Comfort

Say Yes

Kim Mae Ri

As usual, it was a work kind of a day.

During our pre-production meetings, I told Jinri what happened. And wow, was she pissed at Kim Soo Hyun. I tried to make it lighter for her and to make her somewhat understand him and his pretentious-to-only-me attitude. However, she’s partly amazed too on how things kind of turned out. Well, what chance would I even have to meet that kind of someone in my drunken moments. I think the probability of running into a ert is even higher, but what gives. Maybe I did save a planet in my past life.

Today, we’re in shooting in a grassy field. It’s outdoors and the sun was scorching at 1pm. Who says it’s fall, it’s like the summer sun all over again. But thankfully, I was on a lunch break while the others shoot. Jinri was with the Production Manager. I think they’re preparing the food for the crew. I just finished my location and finance job, so I’m a bit lax. And because Jong Suk personally asked for me to meet him, here I am in sitting in his van.

 “Wow, look at you being so professional.” Jong Suk bantered.

I smirked at his sarcastic remark, “Yah, I’m on a break. I need to eat, but since I’m here, I can’t do that. So, what’s up? What do you need me for? Where’s your manager?” I looked around the van and noticed his stylist in the front seat and greeted her with a bow. She bowed back to me too, and then I turned my attention to Jong Suk again.

“You really should eat. But I was bored and that’s why I called you here. This is one of the reasons why I referred you to Chae Rin Manager.”

“So you could play with me anytime?”

“Yes.” He beamed his pearly whites. “Actually... I want you to meet my manager. He seems eager to meet you too.”

“Wait? Well, I’ve seen him around. But we haven’t formally met. Oh my...” I wanted to shy away, it was all so sudden.

“And here he is.” Jong Suk fixed the way he’s seated and the van door opened. His manager greeted us with a panting and exhausted face from the heat. “Hyung, this is Mae Ri.”

My eyes widened  in surprise, “Annyeong Haseyo. I’m Kim Mae Ri.” I tried to bow my head in shy awkwardness.

The manager eyed me from head to toe. “So you’re the Kim Mae Ri. Jong Suk has been telling me all about you.” He leaned forward, “And you’ve given me headaches.”

“Ah... Eh...” I smiled nervously as I try to get the words out of my mouth.

“Hyung, don’t be like that. You’re scaring her.” Jong Suk playfully said.

The manager laughed and coughed as he was trying to catch his breath, finally, he seemed more human. “I’m sorry. I’m Seo Jin Yoon­ – but you can call me Manager Seo. But you did gave me a headache. I’m having a hard time explaining to the people about your relationship with Jong Suk.”

I bowed to him and fiddled with the paperbox lunch in my hand in nervousness, “I’m very sorry... I didn’t-“

“I know, I know. You didn’t know. It was all Jong Suk’s fault.” Manager Seo eyed Jong Suk. Jong Suk flashed an innocent face and smiled.

“Ask him to do better okay? He’s too hard headed.Maybe you can put some sense into him.” Manager asked me.

“I will. I’ll do my best.” I said as I bowed again.

“Mae Ri, you can relax. Manager Seo is a pretty nice guy, except when you know, I try to do extra stupid things. He gets on a scary father mode when I do that.” Jong Suk laughed at the thought. Then he looked at his watch, seemingly worried about the time, he turned to his Manager. “Hyung, what happened on the set? Aren’t they done already? It’s an hour late.”

“I went to the set and the director kept taking NGs. It wasn’t a pretty sight.” The manager said as he leaned in the open van door.

I took the paper schedule on my body bag. I always had a handy dandy body bag during shoots, it helps me a lot and keeps my valuables safe. I looked at the paper to see who it was, it was none other than Kim Soo Hyun’s  fighting scene.

“So what exactly happened?” Jong Suk asked.

“Well Kim Soo-“ I accidently cut off Manager Seo.

“Excuse me, I... I have to see the set. I think I left something there.” I tried to reason as my face had obvious marks of a growing worry. Welp, that’s it, I am a bad liar. I got out of the van. I turned to face the manager and bowed to him. “It was nice meeting you. I’ll see you soon Jong Suk.”

Jong Suk was wary of my sudden surprise, he stared at me as I disappeared from the parking lot and into the open and hot grassy field.

 

 

I steathily walked towards the set area, I can’t bear to even disturb the already tensed atmosphere that it is. Even when I’m just a few feet away, I can already feel everybody’s annoyance and endurance of the scene. When I finally got closer and arrived on set, I saw Kim Soo Hyun sliding and rolling in the dirt. The scene was about him escaping a fight and rolling into the lower ditch covered with dirt.

“CUT!” The director comfortably announced in his chair. “NG! Stylists fix him again! We’ll retake the slide.” The stylists immediately ran towards the actor and helped him fix his attire.

I walked towards Chae Rin Manager. She was focused on the scene when she saw me and I bowed to her and she acknowledged it. Then, I just quietly stood there while observing the scene.

Kim Soo Hyun was looking distressed. His face was covered with dirt and his top is dirty. He tried to dust off his pastel blue polo shirt as he coughed from all the dry dust. He was sweaty and honestly, it was scorching. But, why can’t he look a bit uglier?! Really. He’s hot and sweaty and the girls on the set are just swooning all over it. Though there are some that are worried, like me and Chae Rin Manager. We felt  that there is something going on.  We can feel the cold atmosphere.

“Unni, what happened?” I whispered to Chae Rin.

“This is the 9th NG. There’s something wrong. Everything seems good but they keep on retaking the scene.” She answered to me with a worried tone.

I bit my lip as I looked at Kim Soo Hyun. I could feel his aloofness, he really looked pissed yet still enduring all this. I wondered on what his manager is saying about all this.

“Okay, everybody! Stand by!” The director announced. The crew and actor got ready and went to their blocks. Kim Soo Hyun stood a feet away from the ditch. “Okay, Cameras! Audio! 5 – 4 – 3 – 2 – Action!”

Kim Soo Hyun, on character, ran in the dry soil as if someone was really chasing him down and slid down and rolled towards the ditch.

“Okay! That’s a good take.” The director stood up. He whispered to the assistant director (AD).

“Get ready for the next location.” The AD said.

I stood frozen on set and looking at Kim Soo Hyun, as the people started to move around. Kim Soo Hyun was wiping his hands with his handkerchief as he was approached by his manager and stylist but after a few words, he politely shrugged them off. It still looked like he was trying to contain his emotions. Then his manager left him and he walked to the opposite side towards a shaded tree.

“You’re on break right?” Chae Rin Manager asked and I tried to look attentive as I snapped out of my thoughts.

“Yes I was, I just went here because I was worried.” I told her.

“Okay, meet me after your break. It’ll be me and Jinri’s turn to eat later.” She answered.

“Yes unni.” I answered and she left. The people are still moving.  Then I remember I really had to eat. I took out my lunch in the paperbox and water. I wanted to go back to the stand by area in the parking lot but I stopped on my steps. I looked back and saw Kim Soo Hyun sitting under the tree with his hands resting on his head and covering his eyes.

I suddenly remembered when we were in a club and I saw him crying. It was painful to watch. I didn’t want to see him like that again. I looked around and almost nobody was in sight. Decided, I walked over to where he was.

I carefully threaded my steps as to not disturb his thoughts. Then when  I got to the tree. I looked at him. I tried to rub my feet on the grass to get his attention. But his head was still looking down and burried on his hands. Then I sat a few reasonable inches beside him.

“Ki- Kim-“ I stuttered. Surprisingly, I still didn’t know how to comfort him.

“What? I’m trying to sleep.” He asked in a very deep voice.

 “Yah. You can’t sleep. You’re still on the next scene, after this.” I stammered as I handed him my moderately cold drink and made it touch his skin.  “How ‘bout a drink?”

He slightly raised his head and looked at me.

“What? You’re- It’s hot. You’ll need it.” I bit my lip and stared at the open field. I can visibly see the parking lot in the distance.

Kim Soo Hyun finally raised his head and smirked. “Thanks.” He said as he took the drink. He opened it and drank it. I looked at him and somehow, I am feeling good even when I’m just looking at him. But I... I just can’t really tell what he’s thinking. For a sensitive man, he’s particularly hard to read. But, I still want to help him. I still want to comfort him.

"Ahh." He released a refreshed sound. Then, he closed the bottle. He held it and placed it on his face to cool him down. He looked a bit calmer now.

“You know, if you need something. You can just ask. I know a lot of pretty good deal about the Kim Soo Hyun.” I tried my best but still in sheer awkwardness, I tried to avoid his gaze.

“Hm.” He released a small smile and placed the drink down. Then, he closed his eyes and leaned on my shoulder.

I felt my face warm up as I was caught in a pleasant surprise. I took quick glances on his relaxing face.

“Uhm... Ah...” I was again stuttering. If I’m drunk, I could’ve possibly blurt out something to ease the mood.

“Shh. It’s fine. Just let me be like this even for a few minutes.” Kim Soo Hyun gently pleaded.

I allowed his plead. For a few minutes, we stayed silent. I continued to stare at the blue sky while alternatingly closing my eyes too.  We’re enjoying the silence and the slight rustling of the leaves. I released a smile. I can’t help but think, what we felt there in that spot was a complete opposite of our day, we were under a the shade of a tree in a grassy field and under a bright blue sky. The wind was starting to kiss our skin with cold breeze as if telling us that it’s okay to be this, even just for a few minutes. It... it was good.

“It was humiliating back there.” Kim Soo Hyun said with his eyes closed. I continued to listen to every word he was saying.  “The director was clearly mad at me. It's because he personally preferred Yoo Chun. When I was first offered this role, my company rejected it because I was just finishing ‘Together’. It was for good reasons. But the director, he held onto that grudge. He thinks that I’m feeling proud and I sabotaged his plan. The company warned me and advised me not to take this on, but I wanted to do this. I want to face my heartaches and fears. I wanted to be here... because you’re here.” he released a satisfied smile.

My eyes widened in surprise and I bit my lip. Was this a confession? I am pretty sure it isn’t. I don’t want to assume. I hid the thought at the back of my head and focused on what really mattered.

“But you know...” Kim Soo Hyun sat straight and looked at me straight in the eyes. “I promised myself that no one can ever put me down. Not especially in this career and craft. I’m sure I’ll make it through.”

“I... I respect you on that.” I said as I was caught in his stare.

“You should! Because it’s me you’re talking about!” He said as he stretched out his arms and stood up.

“Okay, you lost it again.” I said as I tried to hide my snigger. “You gotta fix your humor. Sometimes, it’s not funny.”

“Then why are you laughing?” He said as he pointed to my face. Then he reached his other hand to help me stand up.

“I’m not laughing. You’re just weird.  I honestly thought that you’re going to pop anytime soon.” I accepted his offer and held his hand. His grip was firm and steady as It helped me stand up.

“You won’t see me ‘pop’ in work.” He smirked while trying to brag.

I snickered at this confident alien. “Of course you won’t pop because you want to try and look cool to others.”

“You bet I am.”

“And you just admitted to that?”

“What? I really am cool, even if I try or not.”

We kept on our banters  as we dust off our pants and walked to the stand by area. But all in all, I was happy that he’s okay. And I hope, I was able to help him. Even for a short while.

Hi guys! Sorry I've been busy! I missed my fanfic but there isn't a day where I haven't thought of it. Thanks for all the subs and comments. It really warms my heart. Thank you.