Prologue

Best Mistake

"Harvey Lee, do you pledge to love Jessica Jung and throughout your years together to be honest, faithful, and kind to her? Do you pledge to give to her the same happiness she gives to you, and to respect her for who she is, not who you want her to be?"

"I do," Harvey smiled, looking lovingly at the beautiful woman in front of him. One year ago, he proposed to her and thankfully, she said yes. That was one of the best days of his life and right now, standing with his beloved, hand in hand, saying his vow, was another day to be remembered.

"Jessica Jung, do you pledge to love Harvey Lee and throughout your years together to be honest, faithful, and kind to him? Do you pledge to give to him the same happiness he gives to you, and to respect him for who he is, not who you want him to be?"

Jessica raised his head, looking at him through tears in her eyes. She was 21 when she met him four years ago in London where she was still studying. Tall, handsome and with a neat hair cut, he was difficult to miss, and of course, in a foreign country, it was always nice to have someone from the same hometown. He was four years older than her and just starting out to be a pilot. Four years later, she had her own company and he was still a pilot. He proposed and she agreed. However, this day did not come as easily as she thought it would be. Her mother was reluctant to agree to their marriage, saying he was too good looking and since he would be flying around the globe, there might be a chance of him running away. Upon hearing this, Jessica dismissed it with a laugh. She was not bad looking too, why would she be afraid of her husband running away with other women, or men? Eventually, her mother agreed but was still rather cold to Harvey. "I do."

"You may now exchange the rings."

The two exchanged the rings, with their eyes fixated on each other, unwilling to look away. Jessica's mother pressed her lips together, forcing in the tears that threatened to fall. As much as she had no faith in the man her daughter was going to marry, she saw the care and concern he had towards Jessica. To her, the most important thing was for her daughter to be happy, that was all she asked for. She brushed away tear that disobediently fell and her husband held her other hand tightly and nodded. "Our daughter is really beautiful today."

"Sure she is," she looked over to Jessica in the simple yet elegant wedding dress and smiled proudly.

"These rings represent the vows and promises you’ve willingly exchanged. They reflect the commitment those words inspire and all your hopes and dreams for the future. You may now kiss the bride."

The couple smiled shyly and brought their lips together for a light but sweet kiss. Jessica looked forward to the blissful years ahead and Harvey promised to take care of his wife whole-heartedly. Children? That would be a bonus, considering that they were always busy with their careers.

Three years after they tied the knot, nothing much changed, except for the visions they had. Jessica was looking forward to expand her fashion label and Harvey was working towards the goal of becoming an airline pilot. Naturally, the time they had for each other was shorter and the only time they get to see each other was probably in the morning when they were rushing off to work, or at night, when one of them was asleep.

To others, they still seemed like a loving couple. Very compatible, perfect and sweet. Jessica felt otherwise, she felt the irony in the words she vowed to a few years ago but she still loved him dearly, yearning for his attention and love. Though she was busy too, she still had time to stay at home and wait for him to come back, but Harvey had to travel around the world. As much as she liked to be seen as a strong and independent woman, it was easy to suscept to the loneliness manifested in the large, empty house.

Was it wrong for her to want someone to care for her? Was it wrong for her to feel this way?

It was another day at home. As usual, she was alone after a long day at the company. Harvey had flown to LA that morning and she did not know if he had reached safely or not. No calls, no messages. How typical of him, gone like the wind. She smiled bitterly and placed her phone of the coffee table in front of her. She took the remote control beside her phone and switched on the television. She switched to the movie channel and left it there. She was not interested in the show, she just needed some sound in the house. Too quiet a surrounding made her terribly frustrated. It was as though silence was mocking her as well.

Her phone rang and she stopped in her tracks. She smiled and thought to herself, "Finally, you've decided to call home." She looked at the caller ID and frowned. It was not Harvey but someone else. Usually, she would be annoyed if anyone else called but this person, somehow had become an exception.

"Hello?"

"Hey Taeyeon."

"Oh hi, I thought you were asleep or something."

Jessica glanced at the clock. It was an hour before midnight, still early. "It's still early. Why did you call?"

"Right, I want to confirm the time for the meeting tomorrow."

"You could have just texted."

"Sorry, did I trouble you? I'm rather impatient so..."

"It's okay. I'll see you at twelve for lunch and we can talk about the project."

"Alright. Sorry to trouble you again, good night."

"Good night."

Jessica waited for her to hang up but Taeyeon did not. There was a moment of silence between the both of them and Jessica contemplated to hang up first then Taeyeon said something.

"Sweet dreams," she said, with a tone of contemplation.

Jessica was caught off guard by the simple two words. How long had it been since someone bidded her 'sweet dreams'? Harvey did call her on some nights while he was away but he only said good night and hung up. There was this warm, fuzzy feeling spreading through her and for a moment, she felt like someone was there with her. It felt like Taeyeon was there with her.

"Uh, you too," Jessica said, a bit too awkwardly but she was certain that that night would be one of those nights where she could truly fall asleep without feeling lonely and she wondered when was the last time she ever felt that way.