Chapter 7

Saudade

Krystal jerked awake to the sudden sound of noisiness that filled her room. Her eyes wandered around the room frantically as she tried to fathom the sudden disturbance that interrupted her peaceful sleep. It dawned on her when her eyes laid on the alarm clock that announced that it was six in the morning, she then heaved a sigh before she turned it off. She smiled contently when the room fell into its quietness again and closed her eyes as she tried to leisure few more minutes of this peacefulness.

She’d formerly wanted to go back to sleep, but her mind didn’t seem cooperative with the idea. She soon gave up on the idea of sleeping, and with an annoyed huff, she rested her back on the headrest.

She looked longingly at her phone that rested on the nightstand, and deliberated picking it up and dialing the number that she memorized by heart. Although reluctantly, she pushed this thought aside since she knew that it only cause her more misery.

She didn’t want anything to bring her down today, but she couldn’t help but let her thoughts drift to her friend whom she craved to his voice. She sighed miserably as she thought about Yi Fan, and how much she’d missed him.

During the first few days, he’d kept his promise by calling her several times a day, and to say that she was happy would be an understatement. She was thrilled with the fact that he’d chosen her to share his experience with, and with the amount of details he’d supplemented her with, Krystal sometimes felt like she was there with him.

They’d spent the first few nights talking through the phone for over a couple of hours as he illustrated her about all the events that took place during the day. And although she hated the fact that they were thousand miles away apart, his excited voice was enough to remind her that it was worth it.

But with each day that passed by, his calls gradually lessened, and his excuses and apologies became more frequent. She’d always reassured him that she understood and claimed that she wasn’t sad, but it was the farthest thing from the truth.

She’d already anticipated that it’ll be hectic and he’ll get busier, and even though she tried to ready herself for the whole thing, she failed. The nights that she’d spent with him through the phone were replaced with nights of restlessness and insomnia She’d lie wide awake on her bed looking at her phone as she waited desperately to hear its ringing, but she’d eventually drift to sleep with the faint light of sunrise seeping through her window.

His calls gradually lessened to the extent that it now became almost non-existent, and whenever he miraculously got a chance to talk to her, he’d sound unfocused and the call would end up too soon. But the truth was; Yi Fan was as desperate and helpless as she was; maybe even more, and it had caused him great despair.

They both seemed aware with the fact that they were growing distant, yet neither of them took the initiative to express how they truly felt, and they both acted like they were unfazed with the whole thing. They were both afraid to show how vulnerable and dependable they’d become; therefore, their calls now consisted of nothing but monotony.

Krystal’s thoughts abruptly came to a halt when she heard her mother calling her. She glanced at the picture that rested on her nightstand of her and Yi Fan grinning widely at the camera before she groggily walked downstairs.

 She followed the delicious scent of pancakes until she eventually reached the kitchen. She found both of her parents already waiting for her on the table. Her lips curved into a small smile as she made her way towards them.

“Excited for your first day?” Her father was the first to break the silence with his question.

Krystal swallowed the food that she filled with before she replied. “Yea… I guess.” She shrugged nonchalantly. 

“It’s your senior year sweetie; the most eventful one. Make the most of it.” Her mother looked at her with delight in her eyes as she seemed too excited about it.

“No thank you. I don’t want my life to get anymore eventful than it already has.” Krystal’s words were meant to be a joke, but she regretted them when she saw the smiles faltering from her parents faces.

“The most eventful one, huh?” She repeated her mother’s words with a quirked eyebrow as she tried to lighten the mood again. “Well then, I sure hope so.” 

 

With a smile gracing her face, Krystal pushed her way through the sea of students that crowded the school hallways. She was really excited for her last year in school as she’d always looked forward to it ever since she was young. Senior year has been always known for being the year with the most memories, and she was determined to create happy ones.

The sound of chatters and laughter echoed through the place; it was so loud yet so hyper. The enthusiasm was evident on everyone’s faces as friends hugged each other tightly and showed their happiness with their wide grins. Everyone was obviously excited for yet another beginning especially Krystal who felt like she needed this the most.

She needed something to distract from thinking about Yi Fan’s departure and moping around the house, and there was nothing more hectic than school. She was ready or so she thought for this year with all of its cons and pros.

Halfway through, she started noticing a change in the atmosphere around her, but she brushed it nonchalantly as she thought that it was only her nerves taking their toll on her. But whether it was indeed her nerves or not, she couldn’t brush off the feeling of eyes following her as she walked.

She tightened her hold around her notebook as if it was some kind of shield, and for some unknown reason, her self-consciousness escalated. She alternated her glances from left to right as she tried to fathom the sudden change of atmosphere, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary at first.

But the more she walked, the more she felt everyone quietening down, and the earlier loud sound was now replaced with one of hushed whispers. Wherever she looked, she’d find the students turning their backs to her as if they wanted to avoid her. She couldn’t fathom their actions, but she was sure that it wasn’t coincidental.

She tried to look as calm as possible, but she felt herself getting suffocating with this paranoia of hers. She felt like she was exposed; like all her flaws were suddenly magnified. Insecurity spread all over her, and she walked with a head hung low while her legs unconsciously took faster steps.

She practically dug her head inside of her locker the instant she reached it. She started to hyperventilate like she suffered from a panic attack, but after few more minutes, she started to calm down a bit. She then tried to busy herself by stuffing her books agonizingly slowly inside of her locker.

She flinched slightly the moment she heard the bell ringing announcing the beginning of the first class, and after mustering up enough courage, she finally glanced furtively at her surroundings. Everything looked normal, and everyone looked indifferent to the point that she started doubting what she’d seen earlier. She then started silently questioning herself whether she’d hallucinated the entire thing, and this thought was getting confirmed with each second that passed by for they continued with their earlier loud conversations as they walked towards their classes.

She stood transfixed for a couple of minutes as she couldn’t decipher what had happened, but she eventually snapped out of her thoughts and quickly walked towards her first class.

Everyone was already seated inside the class when she reached it, and she heaved a sigh of relief when she realized that her teacher didn’t arrive yet. She let her eyes roam around the place as she looked for any vacant seat, and when she finally found one, she made her way towards it.

Everyone suddenly quietened down the moment she started walking, and this time, she was sure that she wasn’t hallucinating. She picked up her pace and quickly made her way towards the end of the class where the vacant seat was.

“I’d appreciate it if you came earlier miss.. Krystal?” What sounded like an older male’s voice stopped her abruptly, and she slowly turned around only to find her teacher standing in the middle of the class with an annoyed expression. She mumbled an apology and walked faster until she finally reached her seat.

There were only two empty seats at the end of the class, and she chose the one besides the window contently. It wasn’t until then that it dawned on her that the reason for the sudden reticence inside of the class was the teacher’s arrival, and this thought eased Krystal a bit.

A sudden knock interrupted Krystal’s thoughts, and everyone’s interest piqued as they waited to know who stood behind the door except for Krystal who instead averted her gaze towards the window and watched the field outside where a football practice took place.

“Well, isn’t it a small world?”  Krystal snapped out of her trance upon hearing a familiar voice.

Her lips unconsciously curved up into a wide smile as she stared at the latter who took the seat beside her.

“Chen?” 

 


AN:

Hope you enjoyed this! ;)
Chen will appear more frequently starting from the next chapter!! ^_^

Please don't forget to subscribe/upvote/comment!! xx

Thank youuu<3!!