Chapter 21

Saudade

After the weird and surprising meeting with Baekhyun, Krystal couldn’t shake off the words he’d said to her. It kept lingering in her mind no matter how she tried to push them aside.

A very big part of her was sure that he only wanted to toy with her, and sadly he succeeded to for a tiny part of her was restless. That part, without her consent, was being very curious about the meaning of what he’s said. ‘It’s already annoying enough that you’ve forgot everything?’

What was that that she had possibly forgot? When did she anyways?

Her mind flickered back to the time of the accident. She remembered a few days later being told that her grandmother was already dead after asking about her. Was there… possibly anything else that was erased from her mind?

Nah… it was unlikely, her parents would have surely told her. She tried to silently reassure herself.

Wouldn’t they?

The taxi's driver glanced at her reflection in the rear-view mirror every once in a while. The whole journey, she’s been occasionally nodding and shaking her head as if she was talking to an imaginary person. He feared for the poor thing’s health.

A loud buzz cut off her trail of thoughts. Blinking a couple of times, her eyes looked around momentarily before realizing that it was coming from her bag. Fishing her phone out, Krystal instantly swiped to answer upon noticing the caller.

“He-”

“I’m doing you a favour.” His voice cut her greeting off; talking in a rather unusual hurried way.

“What’s with-”

“Just hear me out before I change my mind about this.” He interrupted yet again. “Please.” He added almost desperately. She a breath but obeyed and stayed silent waiting expectantly for his next words.

She could hear him letting out a shaky breath before he finally said in a whisper. “I found Chen.”

 

“Wait. There’ a change in the direction.” Krystal suddenly announced or more like squeaked to the driver who abruptly brought the car to a stop causing her body to jerk forward a little.

Giving the man the new address, he brought the car back to life before they swiftly, upon Krystal’s request, made their way to the said place.

 

 

For the nth time today, the driver brought the car to sudden halt causing the tires to screech in a rather annoying loud sound. Krystal’s body, for the second time already, jerked forward again but this time causing her head to bump into the headrest in front of her.

She massaged her forehead a little before smiling weakly to the driver who was now turned to her and waiting impatiently for the money. Paying him, Krystal jumped out of the car quickly but ended up falling on the ground with a loud thud.

She didn’t care though how odd she looked right now, but she let a contented sigh; thrilled that she had survived and touched land again in one piece. The driver’s driving was so horrifying that she was sure they were going to make an accident.

Remembering the reason that brought her here, Krystal stood up before brushing the imaginary dust off her clothes and wandered around looking for a familiar face.

It didn’t take her long until she finally found a certain blonde young man.

“Where’s he?” She instantly asked upon reaching Yi Fan.

“He’s in there.” He said before pointing towards the city’s carnival. “I’ve been standing in front of the entrance since then, so don’t worry, I hadn’t seen him leaving yet."

“The jerk…” she mumbled before turning around. Yi fan caught her sleeve causing her steps to come to a halt. She glanced at him in confusion.

“Are you really going in there?” He asked almost timidly. He really wanted to do anything to stop her but held his tongue for he was already aware of the damage he’d done before. He surely wouldn’t want to do it again.

She instantly nodded without hesitation. “I’m making sure that he keeps his promise.” 

His face fell; his eyes suddenly finding interest with the floor beneath him and blew a deep breath. Had he done the right thing? He wondered.

“Yi Fan?” Krystal called causing hope to find its way towards his eyes. He raised his head instinctively in acknowledgment and waited for whatever she had to say.

She paused momentarily before her face broke into a wide smile. “Thank you.” And with that, she finally left.

He only brushed it off with a weak smile.

He initially didn’t want to do this… but for some reason, he couldn’t help but follow the latter around until he eventually arrived here. He was leaving; he really was, but something inside urged him to call her.

He knew how she was desperately looking for Chen, and he also knew that he was the reason for her misery these days.

He thought it would ease off his guilt a little, and it did… somehow…

Because seeing her genuine smile after all this while managed to form one on his face too. Albeit, he wasn’t the reason.

 

 

Krystal ran everywhere; her eyes roaming around in franticness. She pushed her way through the families and children that wondered around crowding this place. How long… had she been dreaming about coming to this place? But here she was right now, and she couldn’t stop for two good minutes to check out this place properly.

She didn’t care though. She only kept going for she wanted nothing more than to see him.

Krystal checked everywhere, yet there was no sign of him. Momentarily, she doubted that Yi Fan has seen the right person; after all, he’s only seen him once through a picture that Krystal has showed him. She was about to turn around and leave when all of a sudden, she spotted someone taking a seat in the rollercoaster.

“Chen” Krystal called breathlessly although she was aware of the fact that there was no way in hell he could hear from such distance. She practically started running trying to catch the ride before it started.

Sadly, she was only halfway through when the man pushed the bottom and brought it to life.

Krystal suddenly stopped watching as the rollercoaster’s lights as it started turning on. She watched in awe; her eyes following the path were the small cart where Chen was seated right now was supposed to take. It didn’t take for a stupid person to understand why he was the only one sitting there.

It was horrendous, and the sight itself sent shivers to her spine.

 

Chen couldn’t exactly the reason that brought him here. All that he can recall was finding out that this place reopened again after a long while of maintenance. He eventually found himself standing in front of this game.

Chen hated rollercoasters; period.

But for some reason; his legs continued moving until he reached the ticket booth and bought one for the coaster ride he dreaded the most. He didn’t know what he was thinking then; if he was even thinking considering that he’s practically thrown himself into what he once believed was his worst nightmare.

It wasn’t his first time trying this… he recalled.

The last time; certain people had to drag him with them.

Maybe…  in a miraculous way… just like before… they’ve dragged him today too.

Because right now, he found himself putting the seatbelts on and waiting for the man to start the ride. 

His eyes unconsciously fluttered close upon noticing the man walking towards where he believe was the little control room. The ride was about to start; he realized dry heaving at the mere thought.

The fear was now washing over him upon realizing the reality of what he’s just done.

He was so tempted to turn around and beg the man to let him out of here before this thing started, but for some weird reason, he stayed in his place; eyes close and legs shaking rather terribly.

A sound went off indicating the begging of the dreadful ride. Chen’s legs made contact with the floor then as if wanting to stop this thing from moving any further, but it was to no avail because his legs only continued to be dragged forward along with his body.

He gasped upon feeling a delicate softly brushing his right one. He could’ve sworn the cart was empty when this thing started moving. Has someone managed to get in and he wasn’t aware?

He was about to open his eyes; curious about the stranger who was shamelessly touching him when all of a sudden…

“It’s going to be fun… I promise.” Chen’s breath caught upon hearing the reassuring voice. He could suddenly sense a presence at each side of him, and the mere thought caused shivers to spread through his entire body.

“J-J-Joon…Joonmyun?” He stuttered shakily tasting the said name with his mouth after a very long time. Was it… really him?

No one answered, and he could’ve chuckled at his idiocy if he didn’t find himself so pitiful then.

The cart was moving; achingly slowly at first… possibly before the awaiting catastrophe; he silently concluded. “We’re both here, okay?” he could hear it… he could actually hear voices, it wasn’t Joonmyun this time though… was it really Krystal who’d joined him just now?

The delicate hand grabbed his this time and squeezed it in what he believed was reassurance. He wanted to open his eyes right then; to confirm their existence, but he feared, God how much he feared that they’d only dissolve away if he did and would be met with emptiness instead.

Instinctively, his eyes closed more tightly, it was his only way of holding onto whatever the hell this was so desperately.

His right hand clutched what he believed was Krystal’s hands more tightly. Far away, he could hear the sound of her chuckle. He didn’t care that his hand was getting sweaty, and he also might be hurting her; he couldn’t help it.

The cart suddenly stopped; temporarily of course, and Chen was starting to hyperventilate with the mere thought of what was about to happen.

“Here comes the best part.” A sob escaped his lips upon hearing the excited shout coming from his side. It was Joonmyun’s; that much he could detect.

‘So he's really here after all’ Chen was left with this thought before the cart abruptly began moving in a speed he believed was supposed to be illegal.

He felt himself being turned upside down with his feet dangling in the air while the cart continued moving… the wind hitting his face with so much force.

It was then that he could hear an ear piercing scream. It wasn’t out of excitement, it was anything but.

It took him few seconds to realize that the voice was escaping from his lips. The sudden awareness of their presence right now was perhaps the reason behind this weird act of his. With an equivalent speed to the ride’s, the memories flooded his mind like unorganized scenes that were snatched haphazardly from a movie.

Everything was dumped in his mind so suddenly; he became so traumatized by it that he only found his voice only rising, and it became so loud that it managed to draw attention.

Some stopped and watched in amusement the young man who was scared of the ride.

And perhaps… it was true.

He was really afraid…terrified even… but more of the ride that was his life.

Chen continued screaming… screaming more out of agony; the turbulence inside surfacing for people to witness.

People were piling now; pointing and snickering at the latter who was cowardly.

Krystal pushed her way through until she stood in the front line; her eyes never leaving Chen. It didn’t take her long to realize that something was wrong… something was terribly wrong with him.

Without much thought, she found her legs taking her to the ticket booth where she urgently asked for a ticket.

The bored looking lady behind the glass, much to Krystal’s dismay, slowly pulled out the stack of tickets. She cut one off before scribbling something on its back.

“Quickly, please.” Krystal pleaded while averting her gaze back to Chen anxiously.

“You’re really excited, aren’t you?” The lady chuckled to herself and started looking for something. “You know… ”

“Please.” Krystal snapped not giving her any space to say anything. The lady didn’t seem to take so well; she scoffed at Krystal’s rather rude attitude before practically throwing the ticket in her face. “Here you go… that would be…”

Krystal didn’t wait for her to continue and slid some cash before hurrying back to him. Upon seeing the amount of money, the lady began calling in franticness.

“Hey… your change.” She tried several times, but it was to no avail, she sulked back to her seat mumbling incoherent curses to herself seemingly in a fouler mood than earlier.

Krystal cared the least and only continued running back. Swiftly, she ascended the three steps until she was finally standing in front of a stout man that was wearing a uniform with a ‘May I help you’ written on its back.

“I need to get in.” She ordered breathlessly upon reaching him.

“Sure, miss. You’ll just have to wait for the next ride.”

“No… I need to get in right now.” she pleaded again, but he only shook his head. He opened his mouth about to say something, but she continued again. “You don’t understand…”

“I’m sorry, but you’ll have to wait. It’s only a matter of seconds anyway.” He cut her off; getting a little impatient with her but feigning calmness anyways.

Seconds. Only Seconds.

Krystal tried to control herself, but one look at Chen’s face caused her to panic once again. What the hell was happening in there that caused him to act so…so what? she didn’t exactly know.

It wasn’t like anyone could see that something was off, but his cries and screams almost sounded… helpless? She heard excited screams before, and surely this was far from one. Although his eyes were closed, his eyebrows were pulled together in a frown causing his face to look almost troubled.

This… was certainly not the look of someone having fun.

A sound went off yet again causing her head to snap up. She didn’t pause upon seeing the cart slowing down and finally coming to a stop. She didn’t wait for the man to take the ticket from her either. Instead, she threw it to him before climbing inside the long cart.

She froze momentarily; her face paling upon seeing Chen’s face.

His eyes were still closed; making it impossible for him to notice her presence, but there were tears; awful lot of them streaming down his face now like a tide wave.

Krystal was clueless at what to do right then, her mind turning blank after seeing the ed up state he was currently in.

Moments later, she was thankful for her legs who started taking slow, hesitant steps towards him while gulping the lump that has formed in .

He was seated at the far back alone, leaving two empty seats at each side of him. He was no longer screaming, but was sitting with his straightened like he was still in the ride.

Finally reaching him, she could see how badly he was shaking. The sobs and whimpers that occasionally escaped his mouth shattered her, but she tried to pull herself together. One of them had to act strong; that much she was aware of.

 

“Chen… Chen, the ride’s over… Chen, we’re here.” He could hear voices so far away, but close enough for him to here. They tried to assure, but it was seemingly to no avail.

“Chen…” they continued. He could hear Joonmyun’s laugh from somewhere, and he would’ve beat him up if he wasn’t so incapable right now.

He was slightly relieved that the voices were back though because it was a little reminder that he’s friends were here… although a false one.

“Chen…”

“Chen…”

The voices were starting to get a little clearer now… but Joonmyun’s… Joonmyun’s was only slowly fading away.

Some time, somewhere, along the ride, Chen has lost the warmth that Krystal’s hand offered. He didn’t know when exactly because it sort of vanished suddenly without him realizing until it was already too late.

But right now, right now he could swear that she was touching him again. He grabbed onto her; terrified that if he let go, her touch would soon vanish again.  He needed something; anything to confirm his friends' presence… that everything was back again… just like old times.

 

Krystal brushed his hands hesitantly; not sure if it was the right thing to do right now. She was about to pull away when she suddenly felt his tight grip on her. her eyes widened when she saw him holding onto it so hopelessly. They went up again to his; more sobs leaving his mouth, yet his eyes were still closed… tightly so like he wouldn’t ever want to open them again.

“Chen…” She continued trying again in distress inching a little closer to him.

 

“Chen… I’m here.” Ever so slowly, his eyes started to flutter open. He blinked fast; his vision still hazy from all the tears, but he could detect a silhouette… it belonged to his friend, his long gone friend; he realized.

A whimper left his mouth before he brought him into a bone crushing hug.

Krystal froze in her place with Chen’s hands now suffocating her into a tight embrace. She didn’t dare to move even though it was making it a little hard for her to breathe.

“It’s okay…” she suddenly found herself exhaling in a low whisper; not sure whether she was reassuring him or herself more.

Chen stiffened upon hearing the words…this wasn’t… this was far from Joonmyun’s voice.

He abruptly dragged back; expecting his eyes to find his best friend, but they only fell on a female figure; a familiar one.

Krystal saw disappointment flashing through his eyes before he broke their gaze. He looked around in franticness searching for any sign of Joonmyun. BUT HE WAS JUST HERE…He screamed internally, but no sound came out of his mouth.

“No” He began; his eyes searching every inch. “No…No…No…” He brought his lips between his teeth; biting it down to stop it from quivering; so hard that he eventually tasted the blood.

“Chen?” She asked unsurely while trying to meet his gaze again. He looked like he was about to go hysteric in any second; if he hadn't yet. “Chen, look at me.” She tried again more sharply. She knew that he needed to snap out of whatever was happening to him right now.

Even though he was seated right next to her, she felt like he was only physically there. He didn’t seem to realize anything from his surroundings right now but more focused on finding whatever he was so hopelessly looking for.

“Chen…look at me. Chen look at me.” She tried but he refused to listen. He was too shocked… has he been hallucinating all this time?

“No…”

Her hands were placed on his cheeks before she finally forced him to look her way; his widened eyes meeting her worried ones. Silence fell between them as he continued looking at her with uncontrolled breaths. Every part of his body was still trembling as he continued looking at her for what felt like a very long time.

He was first to break the eye contact. He looked around once again; widened eyes wandering again seemingly trying to fathom where he was. He gulped before meeting Krystal’s gaze again. The shaking was almost over now, and his eyes seemed drained out of any liquid to pour out, but he still looked so shocked; so perplexed and confused. His head tilted a little at her as if trying to understand her presence right now.

He resembled a little kid right then to her, so utterly lost. 

It didn’t take him long before it clicked.

It’s all has been a lie…Joonmyun’s presence was nothing but a mere lie that his sadistic brain seemed to enjoy creating.

His puzzlement was slowly dissolving away, but much to his chagrin, embarrassment and shame were filling its place instead.

“Chen?” She asked with a voice above a whisper, but he seemed to hear her because he flinched like the sound caused harm to his ears.

He was now aware of how ed up he might’ve looked those last minutes that dragged on to him like an eternity, and out of all people, she was there to witness his destruction.

He was so embarrassed, but also so angry for his foolishness.

Did he actually believe, was he really that stupid to believe that Joonmyun was here? What? Came back from the dead?

He wanted to laugh at himself, yet again… here he was… looking so pitiful. He was really disgusted of himself right then.

His head fell upon realizing that something was keeping him glued in his place. The sight of the seatbelt still clamped on him caused him to go a little mad.

His hands started working wildly on their own; wanting to pull the damn thing away from him. “Here let me help you.” Krystal tried soothingly seeing how agitated he looked then. Her hands tried to stop his, but it was instinctively pushed away.

“Don’t.” He seethed; sending her a glare before continuing.

“.” He screamed seconds later causing her to jump a little from his loud outburst.

He tried to let out a deep breath. He just needed this crappy thing away and he could get the hell out of this damned place. He tried again; his hands trembling a little at first but he eventually managed to make them stop.

It took him few more seconds until he was finally free to leave.

Without glancing at her, he swiftly stood up and started walking; wanting to put as much distance between them. His legs were a little wobbly at first resulting in sending him to the ground with a loud thud. 

Surprisingly though, he swiftly got up; stumbling a little but eventually managed to balance himself and to finally walk what could pass as normally considering his state. Krystal wouldn’t dare touch or talk to him, but stayed at a close proximity.

He continued walking again; this time thankfully without falling off again. He found people piling the small entrance that belonged to the coaster. All eyes were now fixed on him; watching silently.

What had he done?

They parted like the sea for Moses giving him a small path to walk in. His head turned to the floor; passing them with a walk of shame before his legs began moving a little faster on their own and, unbeknownst to him, with Krystal trailing behind.

He didn’t know how far he walked, he hoped for another planet because right now, he couldn’t bring himself to look at any living creature.

“Chen wait…” Krystal called as she tried to keep up with his pace. 

Calling him didn’t seem to work at first because he continued ignoring her; even increasing his speed a bit hoping that he would lose her, but she just pushed herself harder.

He abruptly stopped and turned around to her with a sharp glare. “What? What the hell do you want?” He began with a loud voice.

She stopped too, couple of steps away from him though. She tried to catch her breaths momentarily before opening to reply.

“Wasn’t it already entertaining to watch? My intastic show back there?” He spat not giving her any chance to say anything. “What could you possibly want right now? Another splendid show?”

Never had she seen him with such venom. She was at loss of words not knowing how to act around him in this state. “I-I” She could only stuttered; it appeared.

“You what Krystal? You what? Did you really not get the message? Or does your brain actually function that slowly? Maybe I should say it directly in your face then.” He paused his eyes piercing into her.

“…Stay the hell away from me.”

 


AN: Sooo... Chen isn't that bad, I swear.

And... did you stop hating Yi Fan a little? 

I, myself, still not so sure if that was enough.

ANYWAY..

Don't forget to tell me how you find this.

I stayed the entire night writing this, and I'm sligthly anxious about how it went.

So... COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT.

Also... you can subscribe and upvote... yeah that sounds lovely too.

hehe..

LOVE YOU xoxo