Prologue

Saudade

It was yet another tranquil winter night with only the sound of raindrops that fell softly from the starless sky above. The streets could’ve been easily mistaken for a graveyard with their lack of light and complete quietness. They were nearly deserted except for a few cars that passed by every now and then. The scent of the freshly washed pavements filled the place and brought peacefulness to the soul, and the night couldn’t possibly be more beautiful with its serenity.

A barely audible sound of soft music emitted from the radio, and they both tried to be soothed by its harmony. It was past midnight, yet they were seated inside of the car after Krystal’s call. Her late call surprised him, and her urgent request into meeting him only increased his worries. He tried to persuade her into giving him any hint, but she ended the call quickly before giving in. She knew that her words couldn’t be spoken through the phone for she selfishly wanted to see his reaction.

His head ached from all the thoughts and questions that increased with every second that passed by. He impatiently gazed at her and tried to fathom her intentions, but it was useless for she stayed expressionless. Yes, he sensed her nervousness, but it didn’t reveal anything. He hated his helplessness and cluelessness and hated that he was scared. He was scared because he knew that he won’t be given any more chances, and that this will be her final decision.

He was terrified of the idea of failing because he didn’t want to lose her. As cheesy as this might sound, he couldn’t imagine his life without her for he only saw darkness. He was desperate, he must admit. But loving her was inevitable. With her graceful charm, she would affect you and leave you in a mess with the her absence. She was like a poisoned drug, he concluded, one that you’re always craving for and never satiated with the way it gradually crumbles you down into ruins.

He knew that right now, he looked so vulnerable, but he didn’t care. He only cared about hearing her next words that would change both of their lives forever, and to know whether it’ll be for better or for worse. He prayed with all his heart for this night to be carved forever in his mind for being one filled with joy.

He kept staring at her waiting for her to utter anything to calm him down a bit, but the time only ticked by in complete reticence. He was getting frustrated, and he was sure that he couldn’t bear this silence anymore. He wanted to take the initiative and say something, but then he remembered that he’d been saying so much lately until he eventually concluded that his words weren’t as effective as he wanted them to be, and this thought managed to keep his mouth shut.

He’d been waiting for so long, and his self-confidence had been gradually diminishing into nothingness. Lately, he felt like his flaws had been zoomed-in for he felt so insecure about everything he did for her. He tried to calm down a bit, he’d waited already for long; surely he could wait for few more minutes, couldn’t he? He doubted it though for he knew that he was on the brink of losing his patience, and he feared that he’d eventually ruin everything by blurting something out. The torture that he’d gone through all this time wasn’t comparable to the one he was feeling now. Simply because he’d never known when to expect it before, but right now, when he was moments away, it was nerve racking. 

Krystal, on the other hand, struggled with organizing her thoughts that raced vigorously through her mind. She wanted for her words to be perfect, for this night to be perfect because he deserved it. A small voice at the back of her mind reminded her that he wasn’t the only worthy of happiness, but she quickly pushed it aside. She had finally made her choice, and she wasn’t going to replay the endless cycle of hesitations again. 

With determination, she finally inhaled a deep breath and averted her gaze to meet his. Her eyes widened slightly when she saw how he desperately looked at her, and her self-loathing increased for she knew that she was the reason behind all their torment.

 Ever so slightly, she put her hands on his shoulder before she began talking. “I planned the way I’d say this a thousand times, yet I couldn’t find a perfect way…” She paused for a few moments before she continued. “First… I’m s-sorry... so… so sorry for what I-I’ve put you… through.” She couldn’t help but stutter while speaking. There were so many words she wanted to say, but she struggled to form one complete sentence for she was too overwhelmed with her intensified emotions. She suddenly felt suffocated that she could hardly even speak.

It was quite weird how the most beautiful feeling could leave you in such a messy state. It felt like words weren’t enough; like nothing was to explain the way she felt. Her hands were unconsciously raised as she tried to put her feelings into words. How can she explain it though? How can she explain that she felt like she was drowning from its enormousness? How can you put your endless thoughts into words without sounding like a completely insane person? 

A ghost of a smile appeared on his face. She didn’t need to continue because her eyes had already revealed much. His smile widened more until he was sure his facial muscles would hurt. She put her forefinger on his mouth in order to shush him, and he shrugged innocently and tried to lose his grin, but it was futile. Right now, nothing would spoil his overwhelming happiness, he thought.

“Wait… let me finish.” She narrowed her eyes and tried to intimidate him with her warming glare, but she couldn’t help it. She unintentionally laughed as she shook her head lightly.

All his earlier thoughts were gone, his insecurities, his fear, everything was gone as he focused his adorned stare at her. His thoughts drifted to the first time he laid his eyes on her. It wasn’t love from first sight; on the contrary, he didn’t even think that she was beautiful then. But she slowly hypnotized him with her uniqueness. He’d realized later that she was one of a kind; his rare kryptonite.

He was snapped out of his thought when she cleared her thoughts and opened ready to pour her heart out to the boy whom she deeply loved.

But her eyes suddenly widened, and he quickly averted his stare to where she was looking only to be met with a blinding light.

His mind suddenly became blank, and without hesitations, he threw himself on her and shielded her from the unknown like a barrier.

He didn’t even get to hold her properly.

And her words were never spoken; only replaced with a piercing scream out of terror.

It was the last thing heard before they were both pulled into darkness. 

 

 

 

The moon shone cruelly illuminating the once dimmed streets. The tranquility of the night was long gone and disturbed with the sound of desperate calls. A barely audible sound of an ambulance could be heard from afar replacing the beautiful harmony of the soft music. The mesmerizing sight of raindrops falling softly was replaced with the horrid sight of broken glass and blood, and the scent of freshly washed pavements was replaced with one of alcohol. To everyone’s chagrin, the night would surely be carved forever but for its heart wrenching tragedy.

Krystal couldn’t decipher the noises that she heard. She struggled in opening her eyes, but she eventually succeeded into doing so. She was clueless about her surrounding, and everywhere she looked, she was haunted with widened eyes and mouths agape. The endless panicked faces caused fear to spread all over her body, and she, too, started freaking out.

She ordered herself to move, to run away, to find a shelter where she could crawl and hide from all this, but all her body parts failed her. The mere thought of moving hurt her. Her helplessness increased her terror, and her heart started thumping so loud, she was sure everyone around her could hear it. She wanted to sob until all her tears dried up, and she wanted to scream until she loses her voice completely, but she did neither for she was too panicked she hardly even blinked.

Suddenly, she lost the sensation of the floor beneath her and felt like she was floating. She started feeling dizzy all of a sudden because of the movement; nevertheless she tried hard to keep her eyes wide opened. She looked around her again only to confirm her thoughts; she was indeed moving. She then looked at the side only to be met with someone’s face inches away from her.

It finally dawned on her that she wasn’t floating but was being carried by a stranger. She felt his hands holding her tightly in a bridal style while his eyes moved from a place to another. He was yelling loudly; giving orders to someone, but Krystal struggled to perceive his words. The thoughts and questions inside of her head were already too loud for her to hear anything else.

She was too scared, and she opened to scream, again, and again, but nothing came out. She felt utterly vulnerable, unprotected and incapable of doing anything. She looked around again and tried to fathom the scene in front of her, but it was almost impossible for she was continuously met with endless panicked faces that increased her terror and obliviousness.

The last thing she saw was a petrifying sight of collided cars; one that was only seen in movies before she stared at the sea of black above her head. Soon after, it was replaced with whiteness, and she felt something soft beneath her. She looked straight ahead and found someone’s back turned to her as he focused on getting something.

“Where am I?” she asked the moment he turned around, but her words were muffled by the mask that was put on .

She never got a response for she was yet again pulled into darkness. 

 

__________________

AN: So? What do you guys think?! :)

Please don't forget to comment/subscribe/up-vote! 

Thankyouu xx