promotion."

"I know," Jessica touched his cheeks. "I know you want me to be happy, but not that way, Harv, not by buying me gifts or anything."

Harvey pulled Jessica into a hug and leaned his head against her left shoulder. "Sorry for not being an understanding husband."

Jessica giggled softly and hit his head lightly. "Silly, we all have our moments. You must be tired, take a shower and go to sleep. I'll unpack your luggage." 

"Thanks baby," Harvey kissed her cheek and turned into the room.

Jessica looked at the ring on her finger. A beautiful diamond ring. A ring with promises made to her. Forever, he said. He will love her forever. Foolishly, she believed, but after seeing the people around her falling out of love and marriage, she knew nothing last forever. Little did she know, this problem had already been creeping upon them. The man who she loved deeply suddenly seemed so far away and out of focus from her.

-

"I'm home," Yuri called out.

"Welcome home," Taeyeon ran over and almost tackled Yuri down. "I miss you!"

"Get off me, you koala, you just saw me hours ago."

"But it seems like days," Taeyeon clung onto Yuri who was a little worried for Taeyeon who had just appeared like she was almost to pass on that afternoon. 

"Get off me and what do you want? I know when you want something from me."

After hearing what Yuri had said, Taeyeon released her grip and sauntered back to the sofa in the living room. For the whole time she was at home, Jessica never left her mind. It was her mistake for not knowing more about Jessica before falling for her. Yes, she came to a conclusion that maybe- no, she had fallen for her. She never expected herself to fall for a woman, but that was love. Love never asked for anyone's permission. Love just knocked on the door of the heart and barged in. If you were lucky, he would leave after a while, but if you were not, he would be there to stay. And that was just the case for her. Jessica came in the form of love, kicked open the door to her heart and stayed.

"It's something to do with Jessica, isn't it?" Yuri sat down beside Taeyeon, putting a leg on the latter.

Taeyeon placed her hand on Yuri's leg. It was nice to have someone who knew you well but at the same time, it was annoying because they always seemed to know what was on your mind.

"I don't think I can stop loving her."

Yuri frowned. That was the worst she had expected and it came true. But if Taeyeon could tell her thus certainly, that meant she had thought it out. "But Taeyeon..."

"I know, she's married. The moment when the ring almost blinded me, I knew," Taeyeon unconsciously rubbed her eye. Thinking about it still hurt her eye. "But at least I know she's married." 

Yuri knew perfectly well what Taeyeon was referring to and unknowingly, anger rushed to her. "That disgusting rat..."

"Yuri, it's long over," Taeyeon said softly, patting Yuri's leg. A few years ago, she fell for a man. A married man. She did not know. And the man did not tell. It was almost as if like it was a setup. A few years later, she fell for another. A woman this time. A married woman. When she knew Jessica was married, it was almost like deja vu. No wonder her heart hurt so much. 

"If he crosses my path, he's going to die." 

"I'll trust you on that."

"So what are you going to do about Jessica?"

"I don't know, honestly. I guess... I'll just... act as if nothing has happened and keep my distance at the same time. I have a project to run and I'll keep it professional."

"You sure you will?" Yuri lied down against the arm rest of the sofa and placed both her legs on Taeyeon's laps. 

"That's why I need you to help me. Keep me in check. Take it as a make up for your lack of advice a few years ago."

"Oh please, Kim Taeyeon, I didn't even know you were in that disgusting relationship. If I knew, I would have dragged you out of it, on your face if I have to." 

"I know I can always count on you." Taeyeon lied down beside Yuri and hugged her.

"Oh my goodness, don't do that." Yuri pushed Taeyeon away and got up. "I'll help you but ultimately, you have to know what you're doing. I was hoping you break off any relationship with her but since it has something to do with K.EMP... I guess you know what's best for you, and the company of course."

Taeyeon sighed and nodded. Love would be there to stay and no point trying to push it aside and ignore it because that would be even more torturous. 

"Remember Tae, I want you to be happy." 

Honestly, she already forgot how happiness felt like since the day her mother left.