Chapter 23

Saudade

"Okay then, I'll give you what you came here for."

 

Krystal shivered. She should’ve felt triumphant when he announced that he would be giving her all the answers she came her looking for. She should’ve felt proud of herself to persuade someone like Byun Baekhyun.

But she didn’t.

Maybe it was the way his eyes gleamed with mischief, or the look on Taeyeon’s face. She wasn’t so sure about the reason that suddenly made her question whether she really wanted to hear him or not.

For a moment there, hesitation washed over her, but she didn’t let it show.

She stood grounded; feigning that she was completely unfazed by his unnerving gaze, when in reality, she had the sudden urge to run out of here.

She didn’t though.

She kept standing; her eyes never breaking away from him. For some reason, she felt like she needed to show him that she wasn’t affected by him. Maybe if she acted it so well, it might become real.

Taeyeon’s the only one out of the three of them who looked quite distraught. She looked like she might be sick in any minute. She frantically alternated her eyes between the two as the silence descended in the room. There was tiny bit of hope igniting inside of her. Maybe Baekhyun was only pushing Krystal and wasn’t actually going to say anything to her, she silently thought.

After all, Baekhyun’s always loved provoking Krystal; toying with her. She was easy; he always claimed. And between her lover and best friend, she couldn’t pick sides and watched the two as they bickered in helplessness.

Her eyes then darted towards the exit door. She’d seen Kyungsoo out there before she’s gotten inside, and he’d warned her about the catastrophe that might end up happening today. She argued with him; blinding defending Baekhyun and saying that he would never betray his friend like that. ‘You know him, Kyungsoo.’ She added desperately in the end to which he gave her the weirdest reply. ‘And it’s because of that I’m warning you.’ She couldn’t think of something that’d drove him to say something like that about his friend.

She’d always believed that she’d known Baekhyun so well; more than anyone else out there. She’d always saw him as someone easy to read. ‘like an open book.’ She’d told him once teasingly. She believed it was their intimacy, their close relationship that has gotten her to understand how beautiful he was. But why did she suddenly feel like this all might’ve wrong? That all this time, there was another part of Baek she knew nothing of? Why… oh why did the flicker of doubt suddenly flame inside of her?

Her eyes stayed on him as she tried to decipher what was going inside the mind of his. There was a sickening smirk on his face; like he was some kind of a sadistic madman, so exhilarated with the way he was troubling others. The sight sent shivers to her spine. Nevertheless, she chose to believe that it was nothing but an act. All was an act to toy with Krystal. She kept silently convincing herself.

Until he spoke.

“So…what exactly do you want to know, princess?” He spat the last word with so much venom, yet the false sweet smile was still drawn on his face. Krystal wanted nothing more right then to wipe it off.

“Please spare me with ‘princess’ because it’s really annoying.” Krystal said with a scowl that did anything but faze him.

He snorted. “That’s the point.”

Krystal opened but ended up closing it again with clenched teeth. How she would manage to get all the answers without killing him first was beyond her in all honesty. She exhaled a deep breath and instead focused on what she came for today. At least, he was still here. She tried to create a silver lining.

“Who’s Joonmyun?” She inquired minutes later with a controlled voice and watched his reaction. His smile temporarily fell when he heard the name and an indescribable flashed through his eyes. There was melancholy, Krystal thought while looking at him but it was gone as quick as it had showed. And he returned to his irritating state again.

“Another question.”

“But you-”

“Another question, or I’ll be out of here.” He deadpanned, and Krystal knew better than to argue. She rubbed her temples as she racked her mind for another question. For some reason, all the questions that were crowding her mind before coming were all gone now; her mind was blank. It was the tense atmosphere that was building nerves inside of her, the dread and fear of what she was ought to expect. Everything was taking its toll on her, right now leaving her with sweaty palms and a threatening migraine.

“Go home, Krystal.” She looked up only to realize that it was the girl’s, Taeyeon, voice. She’d been silent for a while that Krystal has forgotten that she was even there. She paused briefly; scrutinizing the girl’s face. She looked the same like in Krystal’s dreams, maybe with few minute changes. Like how her hair was a few shades lighter; few inches longer. Her clothing style’s changed too. In her dream, she looked like a girl who’s come from a doll house while right now she looked a bit more mature.

The more she looked at her, the more she felt like there was some kind of a memory starting to blur inside her mind. But it wouldn’t get any clearer.

“Oh, C’mon Taeyeon. Don’t be such a party pooper.” Came in Baekhyun’s voice. Krystal looked up and saw him grinning madly at Taeyeon. Taeyeon blinked at him. She was offended; that was one. And she was starting to get a little scared of him. She failed to fathom any of his actions, but one thing she was sure of, he was no longer toying with Krystal. It was something beyond mere amusement.

Baekhyun was taking revenge.

He was so blinded by it. He wanted nothing more than to hurt Krystal right now.

She could see his satisfaction as he watched the calm expression of Krystal beginning to crumble. Taeyeon wanted to reach there and vigorously until he came back to his senses. But she stayed in her place, too stunned to do anything.

She felt her phone vibrating in her pocket and reached for it. “Who’s it?” came in Baekhyun’s question. He was now frowning at her, his grin, thankfully, nowhere in sight now.

“Hello?” she picked up, ignoring the latter’s question.

“Taeyeon! Thank God you picked up. Where’re you? And where’s Baekhyun? And why do I need to come to the warehouse right now? Kyungsoo said something was happening…” The words instantly poured into her ears without a pause. Franticness was laced with his voice as he rushed to speak. Taeyeon could hear his ragged breaths through the phone, the sound of car’s honking and loud shouts in the street. A quarrel must’ve taken place wherever the latter was right now. She silently thought.

Her eyes briefly flickered towards Baekhyun only to find him still staring at her in curiosity. She didn’t spare him another glance and instead looked away and focused on the conversation. “And he’s right.” Was all that she said.

Baekhyun’s frown deepened; the vagueness of her answer confusing him even more.

“Who’s right? Kyungsoo’s right? Taeyeon what the hell’s going on?”

“Yes. Yes he is.” She hurriedly answered.

“Taey-” His voice was cut as she ended the call; not giving him a chance to ask any more questions. It wasn’t like she could ask for his help when Baekhyun was looking at her like that. She feared that he might lose what was left of his sanity.

She exhaled a shaky breath; her eyes lingering on the floor even though she felt the two pairs of eyes boring into her wanting to know what this was about.

“So…?” Came in Baekhyun’s mumbled minutes later. “Aren’t you going to tell me?”

“Aren’t going to let this go?” She asked with equal impatience as she pinched the bridge of her nose.

“Let what?”

“This?” She gestured around; her eyes eventually falling on Krystal. “Why did you come here, Krystal? I’m trying to find any reason that drove you to come here, but I can’t find any.”

“I need answers.” Was all that Krystal said.

“Why must you know the answers to everything?” Taeyeon breathed in exasperation. She was trying to stall this until Luhan came here. He was the only one besides Chen who knew Krystal after the accident, and he might have an idea to how to fix this. She didn’t want Baekhyun to do anything that he would surely end up regretting later.

“Because she’s always been annoying like that, period.” Baekhyun offered with a humourless chuckle. 

 

“Really? Please enlighten me how would you know such thing when you don’t even know me?” Krystal sent him a murderous glare to which he only smiled chirpily. Taeyeon inwardly cursed.

“Who said I don’t know you?” He taunted with a lift of an eyebrow.

Krystal’s eyebrows pulled together into a frown. His question silenced her temporarily. She opened but closed it again when nothing came out.

“How would you know me?” She asked shakily minutes later.

The tiny part that was left of her calm exterior has fallen by then, and Krystal no longer cared whether she looked as shaken as she truly felt or not. In any other day, the question might’ve meant nothing to her, but after getting all those dreams, after him being in mostly every one of them, she couldn’t brush off the feeling that something was utterly absurd about all this.

There was a missing puzzle piece.

“Why don’t we give your memory a little refreshment, hmm?” He didn’t let her answer and spoke again. “Let’s play two truths and one lie, shall we?”

Taeyeon saw Krystal hesitating. The spark of hope ignited again inside of her, and she rushed to convince the latter. “Krystal, no. Don’t.” She hurriedly said.

Baekhyun sent her a murderous glare, but she brushed it off. He’s apparently lost his mind.

“Okay.” Krystal exhaled minutes later.  

 “Not as stupid. There’s an improvement.” Baekhyun commented with a widened smile. Krystal struggled to refrain herself from snapping his head off right then and there. She wasn’t so sure if her leaving without getting any answers was worse than this. Hell no, she mentally concluded.

Before Taeyeon can stop him again, Baekhyun rushed to speak. He held out his fingers as he counted. “One, Taeyeon’s your best friend. Or more like was but whatever. Two, Chen’s in love with you. Three, you’ve seen pigs fly before.” He offered a sheepish grin.

The colour drained from Krystal’s face as she stood her widened eyes fixed on him. She was silent, too silent for anyone’s liking. Taeyeon hoped that at least she would be mad and yell at him, but nothing came out of Krystal’s mouth. All she did was stand there and stare at him.

“I get from your silence that you figured it out.” he commented nonchalantly before holding out his fingers again. “One, hell’s frozen. Two, you got into an accident a while ago. Three…” He paused briefly. “You lost some of your memories because of amnesia.”

 

 


Woaaaaaah.

It's beeen way too long since I last updated, and I apologize severly for this. 

The thing is, I'm now in my senior year, and here, senior year basically determines your entire future. So, it's so stressing and hectic and depressing and... the list is too long.

Anyways, I checked my account a while ago, and OMG I MISS THIS TOO TOO MUCH.

I'm sorry I haven't told you guys anything earlier. very sorry.

Anyways, I haven't written anything in a long while, but I found this in my draft. It probably , so bad. But I guess I just felt like sharing something with you?

I apologize again and again.

Please wish me luck, I need every bit of it. 

LOVE YOU.

- Aaliyah xoxo