Greedy

Say Yes

Lee Jong Suk

When I was in high school, I became fond of dramas but it was because of Full House and my like for Rain that made me want to be an actor. With that dream buckled, I went to an acting school. I’ve always liked it there. They even encouraged me that I could become a great actor. There, I fell in love with acting,  but that was not the only reason why I liked going to that particular school. It’s because I also fell in love with a sunbae.

Tae Young Mi - she utterly was beautiful. Her face was small as a plate and her skin was pale and smooth. Tall, slender, good at acting and with a winning smile to top it off, it was all her. By far, she was the most graceful girl that I’ve met.

As beautiful as she is in my eyes, it was also the same for others. Even the acting coaches were courting her and because of that I got intimidated. I know I’m tall and frankly, as said by others, I’m good looking too. Girls like me and they confess to me first, but with Young Mi, I couldn’t approach her or talk to her. And with my introverted personality adding fuel to the fire, I shied away and continued to look at her from afar.

A month away from graduating, I was still head over heels for her. It was then that I decided to do something. One afternoon after our weekend class, I stealthily followed Young Mi sunbae while looking for the right moment. I didn’t know that she was going home back then, but as I hesitated and postponed my introduction, I realized that there were a lot of students in the area and that we were already in the vicinity of Korea National Arts University. She was studying around here while attending the same class.

I quickened my pace as I followed her in a down sloped road and went right inside a fairly old medium rise building with peach walls. I tried to follow her but a security guard appeared and blocked the entrance.

“Who are you visiting? What unit? And please log here first.” The security guard cooly said as he pointed his record book.

I blinked my eyes in surprise, “Ahjussi, ah. M-my friend... T-tae Young Mi-ssi... Uhh...” I stuttered as I tried to find words.

“I’m sorry, we can’t let you in. Security measures only. Please move to the side.” He said as he let the other group of girls in.They looked at me suspiciously. Confused, I took three steps backward.

“Yah, watch where you are going!” A female voice said.

I turned my head to look at that person and saw that I stepped on her foot. “I’m sorry.” I said as I glanced at the girl and bowed quickly. I strode to the side and walked away.

“It was my moment! I was following her quite a long way, why can’t I approach her. Aigoo...” I thought while being annoyed to myself. I felt thirsty, so I looked for a store and found one in the corner, a few blocks away from the residential building.

That was my failed first confession.

 

I was in between agencies and at that time, I was also training for an idol group which lasted briefly for 3 months. It was really busy back then so I couldn’t go back easily. Being a trainee was hard, then finally after a  month, on one sunny afternoon, I finally had free time to go back to Seokgwan-Dong’s University Area.

It took me a lot of self encouragement but this time I was so sure to ask the guard about Tae Young Mi. I was so sure to meet her.

But what came after hit me like a rock.

“Ahjussi, is Tae Young Mi there? I’m here to visit.”

“Tae Young Mi moved out a few days ago.” The security guard said.

“What? Where?” I asked.

“I thought you were his friend?”

“Yes I am from her acting classes. I’m just here to deliver something.” I said as an alibi.

He looked suspiciously and said, “She left for to the US.”

 

She left immediately after our acting classes. I wasn’t even able to say good bye. I didn’t even know if she would come back or even when. There’s so many questions in my head. I was defeated. My eyes were down and my back was slouched as I was walking around the area. Then I saw the store and sat outside for a moment. I placed my elbows on the plastic table and pressed on my forehead. I was dumbfounded as I was trying to make sense of what happened.

“If I wasn’t such a sissy. I... I could’ve at least talked to her.” I said to myself as I continued to cup the side of my forehead.

“Student, you’re in my spot.” It was a summer afternoon.

I squinted my eyes to see the girl standing against the sun while looking at me.

“Wait I know you.”The girl said.

“Excuse me?” I raised my brows.

“You were that big jerk in front of the dorm that didn’t even know how to apologize.” She said as she sat across from where I am.

My heart just got broken, I didn’t have the time or the energy to face her. So turned towards the side and away from her.

“Is it okay if I smoke?” The girl asked.

“Why is this girl talking to me? Do I know her?” These are my thoughts as I  glanced at her briefly and nodded. Then, I rested my elbows in my legs and sighed.

 I can feel her continuing to stare at me. The girl took her lighter and lit her cigarette. “Are you okay? You look down.” She asked in a weird korean-english accent way.

 I still didn’t budge.

“Do you want a cigarette? Drinks? Anything?” She continued to pester me. Again, I pretended not to hear.

“Can you hold my cig for a moment?” I shaked my head trying to say no. But she kept on leaning and dragging the cigarette to my hand. I was in training, I can’t smell like cigarette but she was so persistent that I just had no choice but to hold it.

The girl went in the store. Then in a minute she went out again with canned drinks.

“Coca-cola or beer? My treat.” She asked me to pick as she sat and raised the drinks. I looked at the girl while trying to decipher why she’s like this. Then, I took the beer that she was holding and opened it. I drank it bottoms up.

“Hulllllll... someone has a problem.” She said in a tease. Then I gave her the cigarette.

“Thanks. But, why were you in my dorm?” She asked.

I sighed, this girl is so persistent. I’ll probably not meet her again so I turned my body towards her way and answered. “Do you know Tae Young Mi?”

“Ah! Tae Young Mi! Yes, I’ve seen her around. She’s a school sunbae and a dorm mate. What’s up?” She opened the coke.

“Y-you know her?” My eyes widened, I can’t believe it.

“Duh, I just said it.” She rolled her eyes. “But I’ve heard she moved. Why? What’s up?”

“Ah, i-it’s...” I said as I drank a beer again.

“You like her?” She said. I was surprised.

“Ye-Yes." I cleared my throat "How did you know?”

“It’s written all over your face.” She said.

I explained to her what happened. And even though it’s a bit late, she agreed to help me.

“What’s your name?” I asked.

“Kim Mae Ri, film making freshman at Korean National University of Arts and you?” The girl replied as she held out her hand for a shake. Based from her action she’s a foreigner.

“You’re a freshman, why are you speaking informally?” I said as I accepted her hand shake. “I’m Lee Jong Suk, I just finished acting school with Tae Young Mi. Professional Motion Pictures graduate from South Korean Konkuk University.”

“We’re both in film making! That’s awesome! Teach me sometime.” She said in a loud voice as I smiled at her energetic remark. “As for me helping you, we can ask the dorm office for her email. Let’s say that you were her friend.”

“Okay, but why are you doing this?” I asked indiferrently.

She looked at her watch, “I have free time. And I’m feeling a bit of homesick.” Her eyes loitered and she looked grim all of a sudden.

Then Kim Mae Ri-ssi stood up and threw her cigarette and coke can in the trash. She turned to looked at me and said, “Let’s go?”

I examined this girl, she seemed to be a complete opposite of Tae Young Min. Should I trust her? But I didn’t have much of a choice, she’s my only lead. As I finally made up my mind, I stood up and followed her to her building.

 

 

“Jong Suk-ah, is this good on me?” Kim Mae Ri asked as I immediately sat upright and snapped from my nostalgia. She twirled her black dress. We were in a shop at Myeongdong. Thankfully, since it’s quite early, it’s not too crowded in the area.

“Hmm.” I briefly lifted my shades to see a better look. “I liked the simpler one better, this one's too ruffled.” I said.

Kim Mae Ri pouted. “O-kay.” She said as she gestured an okay sign. “We’ll take the other dress.” She said to the saleslady. Then she went to the cashier. I sat in the chair. I fixed my cap, shades and scraf while waiting for her to finish.

After a few minutes, Kim Mae Ri approached me.

“Thank you for coming with me here Jong Suk. I know you were busy but I didn’t really know here in Myeongdong since I barely shop, and I’ve been really busy researching so I wasn’t able to go out. And I -”

“It’s fine.” I touched her hair and ruffled it a little.

“Aish, stop messing with my hair.” She playfully hits my hand. “I’ll see you tomorrow for the party.”

“Yes, see you. I’ll become a handsome . I’ll even go to the gym again today.”

“Yes yes, work on those abs. And no, you’re not my , I’m actually your pimp.” Kim Mae Ri said jokingly as she winked at me. “Get ready.”

“Come here, let me bite you again.” I grinned as I quickly reached for her arm. Kim Mae Ri teased cheerfully as she continued to circle around to evade me.

 

 

 

As for the continuation of my story,

Kim Mae Ri was the one who helped me get in touch with Tae Young Mi. We got her email from the office. Young Mi and I exchanged a few emails but she suddenly stopped replying, so everything kind of faded out. It also became hard, but it was a bit better since I could finally open this cheesy side of mine to another person. But what's important is I did confess. After months of looking from afar, I finally was able to confess. Though it’s not face to face, at least I got the chance to say it. And I had Kim Mae Ri to thank for that.

After the incident, we exchanged numbers. Originally, it was because she wanted to know more about the industry. But after that, we just kind of went out for drinks and/or coffee. We talked about school, Tae Young Mi, her ex-boyfriend and lots of other random stuff.

It was sudden, but I actually gained a friend – a treasured friend.

A very very special friend.

 

I wanted to keep our relationship like this for a very long time.

Open, cheerful and honest.

But, the more I see her... The more I wanted... The more I get greedy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author’s note:

Say hello to Lee Jong Suk POV! Finally we get to see how he feels and think. Because I love Lee Jong Suk, I wanted you guys to get to know him and feel for him. This is why I’m introducing his motives and thoughts of why he is like the Lee Jong suk in this story.

It’s true that Lee Jong Suk loves full house, went into idol traning in SM, acting school and South Korean Konkuk University (a very good uni, 21k people takes the test and only 5k passes on an average).

I’m excited for the next chapters. Thank you for always commenting guys. It really gives me the push to work hard. Thank you. *internet hug*