Give Back

Say Yes

Kim Soo Hyun

The sun was shining through my window. I scrunched up my eyes and felt a tingling pain on my chest. I rubbed my chest trying to relieve the fast heartbeat. Back in 2010, I had my heart surgery. This pain from an irregular heartbeat usually happens especially if I’m stressed, but I’m quite used to it. I struggingly got up to lean on my headboard. Then, I reached for my bedside table drawer and searched for my medicine. When I got it, I removed the blanket that was covering the lower part of my body and tried to stand up.

Then I noticed it, my bed was messy. I was topless. And there was a Samsung Galaxy Duos with a teal case. “I know whose phone that is.” I closed my eyes, trying to collect what happened. Then I scrunched up my nose and rubbed my head while trying to make sense of everything.

“She really knows what to do in these cases. Getting out of the bed before the other wakes up.” I sighed and shaked my head in disapproval. Still feeling a slight pain, I reached for my phone and called my manager.

 

Kim Mae Ri

I was walking towards my dorm.

It’s a weekday so the street were crowded with university students and vendors. It was hot and it’s early, especially for me. But even if the street was noisy, I don’t really care, because my mind was too busy thinking of what happened.

Let me tell you what happened and why I came home instead.

 

When I got up, I looked at the clock. We have a shoot scheduled for today and it’s already 6:30am. I needed to be there at 7. So I jerked out of bed. I thought that the alien would at least wake up, but no, he didn’t. He’s really a deep sleeper. I wanted to stay so I could’ve at least enjoyed his sleeping face. But, no. I slapped my face to stop the malicious thoughts and bit my lip. I gathered my stuff amongst the rowdy clothes in the floor and hastingly made my way to the shooting location.

When I got to the location, the crew were packing up equipments. And one of them told me that it was canceled because one of the actors can’t make it. It was a bummer. They should’ve called, but the crew said that they did inform everybody. Annoyed, I searched for my phone in my bag. Then I placed my palm on my face and rubbed it in frustration - I just lost my phone.

 

So there, I just went home and there I was walking in the streets. “My mom would kill me if she knew I lost my phone.” I groaned to myself.

I finally arrived on my building. My co-ed dorm building is fairly old but it’s well-maintained.  It had peach walls and the security is quite good since there’s 2 guards roaming. Although the room is small, I have it all to myself. And the best part is, it’s close to the university and it’s cheap.

I got to my room and hugged my floral bed sheet bed as if I’ve been gone for so long and dazed into sleep.

 

I woke up in the afternoon. I was still groggy but I reached for my laptop. I browsed my SNS and updated my status.

Hi everybody. I’m sorry if you can’t contact me at the moment. I lost my phone.. TT TT

I left my laptop opened and went to have an exhilirating bath. When I got out, I found 3 comments.

Choi Jinri 25 mins ago
What happened?
ㅡ_ㅡ

Lina Kim (Mom) 10 mins ago
Marie Kim! Find your phone and stop being so careless. This is the last, I won’t get you another.

Lee Jong Suk 3 mins ago
PM. :)

Aw, I’m touched at how they cared for me. But omo, my mom saw my post. I’m done for! I really needed to find my phone. My mom just said that she won’t buy me another. Then I saw Lee Jong Suk’s private message.

Lee Jong Suk 5 mins ago
What happened to you?

I replied,

Marie Kim
I lost my phone. Can you help me? And I’m hungry. Let’s eat. TT TT

Lee Jong Suk
Sure no problem. I’ll meet you at the chinese restaurant below your building in 15 minutes.

Marie Kim
Okay,thank you Jong Suk-ah. You’re a true friend.
 ㅋ_ㅋ

After I replied to the other comments, I closed my laptop and got ready. I wore a tucked-in loose white shirt and denim shorts. Then I finished it up with a floral scarf.

I went to outside to wait for Jong Suk. I reached for my cigarette pack and smoked one while waiting for him. There’s still a lot of people in the street. We barely meet this early since his acting school days.

I waited but he’s running a bit late than usual. Then I saw from a distance, walking in that downsloped road. It was Lee Jong Suk. Again, he was wearing hoodies – his most favorite fashion choice. I laughed at that thought. But something is wrong, he seemed wary. He’s looking at his back and sides frequently. He only glanced at me for a second. Something is definitely wrong. I stared at him the whole time.

He continued walking until he got to my front. Then he suddenly turned towards me and went close to me. My eyes blinked in surprise.  Did I mention that this guy is really tall? I’m only 5’”3, so his chest and my face are literally a few inches a way from each other.

“Hi Mae Ri, sorry for being late.” He said and smiled at me.

“Why are you this close? What’s the matter?” I worringly asked.

“Well, it’s complicated. I just need to cover you.”He replied as he got my floral scarf and wrapped my hair and face with it. I was looking for what’s wrong, then I saw at the back of a car a few feet away from us. There was a person with a big camera taking sneaky pictures of him. I looked at Jong Suk. He looked uncomfortable but still forced a smiled.

“Do you want to be my girlfriend if these pictures get published?” He jokingly said but his eyes has a tinge of seriousness.

“Yah, why are you like this?”  I nudged him at his shoulder. “Why are they following you? And why are we hiding? Are you some kind of hallyu star?” I raised my brows and confused as what to do.

Lee Jong Suk smiled then laughed cheekily as he covered his mouth with his hand trying to hide his laugh. “Trust me on this.”

“Well. Okay, you know I trust you Jong Suk.” I said while looking up at him.

“Just cover your face and stay close to me. Okay?”

I nodded in agreement.  Jong suk then called a taxi. Thankfully there’s one that’s passing by. Then as he covered my face, we quickly got in.

“Just drive first ahjusshi.” Jong Suk told the driver. Then he slouched his back at the seat and let out a sigh of relief.

“I’m not gonna ask anymore about that trouble, but where are we going now Jong Suk-ah?” I turned to look at Jong Suk.

“Well, I don’t know. We’re supposed to eat... But what happened to your phone?” He asked.

“I don’t know...” I bit my lip. “I haven’t tried on calling it yet, and you’re the first person that I saw today.” I added as I removed the scarf on my face.

“You don’t have a shoot today?”

“No it got canceled suddenly.”

“Then call it through my phone.” Jong suk said as he got his phone, typed his password and handed it to me. I dialed my number and my face lighted up to see it still ringing. I anxiously waited for somebody to answer the phone. Then it stopped ringing, someone answered it.

“You know you’re so careless.” The voice from the phone said. I know that voice anywhere. It’s Kim Soo Hyun’s. I was startled and I scratched my head in disbelief. Then I saw Jong Suk was watching me so I hurriedly fixed my expression.

“Hi, uhm... can I get my phone?” I asked.

“Do whatever you want. My door password is 8549.” Kim Soo Hyun replied from the other line.

“Why would you give it to me?”

“Just get it.”

The line was cut.  I bit my lip.

 

I turned my head to look at Jong Suk, “Mae Ri, who was it?” He asked.

“8549, 8549...” I whispered to myself, “Ah, some stranger got it. He was nice enough to give it back.” I said.

“Are you sure? It could be trouble. Tell me if you need me to come.”

“I'm good. I’m sorry Jong Suk-ah, but can you please drop me off in Gangnam, in Café Alver?”

“Sure no problem. I’m sorry too. For the trouble.” Jong Suk looked towards the window.

“Yah, you don’t need to be sorry.” I nudged his shoulders and then he looked at me, “You’re helping me to find my phone right?” I smiled at him.

“Yeah... Let’s eat next time. It’s my treat.” Jong Suk returned the smile.

“Yeahhhhhh!” We high-fived.

Lee Jong Suk and I talked cheerfully. Sometimes, I do wonder why won’t he talk about his career. But, I don’t know, I feel that I just have to respect that. That’s the very least I can do for him. I want to give back to him all that he did for me.

 

Author's note:

Hi! It's been a few weeks since I last updated.
As you can see this is a Behind-The-Scenes fanfiction, I try to keep the characters especially Kim Soo Hyun as he is. From reading different interviews and controversies around him, he really seems to be a deep sleeper and he really did have a heart surgery. And it seems that he really is
sickly too.

That's it for now. Thanks for reading.