Two

Red
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The phone that lay on the bedside table vibrated endlessly. It was so loud and disturbing that I simply had to open my eyes. The banging and pounding in my head was literally killing me. I shouldn’t have drank too much last night I thought to myself. I grunted lazily, my hands reaching for my phone on the table. The bright light from the screen was hurting my eyes that were half opened. I answered the call without looking at the caller ID.

 

“Yeoboseo” I asked sleepily with my speech slurred.

“Yah! Unnie! Where are you? Why aren’t you here? Have you forgotten that Professor Shim is giving us the reassignment today? Get your here pailli!”

My eyes shot open and I jumped out of bed. In a blink of an eye I was on my feet, scrambling towards the bathroom. The phone still stuck to my ears as I listened to Chaerin’s booming voice across the line, nagging endlessly at me.

“Alright alright I’m on my way.” I said putting down the phone on the bathroom counter.

Jumping into the shower and washing up in the speed of light. I tied my brown red hair into a messy bun hurriedly. I simply picked out an outfit and in less than thirty minutes I was out the door and running towards the bus stop. It was my luck today that I arrived at the bus stop in the nick of time as the bus was just about to leave. I plopped myself on the bus seat, puffing out in relieve as I looked at my watch. I had fifteen minutes to get to the auditorium where Professor Shim was going to announce which department we were reassigned to.

I sprinted towards the lecture theater with all my might. I burst through the doors just in time, a few seconds before the professor himself entered. I sighed at ease, looking through the crowd that filled the hall and saw Dara’s tiny figure standing up from her seat as she flapped both her hands above her head trying to catch my attention. I smiled as I made my way towards my friends.

“Aish, you shouldn’t have drank too much last night.” Bommie said smacking my as I struggled making my way towards the empty seat next to Dara while the others giggled in pleasure at me.

“Bommie unnie, as if you don’t know Hana unnie well, her name is synonym with alcohol.” Our maknae teased, laughing into her hands to hush her laughter.

“Ya, ya, I know I know, I’m a wreck when it comes to alcohol. By the way, gomawo Chaerin ah.” I said looking at her who was sitting silently next to Bom. Chaerin smiled sincerely simply nodding at me.

I shifted my attention towards the professor who was standing on the stage in front of the hall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Good morning interns. This is going to be your last reassignment before you complete your one year housemen ship. All those 6 years of hard work and sleepless nights of studying and cramping your heads with information will be rewarded once you get your official medical license. Therefore do your best. When I call your name please come up front to meet your team and as usual head to your respective departments to report to the captain of each department.”

 

They all sat quietly, anticipating in nervousness. The intern who has received their new divisions exited the auditorium with their teammates. Bom, Dara, Minzy and Chaerin all had their names called, leaving me alone in my seat to wait in anxiety.

“Im Hana”

I heard my name being called out, snapping me back to reality. I was lost in thought. I scrambled grabbing my things and stepped to approach the old man standing in front.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Lee Seunghyun”

 

That name caught my attention and my eyes lingered throughout the hall. There at the other end of the auditorium was the one person I never wanted to see ever in my life again. I felt anger surging through my system as my blood boiled under my skin. He was staring at my direction. His gaze locked on me. He too was clearly shocked by the arrangement. We didn’t greet each other but we simply ignored each other’s presences. We were both standing in a crowded room so close to each other yet none of us uttered a single word. It seemed like a contest of wits on who can ignore one another the longest. I’ve never heard silence to a certain extent that it seems to be ringing in my ears so loud. Our team was assigned to the cardiology department. I was the only girl in the group of four interns allocated in the cardiology division. The four of us made our way towards the cardio wing in silence. We stood in front of the chief’s office. One looking at the other, we were nervous to meet the person in command.

“Daehyun! It’s good to work with you again.” I said to the short and stout man who stood next to me. He nodded in delight.

“You too Hana.”

A tall and skinny boy with glasses too huge for his face bowed politely at us. His white lab coat seemed too large for his frame but his lanky structure made it necessary for him to fit into a larger size. He smiled goofily at us as he fixed his glasses.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Park Chanhyuk imnida.”

We all smiled at him. The man right in front of me cleared his throat, his face straight and stern, not a single smile cracked on it. His brownish hair was ruffled messily concealing his forehead. His eyes had a lazy gaze lingering in them. He seemed as if he was bored out of his mind.

“Lee Seunghyun. Call me Seungri.” He introduced himself simply as he avoided looking at me. I too looked away, pretending not to realize of his existence in front of me. The other two smiled sincerely at him, only to be looked away at.

 

 

 

“The Cardiology Department where you all are standing in at this very moment is a modern state of the art unit that provides a 24-hour comprehensive cardiac care to patients and is one of the best in South Korea. The department provides a full range of non-invasive and invasive cardiac investigations and treatments including; ECG, Echocardiogram, Exercise Testing, Holter Monitoring, Event Monitors, Pacemaker and Defibrillator follow-up, Transoesophageal Echocardiogram, Cardiac Rehabilitation, specialized heart failure follow-up, acute chest pain assessment, Coronary Angiograph

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter