Without Looking Back

Say Yes

Kim Mae Ri

When we arrived at Café Alver, I went down and waved goodbye to Jong Suk. Jong Suk went ahead in the cab. I liked going here in the Gangnam Café Street. It’s just so relaxing. Some are expensive though, but I liked the fact that a lot of these cafés are personally owned. It has a very homey feel to it. It’s not like the corporate owned Starbucks or Coffee Bean. Plus who wouldn’t want to see pretty Gangnam girls and guys. They’re just so elegant and beautiful. And did I mention that some idols can be seen here from to time? I hid my squeal.

I repeatedly said his password  8-5-4-9 as I made my way towards Kim Soo Hyun’s condo unit. It’s around the area so I just walked. But then it hit me, I forgot to pay Jong Suk for the cab. Tch, this is really careless of me. “I’ll make sure to call Jong Suk when I get my phone.” I whispered to myself.

I casually entered Kim Soo Hyun’s condo lobby. I logged my name in the visitor’s list and went my way up. I need to look fine and unsuspicious. I can’t be mistaken for some nasty girl. When I got out of the elevator, I walked towards his door.

“Tch, here I am again. Why do I keep coming back here?” I annoyingly said to myself as I typed the password. 8-5-4-9, “click, beep!” It’s the sound of the door opening.

I cautiously entered his door. I took off my shoes and  walked towards the white paint coated spacious living room.

“It’s like no one’s home.” I said to myself.

I think it’s the only time I get to really see his condo unit. All the time that I was here, it was for some kind of trouble. Aish. Anyway, the condo has a black modern sofa. There was also a big flat screen TV and a glass coffee table. I guess, overall, his condo has a modern bachelor feel. Like a child, I continued to look around. On the left, it was an empty white and black accented kitchen with a dining table. On the right there’s a balcony with Seoul’s city skyline view. I walked towards the glass door of the balcony and admired the day view.  

“Cough!” Startled, I stepped back.

“So somebody’s home.” I said to myself, it was from the bedroom. I made my way to the source of the voice.

“I’m sorry to intrude but--” I got cut off when I saw a bedridden Kim Soo Hyun. My eyes widened and looked around. No one is here but me then, I rushed to his bed side. “What happened Kim Soo Hyun-ssi?” I worringly said.

Kim Soo Hyun just kept his eyes closed. “You’re here? Just get your things.” He said coldly. “You’re ID is on that study table drawer.” Not even opening his eyes, he pointed to the study table near the window and across his bed. “And you’re phone is in front of you.” He added.

I saw my phone in his bedside table. “Stop spouting nonsense!” I exclaimed. “How can I leave a person like this?!”

Kim Soo Hyun opened his eyes and looked at me. “We just slept together, we don’t have any relationship.” He said with an monotone voice and poker face.

“I know that darn well. I don't need you to tell me that.”  I clenched my fists. “But do you see yourself? I left you that way earlier. Topless. You haven’t even changed. Where’s your manager?” I looked away bashfully as I noticed that he was indeed topless.

“He’s still busy. The shoot got canceled right? He needs to take care of that.” Kim Soo Hyun said. Finally, we’re making a humane conversation.

“So it was because of you.” I looked at him again. I saw him covering his chest with his hand. Curious as to what happened to him, I touched his neck but he immediately slapped my hand back.  “Yah! Stop being stubborn. You have a high fever!” I exclaimed.

“Just go.” Kim Soo Hyun said.

I curled my eyebrows  and walked out of the bedroom. Kim Soo Hyun eyed me out and closed his eyes. I really can't believe this guy.

 

Kim Soo Hyun

I groaned. There was still a bit of pain and the irregular heartbeat is still there. I need to take my medicine. I opened my eyes and saw myself clothed with a white shirt. There was also porridge and water beside me. And then I felt a cold sensation on my forehead, I touched it and there was a cold towel on it. I struggingly sat myself in upright position. "Is it manager Yoo?" I wondered as I reached for the food and tasted some of the porridge. It’s still hot and it’s not bad. Though I can't taste much of it, but it's warm and I'm hungry. I continued to sip the porridge.

“Oh you’re awake. There was this girl tinkering in your kitchen?” I heard Manager Yoo’s voice and I froze for a bit.  “I think she’s an intern from the drama. Is she a new housemaid or a girlfriend?”

I  turned to my door and saw him standing there. My eyes widened in surprise.

“What happened to you again? Are you that stressed out over the shoot?” Manager Yoo added.

“It’s nothing Hyung.” I took another sip of the porridge.

“Take care of yourself. Take your medicine and just rest. We can’t afford to delay the shoot anymore.”

“Mianhe hyung.” I looked at him.

“And the girl, I took care of her. She won’t be bothering you anymore.”

I looked at my manager. I don't know what he's trying to say. I continued eating and tried to decipher what happened.

I turned to look the phone in my bedside table and It was gone.

“So it was her. What a hard-headed girl.” I thought to myself as I ate the food. Unknowingly, a warm smile etched on my face.

 

 

Kim Mae Ri

I wiped Kim Soo Hyun’s flaming upper body with cold water and alcohol. He was flaming hot and his body is too. I'm sure that wiping his body with cold water and alcohol would help to cool him down. My mom used to always do this to me when I get sick. I was also a bit surprised to see his scar in the chest. It's faint and barely noticeable. I think it's something about his heart or his lungs. "I wonder what happened to you. Alien-ssi." I said to this sleeping Soo Hyun.

I also changed his top clothes. I was feeling really embarassed. Since I've went to Korea, I haven't seen a man topless again.

"Calm yourself Mae Ri! We already did something! But the light was dim and I didn't enjoy how it looked like. But, It's not like the first time... but it’s still his chocolate abs." I tried to argue with myself. Honestly, It surprises me how he didn’t even wake up.

After that, I cooked some food in the kitchen.  His kitchen doesn’t have that much food. But it was a good thing there was rice, eggs and some seasonings. At least, I know I’m good with cooking because I’ve been living alone for quite a while now. I can finally show to that alien what else I can do. Determined and full of pride, I started to work on the food.

 

I was busily stirring the porridge when “Beep!” I heard the door open and someone entered the room. I stopped cooking and turned around. There it was, I saw Kim Soo Hyun’s manager. My eyes widened. Suddenly, our eyes met.

“Anyeong Haseyo.” I quickly bowed to him and he bowed back slightly.

“I think I’ve seen you before?” Kim Soo Hyun’s manager said.

“Ah, I’m from the SBS drama team. I’m an intern from Korean National University.” I said as I glanced on my back stove to see the food cooking.

“Continue what you’re doing.” The manager said as he sat on the couch on the living room and took out his phone.

“Ah Deh.” I looked back to the food that I was cooking and then looked for the bowls. I can feel the manager is looking at me. I don’t like this feeling. I can feel him judging me.

“The bowls are in the right most upper cabinet.” The manager said.

“Thank you for telling me that.” I hurriedly got the bowl and placed it on the tray. I went to the fridge and got a pitcher of water and then I reached for the glass in the counter. I turned  the stove off and got the pot. I started pouring the pot content in the bowl, then maybe because I was anxious, my body shaked a bit and some steaming hot porridge spilled on my the back of my hand. It’s not that big. Just near my thumb to my pointing finger, but it was painful. I tried to hide the pain and continued on what I’m doing. I carried the tray and proceeded to walking  towards the room.

“What’s your relationship with Kim Soo Hyun?” The manager asked while still sitting comfortably. I was stopped in my tracks.

“Ah, I’m his new f-friend.” I turned to the manager and answered. I bit my lip in worry. I don’t want to lose my internship, God please.

“I don’t believe Kim Soo Hyun has a lot of friends who come over to his house, especially a girl.” He said as he turned to look at me.

“Ah, it’s just that—” I tried to say something.

“How much do you need?” The manager asked me. I was surprised. I lost my balance for a bit and  I felt the back of my hand still in pain from the burn.

“Ah, no, you got it mistaken.” I shaked my head, trying to clear the situation.

“It’s not the first time that we do this in our stars. These things happen you know.” The manager said to me. Without batting an eye.

“It’s not like that. I’m just getting something and he was sick. I was supposed to be on my way.” I protested, but it was all in vain. The manager still looks unimpressed. "Please excuse me." I said as I turned my back on him.

I hurriedly made my way to Kim Soo Hyun-ssi’s room. I placed the tray on Kim Soo Hyun’s bedside table and rushed to his study table drawer. I looked for my ID and finally got it. I held on my ID tightly and sighed. "Am I really this low?"

I went to his bedside table again near the sleeping Soo Hyun.

“Ah this . What a your manager is.” I looked at him and bit my lip.  “As if this guy will even reply. Tsk. Why did I even get involved in this?"

I stared at my phone.

"I guess this will be it for us huh. I think we're even now. It's time for me to wake up." I said as I turned to Kim Soo Hyun. My eyes were downcast and I released a sigh.

"Good bye Kim Soo Hyun-ssi. Let's go back to being work mates. I’m sorry for all the trouble.” I bowed to him.

Making my decision, I reached for my phone. With one last look, I made sure that I didn't left anything and went out of this room.

I saw the manager and bowed to him, then without looking back, I went out of his condo unit.

“Beep” The door closed.