Because of myself

Say Yes

Kim Soo Hyun

After I started treating Kim Mae Ri’s burn, we went back to the standby area where the interns are but when we got there, mostly everyone left. I didn’t want to leave her at that very instant. Somehow, I wanted to look at the very least good to her... after all the fuss that had happened. I asked Kim Mae Ri for a ride. She declines violently but being the gentleman that I am, I insisted. She had no choice.

A little while ago, I asked my manager to go ahead. Kim Mae Ri and I went to the parking area in front of the house building and got into my baby – a Black Hyundai ix25 SUV.

Kim Mae Ri got in the passenger seat. She buckled her seatbelt and sighed, “You didn’t have to be this nice.” She said.

“Really? I’m naturally nice. I just hate stupid people.” I replied as I started the engine and turned the car aircon up. Then, I also buckled my seatbelt.

 “You hate me. Are you saying I’m stupid?” She asked while looking at me and raising her eyebrows.

I turned to her and replied, “A lot of times, you are.” I reved my engine and drove.

“You know, you just haven’t seen the best of me yet. I am a great person you know. You should ask my friends.” Kim Mae Ri said as she pouted and crossed her arms.

I laughed. “Whatever.”

“Tch. This brat doesn’t believe in anybody but himself.” Kim Mae Ri said in a faint but audible tone. She should really stop talking with herself. I can clearly hear it.

“What?” I looked at her.

She glanced at me for a second then she rolled her eyes. Her attention diverted when she saw the city lights. She was looking at it intently. Then she pressed the button to open the window.

“Yah what are you doing?” I said in a slight panic as I hear some cars overtaking us.

“It’s pretty.” She leaned her head against the opened window and continued to feel the wind. She was so into it.

“Yah, are you listening? Where do I even drop you off?” I continued to ask the amused girl.

“I just live  in Seokgwan-Dong. You can drop me off anywhere there.”

“You live near your university? I’ve actually been to that place.” I said. Funnily, I’ve been around that area when Kim Mae Ri-ssi and I first met. It was when I was supposed to meet Suzy. I was alarmed by the passing cars again and saw a person looking at our open window. I immediately pressed the button on my driver seat to close the window.

“Yah! What’s wrong with you.” Kim Mae Ri was surprised and her chin bumped into the closing window.

“People could see us. I’m still a celebrity you know.”

“I know that darn well. You could just ask.”

“But you don’t listen.” I said calmly.

“You are a big jerk. Someday, I’m gonna make a biiiigggg banner that announces that.” Kim Mae Ri said as she traces the size of the banner with her open hand. “And then I’m gonna photoshop your face into a very dirty looking gangster and you’re image will be ruined! No more smiling Soo Hyun. Pft.” She added as she playfully scoffed.

I laughed at her as she wittingly continued to think of ways to get back at me.

 

 

We’re near Seokgwan-Dong with only a few kilometers away.

 “You know you did really well... with acting and all that.” Mae Ri-ssi said. “I guess you’re really a top star.”

“Kamsahamnida. You’re not bad yourself. At least you’re not late nowadays.” I returned the praise.

“That late was a first time thing.” Kim Mae Ri-ssi protested.

There was a few seconds of silence. We continued to stare at the light painted road.

“Listen, I know that we’ve slept together... I’m also sorry for that.” I said.

Kim Mae Ri looked surprised. She touched her nape and laughed forcefully and awkwardly. “Ahaha, I’m sorry too.” She really acts stupidly in this way.

“Can you do me a favor and not tell anyone about it?” I breathe in and asked.

Kim Mae Ri glanced at me for a bit then went back to looking at the road. “So... this is about it.” Her voice became low. She sounded disappointed.

“No. Don’t take this the wrong wa-” I tried look at her with short glances and reason. But there’s only much you can do since driving has it’s limits.

Chumchuneun jageun kkatallena (Red Sun) Nado moreuge ppajyeo deureoga~ (Orange Caramel’s Catallena)

I was surprised to hear my phone ring. I looked at the phone. It was Suzy calling me. I glanced at Kim Mae Ri. She’s still looking blankly at the road. She really isn’t budging. With my phone still ringing, I had no choice but to answer it. I wore my headset and answered the call.

“Soo Hyun-ah. Let’s meet tonight. I have so many things to tell you.” Suzy’s voice sounded really cute and sweet.

I coughed as I tried to look at Kim Mae Ri-ssi and said, “Tonight? What for?” I continued to look and be wary of the girl beside me.

“Nothing, I just want to see youuuuu.” Suzy said. Kim Mae Ri-ssi was discreetly eyeing my phone in the dashboard trying to see who it was.

“Ah, okay...” I said in a low voice. Kim Mae Ri eyed me for a second.  “I’ll see you there.” I took the call short and hung up.

There was an awkward silence. The both of us couldn’t say anything.

 

“Turn left here.” Kim Mae Ri  said as she pointed to the corner and broke the silence. I followed her and turned the car left. “It looks like you still have a date. I told you, you didn’t have to send me home.” She added as she smiled faintly.

“Don’t worry, I insisted... I’m sorry for that call.” I replied. Kim Mae Ri-ssi acted as if she didn’t hear what I said.

“This is dangerous.” I said as I realized that the streets suddenly became crowded. It’s still a bit early, 9pm, there are still a number of university students roaming around the vicinity.

“There’s still a lot of people here. You can just drop me at that convenience store. I can walk from there.” Kim Mae Ri pointed to a familiar place. Confirmed! It was that convenience store when we first met!

“You live just around here?!” I said surprised.

Kim Mae Ri awkwardly laughed. “Uhm... About that... Yeah...?”

If I only knew she lived just around here, this wouldn’t all happen. I wouldn’t have taken her to my home in Gangnam. I looked around and sighed at that thought.

Things definitely turned awkward. We really couldn’t look at each other directly and Kim Mae Ri’s hands were all jittery and restless. I drove to the dimly lit part of the street to drop her off.

Kim Mae Ri put on a tired smile.

“Hey thanks again! You’re pretty good at this. And thanks for the ride too.” She said with a high-pitched and forced cheery tone as she looked to her neatly bandaged hand. I turned to look at Kim Mae Ri-ssi but she was covering her forehead with her left hand.

There was an deafening silence. We were just staring straight to the front.

“So... I guess we’re even now? I-I feel like we have no need to see each other like this anymore. Thanks for everything. And our secret is safe, don't worry. Good bye.” Kim Mae Ri said to me as she bowed and quickly went out of my car. She ran straight to the inside of the convenience store.

I raised my eyebrows. Well, I can’t really argue with that. She was right. There was no reason for us to see each other. Everything happened so fast. My eyes were downcast as my phone caught my attention.

“Ah right, I still have to meet Suzy.” I thought to myself as I released a sigh.

 

 

Kim Mae Ri

After I got out of the car, I ran straight to the brightly lit convenience store. I immediately went to the cashier to buy a cigarette pack.

“One Lucky Strike Black please.” I said to the cashier. I inhaled in and out while trying to calm myself. The cashier handed to it to me. I reached for my money and paid. Then, I went to the glassed side of the store to see if Kim Soo Hyun’s car was still there. I exhaled in relief to see him gone.

“Tch, why am I even upset?” I said to myself. I couldn’t contain it. “It’s like I didn’t know Kim Soo Hyun had someone. Why am I being like this... jinja.”

This is too much, I needed to drink this all away. I went to the chilled alcohol aisle and got myself 4 canned beers. Then I bought a hotdog sandwich for dinner. Bringing all this, I went to the outside tables. My favorite spot is still open. It’s the plastic monobloc seats with a table in the corner. I like seating there because It always had a good view of the people. I’m not a creep, I just like people watching. I walked to there and sat.

I reached for my phone. I took a selfie photo and smiled faintly, not showing my teeth. Thereafter, I uploaded it in my SNS. It’s been a while since I opened my account. I saw my mother’s message asking if I found my phone. I replied to her and told her I missed her. In times like this, I really miss her. I need my mom’s wisdom right now, but I can’t tell her that it’s about a guy and sleeping with him. Aish. I ruffled my hair. Then I saw my friend requests, there was a new one. K.Hyunnie is the name. I scoffed at the name. The profile picture is a mountain path. Out of all the names why choose it, it sounds like that jerk's name. I shrugged the thought and hit accept. Then, I placed my phone on the table and ate the hotdogs.

“Mother I’m sorry. I’m eating another convenience store food.” I said to myself.

I ate the hotdog sandwich hoping that the thoughts can just be eaten out. Then I chugged down a beer. I lit a cigarette and smoked.

“Cheater... Cheater... Cheater...” This has all been my thoughts. My ex-boyfriend broke up with me because he cheated with some girl, and now, “I’m a cheater too?!” I said to myself.

“Aish! If it wasn't because of that ing Barry, I wouldn’t be in this mess!” I said loudly as I drank a beer can bottoms up. The people passing by were startled and judgingly looked at me. But I didn't give a . I'm upset. I needed to get this out of my system.

I was feeling rather alone, I looked my phone. I wanted to call Lee Jong Suk but I don’t have the heart to tell him about this. I sighed, then I decided to call Choi Jinri. Thankfully, her phone was ringing and she answered.

“Mae Ri-ah. What’s up?” Jinri greeted in a sweet voice.

“I’m drinking in the corner store.” I replied to her. Hearing my bestfriend’s voice gives me comfort.

“Bwoh?! Your drinking again?! Stop that.”

“Haha. Yeah. There’s just some things.”

“Is this about your internship? And why is it noisy?” Jinri sounded concern.

“There’s actually still a lot of people in the area. And it’s not about the internship. Just some things. How ‘bout you? How are you doing?” I said as I puffed another smoke.

“Ah! I know!” Jinri exclaimed. “Mae Ri-ah I’ve got some juicy news. I was surfing the internet news and then I saw a celebrity blind item from dispatch that a certain rising celebrity actor was meeting someone near our university!”

I blinked my eyes, “That explains the sudden surge of girls in the area, I wonder who could that be?” I replied to Jinri. Could it be Kim Soo Hyun? But he’s already a top star. I’m confused. Why is my mind so full of him! Argh. I hit my head softly.

“I don’t know, but it could be a secret lovestory! And it’s in our university! Kyaaaaaaaaaaaa.” Jinri squealed like a proper fangirl.

“Yeah, maybe she’s that lucky.” I said as I smiled. I was honestly a bit envious of whoever that might be, if it’s true. “Jinri ah, in one week, after our internships, let’s meet okay? I need to tell you about a lot of things with SBS.” I said to my friend.

“SBS! I’m still not getting over how lucky you are! And sure no problem, I’m sorry I’m quite busy too with my internship. Just call me if you need anything okay?” Jinri replied.

“Okay. I’ll hang up now. See you soon.” I smiled.  That short call cheered me up a bit.

Staring at the stars, I continued to drink. Suddenly, tears fell from my eyes.

“What’s this? Why am I like this?” I asked myself and sniffed. “What am I crying for?”

Was it because of Kim Soo Hyun?

Was it because of my past love?

Or was it because of myself? That I became like this?

I wiped the tears away and puffed another smoke.

 

Author’s Note:

The drama wherein Mae Ri is doing her internship is fictional since KSH doesn’t have a drama coming up. And there’s Lee Jong Suk and Suzy dating scandal roaming last week. But it was immediately denied by dispatch, I hope that this could enrich the story plot of this fanfic. Anyway, thanks for reading! I'll have a follow-up chapter soon.