Four

Red
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It has been a rather calm night at the cardiology wing as the clock struck 12 turning into a new day. Hana was at the nurse’s station, taking her sweet time chit chatting with the nurses. Suddenly her pager beeped continuously and they were interrupted when a petite young woman dressed in a pink nurse’s uniform came running towards the station in panic to grab the trolley of medical equipments.

“Emergency in room 327! Dr Han wants all interns present.”

Hana and Chanhyuk who were together for the night shift, sprinted with all their might towards the room at the end of the hall. Hana was the first to enter the room followed by the rattling cart that contained the medical supplies that was pushed in by the nurse. In there she saw her patient, fighting for his life. The agony was obvious on his face as he gasped for air. Seunghyun panting as sweat trickled down his temple. She hastily pressed her stethoscope on his bare chest that gleamed by sweat.

“Stat?” Dr Han asked as he entered the room, his face was stern and with a demanding tone.

“I gave him cilazapril but BP keeps rising. It’s at 190/150. Oxygen saturation is 80. Vitals are all over the place. His heart is pumping too fast.” Dr Park announced. Hana panicked to a point that her head was blank and she didn’t know what to do. She grabbed Seunghyun’s hand and kept shouting at him.

“Seunghyun stay with me. Don’t close your eyes yet. Seunghyun please.”

The stabbing sensation to his heart was excruciating. He was scared. Seunghyun’s cold hands squeezed her softly. His soft hands were in hers. His grip was weak yet Hana’s heart pounded so loud she could actually hear it. Despite that, she allowed him to hand onto her.

“Seunghyun ssi we are going to send electrical waves through your body so we can slow down your heart rate. Dr Im, set the defibrillator to 150.” Dr Han instructed.

Hana was losing her self-control when she heard her name being called. She knew how to use the equipment well yet her hands trembled like it was her first time. Chanhyuk was looking at her, his glare was full of tense.

“I’ll do it.” He said taking the plates out of Hana’s hand.

“150. Clear!” He shouted. Hana squeezed Seunghyun’s hand one last time before she let go and took a step back from the bed. Seunghyun screamed as the electricity travelled through his body. He was on the verge of tears.

“No change.” Hana barked to everyone. Her chief’s grim expression and intense stare was locked on the heart monitor that beeped so fast.

“Amp up to 200.” He ordered.

“200. Clear!” Dr Park announced as before.

An agonizing scream emitted through the whole room. Seunghyun was in tears trying to withstand the electricity travelling through him. He was clenching his pearly white teeth so hard. He was pale with all the colors drained from him as his colorless lips quiver.

“It’s working!” Hana shouted in delight with her eyes glued monitoring the screen. Without realizing it she grabbed Seunghyun’s hand in merriment. The relive washed over her like a good cold shower in summer.

“Hey doc, if I ever get out of this bed I will kick your for making me scream and shout like a baby in front of the girl I’m trying to impress.’ He teased breathlessly. He was gasping for air and tired as if he just ran a thousand miles. Cautious that she was still holding Seunghyun’s hand, she pulled her hands quickly. The nurses and doctors in the room were smiling and giggling at her. She felt the blood rush to her head as the heat escaped her face. Hana smiled shyly looking to the black sneakers on her feet, unable to meet the gazes of her coworker.

“I’ll gladly be kicked. Now wrap it up here. And oh, Dr Im keep a close watch on Seunghyun ssi tonight.” Her boss winked teasingly at her. Once again Hana’s fair complexion gave away her blushing cheeks.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter