Chapter 19

Saudade

Standing behind a throng of people, Krystal kept bouncing trying to catch a glimpse of the ones who’ve just existed through the widely opened glass doors. People crowded in front of her welcoming their loved ones back home in delight and blocking her view. They made it impossible for her to see anything considering her petit figure. In front of her, tight embraces were shared and loud excited shouts were traded making her a little impatient with every minute that ticked by without finding him.

She frantically searched for him between all these faces that surrounded her. Noticing the last person walking out, Krystal heaved a sigh before returning back to her seat with a head hung low.

She’s been informed that Yi fan’s flight was delayed to God knew when she arrived to the airport. So, for the past couple of hours, she’s been waiting here.

Whenever she noticed a swarm of people hurrying and piling in front one of the exit doors, she’d hastily trail behind them in the hopes of finally seeing him emerging from there. She’d lost count to the number of times she’d walked back to her seat in disappointment.

Yi Fan has sent her another text last night with his flight’s details and ended it with a ‘If you wanted to pick me up.’ The text was small and straight to the point, yet it managed to get into her nerves and infuriate her.  She’d secretly waited for another one, yet it dawned on her after a while that he wasn’t sending any. Being sent straight to voice note when she tried to call him afterwards, she simply wanted nothing more than to strangle him right then and there. The jerk didn’t even have the decency to call. Hell, he didn’t even mention anything about missing her; he didn’t seem even the slightest bit apologetic for abandoning her like that.

She’d deliberated not coming here, but waking up early this morning, her legs itched to move. She couldn’t sit still knowing that he was finally coming back. That’s how much she’d missed him. Sometimes a person needs to momentarily forget about his pride and listen to his desires when it comes to friends; she realized.

So here she was, a scowl evident on her face as she sipped the now cold bitter coffee she’s ordered earlier.

“Yi Fan?” Hearing the familiar name, Krystal slowly turned her head towards the source of the sound. A tall latter; seemingly Yi Fan’s age or a couple of years younger, was standing a few steps away from her seat. With his branded clothes that managed to accentuate his figure and his dyed white hair that was perfected into a sleek quiff, he managed to turn heads. His narrow eyes that were slightly emphasized with a thin line of black eyeliner were fixed on her sign in confusion. 

Finally seeming to notice the frown on his face, Krystal cleared upon realizing that she’s been staring for the past few minutes or so. She averted her eyes away from him and followed his gaze. It finally clicked when she looked at the piece of paper that was placed in front of her.

“Oh…this.” she mumbled to herself.

“Yours? I mean… Yi Fan as in doctor Yi fan or am I mistaken?”

“Yeah…" She trailed off unsurely. "Do you know him?"

“Know him?” He chuckled as if it was ridiculous from her to ask such thing. “We're practically a family.” He explained before grabbing a chair from a nearby table and settling on it across her.

She eyed his actions unsurely; she found it a little strange that he hadn't even asked for her permission. However, she forced a smile on her lips and nodded as an acknowledgment to his words.

“I’m Tao by the way.” He added while extending his hand to her in which she shook. “Krystal.”

“Wait… Krystal?” He inquired with a hint of incredulity evident in his voice. “The Krystal?”

“I guess?” She smiled awkwardly before shrugging in cluelessness.

“Wow… I finally got to meet you.” He commented with a glint of mischief evident in his eyes before he sat back on the chair. “Out of all the things he said about you… he couldn’t mention that you were that pretty?”

Krystal didn’t get the chance to react to his words because the instant the last words came out of his mouth, Tao received a smack on his head. “Don’t flirt with her, you idiot.” Someone suddenly grumbled startling them both.

There he was, standing behind Tao with a suitcase held in his hands. His pale face and the dark circles underneath his eyes indicated sleep deprivation. He looked quite tired and drowsy like he was barely keeping himself from falling. His blonde hair was messily combed; like he’d raked it through his fingers before stepping off the plane, and his clothes were crumpled. He looked disheveled; a sight that was rare.

“Owww”

“YI FAN!” Krystal and Tao both cried in unison.

She jumped from her seat the instant her eyes landed on him and tackled him. She buried her face in his chest and heaved a contented sigh when she inhaled his familiar scent. “I hate you.” She mumbled and it came off slightly muffled.

Yi fan chuckled before softly patting her back. “I missed you too.” He whispered before tightening the embrace nearly suffocating them both.

“What about me Hyung?” Tao inquired with sadness evident in his voice. Breaking away, Yi fan was the first to notice the mischievous smile that was formed on his lips.  However, it quickly disappeared and was replaced with a pout when Krystal looked his way.

Yi fan didn’t acknowledge his presence and shifted his eyes back to Krystal. “How have you been?”

“I’ve been… good, I guess? How have you been yourself? You look kind of…” she trailed off racking for a word that could describe how he looked without sounding so rude.

“Crap.” Tao beat her to it and it earned him a glare from Yi fan’s side.

“No… not that bad.” She commented while biting her lip in order to refrain herself from laughing. Sobering up, she asked. “Was it that hectic?”

“You have no idea.” He replied almost instantly before letting out a sigh in exasperation. “Anyways…I’m just glad that it’s finally over.”

“Is it?” Tao asked in all seriousness. Yi fan’s lips curved up into a half smile. “I hope.” Was only his reply in which Tao found so vague and confusing. He wanted to question him further, but he knew better not to when Krystal was around. Therefore, he closed his mouth for now although rather reluctantly.

“Well… it better be because I’m not going to let you abandon me like that again.” Krystal spoke with narrowed eyes.

“That… you surely don’t need to worry about.” He paused feeling the need to change the subject; it was too early for this talk. “I’m starving… so, lunch’s on me?”

“Yeaaah!” They both chimed in response.

Yi fan was about to start walking but suddenly paused when he caught a glimpse of the paper that laid on the table.

Yi fan :)!!

JERK!!!!!

Krystal smiled sheepishly while awkwardly scratching the back of her neck when she saw what he was looking at. He diverted his gaze towards her and stared at her in amusement. “Uhh… Well… I didn’t handle the news about your delayed flight so well?” She tried to explain but it came out more like a question.

“I guess I didn’t too.” Tao mumbled guiltily before his eyes flickered to his own sign.

Welcome home Hyung! :D

Get your over here already.

“I feel so loved.” 

 

 

They eventually settled for a restaurant inside the airport. Apparently, Tao was ‘too hungry’ to wait any longer, and his constant whining was slowly and mercilessly driving Yi Fan mad.

They chose a small dimly lit place where everything smelt and looked mouthwatering. After ordering their food, upon Krystal’s request, he began telling her about his friendship with Yi Fan; how they met, how long they’ve known each other for, and the in-between details. Yi fan didn’t engage in the conversation; he munched his food silently while occasionally sending Tao murderous glares.

For once, he hoped to spend the entire day with Krystal; to quieten the frenzy that was happening inside of him, but the small wish of his was crushed by Tao’s actions. He couldn’t fathom why the latter was acting like that; why he wouldn’t leave them alone for even couple of seconds when he already knew everything; how desperate he was. He needed explanation, and he didn’t know how long he’ll be able to continue feigning calmness.

It wasn’t until a while later that Krystal finally directed a question to Yi Fan. “So how was the convention?” He opened his mouth ready to speak when Tao suddenly beat him to it. “It was pretty awesome… like there were a lot of researchers from every part of the world. Magical.” Tao answered with eyes twinkling in excitement.

“Wait… you were there?” Krystal’s eyebrows were pulled together into a frown. She paused momentarily deliberating something inside of her head. “Then how did you arrive earlier than him?”

Like a deer caught in sheer light, his eyes widened. He gulped as he tried to rack his brain for a reply. “Uh… I…”

“His grandmother was rushed to the hospital when we were there, so he was excused to leave earlier than others.” Yi Fan explained with a contained voice even though he was far from calm. The boy was practically having a panic attack, and it was all because of the idiot who was sitting across of him.

“Is she okay?” Miraculously convinced by his voice, Krystal asked in worrisome.

“Dead.” Yi Fan replied coldly without tearing his eyes off Tao.

“Oh… I’m… I’m sorry for your loss.”

Tao brushed it off with a small smile, but it soon stretched when the waiter arrived with their food. He was practically drooling at the mouthwatering plate in front of him.

“So how was the rest of your stay? Did everything go well?” Tao asked before shoving a handful of food inside of his mouth.

“Pig.” Yi fan commented in disgust while rolling his eyes. “At least fake knowing etiquette. There’s a guest.” He glanced at Krystal before shifting his gaze back to Tao.

“First, she’s not a guest. She’s your best friend, and I practically know her from all of your endless conversations about her.” He began with mouth filled with food causing few bites to be thrown of his mouth. Krystal snapped her head towards Yi fan as if wanting to confirm if Tao’s words were true only to receive an apologetic shameless smile from him.

“Dude… you’ve practically strewn all the food that was inside your mouth on my plate.” Yi fan spoke while eyeing his plate in disgust. “I lost my appetite.” He then shoved his plate away towards Tao while scrunching his face.

“I didn’t finish what I was saying actually.” Tao remarked with a mischief gleam in his eyes. “Krystal…I think you should see this.” Tao said before swiping his phone to unlock it. He searched through it for few moments before a devilish smile crept on his face.

“What? What is it? Are you going to show her something?” Panicking, Yi fan spoke fast while trying to take a peak from Tao’s phone.

He was about to snatch it from his hands but Krystal beat him to it. She burst out laughing the instant her eyes landed on the screen. “Oh my god” She exclaimed and continued laughing wholeheartedly.

It was a picture of Yi fan practically mauling an entire piece of pizza inside his mouth. “You look like you’re fighting with it, not eating it.”

When her laughter finally died down, she glanced at his plate only to find a fork and a knife placed on top of the rest of his uneaten pizza. With quirked eyebrow, she teased. “Etiquette? Really? You’re the one who’s teaching him Yi fan when you need an excessive course yourself?”

“I was hungry, okay?” He tried to justify but it was brushed off by Tao’s chuckle. “Well, you started it.” He scowled at Tao before fishing his own phone out.

“Don’t.” Tao warned but only to receive a scoff from him. “I’ve got pictures that could flush your prestige down the toilet.” He tried again.

“Yeah? Well guess what? I’ve got more.” He narrowed his eyes before averting his gaze back to his phone searching for his secret folder.

“No, please hyung. Please.” Tao pleaded whiningly, but his attempt was futile; Yi fan already set his mind on it.

“Ahaah.” Yi fan suddenly exclaimed in glee before handing Krystal his phone. “This’s Tao’s reaction whenever he sees a bug; a friendly reminder that he plays martial arts.”

“What? Which picture did you show her? How do I look in it?”

“Epic.” Yi fan chose the word perfectly before laying his back on the chair and folding his arms together with victory written all over his face.

 

The two boys started attacking her with endless horrifying pictures; from their derp faces to awkward silly poses. They sat together inside the restaurant for God knows how long oblivious about the glares that they received from everyone around them. It wasn’t until a couple of hours later or so that their laughter and loud voices caused them to be kicked out of the place after receiving endless futile warnings from the owners.

“So… Tao… Didn’t you mention earlier that you were busy today?” Yi Fan casually spoke when they walked out.

“Nope… I don’t think so.” He replied feigning thoughtfulness.

“Are you sure?” Yi fan pressed while mentally snapping his head from its place.

“Positive.” He avoided meeting Yi fan’s gaze for he knew that the latter was probably sending him murderous glares. He couldn’t help but form a smug grin on his face.

“But I’m pretty sure you’ve…”

“You’re talking as if you don’t want him here. Let him be… He would’ve remembered if it was something important.” Krystal interrupted.

“Yeah… it’s been couple of weeks since I’ve last seen you, and this’s how you act.” He joined her while feigning hurt.

Yi fan cursed under his breath before forcing a smile on his face, but it soon fell when Krystal looked away. “You’re dead.” He mouthed to Tao who only smiled innocently in return.

 

It wasn’t until a while later that the two boys were temporarily left alone to talk when Krystal announced that she was going to get something to drink. Tao seized the chance to ask his friend about his whereabouts during the few last weeks that he spent by himself.

“How was it? Did it work?” Tao inquired; worry laced with his voice.

“What do you think?” Yi fan asked sarcastically and let out a humorless chuckle. His expression then suddenly hardened before he turned to Tao. “Why did you come to the airport? And why did you introduce yourself to her? Stick around when I obviously wanted some time alone with her?” He grumbled.

“I thought you would need me.” He pouted. “You sounded so helpless, so desperate when I called you; I couldn’t leave you alone knowing that you might do something stupid. I want you to rationally think about every step before taking it.” He honestly explained recalling his last conversation with Yi fan. He was drunk then and was on the verge of breaking down through the phone. Tao has been too scared back then. He hadn’t witnessed his hyung like that before, and he didn’t really know how to react during these times that he considered calling Krystal and telling her everything. Luckily, he turned his phone off before doing anything stupid.

“I wasn’t going to do anything stupid. I’ve stayed enough time alone to figure out and think of every step I’ll take.”

“I can detect from your words that you haven’t gotten over her.” Tao observed silently hoping that he was wrong.

“It’s become only worse. It made me realize how much I want her.” Desperation and sincerity was evident on his face that it left Tao silent. He wanted to remind him how wrong it was; how impossible was it for her to return his feelings, and even if she did, it’ll be only for a short span of time. He didn’t want to see his hyung heart broken and hurt, but he was too stunned by the look on his face that he couldn’t speak out any of his thoughts to him right then.

“I’m going to confess.” Yi fan announced determinably. “I’ve had enough time to think it through, and I realized that this’s what I really need.”

“Hyung…”

“Please don’t.” Yi fan’s desperate plea silenced him. He wanted to protest; to shake his friend until he realized how foolish it is, but he couldn’t when he was already in this state. “I don’t want your support or anything… I know that you already think it’s ridiculous, and maybe it really is… but… What if… what if there was the slightest possibility that she has feelings for me too? I don’t want to regret it later.”

“And what if she doesn’t feel the same? You’ll regret it if you guys drifted apart because of it.”

Yi fan frowned. He didn’t like that Tao voiced out his earlier fear. “I think… it’ll lessen the pain anyways if we drifted apart.” He replied honestly. Even though the mere thought of it sent shivers to his spine, he knew very well the accuracy of it. He’d never get over it if he was constantly surrounded by her company.

“You sound…wise?” Tao’s lips twitched up as he tried to lighten the mood a little.

Yi fan chuckled before replying with a quirked eyebrow. “I’m a psychiatrist, aren’t I? Of course, I’d be wise.”

“Trust me… even psychiatrists turn insane when it comes to love.”

“Ew… no…you’re being cheesy.” He grimaced while laughing. 

Silence fell between them, but it was short lived because Tao suddenly spoke. "Good Luck, hyung." He added a faint hwaiting before grinning reassuringly.

 

 

Toa left not long after. Although Yi fan had wanted him to leave him and Krystal alone since his arrival, he resented it when he actually did.

Temporary silence fell between the two as they both watched Tao’s figure disappearing. All of a sudden, Yi fan felt uncomfortable with being alone with her that he deliberated excusing himself too and following his friend. He decided against it though.

“Wanna go sit somewhere?” He asked causally few minutes later, and Krystal only nodded with a smile as a response.

 

That ‘somewhere’ ended to be a bench that was located in a park. Families strolled while their kids fooled around not so far away from their sight. The sound of the children’s laughter and their delighted squeaks resonated through the place making it joyful.  The sun was setting somewhere so far away turning the sky into a beautiful shade of pink and orange.

Upon Krystal’s request, he began telling her about his work-trip; even adding few more details from his own imagination in order to sound interesting. For the first time, he was nervous as hell around her; thinking too much about every word he’d utter and even silently reprimanding himself after uttering few ones. He wanted… he so wanted to impress her.

He felt so self-conscious all of a sudden; he kept reminding himself with every flaw he had and even imaginary ones. It felt like she was holding a magnifying glass and inspecting every inch of him. He had the urge to hide in a place where she wouldn’t find him and cower away.

Everything sounded wrong; he felt like everything about him was completely wrong and like he was overly flawed to the extent where he believed that she’d have the right to reject him right away or laugh off at his expression.

For the first time, the charismatic Yi fan was gone and replaced with a very insecure person that was strange even to himself.

His weirdness didn’t go unnoticed to Krystal, and she eventually asked him a while later when he stopped talking if something was wrong with him. Of course, he panicked but tried to brush it off with a nervous chuckle.

“You’re acting… weird.” She noted with a frown.

“No I’m not.” He quickly defended.  He heaved a sigh before continuing. “I’m sorry…I guess work has finally taken its toll on me.”

“Is it really just work?”

‘No. It’s you.’ he silently thought. “Yes.” He said instead. If she asked again; if she just pushed him a little further to speak, he wouldn’t hold it any longer and he’ll surely spill everything.

To his chagrin though, she only nodded.

He hid his disappointment with a huge grin and decided to change the subject by asking about her whereabouts. Krystal seized the chance to tell him about everything that had happened during the entire time he was away. She began by announcing that she had met someone, and luckily his surprised expression went unnoticed by her.

‘I met someone.’ And just like that, he felt like every part of him ceased to function. He didn’t hear any word she said afterwards; all that resonated through his mind was those three words that managed to shatter him, and all he could think of was that he’d wasted time denying his feelings for her; wasted so much time trying to sort them out that it’s become too late. ‘I love you.’ The words were at the tip of his tongue; wanting to be uttered, but whenever he tried to; whenever he opened his mouth; she’d cut him off with words about that latter whom he already loathed.

“Yi fan, are you listening to what I’m saying?” Krystal asked a while later with a quirked eyebrow.

The question managed to snap him out of his trance, and he mumbled a yes as a reply.

“So Chen…” She was about to continue again, but he interrupted.

“Wait… what’s his name again?” He inquired; his interest suddenly piqued.

“Chen.”

“Chen?” He echoed thoughtfully. It took him few minutes to finally recall where he’d hear this name before.

“What? Do you know someone with this name?”

“No.” He lied. “Anyways, continue.” He quickly added before she asks anymore questions.

She needn’t to be told twice.

Yi fan was once again too absorbed by his thoughts to hear any of her words. Even though he’d hoped that he wouldn’t get to hear this name again; at least not from Krystal, he’d expected it. He knew very well that he wouldn’t be able to stay away from her; especially when they both lived in the same town and went to the same school. It was almost impossible for him to keep his distance.

A thought suddenly popped in his head, but he felt so terrible for even letting it seep through his mind. He tried to force it away, but it kept invading him.

Could he… bring himself to do such a terrible thing?

He shook his head; trying to snap himself out, and throughout the rest of the time he spent with her, he tried so hard to busy himself with listening to her and focusing on every word she uttered.

But… it was so damn hard to do so.

 

 

“I’m so glad you’re back.” Krystal said with broad smile. They were now standing in front of her house after he’d insisted to take her home.

He couldn’t help but wrap his arms around her petit body. He brought her closer to him; embracing her so tightly. “I’m glad I’m finally home.” He breathed before inhaling her sweet scent. He stayed like that for a few moments relishing the warmth of her body being tangled to his.

The sound of a door opening forced him to step away from her. Krystal quickly moved away; keeping a decent distance between the two of them. Her mother came out with a thrilled expression evident on her face. “Yi Fan! You’re finally back!” She spoke enthusiastically. “Krystal’s been whining constantly since you left.”

“Mom…” Krystal groaned shaking her head when Yi fan turned to look at her.

“I can imagine… she hadn’t stopped spamming me with her texts either.” He teased causing her to send him a murderous glare.

“I’m going inside.” Krystal announced feigning annoyance and started ascending the few steps to the door. She suddenly paused turning around to face Yi fan who was watching her in amusement. “You’re not getting a good night.”

“You already received a hug. You’re not hoping for a kiss, were you?” Her mother suddenly piped in causing Yi fan to let out a wholehearted laugh.

“That’s it. I’m going inside.”

 

“Thank you for bringing her home.” Her mother spoke when their laughter eventually died down. She said a faint goodbye and was ready to walk inside when he suddenly called her.

“Yeah?”

“There’s something you should know.” He paused letting out a shaky breath. “It’s about Chen.” He added; the words automatically coming out of his mouth.

 

Shame and regret washed over him the instant he started walking away from her home. He wanted to walk back there and tell her that everything’s just said was a complete lie, but he realized that the damage was already done.

He’d thought that he’d feel happy when he tells her, and when he sees the furious expression on her face, but why did he feel so horrible?

He fished his phone out of his pocket and dialed the number he memorized by heart.

“Hyung! How did it go?” A chirpy voice suddenly answered.

“Tao… I did something… I did the most terrible thing.” 

 


AN: Here're the glorious picutres! hehe..

  

 

Don't forget to comment/subscribe/upvote! 
Thank youuu:*:*