The Invitation

Say Yes

Kim Mae Ri.

During the next shooting days, I worked with the set designers. I was still on set but I was so firm on my decision to think of Kim Soo Hyun only as a workmate. As much as I could, I avoided any form of contact with him. Besides, my final exams were coming and I can’t fail this. I’m already graduating. After years of scholarship, I’m not going to fail this just because of some petty problem.

I don’t know about Kim Soo Hyun but he probably is still going out with Suzy. Lee Jong Suk and I still drink from time to time. And I finished my internship. I guess everything kinda fell on it’s righteous place.

 

Kim Soo Hyun.

After another week, the internships ended and after another week the drama finally ended shooting. We had a small dinner for the last day of shoot but without the interns. I heard from my manager that it’s because the students are studying for exams and graduating.

It was night time. But I’m here in the Seoul Forest park having a night time jog. I need to keep myself fit, both for my job and for myself. And a late night jog does the trick. There’s not much people and it’s not too hot. It’s not also that dangerous since Mr. Shin, my trusted bodyguard is just around the corner. He just got back from work since the birth of his son.

It’s good that I’m still quite free since I don’t have any dramas coming up. I also needed this jog to think. Actually, when I have problems, I tend to cycle, rock climb, skii, go diving or bowling just to vent. I guess something is also bothering me lately.

Well, I’m still not okay with Suzy. But I don’t have the heart to tell her what’s wrong. We still go out. But... I just can’t bear to say it. I dread to see that she would choose Sung Joon rather than me – who has been with her for so long. But, this past few days, my mind has been preoccupied with Kim Mae Ri-ssi. At first, I can’t believe it. But since the last time that we’ve talked in Hongdae, I’ve been thinking about her and what she said. But... we've already decided to not meet again, specially that I'm still with Suzy. “Could it be?! No... impossible.” I thought and shaked my head. I bit my lip as I sprinted fast and turned up the music in my iPhone hoping that all the thoughts will go away.

After a kilometer of run, I sat on a bench and had a drink. I was panting and sweating. Some people are also jogging at night. Two girls saw me and they squealed a little. I bowed to them as respect. Honestly, I’m a star. Why would a silly intern get in my head. Then, I reached for my phone and opened my SNS account.

I was browsing on my news feed, I saw my mom’s food pictures. My mom and my dad went fishing. I was a bit jealous, I wanted to be with them but I still have to go to the agency and discuss further plans and advertising contracts. Then on the next post, I saw Kim Mae Ri-ssi, speak of the devil. By the way, I added her back then. I didn’t know when did she confirmed it though. When she lost her phone, I kinda saw that she had an SNS account because there was a notification in her phone. So I added her but my SNS account is a private one. I can only add others but they can’t add me back. And my profile photo and name is different but with a hint of my name.

Anyway, Kim Mae Ri-ssi took a selfie... with a guy, just an hour ago. But I can’t see the guy’s face because half of this guy’s face was covered with his black cap. All that I can make out clearly was Kim Mae Ri-ssi’s wide grin.

“Tsk, that was fast. She looked happy. I thought she had guy problems. Maybe she got back together with the guy she was crying about.” I thought to myself as I gave a sardonic and disapproving laugh. Here I am thinking about this girl then she just takes off with some guy.

I looked at the photo closely, why does that smile seem familiar? I think I’ve seen him somewhere. I shrugged the thought. “Tsk, if this was the case, then I should at least call her to confirm and maybe congratulate her.” I said to myself.

I looked at my contacts and looked for her name on my phone, “Bad Luck”. Actually, I asked my Manager Yoo for her number. I didn’t know why I took it, really. I was hesistating whether I should call her, but I’m calling on good tidings right? Right? Deciding, I pressed call.

RINGGGG. I waited for someone to answer the phone.

RINGGGG. RINGGG. RINGGG. My eyes loitered around the area and I was tapping my fingers on the bench.

The phone was answered.

“Kim Mae Ri-ssi?” I asked.

Yoboseyo?” The phone was answered. It was a guys voice.

“Anyeonghaseyo, is this Kim Mae Ri-ssi’s phone?” I politely asked.

“Yes, she just went to the bathroom. I can take a message.” The guy over the phone said.

“Just tell her Kim Soo Hyun called. Thanks.” I said as I hung up the phone.

I breathe in and out. “So she was truly with a guy.” I thought to myself.

That guy’s voice seems awfully familiar. Feeling somewhat defeated, I took all my things and walked to my car.

 

 

Kim Mae Ri


“Cheers!” Lee Jong Suk and I cheered as we drank our soju.

We’re currently celebrating the end of the final exams and the end of college in our favorite pojangmacha in Namdaemun Market. The food cart isn’t too crowded since it’s already 10pm and it’s fairly noisy.

“Finally! After years of studying! Now, I’m just gonna wait for graduation.” I said to Lee Jong Suk.

“Welcome to real world Mae Ri.” Lee Jong Suk said to me as he wrapped a pork belly.

“Wait here Jong Suk-ah. I’m just going to the washroom. Please look at my things for me.” I said as I stood and  smiled to him.

“Wait Mae Ri-ah.” I turned to him and he gave me the wrapped pork belly. I ate it happily and went on my way. He smiled at me.

 

After I got out of the bathroom, I went back to the table. I saw Lee Jong Suk staring and holding my phone. I got seated and took a bite of ddukbokki.

“Jong Suk-ah, what’s wrong? Why are you staring at my phone?” I asked Jong Suk. He blinked then looked at me. He seemed weird.

“N-Nothing. Here’s your phone.” Jong Suk said as he handed me my phone. I pouted because it seemed like something is wrong and he’s not telling me. Tch.

Lee Jong Suk cleared his throat. “So what’s your plan Mae Ri? After school and all. Are you staying here in Korea?” He asked.

“Well, yeah. I think so. So before graduation, I need to find a job. I’m going all out on interviews by next week.” I replied to Jong Suk as I poured myself a shot.

“That’s good. Find one fast or you’ll get deported.”

“Of course, and you’re going to help me right? You’re going to help me find a career and a boyfriend?” I said to Lee Jong Suk as I playfully tapped his black cap.

He laughed and said, “Well, I’ll do my best. I’ll be your subsitute boyfriend in the meantime.”

“A subsitute?” I laughed too, “You shouldn’t put yourself down like that. You’re very handsome. Aigoo... you should really meet new girls. I’ll help you.”

He slyly smiled at me and said, "Come here."

I raised my eyebrows. " What is it?"

"Just come here." He said stubbornly and he raised his hands to signal me to come.

I leaned towards him. Then when my face was close to him, he leaned in and bit my cheeks.

"Yah! Why did you do that?!" I exclaimed. I was taken aback in surprise. He bit me. "What planet are you from that you just go on biting other's cheeks." I added.

“That's for giving me away." He wrapped another pork belly and gave it to me. "Here, just eat and don’t think about nonsense.” I ate it happily while touching my cheek and appeasing the pain from his bite.

"I have a weird friend." I said to him. My attention was diverted when my phone vibrated, someone sent me a message. I got my phone and typed in the password. I opened the message and read it.

Hi Production Team! I’m cordially inviting you to the after drama and thank you party of SBS’s drama ‘Together’ this upcoming Thursday, 7:00pm at B. One Lounge Bar. Please reply to this LINE message with your RSVPs. We can only accomodate a +1. Thank you.
Lee Chae Rin, SBS Production Manager
1 min ago


“Jong Suk-ah! I know where you can meet girls!” I stood up as excitingly said to Lee Jong Suk. Then I replied to the the Production Manager’s message.

“What is it?” Lee Jong suk asked,

“It’s the drama that I worked as an intern. They’re having party and I just replied that I’m coming with a friend.” I said cheerfully.

“Bwoh? What drama is that again? Is it ‘Together’?” Lee Jong Suk raised his eyebrows and asked.

“Yes! Yes! That drama! I’ll introduce you to some of the interns and to the other coordinator and stylist noonas. They’re very nice and pretty you know.” I said with conviction.

“You don’t need to do that Mae Ri.” He smiled at me and ruffled my hair. “But you’ll be there so I’ll come with you.”

“C’mon just try it. Though It’s been a while since I last saw them. Hmm. I know! I’ll probably start my job search in that party. And you just said that you’ll come. So no back outs okay?” I exclaimed as I smiled at my friend.

"Okay no backouts." Lee Jong Suk said.

"Pinky promise?" I said as I raised my pinky finger.

"Promise." He raised his pinky finger and locked with mine in a promise. We looked at each other and grinned.

"To more jobs!” We raised our glass and drank our shots.

My thoughts were full of school, job and career choices these days that I forgot whose drama that I’m going to.