Good Start

Say Yes

Kim Mae Ri

Brrt Brrrrrrrrrrrrt

“Mae Ri, answer your phone. It’s been like that for an hour. It’s vibrating non-stop.” Jinri distantly looked at the phone, “I think it’s something important, you should get it.”

I raised my brows and gave my phone a glassy stare, “Just ignore it.” I said as I immediately took my shot of soju. I quickly took the bottle and poured my friends some more drinks, “Let’s drink more!”

“Is she always like this? Does she always drink this much?” Jinri asked Jong Suk.

Jong Suk gave an amused smile, “She does drink much. But today seems a bit extra too much.” He glanced at the round of bottles next to me and turned towards me, “Are you really that tensed over the job Mae Ri? Can I help you?”

I looked at him and gave a somehow forced smile, “Don’t worry, I’m going to do my best whatever happens.” The phone vibration stopped.

I’m with Jinri and Jong Suk in a barbecue house we saw on our way home. We’re in our mini celebration for our first real job ever. And it’s the first time that Jinri comes to drink with us. It’s all a reason to celebrate! I will not be bothered by anything. It’s a good day nonetheless.

Suddenly my phone vibrated again. I bit my lips and shut my eyes tightly as I feel the patience all flowing out of me. Feeling like bursting, I snatched my phone immediately, there were fifteen missed calls. Eight were from Kim Soo Hyun and the other seven was from an unknown number. I got somewhat curious and answered the call.

“Yah!!” My voice cracked. So much for not being worked up. Jong Suk and Jinri looked surprised. “Stop calling me whoever you are!”

“Kim Mae Ri! It’s me.” It was Kim Soo Hyun’s voice.

“Why are you using another number?!” I exclaimed.

“Where are you?”

“I’m drinking with my friends! Why are you bothering me?!” My voice was still in a hoarse and high pitched tone.

“Yah, calm down while I’m still being nice. Where are you?” Kim Soo Hyun said, I can feel his temperament over the phone.

“I’m in Haengun BBQ in Seoungbuk-dong! Are you happy!?”

“Stay there.” Kim Soo Hyun said.

“Yah! Why should I listen to you?” Nobody was answering anymore. “Yah!” I looked at my phone and saw that Kim Soo Hyun already ended the call. I sneered at my phone. “Aish, what a rude person.”

“Well you are too.”Jinri said. “Why are you acting like that?”

I shaked my head as I gave a sigh, why am I acting like a child. I took my glass and drank myself another soju shot. I was starting to pour another round but Jong Suk suddenly held my arm and stopped me. I looked at him.

“Mae Ri, wait for us. Don’t get too drunk.” Jong Suk said,

“He’s right Mae Ri. You’ve promised me that you won’t get drunk.” Jinri said as she pouted.

I inhaled and exhaled, “I’m sorry. I guess I really was pressured with... stuff.” My eyes were downcast, “But, it’s not because of anyone of you. So please don’t think of it that way. You guys are awesome.”

“We’re here to unwind so let’s all raise our glass.” Jong Suk said as me and Jong Suk raised our glass.

“Jinri, it’s time for you to drink too.” I laughed at my friend, “You’ve been eating since an hour ago. Drink up.”

“O-ookay...” Jinri took her glass and raised hers too.

“Welcome to our night getaways Jinri! Cheers!” We clinked our glasses together and drank.

“This tastes so bad. How can you like this?” Jinri looked horrified at the drink.

“It gets better.” I encouraged her and let out an entertained smile. I looked at Jong Suk and he seemed entertained too. “Jong Suk-ah, thanks again for this project. We won’t let you down or else I’ll put our nightly getaways on the line.”

“Don’t get pressured.” Jong Suk smiled at me again. “Try to eat too.” He gave me a bite of cooked meat from the grill and I obediently ate it.

“Aigoooooo. Are you always like this?” Jinri teasingly smiled from ear to ear while looking at the both of us.

Jong Suk gave a laugh. I looked at him laughing like that and felt my face warm up.

“No, we’re not like that!” I raised my hands and shaked it violently. “I know Jong Suk’s type and I’m totally not that person. So it’s not like that. Really!” Jong Suk suddenly stopped laughing.

“Are you sureeee?” Jinri asked the both of us with her brows raised.

 “Yeah! Jong Suk’s type were elegant and beautiful women. So Jinri, if you know anyone, let’s help him find a girlfriend.” I nudged Jinri’s arm beside me.

“Wait, I’m not agreeing to that just yet.” Jong Suk sounded serious. He looked at me with a pair of straight and unwavering eyes. My mouth hung in surprise, as I try to bite my lip and stop it from doing that. But I can’t, I was caught off-guard.

Suddenly my mind was diverted thanks to a person who suddenly came and stood at the end of our table without even a greeting. We didn’t know him, he was in a black mask and a gray hoodie. Our brows raised as we looked at him suspiciously.

“Excuse me? Who are you?” I asked. After a few seconds of looking closely at the person, I immediately recognized those slanted eyes. I knew who he was. At the same time, he removed his mask and tried to hide his face from the side awkwardly.

“What are you doing here!” I exclaimed.

“Eeep!” Jinri stood up and released a very surprised squeal. She shakingly pointed at the person standing in front of her. “Kim Soo-!” Suddenly some of the crowd looked at us. I looked at Jinri and kicked her shin to signal her about the people. I shaked my head violently. I saw Lee Jong Suk and his brows curled as he saw Kim Soo Hyun.

“Ah- no- it’s- Kim Soo MIN.” Jinri tried to think straight. Then she looked at me and leaned in, “Mae Ri! Why is he here?”

“Kim Mae Ri and I were supposed to have a drink today.” Kim Soo Hyun looked at each of us. Then he paused at Lee Jong Suk as the two of them gave a small cold stare-off.

“Ah so you and Mae Ri know each other?” Though fidgetty, Jinri tried to moved over to the side. “Sit with her.” She gestured her hand to the empty seat beside me. Then, she sat beside Jong Suk.

Kim Soo Hyun sat beside me. Lee Jong Suk kept his eyes glued on him.

“Who are you to be here and sit with us?” I crossed my hands and coldly looked at this guy.

Kim Soo Hyun just stared at me. I took a meat from the grill and ate  it. “We were supposed to have a drink and you’re not answering my calls.”

“Yahhh, what are you two? Is he your new boyfriend?” Jinri asked. In my surprise, I felt my food went up and started to choke me. I struggingly coughed and gestured for water with my hands. Jinri was in a panic.

Kim Soo Hyun immediately took Jinri’s water glass and gave it to me. Then he rubbed my back as I try to drink the blockage out. Jong Suk shoulders sunk. He was supposed to hand me a glass of water but Kim Soo Hyun was fast.

Jong Suk was silent for a moment. Then he cleared his throat to ease the awkwardness.

“Jinri, It’s nothing like that Kim Soo Hyun is an acquiantance.” I said as I try to explain myself while regulating my breathing.

“After helping you like that I’m only an acquiantance?” Kim Soo Hyun looked at me and scoffed. Then he turned to Jinri, “No, we’re close.”

“Close... what?” Jinri asked.

“Friends?” Kim Soo Hyun replied as he looked at me sheepishly.

“Friends.” I said with conviction.

“Hulll... really?” Jirni gave us a smirk again, “You and I need to talk Mae Ri. You have a lot of things to tell me.” She gave a sly laugh.

“Yah! Jinri, first it’s Jong Suk now this guy!” I complained to her.

“Mae Ri, it’s the chemistry. I can see the chemistry!” Jinri argued. She really looked into it. “By the way, Jong Suk, do you know each other?”

Jong Suk fixed the way he sat and leaned on the table, “Yes we know each other. We’ve been together in a photoshoot.” Then he looked at Kim Soo Hyun, “It’s Ceci right?”

“Yes, it is. With Jung So Min way back 2011.” Kim Soo Hyun said as he returned Jong Suk’s stare.

“We were not yet this famous back then.” Lee Jong Suk added.

“But you got linked with Jung So Min right?” Kim Soo Hyun directed the question to Lee Jong Suk. We were just listening to them attentively.

Lee Jong Suk looked blankly at Kim Soo Hyun and said, “So we’re talking about gossips and scandals now?”

“Guys, cut it out.” I said as I tried to relieve the cold atmosphere. “I know it has been rough, but... let’s try to not ruin the night and be friendly.”

“What happened?” Jinri asked.

“I promise I’ll tell you tomorrow Jinri. I’m sorry.” I asked for my friend’s understanding.

“Lee Jong Suk... you’re acting was good in I Hear Your Voice. I’m looking forward to working with you.” Kim Soo Hyun said to Lee Jong Suk.

Lee Jong Suk was surprised, “You’re not so bad either in My Love from the Stars. Congratulations on the Daesang.”

“Finally something you guys would agree on – acting and work.” I told them. And they both gave a smirk. I guess there is still hope for them to mend the misunderstandings.

“Shall we all have a cheers?” I said while trying to lighten up the mood. We asked the waiter for another glass and gave it to Kim Soo Hyun. Then we poured another round of drinks and raised our glass.

“For new friends and to the success of ‘The Brightest’!” We said in chorus.

“By the way, Lee Jong Suk and Kim Soo Hyun I’m both of your fan. Can you please give me an autograph and a selfie juseyo?” Jinri asked cutely.

Oh the night was a riot, Kim Soo Hyun and Jong Suk seemed aloof but it’s a good place to start and get along. We tried to talk, drink and get to know each other better. And I was really glad that Jinri’s here, it's good to know that somebody here is not part of that night. I’m already upset and all because these two guys are in a civil war. So truthfully, I won’t know what I’ll do without her.