I like it

Say Yes

Kim Mae Ri

Today is the last day of me working with the camera crew. Next week will be my last week of OJT and I’ll be assigned to help the set designers. It’s actually a good system since we get to experience almost all of the roles in a production team.

“Intern Kim!” The gaffer (camera tech assistant) called and handed me the big extension cord.

“Deh.” I said. While carrying the extension I walked over to the leftmost side.

We’re in the house in Hongdae again. It’s a 2-storey house that is painted with warm colors and feels very homey with a wooden accented interior. The actors were upstairs in another room memorizing their scripts while doing their make up and wardrobe. Downstairs, the production team are setting up the cameras and lighting for the set location. This morning, we’ll be shooting a drama scene then a kiss scene both in the living room with Kim Soo Hyun and the lead female. 

“Okay everyone! We’ll start in 2 minutes. PA! Call the actors.” The Assistant Director announced.

“Yes AD!” One of my fellow PA girls said as she hurriedly went to the actors dressing’ room.

Everyone was pacing frantically and busily setting up the cameras while the director sits on his chair. He starts reviewing the script while alternately discussing some things with the Assistant Director. I, on another hand, is just standing behind the close-up camera and carrying all the lenses in a bag.

Then the actors came. Kim Soo Hyun is first up for his solo crying scene. Honestly, most kDramas that I’ve watched all have that scene where the lead actor just remembers everything in a series of flashbacks and wallows in sorrow. I guess this scene is about that.

Kim Soo Hyun came out with his manager, I looked at them coming to set. The manager stood at the right back side. He looked at the crew and saw me. Our eyes met, and I gave a slight bow. And he nodded. I looked away immediately to avoid anymore awkwardness. “Stay focused Mae Ri.” I said to myself as I bit my lip.

Kim Soo Hyun enters the set and sits on the soft couch. The camera crew were fixing their shots. For one more time Kim Soo Hyun reads the script. Then he hides it in the pillow beside him. His eyes were bleak and his hands clasped.

“It looks like he’s already in his role.” I whispered to myself while being in complete awe. I tilted my head in wonder. “This guy is a big plump of emotions.” I thought.

“Stand by.” The assistant director said.

“Standing by.” The camera and audio team said in chorus.

“Quiet on the set! Cameras! ” The assistant director exclaimed.

“Rolling!” The cameras replied as they pressed their camera record buttons.

“Audio!” The assistant director once again said in a loud voice.

“Sound speed!” The sound recording crew replied and pressed record on their mics. I stayed quiet and stopped moving. A little noise could easily distract the actors and ruin the sound.

 

The clapper appeared and said “Sc. 81 Take 1!”

“Action!” The director announced. Suddenly, everything was silent everyone was focused on the actor.

Kim Soo Hyun’s eyes were downcast. With tired eyes, he looked up but his body was in a slump and his shoulders falling. He stared at the blank wall. A display of a hopeless person, whose remembering all the good times that he can never return to.

I looked at the camera register of his close up. Then his eyes started to swell and tears were forming in both of his eyes. “This guy is good.” I thought to myself.

He gulped back the tears, trying to stop it. Then he curled his brows and his body started to shake. He covered his mouth as if trying to stop every sound that he could make, unsuccessfully he released a silent whimper. His tears flowed. Unable to stop it anymore, he succumbed to the sadness.

For a few minutes, the whole room was silent. It was only Kim Soo Hyun’s silent whimpers that surrounds the dimly lit room.

The director started to count with his fingers, 5-4-3-2-1 “Cut! Good take! Excellent!”

I snapped from my emotions. I found myself with tears welling up in my eyes.

“That was amazing.” My fellow male PA intern standing beside me said.

I looked around and saw some crew are quite emotional too. I guess this is the magic of being on set. You can see the characters and feel for them. Even if you’re just there – watching.

“That was great! Good job Kim Soo Hyun!” The director praised the actor. And the majority of the crew were clapping with the director.

Kim Soo Hyun was still in his character. He breath in and out repeatedly and wiped his tears. He looked to the director and smiled.

“Thank you Sir.” He said as he stood up and bowed to everybody. “Thank you everyone.” He added. I was still frozen and my eyes are still fixed on the actor. His eyes roamed around the room. Our eyes met. I gasped as I blinked in surprise and quickly averted my gaze. I was caught off-guard and it was embarassing for me admit that I’m this affected by his acting.

The director was watching the clips for all the cameras. And in decision he said, “Okay, we’re good on this take. Get ready for the next scene.” With that, Kim Soo Hyun got his script and went to his manager’s side. He started looking at the script while the crew immediately moved around while discussing the next scene. We got our paper guide lists and moved the lights and cameras according to the shot. But even with this fast-paced job, I can still feel the amazement and sorrow the character that Kim Soo Hyun portrayed in the last scene.

“Intern Kim, can you please move this light in there.” The director of photography said as he points on the far-most right side.

“Yes sir.” Without hesitation, I picked up the stand with the redhead yellow light and went to the far right side.  It was heavy but it was okay, I can handle it. I dropped the stand and shaked the dust off my palm. I was looking around to see further instructions when I saw Kim Soo Hyun holding the script while looking at me.

“Gah, can you please stop looking at me.” I bit my lip as I pretended not to notice.

“Kim Mae Ri-ssi” The camera man asked.

“Deh?” I looked at who was calling and attentively replied.

“Give me a 70-200mm lens.” The camera man said as I immediately ran off to the other side of the room to assist him. I got the big- lens from the camera bag and gave it immediately to the camera man. I just stayed there, while observing how he was tinkering with the camera.

“Okay, finish setting up! We’ll start in 5 minutes! Please call the actress.” The assistant director said again.

In a few minutes, the lead actress came down. She bowed to the crew and went to Soo Hyun’s side. They were talking and consulting with each other while holding the script. Kim Soo Hyun is again displaying his smiley smiley happy face and the girl did too. Honestly, they look good. They have that chemistry and they’re just shining.

“They suit together. Don’t they?” The camera man said as he saw me staring at them.

“Ah deh.” I quickly turned my head replied to him. “Tch, it’s a kiss scene. He must be enjoying himself.” I thought to myself as I pouted and shrugged.

The actors went in set. Kim Soo Hyun and the female lead were rehearsing a bit.

“Stand by. Ready to shoot.” The assistant director called. The actors were alert.

“Standing by.” The production crew said.

“Cameras! Audio” The assistant director said.

“Rolling! Sound speed!” The crew said to signal that they’re ready.

The clapper went in front of the camera, “Sc. 96 Take 1”

“5-4-3-2 Action!” The director exclaimed as it echoes to the whole room. Then there was silence. Kim Soo Hyun’s back was facing his lead actress.

“How can you do this to me! I waited for you that day!”  The lead actress exclaimed with her eyes full of misery.

“I... I was just playing with you. I didn’t know you’d take it easily.” Kim Soo Hyun replied, hiding his eyes and giving a faint smirk.

The lead actress was stunned. She stepped forward. “What do you even take me for?”

“Everything was a lie.” Kim Soo Hyun said, his eyes are now visible and sullen.

“Look at me!” She pounded her palms on her chest. Kim Soo Hyun’s eyes blinked and he clenched his fists.

“I... I dont understand." The actress took at step back. If you don’t look at me now, I- I’m leaving.” The actress said as she looked down.

Kim Soo Hyun swallowed all his fear and turned to look at her. The lead actress looked at him with teary eyes. He really wanted to see her. Once their eyes met, he knew that he would regret it. 

As for me, It was heartwarming and my eyes were focused on the scene.

Kim Soo Hyun pulled the girl closer to him and kissed her. Then in surrender, they closed their eyes and continued to kiss. I was so engrossed on the scene, but suddenly, Kim Soo Hyun’s eyes opened while kissing the girl and our eyes met. My eyes widened and I took a step back.

“Cut!”  The director said and the actors stopped kissing and distanced themselves from each other. “What happened Soo Hyun-ssi?” He asked.

“Ah, I’m sorry.” Kim Soo Hyun said as he shook his head and moved his jaws trying to compose himself. He faced his co-actor, “I’m sorry.” He continually apologized.

“It’s fine.” His female co-actor replied and smiled sweetly. Kim Soo Hyun returned with an apologetic smile too.

He then looked at my way and scoffed.

“Yah, what did I do?” I silently mouthed these words to him. Then he annoyingly grit his teeth while curling his eyebrows and looked away as if everything was my fault.

“Okay everybody. Let’s do another take. From the start.” The assistant director said.

“Yes!” The production crew collectively replied.

 

 

Finally! After 12 hours of painstakingly long sequences, the shoot was over for the day. We were done packing the equipments and I was now fixing my stuff in the crew table with the other interns. Then some of the crew members went in and said goodbye to us. We bowed in response to them.

“Hey, do you want to get dinner?” The one of girl interns said.

“Me?” I said, It was my first time to go out with my fellow interns. Happily, I turned my head to them.

“Sure, let’s go to that new restaurant just a few blocks away!” One of the girls replied. The two girls were facing each other. Disappointed, I pouted my lips as I noticed that they weren’t inviting me in anyway and quietly went back to fixing my things.

These things always happen. Since I’m a foreign student in a scholarship, people are usually intimidated by me. Maybe they just didn't know how to approach me, or is it just me? Am I just being weird? As for me, I don’t even know how to relate with most of the people. I don’t even know about the whole language yet, though I talk in some casual conversations fluently. I know I watch dramas, but when you’re in there actually exposing yourself to the culture, it’s different. Culture-shocked as some would call it. Plus people think that I’m some kind of delinquent, since I tend to smoke and drink a lot. Well, I can’t control the people and their prejudices. I sighed. But... there are some nice ones, like Lee Jong Suk and Choi Jinri. That thought gave me a boost of confidence.

The only male intern said his goodbye. “We did great guys.” He went on his way and bowed to us. I smiled at him at he smiled back. I don’t know if it’s to be sad for, but I usually get along with guys more. For the second time, I sighed.

I was feeling a bit sore so I stretched my back and moved my shoulders. Then the actors came with their managers and said their goodbyes to us. I turned around and bowed to them. Then I continued with my stretching.

Kim Soo Hyun came out, he was with his manager. They were talking but when Kim Soo Hyun saw us, interns, he whispered something to his manager then the manager took a last glance at all of us and went on his way out.

“An-anyeong haseyo Kim Soo Hyun-ssi.” The group of intern girls saw him.

As I was stretching, I curled my eyebrows and for the third time sighed.

“Kim Mae Ri-ssi.” A familiar voice called.

“Dehhh?” I said as I turned to face him. I awkwardly put on a fake smile. With him approaching me like this, the other girls will surely be intimidated and even lessening the chance of me hanging out with them.

“Can you please help me with something?” He asked with a natural smile on his face.

“Tch, you’re truly an actor.”  I whispered to myself.

“What?” Kim Soo Hyun asked while raising his eyebrow.

“Ah, nothing. Sure, I’ll help you.” I said as I rolled my eyes. I went with Kim Soo Hyun and followed him to the other room. When we’re finally alone, we faced each other. There was a small silence.

“What?” I asked. Kim Soo Hyun’s eyes were looking up and down. “If you don’t need me, I’ll go. It’s late.” I added.

“A-Ahem.” Kim Soo Hyun coughed. “I... Uh...”

“Whattttttttttt?!” I said with a growing impatience tone.

“Thank you. For... last evening.” He shyly said while looking away.

“For sleeping with you?!” I blurted out. In a slight panic, I looked around for a sign of anybody. Thank God there was no one here.

“No, not that. For taking care of me.” Kim Soo Hyun said as he glanced at me.

“Ah.”

“Sincerely, thank you.” His eyes were fixed on me.

“Sure...” I said as I averted my gaze. I couldn’t look at him. I raised my left hand to rub my forehead while casually covering my eyes. “This is embarassing, where’s the annoying Soo Hyun. And I wasn’t even planning on talking to him.” I thought.

“Kim Mae Ri-ssi. Why is your hand like that?” Kim Soo Hyun asked as he saw my hand.

“It’s nothing.” I quickly moved my hands down as I suddenly remembered the burn from his porridge.

“Are you really this clumsy?” He asked while smirking.

“Yah. I am not clumsy. This is because of you-” I gasped. I wasn’t supposed to say that.

“Me? Pft. Why blame your clumsiness on me?” He scoffed as he took my hand and held my wrist. “Why isn’t this even covered in a bandage? Is this even treated?”

“I’m fine. I can handle this.” I said as I took my hand away from him.

“If this is really because of me, then I should at least feel responsible.”

“Are you even sure that it's you? You don’t have to be thoughtful you know. I already know you’re rotten to the core.” I said with a mocking laugh.

“Where’s the first aid kit? There should be one here right? For the shoot?” He ignored my remarked. The alien sounded genuinely concerned.

“Well, it’s upstairs. In the cabinet in the dressing room.” I said while looking down.

“Wait here. You’re done if you leave.” Kim Soo Hyun threatened as he rushed upstairs. I didn’t know what to do. I guess I just followed what he said.

After a few seconds he came back with the first aid kit. He dragged me to the living room couch and we sat beside each other with Kim Soo Hyun’s body facing me. He got the first aid kit and started to get the medicine solution and put some in the cotton.

“Yah, are you sure you know this stuff?” I said to him.

“I’ve been to enough shoots to know this. You do know that some of you get burnt?” He said as he continued to rub my burn with the cotton.

“Of course I do. Those lights are hot you know.” I said, trying to sound knowledgable.

He laughed a bit. “Does it sting?” He asked.

“No, I’m good.” I replied. He then got the bandage and started to wrap it on my burn.

There was silence. It was dim but my eyes were unsettled and all over the place. I kept on tapping my finger against the couch. This is the same spot where he was shooting and kissing the lead actress.

“You must’ve enjoyed kissing your leading lady.” I gasped and bit my lip. Why did I say that. Kim Soo Hyun laughed again. “Yah, stop laughing! Am I a big joke?” I protested.

“No it’s just that you’re funny.” He said as he continued to wrap the bandage. “I’m used to it. But of course, it’s a bonus that they’re very beautiful girls.”

I laughed.

For the first time, we’re having a long and decent conversation. Looking at him like this, carefully treating my burn. It feels like he wasn’t that bad of a person.

Unknowingly, I smiled warmly at him.

“I like it.” I thought to myself.