Chapter 14

Saudade

Friday has finally arrived, and nothing sounded more heavenly to Krystal than having two days off school. She was planning on spending them in bed to compensate all the hours that she’d wasted on homework rather than sleeping.

The week has passed monotonously without any major events that was worth mentioning besides one that happened on Wednesday during lunch time.

When Ji eun asked her to join them for lunch, Krystal agreed without any hesitations. She didn’t think that anyone would mind having her with them, so she was taken aback when Chen stubbornly refused to sit at the same table as Ji eun’s and threated to leave if she joined them. But Ji eun was already out of their sight before he could. 

Krystal was a bit uncomfortable by the whole incident, and she didn't know how she was supposed to act around her. But Ji eun answered this question for her the next day as she dealt like nothing has happened. She never mentioned anything about that day; neither did Chen, and thankfully the matter was soon forgotten.

 

Krystal walked chirpily to school; feeling delighted about the idea of finally resting at home in just a few hours.

Before going to her first class though, she met up with Chen who was waiting for her besides her locker.

“What’s up?” She asked while taking her stuff out of the locker.

“Dress nicely for me today.” He said simply.

“Don’t I always dress nicely?” She sent him a disdainful glare before averting her gaze again towards the book she was holding. He chuckled at her question, but before he could say anything, she cut him off. “Why?”

“I thought you’d never ask.” He smirked victoriously. “I’m picking you up tonight, obviously.”

“Are you asking me on a date?” She feigned surprise.

“If you consider going to the library to the library to get some help for our song assignment a date, then yes it is then.”

“So why do I have to dress nicely if it’s not a date then?”

"Are you asking me to ask you on a date?" He quiked his eyebrow.

"Are you asking me to ask you to ask you to ask me on a date?" 

"Wait what?"

"What?" 

"You're weird." He shook his lightly before chuckling. "Tell you what, consider it a friendly date.” He smiled while staring hopefully at her.

“Friendly date.” She repeated the words to herself while smiling. “I like that.”

“Well good… because I’m going to shower you with these.”

"OH! and meet me in the music room at lunch break!" He shouted while walking away. 

 

Unfortunately for her, the teacher technically locked them all up inside class so he could finish off what he wanted to say. Therefore, the entire class was forced to sit there for a while more even after the bell announced the beginning of their lunch break.

Knowing that Chen was probably waiting, Krystal could hardly hear what the teacher was saying as she solemnly focused on the clock that was hung up on the wall. Her impatience was thinning all the while she watched the clock’s hands moving agonizingly slowly.

After what felt like an eternity, the teacher finally dismissed them, and she hastily made her way out of class. She was the first to leave, and she ran off towards the music room. However, she expected not to find Chen there for she was already 20 minutes late.

Her steps slowed down when she was nearing her destination, but she abruptly froze when she was few feet away.

There he was; leaning on the wall while he searched the crowd for any sign of her.

A smile made its way on her face upon seeing him still waiting for her outside, and she quickly paced towards him.

“Finally.” He sighed. She smiled guiltily when she reached him. “C’mon, we’ve got things to do.” He added while entering with Krystal trailing behind him.

Krystal’s face lit like a little kid's on Christmas the moment she stepped inside and found all these instruments. They embellished the room with their beauty, but there was solemnly one that Krystal couldn't take her eyes off. She unconciously started marching towards it and finally stopped when she reached the center of the room where the huge black instrument rested gracefully.

She stared at the piano with gleaming eyes and couldn’t quieten down her urge to touch it. She let her hands brush its cold smooth surface before she lifted off the cover.

“Play me a song.” He spoke softly from behind her.

She nodded hesitantly and placed her hands on the keys.

Play this.

Her eyes instinctively fluttered close the instant she pressed the first one. It was splendid how one thing that seemed too trivial to many could bring out such an enchanting sound, and it was surely magical how that one thing managed to make her feel like she was being pulled out of her world with every key she pressed.

It was like a parallel universe where only the lucky ones get to visit; a place so addicting, so soothing.

Chen took the seat beside her and watched her; he simply couldn’t tear his eyes away from her. He’s seen so many people playing instruments before, but she… she was different. She played like she was playing in a spectacle of her own; like the piano was her lifeline.

And frankly, Chen was envious all the while he watched her. He envied her for being able to relish the beauty of the music while he was deprived from it. But most importantly, he hated himself for being the one who was responsible for this deprivation.

With every key she pressed, his pain and misery were escalating.

He could’ve walked out, and it would’ve been easier for him to get the hell away from that room; to quit from music class, but there was a small voice inside of him reminded him that this wouldn't make him any happier. 

Deep inside, he knew that he didn’t want to leave. Deep inside, he knew that he wanted to join her. He wanted to pour everything out the way he’s done it so many times before. He wanted, desperately wanted, to sing again, but a certain memory always haunted him and hurt him whenever he even thought about singing again.

And he was pained because the thing that managed to solace him and the thing that managed to ruin him have become the same.

But the more he watched Krystal, the more his urge to sing increased. The sound of the music was pulling him again, but his anguish was standing in the way. 

Halfway through the song, he felt like he couldn't tolerate it anymore. His longing and need was powerful than his ache; or so he wanted to believe. And so, he pressured himself to try to bear it this time. 

Krystal continued to play when all of a sudden she heard a captivating voice harmonizing beautifully with the enchanting melody. It sounded too good that she felt lost; so lost as she a had a hard time distinguishing between fantasy and reality.

The voice continued to hypnotize her, and she begged herself not to stop fearing the loss of it and the inevitability of being brought back to reality.

And so, Chen poured every ounce of emotion in this song. He sang desperately and despairingly because he’s been silent for so intolerably long.

When the song neared its end, he cried out like it was his last salvation, and little did he know that he hit the high note perfectly.

Much to Krystal’s chagrin, the song ended.

She was pulled back again to reality the instant she lifted her hands off those keys and opened her eyes.

She turned her head towards Chen only to find that he was, indeed, sitting beside her. For a moment, she believed that she deluded the entire thing. She was still stunned to silence, and she couldn’t find any words to say anything after hearing his awfully captivating voice.

“You…” She whispered.

Chen didn’t bring himself to look at her and sat still with his head hung low. He was having mixed emotions about singing again, and sadly, they were only negative ones.

“You…” she whispered again, and he silently urged her to continue because he was slightly curious about what she was going to say.

“Sang…?” A third voice suddenly asked, and Chen snapped his head and searched for its source.

His face fell upon noticing the latter that stood beside the door staring at him with widened eyes.

“What the hell are you doing here?” Chen asked angrily.

“Chen, you sang again.” He brushed Chen’s question off and urged frantically instead.

“Get out.”

“But….”

“Get. Out.” Chen roared angrily.

Krystal alternated her confused gazes between the two until she finally fixed it on the latter who was now disappointedly walking out of the room. She didn’t know who he was or why he managed irritated Chen so.

She watched him with so many questions crowding her mind until he eventually vanished from her sight.

“Don’t ask.” Chen spoke when she turned her gaze towards him.

“But can you at least…”

“Please.” The desperation that she detected in his voice shut her up; although forcibly. 

 

Upon hearing Chen’s voice, the young fellow sprinted frantically towards the music room.

Even though he believed that he was only deluding it, his hope sparked a little, and he couldn’t stop himself from making sure.

He knew that Chen had always been stubborn, and he knew that he’d never back down from a decision he made.

Therefore, he gave up on him long ago because Chen had made it perfectly clear that he’d never sing again when he broke down in front of the entire class upon hearing that certain song. So the possibility of hearing his voice again was nearly non-existent for him.

Nevertheless, he didn’t stop running until he finally reached the room.

The voice got so much louder by the time he was standing in front of it to the extent that it almost sounded real. He continued standing in front of the door because he didn’t want to enter just yet. He didn’t want to open the door because seeing the empty room would only snap him to reality, and he wanted to enjoy this song even if it was a mere creation of his imagination.

He froze when he heard the high note. Honestly, it was… indescribable. That voice was full of emotions; full of sorrow that he sensed it himself.

Unconsciously, he turned the door knob and the door opened.

And there he found him, sitting beside her on the piano. He finished the song off mesmerizingly and let his head fall.

He could only watch Chen incredulously because frankly he still couldn’t register it.

He didn’t know what triggered Chen to sing again, but whichever the reason was; he appreciated it.

Nostalgia washed over him upon seeing him inside that room again in his usual spot.

He’d missed the times they spent practicing in there; the time they spent preparing and secretly creating their own songs, but most importantly, he missed Chen; the one who was responsible for drawing smiles on everyone’s faces.

He'd already convinced himself that people were bound to change eventually. He forced himself to believe that Chen would never return to his usual self again because he didn’t want to get high expectations that would only get crushed in the end. That’s why he forced himself to come into terms with the worst scenarios possible.

But hearing him today gave him a slight hope, and maybe, just maybe, he’d be able to sing with his best friend again someday like old times.

With this thought in mind, he fastened his steps and ran through the empty hallways.

“Mr. Donghae.” He called breathlessly upon entering his room. 


 


So how did you guys spend your Christmas?!
I spent mine preparing for the exams:(
I had the first one yesterday, and I've got one tomorrow! :Z
So whom do you guys think that fellow is?! ;;)
Don't forget to leave your comments! They mean the world<3
And HAAPPYY *early* NEW YEARR GUYSS!!
I hope this one will be better, and may all your wishes come true.
And may we all meet in a concert for Exo this year.
LOVEE YOUU ALL xoxo