Declaration

Say Yes

Kim Mae Ri

This big time. In an instant it bursted my bubble of happiness.

It’s not that I’m thankful. I’m just surprised, how can I work with Suzy and Kim Soo Hyun around? Seriously, I could handle it with just one. Just one. Was it too hard to ask? But they really had to give me two.

“Aish.” I sunk into a facepalm.

“Yah yah yah!” Jinri nudged my arm. “Mae Ri-ah! It’s Kim Soo Hyun! He’s like the super famous actor! His popularity is even being compared to Lee Min Ho! He’s Doo Min Joon!” She said with gleaming eyes.

I was still in a daze as I stare into her happy face.

“Earth to Mae Ri!” Jinri inquired as she wiggled her finger in front of me. “What is up with you? I thought you liked him? We even spazzed about him, right?”  

I blinked and nodded as I felt a sudden rush of reality. “Dehh, I liked You Who Came From The Stars.”

“Oh you should watch him and his iness in the Moon that Embraces the Sun. And have you seen his abs? They’re really really awesome.”

My mouth hung open and I released an awkward laugh, “Yeahhhh. I’ll try if I have time.” Really, I can’t tell her that I actually got to feel those abs. I’ll sound insane. No, I’m insane. Really insane.

“But we’re so lucky aren’t we? Who knew that your Jong Suk would be such a famous actor!” Jinri bit her smile.

“I-I know.” The thought that Jong Suk gave us this opportunity to us made me want to take courage. I released a timid smile.

Jinri stared at me and pouted, “Are you okay?”

“I’m okay Jinri-ah.” I looked at her warmly and smiled as I pat her shoulder.

The producer proceeded to introduce the casts and gave each their short character descriptions.

“Shooting date starts after two days. Let’s work hard everybody.” The Producer announced.

“Deh!” The production crew said in an energetic chorus and followed with a round of applause. I guess we’re all looking forward to this.

The actors started to exit the mini stage and went down. Then they went to talk with the other production heads and their managers. We were in the back side of the room, so we’re pretty much unnoticeable by most.

“Kim Mae Ri? Choi Jinri? I’m Yoo Chae Rin the Production Manager for ‘The Brightest.’” She said as she gave us her business cards.

“Nice to meet you.” We bowed to her as we received it.

Yoo Chae Rin smiled at us, “Mae Ri-ssi, Jinri-ssi, let’s meet tomorrow. We need to meet and discuss with regards to the shooting schedule and budget okay? I need you guys because we’ll be in a crunch time after today.”

“Yes Manager.”

“Time to get busy! I’m sorry we didn’t get much time to get to know each other. But since Jong Suk referred you both to me. I’m gonna trust his words.”

Jinri and I looked at each other. It’s like we have telepathy. I can know what she’s thinking just by looking at her. And we’re thinking that it’s nerve-wracking but exciting. We turned to look at the manager and replied with a worried smile, “Yes Manager.”

“I’ll see you guys.” The PM said as we bowed again. She was walking away when Jong Suk suddenly approached her. He was talking with his manager beforehand, but when he saw Chae Rin Manager, he suddenly went to her. I observed what Jong Suk was doing, he was smiling at her and then he bowed. Then our eyes met, he smiled at me and I gently waved at him. Jinri waved at him too. Then after talking with the PM, he walked towards us.

“Asa!” Jong Suk said he high-fived both me and Jinri. Then he turned to look at me and pinched my cheeks. “How’s my cute Mae Ri?”

“Yah! Yah! Yah!” I said as I tried to remove his hands form my face. “It hurts.”

Jong Suk is being Jong Suk again. He widely smiled as he released my cheeks and turned to Jinri.

“Nice to finally see you in person.”

“I didn’t know you’re THE Lee Jong Suk.” Jinri exclaimed. “Are you tricking Mae Ri all the time?!”

“Ah of course not.” Jong Suk still all smiles, “I take care of her all the time. Right Mae Ri?” He looked at me.

I stuck my tongue out, “Yeeaaah. He does take care of me.”

“Aigoo, these two.” Jinri teasingly stared at us. “Be right back, I need to go to the washroom.”

“I’ll come with-“ I said.

“No you two stay and catch up.” She flashed us a sly smile. We can’t help but just laugh awkwardly as we watched her exit the room. We were all giddy and happy, but I felt a piercing stare at my back. I bit my lip as we gradually turned silent.

“Mae Ri-ah,” Jong Suk looked down and said in a serious tone. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know that Kim Soo Hyun was here. I thought it was Yoo Chun. I’ve heard that he was offered that role, but I didn’t know that he turned it down and that guy would appear here. If I only knew, I would’nt have signed you up for this.”

“Yah, Lee Jong Suk. Light up. If I’m not here, I’m probably back home – in my own country. You did good. No, you did great!” I  tried to comfort my friend. “And it’s not your fault. I’ve been good. It was a minor bump but I somehow managed to fix things. Thank you Jong Suk. I owe you big time.” I gently patted his back.

 

Kim Soo Hyun

“Look at how that bastard acts! How can she go straight to her? Isn’t he even worried about the rumors? I didn’t think that he’s this thoughtless.” I whispered to myself as I take glances at the two and again, quietly grit my teeth.

Suzy and I were talking with the director and we were with our managers. After some brief talks, the director excused himself.

“Manager Yoo?” Suzy suddenly said as he looked at my manager. “I’m sorry but can I borrow Soo Hyun for a while? I just need to talk to him. You too manager oppa.” She looked at her manager too. “I’ll borrow him for a while.” She took my hand and dragged me all the way to an isolated corner of the room. I released my hand from her clasp.

“Soo Hyun-ah.” Suzy said as she crossed her arms.

“What?”

“This is a coincidence, don’t you think? It seems like fate doesn’t want me to give up on you.” She lift her chin in an attempt to look confident. “And you know? I think I won’t. I won’t give up on you.”

My eyes widened in surprise. Why is she doing this? After all that I’ve done, now, she’s doing this? My mind was in a rut. My eyes wavered as I try to make sense of this vague situation. Then I saw Kim Mae Ri near us as she slowly stops and turns into a pause. I covered my mouth in surprise and sighed.

“Ahem!” I coughed. Mae Ri snapped back to reality as she immediately turned her back. Suzy turned to see where I was looking at. She glanced at Mae Ri but she turned away immediately and ignored her. She didn’t knew who she was.

“I’ll take  you back. Just wait.” Suzy said with conviction as she walks away.

I rubbed my bottom lip as my mind was still struggling in belief. Did Kim Mae Ri hear that? Did Suzy really say that? Aish, I released a defeated sigh.

 

Kim Mae Ri

“What did I just hear?” I whispered to myself as I was still frozen on the spot, good thing I was able to at least turn my back.

After discussing with Jong Suk, I remembered my ‘pact’ with Kim Soo Hyun. Jong Suk went outside to socialize with others. But me? I tried to honor that pact. So with good intentions, I approach the dreaded Kim Soo Hyun. To at least say hi or whatever. But this?! This is what I hear? After asking me to date him? He'll run back to her?! This is annoying! I slowly shaked my head in disapproval.

“Mae Ri-ah.” My eyes widened as I heard Kim Soo Hyun call my name. Not even thinking about it, I ran fast and away from him and towards my friends outside the room. It was an awkward encounter. What could I say that possibly make things better? I bet nothing. And why am I reacting like this .

“Mae Ri! Where did you go?” Jinri greeted.

My shoulders are slumped and my eyes were downcast. Honestly, I didn’t know what to do. We’re not even shooting yet and I’m already like this. I touched my nape in wonder.

“Are you okay?” Jinri touched my arm and concernly asked. “You’ve been lost since a few hours ago.”

“Ah? I’m sorry. I guess I was just pressured?” I tried my best to answer. Jong Suk was looking at me intently too.

“Shall we get food and drinks to loosen you up?” Jong Suk said as he patted my head.

“Yes on food! But... I can’t drink. But... I already promised Mae Ri... Sooo okay.” Jinri said hesistatingly, then she looked at me and hugged me. “Yah, we can do this Mae Ri.”

“How can a korean be so into skinship?” I said to Jinri as we released each other from the hug.

“Tch, you’re a foreigner so what?” She playfully replied.

I looked at my two friends who are desperately to cheer me up. I can't help but smile at them. How blessed must I have been to have them here with me? I guess this is why I love them the most.

“Okay! Let’s go drink!”